“THE BEST RESORT IN CABO”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #15 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Sunnyvale, California
“THE BEST RESORT IN CABO”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

No need to go anywhere else in Cabo. Playa Grande is spotlessly clean, has great food and drinks, a wonderful/friendly staff, and is in a beautiful location within walking distance to downtown. I recommend the all-inclusive package which is absolutely worth every penny. I have been coming to the resort for years and it just keeps getting better. We brought two other families who were equally impressed. Honestly I would not consider staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: For families, consider upgrading to a one bedroom suite versus the Jr. suite to ensure a little adul...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Jeffrey P
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Jeffrey;

Thank you for this amazing comment: "No need to go anywhere else in Cabo". We are very satisfied that you find our hotel spotlessly clean, with great food and a friendly staff. I am glad that you recommend the all inclusive package, a lot of people find it to be very worthy.

We love to welcome back people that in the past have had wpnderful experiences, and that can see that with every year, things are getting better.

Thank you again, and see you next year with all your family.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,187)
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Love Playa Grande for its comfortable rooms, great service and location. It is fronted by a wonderful senic beach with no roaming vendors. It is also easy walking distance to the marina and downtown so you do not need a rental car or taxi. Very safe and comfortable. Only drawback is having a marina view room in The Ridge portion of Playa Grande. The epicenter of booming bars (Mandala, Squid Roe, Pink Kitty) is directly across the marina. The epicenter is over a half mile away, but there is a gap in marina buildlings and the sound travels right across the marina. The booming could be heard at all hours of the night even with the windows closed. I highly recommend Playa Grande finance a sound wall to fill in the gap. If you stay there, you will find out what I mean.

Room Tip: Hope you do not get a room that faces the marina.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank steve p
Dear Steve

I want to thank you for your nice and beautiful comments reagarding our hotel rooms, our location, and everything about our service and destination.
Cabo San Lucas is consider now the place to be in Mexico, and i am glad you enjoy it. We will share your comments with our staff, and i will be delighted to welcome you back any time soon.

Beaverton, Oregon
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We originally booked a week at the Solmar, with our Living Social deal All Inclusive. When we arrived, we were told that it was our lucky day, they had good news for us! (I thought, great a time share pitch for sure, already!) They were moving us and another couple from the shuttle to the Playa Grande due to the construction. We said, ok. After we got this news, they tried to send us over to the girl for a time share booking, but we said, we just want to check into our room, we were tired. They never tried to sell us again (thank goodness!) When we arrived at the Playa Grande, we were blown away. Was this a mistake? Were they going to take it away from us? It was like a dream. For days, I felt this way. Very grateful. The lobby was huge and amazingly beautiful. They booked us into a room that overlooked the koi fish river and Calima restaurant, a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen (which we never used, nor did we use the living room -- too busy being pampered by waiters), with two full bathrooms. The master bath had a giant soaker tub, which I used that night! We had two balconies as well. We enjoyed going down to to breakfast every morning, being greeted by Armando, Jaime, and Ramon and Mimosas to begin. After I realized that I could also order off the menu as well as the bountiful buffet, I had Eggs Benedictine almost every day! They are not chintzy with the sauce. I enjoyed the fresh fruit, especially watermelon. When we asked for pineapple and banana it was brought to us. We so enjoyed talking to and getting to know these waiters, especially Armando and Jaime. It was nice eating outside in front of the crashing waves of the Pacific every day, and the last few days it was too windy, so we sat inside behind the glass partition.

After breakfast, we would go to the pool to read and visit with the other guests. Almost everyone was so friendly and so grateful as well to be staying at this resort. We would also go to the marina or take a boat ride to see the Arch, Lover's Beach, and the sea lions. The water taxi rides to Medano Beach and Mango Deck were even fun.

When poolside service began around 11am, we would order guacamole and ceviche, my husband would mix them together every day. We also ordered other foods, which were good, too. The drinks were good, my husband mostly got beer. The best poolside waiter was Gustavo. Some of the other ones were slower or not as friendly.

I participated in the aqua aerobics a few times, since I was eating so much and not moving around. It was fun, the entertainment staff is so friendly, I remember talking to Cristina from the Canary Islands a lot, she got me to come to the aqua aerobics class. Roberto is funny and energetic, and also at the evening events.

My favorite event was the Mexican Fiesta, you really know how to do that one right. Monica Rojas was an amazing singer, and very friendly. We enjoyed the variety of dancers from all the states in Mexico. The food was good, too, and the tequila was flowing.........

The Beach party was fun, too, but we were tired from traveling all day, having only gotten 3 hours of sleep, been up since 3am. We missed the first part of it, we had eaten at the Calima right away when we arrived. I wish we could have stayed one more night to participate fully in it the next week. We enjoyed the live music immensely.

My husband and a friend enjoyed the mini gold course, my friend and I just relaxed by the pool. We had such a good time meeting these new friends.

Also, at night, when my husband was waiting for me to get ready for dinner, and sometimes after dinner, he would go to the Lobby Bar. Gorge was so kind and friendly. He was the highlight of our late nights. On the last night there, we brought our friends in there with us, and tried the chocolate martinis and the sun beach drink. Excellent! Beautiful atmosphere.

