“Wonderful Vacation!”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #18 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed August 10, 2014

My family and I just got back from our vacation at Playa and it was amazing as always. We often return to this resort because of the amazing hospitality by all the staff and its close proximity to town. We asked for a room with a really good ocean view and all I can say is WOW! It was perfect with an outdoor patio with lounge chairs for laying out. The staff by the pool were awesome! We always lounged by the pool where Luis Fernando took care of us and kept our drinks cool. Thank you Fernando! The entertainment staff, Roberto and Luis were hilarious. Highly recommend Beach Party and Boogie Night. Humberto-thanks for the daily Spanish sessions. Elena for keeping our room clean and leaving great surprises for us with her decorations- the kids loved it thank you so much. The week goes so fast and next thing we know, it's time to leave. Chuy was great as we were ready to leave. He helped us with our luggage, gave us a lift to the lobby, brought our luggage out to the front, made sure our private cab was brought up and loaded our luggage. Now that's service! My family and I thank you all so much for another great vacation at Playa Grande. We hope to see you soon!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank 2014playagrande
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

Dear 2014playagrande,
My entire team and I are delighted that you enjoyed an amazing stay during your recent visit and really appreciate knowing that you recognize the devotion everyone puts into constantly caring for our guests, so we can provide a friendly, professional service at all times.
Thank you for taking your time sharing your comments with us!
We look forward to having you back at the resort again in the not too distant future.
Sincerely

Write a ReviewReviews (4,037)

Reviewed August 10, 2014

This is the fourth time we have stayed at Playa Grande. The Resort is beautiful and the service is amazing. We go to Cabo often and this is our favorite place to stay. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The Pool staff is excellent and our food server Luis Fernando at the pool was the best we ever had. Many activities you can participate in or just lay by the pool and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Dear Tara n
Thanks so much for your comments. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I love reading the experiences of our guests, and yours is no exception.
We are glad that your experience with us was a pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.
Sincerely

Reviewed August 10, 2014

I own the developer's unit 2551- a very special place. I have gradually seen service improve over the past 10-12 years. The setting is spectacular, the service is what always limits the experience for an experienced international traveler. One thing I like about PG is that much of the help seems to be longterm, I see many employees seem to stay with PG. This time, we met a new employee- Ivan Salguero- he seemed everywhere! Up in front of lobby, driving our shuttle to our room, driving bus shuttle to Grand Solmar. Always pleasant, hardworking, and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Raul C

Dear Raul C,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience, we highly value your loyalty as a returning guest and it’s always nice to know we have met your expectations. Comments like yours motivate us constantly to do our best to maintain the quality of the service we provide and to improve every day. For us is really important your feedback and is heart warming to realize that our dedication is in the right path, as our goal is not only to make our guests return but to make them feel more comfortable each time and to notice the improvements in our services.
Thank you again for all your kind comments, we all are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Cordially,

1st time in Cabo and picked this hotel for its location:

LOCATION: It is behind the famous Arch and it is away from all the noise and crazy crowds you'd get if you were staying by the harbor or any hotel in front of Medano beach. Medano beach is the beach where you'd be visiting the most for swimming and for all aquatic activities. Still, didn't want to be hearing loud crowds while I wanted to take a quick nap or if I needed to sleep in early due to my next day morning flight. I liked this hotel as well because its a resort in itself. It is 3 hotels all together next to each other. So, you have more choices for restaurants at walking distance.

WIFI: They have paid wifi. No free wifi anywhere. Wifi is $13 dollars a day.
You can get free wifi in most bars and restaurant. Baja cantina has the best. wifi password is 1234567890

RECEPTION: Reception staff are all really nice, and they all speak english fluently. As soon as you walk up to reception desk you'll see the 4 diamond plaque the hotel recently got this year. Checking in is a 2 step process (this is how they get you). After you check in the reception person will tell you'll need to go to one of the hotel hostesses (desk along the lobby area) where you'll need to pick up your towel card. YOU DO NEED A TOWEL CARD. The towel card is what you'll turn in to the towel attendant by the pool to get a new or return your used towel. Do not lose this card they will charge you $32.00 dollars. When you go to the hostess they will give you all the gimmicks of getting a free breakfast and some credit money (they offered me $150 dollars in food or beverages) as long as I went to go see their new hotel next door the next day and get a free breakfast but what they don't tell you is that you'll be in a 90min seminar as they try to convince you to get a timeshare. Mind you - you could go and get the breakfast for free plus the credit and not buy a timeshare. The question is whether you want to waste your 90mins to that for a free breakfast? It's up to you. Also, to speed up the process with the hostess and start your vacay say yes set up a time and your done. If you decide not to go the next day - just don't go say you made plans and that's it. No harm and no fees for not attending.

