“Great Place on the Beach”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
MN
“Great Place on the Beach”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

The resort was very nice and was as expected. It seems hard to find many pictures on the internet. The rooms were spacious but I read in other reviews to ask for an upgrade, we were RCI members but they refused to upgrade us. They denied us without even looking to see if the resort had any rooms available. The place was not busy as we were there the week before Christmas 2013. The food was good as we participated in the all inclusive for 3 of the 7 days. I would suggest not doing all inclusive for your entire trip as the restaurants in town were excellent as well. Visited La Casa Mexican restaurant in Cabo and the food was the best I have ever had considering my many visits to different parts of Mexico. Also ate at the Maro's Shrimp House, I cannot say enough about this place and the atmopshere. The food tasted so fresh, I had a kilo of grilled shrimp and two of us could not eat it all. The place get's busy so get there early. The last place we dined was Mona Lisa's which is know for it's sunset view. The food was also very good but had small portion's so a great place for a light meal. Very romantic and upscale atmosphere. The only downfall of the trip was all the timeshare people who harass you starting at the airport and continuing when you come in and out of the resort. The resort did not allow them to come on grounds but even the resort tried to sell you a timeshare. Another downfall was the rental car con, I rented a car through priceline for about 75.00 a week but when you get to the airport they tack on a bunch of fees and mandated insurance and by the time they were done it was $640 for the week. I would suggest not getting a rental and try to arrange a shuttle thru your resort. All in all I liked Cabo and would return there but be ready to say "No" to all the salespeople. Walk right by them and get out of the airport as fast as you can, they will lie and tell you that you are going the wrong way and all sorts of tricks, ignor them and keep moving forward.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear ChrisbMn,
Thank you for your lovely review. It sounds like you had a wonderful time, I am glad you enjoyed the all inclusive option.
I want to apologies for any inconvenience you have during your stay with us regarding the room assigned. We will be working on those details with our staff to at least give our guest options to assist them.
I hope to have the opportunity to host you again in a near future to provide you with the excellent experience and service that you deserve.
Sincerely

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,153)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We were there for 4 days the weekend before 4th of July, 2013. I have written this review twice before, and for some reason it gets taken down. I haven't written since due to this. But here is goes, AGAIN:

My comments are: we were in a two bedroom apartment on the second floor overlooking the ridge pool area. The property is beautiful and very well kept. I was seriously looking forward to some r&r, book in one hand and a tall drink on the other one. Did I get that? Not really. The place was extremely loud, noisy, and crowded. Full of loud americans drinking all day, if you know what I mean. You couldn't sleep well because of this, although there was nothing wrong with the beds themselves. Food was below expectations for a 4-star property (buffet-style nearly everything because they sell their all inclusive package to 99% of their guests), but their service was great, with staff that went out of their way to help. E.g. my daughter became very sun-burned from a fishing trip w/my husband and they gave us per our request sliced cucumbers to put on her face free of charge! Really lovely people!

Will we return? Very unlikely. Not our kind of crowd, or environment.

Room Tip: As far away from pool areas as you can, if you want to sleep! For very good food, we went into town...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Carina M
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Carina M
On behalf of the resort, please accept my apology for your unpleasant stay at the resort on.We strive to ensure our patrons experience the best visits possible during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. We apologize for the noisy inconvenience you experienced at our resort that is definitely out of our hands to control the noise and crowds we were on a busy summer season.Also I would like to take the time to apologize for not reaching your expectations on our food service.
At our Resort we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your—or our own—expectations. Upon thorough review of the situation, we narrowed the cause to our busy summer season and we appreciate your opinion we will work on improving the events to maintain the noise down and to excel our customer needs and making sure that our customer leave satisfied.
We deeply value your relationship with our Resort and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best. If you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to contact us.
Yours in service,
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed December 25, 2013

After passing through the 35 or more timeshare reps, all telling me I was going the wrong way and that I needed to give them information on my shuttle company, I made it to Impala transportation (on time both ways BTW...recommend!) for the drive to PG.

As I passed all the beautiful resorts that I previously researched here but passed on, I wondered if I had made the right choice. One step in the lobby and I knew we had. Right off the bat, you are met and welcomed like family. We speak a fair amount of Spanish, but even if you don't, everyone, and I mean everyone in Cabo seemingly speaks English, especially at the resort.

After a smooth and easy check in, and brief stop for towel cards and a no-pressure offer to attend breakfast and a timeshare presentation, we headed to the room. Front desk found a matching room that was ready, since our original one was not. Room was spacious and clean, and well done. We didn't have plans to use the kitchen, but the refrigerator came in handy.

After unloading, we went down to the pool, which became our second home for our stay. The main pool area is awesome...amazing satillo tile pools, large pools (heated), and nice music (not too loud) which ranged from 80s-Christmas music. Since you can't swim in the ocean from the hotel, why not make sure the pool is awesome? This place has several. The other great part of the main pool is the staff; Roberto, Humberto, Louis, Miriam and Christina...the entertainment staff who kept us so entertained throughout the day. So much fun...we loved all the varied activities that kept all the kids and adults occupied and in the party spirit. The wait staff at the pool was also superb...they worked hard and took care of everyone, despite some very busy days. Large hot tubs...clean and hot. Beach is beautiful, so it's a shame the tides won't allow swimming.

Food was very good throughout. Would highly recommend the morning buffet at Brigantine...sitting outside...so much quieter than any seaside resort we have been to. It was incredibly relaxing to enjoy the amazing food and not hear anything but some other people talking. Great staff again made the breakfast even better.

