“Good, not Great”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #17 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We've stayed here 2 times with friends and it is a really nice resort. Somewhat dated, but always clean and well attended by the staff. Best thing is the "very private" beach and there are NO VENDORS !! Unfortunately, you cannot swim in this part of the Ocean, but the natural beauty is fabulous.........

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Leonard,
Thank you for your kind words. I agree that our property offers a fabulous natural beauty.
I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon.
Cordially

There are newer reviews for Playa Grande Resort

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Pros:
Heated pools: 3 huge pools and 2 hot jacuzzis
Views are nice
Service is fabulous!
No time share ambush but that's probably because my husband is almost 34, too young for them :)
Very close to downtown and water activities
Great drinks (not watered down)

Cons
Front desk is a nightmare!! Took them 40 mins to check us in, and 30 mins to get an extra key.
Food is a 5-7. Chips and guacamole are super bland.
Bathrooms need upgrades
Rooms need upgrades, beds are comfortable though.
No activities for kids under 5 other than the pools.
The kids club is not where kids can hang out, it just has a schedule of activities everyday.
Towel check in and out is such a pain, one per person, no extras!!

We're a younger couple from the Silicon Valley. We travel a lot so were definitely disappointed. I suppose we were expecting something equivalent to Fiesta Americana but no competition there. The pools at Playa Grande are fabulous. No slides, just nicely warmed pools. If Fiesta Americana is an 8, this is a 7 with the Riu being a 5 or 6. Granted we didn't do the all inclusive option at Playa Grande, so glad we didn't!

Restaurants to visit:
Mi Casa, family restaurant, excellent food!
Edith's, very romantic with great food!

Activities:
Sun rider: 10 min walking, we did whale watching, great people, nice boat with clean bathrooms!
Dolphin Encounter: 10 min walking, my 3 yr old loved it!!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Reemmama
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Reemmama,
Thank so much for posting a review, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.
I will make sure that your feedback is shared with the rest of the team to ensure we handle things differently in the future. Our team here is constantly tweaking our service to in order to improve.
We appreciate you taking the time to write to us with your comments as this helps us to constantly strive for excellence.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

thank You Fernando for making our vacation excellent. We have been to playa grande many times and in July of 2013 we had the pleasure of meeting Fernando who works as a server at the ridge pool and restaurant, we were so impressed by his service, professionalism and his love of his Job that we immediately asked after him when returning in December. well come to find out we were not the only ones seeking out Fernando, guests would wait to be in his section, everyone we encountered had nothing but great things to say about Fernando, Playa Grande is lucky to have him. For anyone going to Cabo, I highly recommend Playa Grande Resort, especially the reef, food is fresh and very well prepared, rooms are excellently maintained, the spa is fantastic. Staff you should seek out for excellent personal service is Fernando at the reef pool, Alahandro at the front drive, Leonando manager of the lobby bar/restaurant and Deniss at the spa.

Room Tip: If you are a couple or with grown children ask for the reef rooms, pool facing rooms are less noisy...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Dear Denise D,
Thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with the people you mentioned on your review.
We are glad that your experience with us was pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We had a studio suite for 4 of us with an "ocean view". The hotel sits pretty far back from the beach so our "ocean view" was not that great. The pools, however, are great. I've never seen one hotel with so many different pool areas. I would recommend you seek out the hidden pools located on the 3rd floor. Great views of the marina and the Pacific Ocean from there. As is typical in Cabo, they really push the time shares. The Playa Grande staff was worse than others on time shares. We truly had no interest in purchasing a time share. But it seemed like the only way to get transportation from the airport. They offered us all kinds of incentives (free ride, breakfast, $150 f&b credit at resort, free whale watching) and said "just take this deal and you won't have to sit through the whole thing, just tell the sales guy you're not interested". So we reluctantly agreed... Big mistake. The sales guy was really upset, completely unprofessional and basically held us captive for 90 minutes while he went through his pitch. But it was otherwise a pleasant stay. They could earn some more profits by opening a second coffee stand or quick breakfast option.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Dan,
I hope to have the opportunity to host you again in a near future.
Cordially