ROOM: The higher the floor the better. I got room 2506. The bell boy said it was the best room. And it was. It was high facing the ocean and off the corner away from the elevator and not a side building facing the pool. It was the one right in the middle. We got the junior suite. This is more then enough. It has a mini living room, dinning room table, patio, large bathroom, and large bathtub with seating area inside the tub, a large fridge, a 3 furnace stove, microwave, coffee maker, iron, paper towels, kitchen plates, skillets, pots, & utensils. This room was equipped for you to go out shopping to walmart and cook your own food in the room. It's a good idea especially if you are in a tight budget. Great thing the rooms are really clean and the hotel offers a turndown service.

Activities: Make sure to stay away from activity deals outside the hotels. I did lots and lots of research and I noticed that it was much cheaper to get everything with the hotel concierge. I asked for a discount and I got it. Best concierge is Maria Santiago. She is such a sweetheart!! We got the cactus ATV's for the 9am for $112 (entrance fee nor insurance fee included) & the buccaneer cruise $122 (don't do it - it's a waste of time & money horrible show read below for more info) You can also get jet ski's, the glass boat and so on.

FOOD at Hotel: The hotel offers the all inclusive - which means $87 dollars a day for 3 meals (buffet style) and you could do room service along with all you can drink (nothing imported only domestic drinks nothing premium). By all means take advantage of this IF and ONLY if you are more then 3 people or you'll be spending most of your time at the hotel. If not then it's not worth it. Why? These 3 meals have times so if you are out and about half of the day you'll be missing lunch and arriving back for dinner. You'd probably be buying lunch somewhere else so now you spent double for that one lunch. And you can get cheaper meals elsewhere than $87 dollars a day. I was spending just on my meals each day between 40- 60 dollars a day (this included real drinks).
They do have a great breakfast buffet, amazing omelets, waffles, all sorts of natural juices and you get mammossas. BTW even if you don't have all inclusive you can still have the buffet for breakfast it's $21.

INSIDE HOTEL ACTIVITIES: This hotel has plenty of things that you wouldn't need to leave the hotel. I LOVED & YOU HAVE TO CHECK OUT FIESTA MEXICANA. It's $40 well spent. It's on Monday's. It's all you can eat great food selection, mexican cuisine, and mexican desserts along with all you can drink. Before you even enter the place where the party is held that they are already giving you tequila shorts in these earthenware miniature jugs they hand out. Get there early to get a great spots, preferably middle tables. They have traditional dancing, mariachi, comedy bits, interaction with the audience, and dancing. We didn't think we were going to be up on stage dancing but it was the highlight of our trip. The MC Roberto (MUSSIICA DEEEJAY!) is hilarious and very entertaining. His whole entertainment staff is awesome. You'll see them around the resort more then once.

They are also the ones in charge of kids activities, yoga classes, salsa lessons, spanish lessons, learning how to make bracelets and much more. Make sure to ask for the solmar news to see what's on the schedule. Also, they have ceramic pots where you can paint and pick up later when its dry.

POOL: all pools are 4ft high. Their is an adult only pool it's the one closest to the beach which is great. They also have a pool with a pool bar its the one in the center. They also have pools for kids with games set up.

STAFF: All staff especially more on the restaurant side and cleaning crew are the sweetest and most helpful people.
At the restaurant brigante (where you'd get breakfast buffet) Luis is the best. He takes care of you and is such a hard worker.
Maria Santiago concierge is so knowledgeable and talks to you so sweet. She is really looking out for you.

CON'S - TWEAKS NEEDED or things you would need to prepare or know before going but not to take away from how great the hotel is not a deal breaker:

Eduardo from vallet will ignore you if you are anything but blonde.
Cafe Lobby (inside the lobby) opens till 1pm (no quick breakfast) so your only option is heading out to town or one of the hotel restaurants which food is above $15 dollars.
NO ATM MACHINE. The closest one is the next hotel playa solmar but it doesn't work with visa nor mastercard.
Outside food being delivered. The delivery guy can't drive up to the front lobby. You need to walk down about 3 min way to the kiosk and wait for it there (in a way it's good cause its for the guests protection)
NO FREE WIFI anywhere

Would I stay here again? Yes!!