Fitness center was excellent,but crowded. Did not have any treadmills with TVs, and the ones on the wall showed soccer (ugh-no offense to my hosts), so bring your own tunes.

Must mention the Monday night Mexican fiesta. If you are there for Monday night, you must go. You can win a free adult ticket throughout the weekend at the pool, but even if you don't, it is worth the price for three hours of food, drinks, music, dancing, and games. It is the equivalent of the Hawaiian luau; not to be missed! Roberto does a great job making us laugh and appreciate the culture of Mexico.

Loved that we could walk five minutes to the marina for shopping and restaurant choices, and for access to water taxis to various beaches. Everyone on our walk was friendly; never felt any kind of danger, even at night and on the side streets of the city around the marina.

Spa, as reported by my wife, was amazing! She was so impressed by the facility and ranked it among her top 3. Services were very reasonable and again, the staff was awesome.

Let me find some negatives: (1) wi-fi not great as noted by others (2) main bathroom has shower in the bath, and it is elevated to get in, with tile...a slippery and potentially dangerous issue for older people (3) asked about kid's pool with slide (on top of the hill) and front desk told me it was private...bellman told me on way out I should have been offered a one-day pass. That was disappointing.

That's about it for the negatives. I thought that we got a lot of value for our money here, and the staff customer service ranked top 3 in my travels. We don't repeat places as a rule, but the family is already asking to go back next year! I will probably break my own rule for PG. Gracias por un gran tiempo!

Room Tip: ocean view of course!!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AZ-Traveler85253
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Traveler,
What a delightful review to read. Thank you so much for sharing such lovely comments. Our staff do indeed love what they do and this in turn allows us to provide a friendly, professional service at all times. It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time from check in to check out.
I am glad you are probably going to break your rule and are planning to come back soon.
Warm Regards
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed December 25, 2013

This was our first visit to Cabo and we enjoyed ourselves. The resort and the city were clean and we always felt safe. This resort has optional all-inclusive (min. 3days). We chose this option but would not necessarily recommend it. It wasn’t bad, it just wasn’t all that great. Plus there are so many other restaurants in the area (really good food and a lot cheaper). The resort had a lot of different activities and a lot of different dinner themes which were included in the all-inclusive price. The beach party and the Mexican fiesta were both a lot of fun. The one true negative is that there were a lot of extras. During the seafood night, lobster was extra. Wi-Fi was pretty expensive if you didn’t have the AI. As it was the Wi-Fi barely worked. The other negative was the pretty BIG bugs.

Even though I’ve listed some negatives, our experience was really good. Puerto San Lucas restaurant was excellent. Very romantic, with really good food. This restaurant was included with the AI. Again, we had lobster and had to pay extra. Since the food was so good, we really didn’t mind the extra cost. Another really good restaurant was Solomon’s Landing, located in the marina. The food was excellent and the wait staff was great. (Obviously this was not part of the AI package.) Of course we went to Cabo Wabo around noon for the happy hour (happy hour was from 9am-4pm) and enjoyed ourselves.

I was very happy that we were not pressured to attend the timeshare presentation. They asked us once, we said no and that was the end of that. We really did enjoy our stay and would return to Playa Grande.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachi07
Dear Rachi,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others guests. You thoughtful remarks are very helpful in allowing us to continue to deliver the most excellent experience.
I hope to have the opportunity to host you again in a near future.
Cordially
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We have stayed here at PG twice now and both times was a great experience. I like the proximity to the marina and the oceanside ,as well. One thing they could ease up on though are the timeshare sales push. Would stay here again without hesitation!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Bob
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I agree that our property offers a Great location and our staff does the best to provide a friendly and professional service all the time
We are glad that your experience with us was a pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.
Paradise Valley, Arizona, United States
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Nothing bad to say about this place. Entertainment group was wonderful. Roberto and his team make sitting out by the pool warm, wonderful and fun. The food is great here and the staff outstanding. Cabo San Lucas has amazing views, restaurants and fun. This resort just enhanced this great city. Our kids up had a blast. We don't usually do the parties and all you can eat at places. We are not big drinkers so it's often not worth it. However, the Mexican fiesta was outstanding. The food was great and the authentic Mexican dancing and music was really a highlight.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ronee,
Thank you for your kind words, I agree that our entertainment staff is amazing they indeed love what they do and this in turn allows us to provide a friendly, professional service at all times.
I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. Have a wonderful day!
San Francisco
Reviewed December 24, 2013

My husband and I just got back from a wonderful relaxing week at this resort. We used RCI to book a studio but were upgraded to a one bedroom 2 bath at the ridge location upon check in. This is by far our favorite resort in Cabo; it is beautiful with great pools and restaurants and the location cannot be beat. We walked everywhere! The staff are all very friendly and accommodating. Our room was cleaned very well daily. We did not take advantage of the AI option, but did eat quite a few meals at the resort and were pleasantly surprised at how great the food was there. One of our favorite meals on our entire trip was the seafood night...what a bargain and it was delicious!!! We also enjoyed the Mexican Fiesta night. We played mini golf, and took advantage of the spa a couple of times, too. My husband bought me a beautiful diamond necklace at the jewelry shop at what we felt was a really good price...ask for Geronimo if you go. All in all, we LOVED it and can't wait to return.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Newsak
Thank you for your lovely review. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I´m glad you enjoyed your complementary upgrade as well our relaxing Spa experience.
We are glad that your experience with us was pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.