Reviewed January 4, 2014

Great location, right on the beach. We saw the whales every morning. The rooms and the facilities are clean and well manicured daily. Many activities in which to participate, Pee Wee Golf, Pool Activities, like water aerobics and tequila volleyball. The pool staff was enthusiastic, friendly and very helpful. A special shout out for Cristina and waster aerobics. She was super! There was a small store and coffee bar. There were special dinners, i.e. Asian Night, Venetian Night, Fiesta Night and even if you didn't indulge, the event was over by 9:00 PM, so as not to disturb the guests. The resort is very close to downtown and we walked to the marina(10-15 minutes). All the staff we dealt with were courteous, responsive and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Suzanne,
What a delightful review to read. Thank you so much for sharing such lovely comments. Our staff do indeed love what they do and this in turn allows us to provide a friendly, professional service at all times. It sounds like you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

What went well:
1. The cleaning and maintenance staff were top notch. They were thorough, very friendly, and responsive.
2. The concierge staff was responsive as well and would help us through our needs from A-Z. For example, I would call for a reservation and they would call me back within 5 minutes with the confirmation. Everytime! Lastly, the property is beautiful and well maintained.

What didn't go so well:
1. They will try and NICKEL and DIME you at every turn. Surprise, surprise I know. For a resort that cost on average $250/night to stay at I expected a bit more for my $. For example, Wifi is $12/day. I had spotty coverage and spent more time trying to get online to communicate with my family around Christmas. To use the "business center" it's a fee. To go play put-put it's a fee. REALLY??? it's put-put. I saw a total of 2 people playing the 10 days I was there. I inquired how much it was, and it all made sense.

2. There are no cabanas on the beach!!!! 4 star resort and no cabanas??? The neighboring 3 star resort has tons of them. Maybe you guys should hire them to build them for you. Granted you are not supposed to swim on the beach, but does that mean I can't lay on the beach with some comfort? Additionally, if you want a lawn chair for the beach you have to drag out to the beach yourself. I've been to 5 other resorts in MX and they ALL would set up the beach furniture for their guests every morning. There are no massages on the beach either. Again, I’ve never seen this either. I’ve been to a 3 star resort and they had a great massages on the beach.

3. FOOD/DRINK – the prices are outrageous for the quality and quantity. The margaritas are watered down and taste like pineapple juice. The fish tacos were bland and merely an appetizer on the entre menu. If I didn’t buy the drinks on happy hour I would feel ripped off(2 for 1). They gave me a free drink coupon when I first arrived for my wife and I. I didn’t use it. Not that I didn’t have the opportunity to.

We consider all inclusive before arriving but saw that prices had increased on site from $82/day advertised on their website to $91/day/person. I’m glad we ate at Colima and Brigantine prior to considering the purchase of the all-inclusive meal plan. We saved ourselves $1,274 for 7 days. We ended up eating at the marina and around town and spent half that amount and had some great meals. (I recommend Solomon’s Landing)

4. When we first arrived they had us staying at the Ridge. The rooms are a little newer with bigger bathrooms, but we were facing the Marina and could hear all the traffic and music all night. In the early morning (530a) we kept hearing the golf cart go up and down the access road. Also, the exhaust fumes came right into our room. There are exclusive pools to the ridge, but the ambiance is sleepy and boring. Geriatrics party up there. Funny thing is that I did NOT book my stay at the Ridge. I requested my room be changed to the main part of the hotel, but had to wait another night. When they let us move they acted as if they were doing us a favor.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Ridge.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank jagstang94

Dear Jagstang94
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others guests. Your thoughtful remarks are very helpful in allowing us to continue to deliver the most excellent experience.
I hope to have the opportunity to host you again in a near future to provide you with the excellent experience and service that you deserve.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Right up to the Pacifac ocean where the sand is so clean and welcoming. We really enjoyed our stay here and will be back. The staff right from the bell boys to the restaurant staff, were very friendjly and oh so polite! The hotel checin was a vreeze and very professional.

Room Tip: The rooms are a bit dated..very clean and we had a suite. The house keep servicea were excellent.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank JennyR538
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear JennyR538
Thank you so much for sharing such great things about your experience. Our goal is to provide every guest a beautiful and memorable vacation throughout great service and devotion towards our guests.
I´m glad you enjoyed your time with us, and are planning to come back soon.
Warm Regards.