Room Tip: When you pay in pesos make sure to ask for pesos change back! They like to pay you in dollars becaus...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jennifer E

Dear Alabamawood,
Thank you very much for this detailed and wonderful review, which help all the guests to make the right decision when it comes to choosing the ideal resort for your vacation. It’s a pleasure to know that this experience was a very positive one, highlighted by our great service. I am sure that your feedback will serve as an encouragement to our team, as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
Thank you again for all your kind comments, we are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

We had such a great visit. The room was amazing. We first checked in and was given a room on the first floor next to the pool. Not very much privacy and asked for a room with better privacy. The next day they moved us to a room on the 4th floor. Wonderful. Private and lovely. So accommodating. We enjoyed three days of all inclusive which was great. Then explored the town. I would go back to this resort over and over. We don't get away from our three teens often but celebrated 20"'years here. And they made it wonderful and special. Highly recommend. Also do the tequila tasting. So interesting and fun.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear DreaminOfAdventure,
Thank you so much for sharing such great things about your amazing romantic getaway at Cabo. It sounds like you and your husband/ wife had a wonderful anniversary visit from check in to check out and enjoyed impeccable service throughout your stay.
We are glad that your experience with us was pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

We had a beautiful ocean view in building C. We highly recommend the Mexican Fiesta and Beach Party events. The entertainment staff led by Roberto are HILARIOUS! They make the shows an event you won't want to miss. We traveled with children and the resort staff were accommodating and willing to go the extra mile. We utilized their on-site babysitting services (Lupita), very dependable, respectful and trust worthy and is bi-lingual. Concierge (Aldo and Angel) met all our needs with a smile and no hesitation. The pool staff work their butts off and still have the energy to work at the evening events and treat everyone like a VIP guest. The only downside was the pool temperature needed to be cooler. In all a great vacation and resort.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Playagrandeguest,
Thank you for taking your time sharing your comments with us!

Reviewed August 9, 2014

My husband I stayed here for a week in April 2014.

Despite being seasoned travellers and reading all of the warnings, my husband was conned in by the timeshare people at the airport - the same thing happened to me last year. They are just so good! They make you think that they are there to tranport you to your resort or part of tourism Cabo. If this happens to you, just walk away as we have found them to always be respectful and polite.

This was our 3rd trip to Cabo in 2 years. What we love is that the resorts and area are very upscale, and that you feel safe on the resorts and when you are out and about - and we venture out a lot to restaurants, for shopping, etc. Also, the scenery in Cabo is breathtaking.

The weather in April was beautiful - very warm and sunny every day of our stay.

Positives about Playa Grande:
- Location, location ... it is within walking distance to the marina where there are loads and loads of restaurants, nightlife and shopping (Luxury Avenue mall).
- Check-in and check-out was easy (we were not offered any upgrades).
- Staff are well-trained, friendly and helpful.
- Units are large and spotless, although furnishings were nothing over the top. We had a studio unit overlooking the pool area/ocean.
- Grounds are beautiful and well maintained.
- There are multiple pools, including an adults only pool. Although the adult pool is close to the activity pool, you cannot hear the noise when sitting around the adult pool (I found it very zen!). We were lucky to get a pass to the ridge pool which is stunning. However, after the first day we gave up on this pool as the residents have first dibs on the chairs and we could never find seating - although later in the day there were some chairs available.
- There is a lovely, full-service spa on-site and worth a visit.
- There are multiple restaurants on-site and our favourite was Brigantine - what a view of the ocean sitting here for breakfast, lunch or dinner and the food, service and price was great.
- Although we didn't attend, we did see lots of people enjoying themselves at the outdoor themed events that were offered nightly. I think it was $40 US per person for all you could eat/drink if you did not have the all-inclusive package. I saw the staff working all day in the heat to set up these events and the decorations were elaborate and beautiful.
- The beach is magnificent! I go to Cabo to watch the waves crashing and this time around we got to see some whales - what a treat that was.

Now, some not so good things:

- Internet is the WORST!!! The management really needs to sort this out!!! I don't go on vacation to surf the net, but I do need to stay connected because of elderly parents back home. We even consulted staff in the Internet cafe who gave us a "secret code" to improve the connection - but it didn't.
- The lobby is dedicated to the timeshare people, so seating is very limited. All of the other timeshares I have stayed at have a separate area for them, away from the main lobby.

Overall, we would definitely consider a return visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear ElaineO556,
Thank you very much for this detailed and wonderful review, which help all the community to make the right decision when it comes to choosing the ideal resort for your vacation. It’s a pleasure to know that this experience was a very positive one, highlighted by our great service. I am sure that your feedback will serve as an encouragement to our team, as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
Thank you again for all your kind comments, we are looking forward to your next visit, do not hesitate to contact us.
Cordially,