(I also recommend that when you fly in to SJD, you go directly outside, do NOT talk to the guy who says he will help you find your shuttle. Your shuttle people are Outside waiting for you, signs and with a clipboard. Also, no need to change your $US to Pesos, the airport is more expensive than the banks in town, and everyone takes $US anyway.)

Dear Cheryl;

I want to thank you for your beautiful comments about your most recent stay. I always feel proud when someone made a complete description of their vacation. I am very grateful when you say that you feel you were dreaming when you arrive to the lobby. That you enjoy our room, the food (guacamole, ceviche), and the service Armando, Jaime, Ramon at the breakfast, Gustavo at the pool, Roberto and Cristina from the entertainment area, Jorge from the Lobby bar, is priceless to me. I am satisfied you also enjoy our mexican fiesta and beach party, along with our mini golf course.

We will love to welcome you back to our resort on your next holiday.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I recently stayed at this property for a whole week, June 10-16-2013. Lobby was beautiful, grounds are impeccable. The staff is warm and friendly and very accommodating!! What ever was needed was handled accordingly and quickly. English was spoken throughout the hotel, sometimes better than most! The food was the best, no complaints, from the top restaurants, to pool side dining. I did not have one bad meal the whole week. Entertainment was so much fun, very interactive with the audience, Roberto the MC for all entertainment, was the best part. He should have his own comedy show!

Now to the not so good side.......

The hotel needs soft good updates to the hotel rooms, which mean.....
Black out window liners have holes in them, you can see fragments of light through the holes. Pool towels and guest room towels are shredded and are warn so thin, that they are falling apart. Furniture is scratched, and gouged and sofa is stained. Linen seems to be the only soft good Item that seems to be holding up, FOR NOW!
Hopefully by the time come back next year, I hope to see some of these issues resolved. Apart from that my stay was enjoyable, it was the staff that made it enjoyable.

Dear qohm1

We want to thank you for the beautiful comments about or staff being warm, friendly and very accommodating and also for your comments about our grounds and food. I will share this with our Chefs they will be delighted, and also with Roberto our MC, who provides excellent entertainment.

I have really good news for you: We just receive this week new towels in general, pool and rooms, we are really happy about this. We have our program during august and september this year were we will enter each room to work on them in general. I can tell you that we are prepare for this and we will be updating some things. Also new lounge chairs are arriving and some surprises we have for you.

As every year, it will be an honor to welcome you back to our resort.

Fyrmedic510
Reviewed June 24, 2013

My wife and I just got back from a stay here at Playa Grande.

Upon walking in, it is a very beautiful place. Our room location was not the best, but we still had a view of the ocean from our little patio. The room was very nice. Very large room with everything you would ever need. A small kitchenette and micro and coffee maker. The bathroom was beautiful with a large shower.

The staff was great, and we didnt really receive any pressure for a time-share presentation or anything. They mentioned it when we first checked in but that was the last we heard of it. The grounds are immaculate and everything seemed very well kept.

The pools were great, and we were able to lay by them and relax. Pretty much all we wanted to do on our trip. They have an area for pretty much whatever you want. Want to party and drink? One pool is good for that. Others you can relax and just hang out. Pool food was average, but we didnt expect much. 2 for 1 drinks in the afternoon was a great touch. The only issue here was that you needed to be to the pool early to get a lounge chair. If not, it seemed like they never came available. Get there by 10-11AM or you wont get one.

Location of the resort was very nice. It was a very cheap and short cab ride to pretty much any place you would need to go. My wife and I walked to dinner each night, and some places were rather far. Its a great location for walking downtown, and makes the whole are very accessible. Or just grab a cheap and short taxi ride to wherever you want.

Cons: Only thing that I would change for this trip was the lack of WiFi. It was available in the room, but you had to pay either hourly or for the day or week. It was not cheap either. I understand it costs them a bit to have it, but with what we had already paid, it was not worth the extra. Also, they seem to really push this "all-inclusive" package, for about $80 per person per day, for a minimum of 3 days. For us, it was WAY overpriced. We would not have even come close to getting that value for the 4 days we were there. We also wanted to leave open our dinners so we could enjoy downtown.

Overall, we were very happy with the trip and I would probably stay here again, due to the great location and friendly staff.

Dear Fyrmedic

On behalf of all the staff we want to thank you for your nice comments and description about your experience at our resort. We can not be more satisfied while reading your post. From enjoying the room, the pools (as you mention one to party, one to relax), the grounds, and the staff, we are delighted to read that you enjoyed all. We are working in a new way to inforce a rule that you can not reserve a lounge chair from more than an hour. This as a request from our guest. Many people find very convenient the all inclusive package we have, but i completely understand that it can be different in each person.

I feel deeply satisfied when you mention that overall, you were very happy with the trip and that you can would probably stay here again, due to the great location and staff.

That means a lot to me.

Sincerely, .
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Playa Grande is in a great location! In walking distance to town and the marina, there are lots of places nearby to frequent at night. The hotel is huge, but there are several pools and bars close to the faraway rooms. The Ridges area has a great pool with a restaurant and pool bar. The service was great there and we went there daily for breakfast and drinks at the pool. The rooms were comfortable with soft, comfy beds.

Dear Karen

I want to thank you for your nice comments about your general experience at our resort. I am deeply satisfied that you get to enjoy our pools, the room, bars and location. I will share with our Captain Violeta, Chef Jesus and all their staff, that you enjoyed your breakfast by the pool.

The beds, brand new, i am glad you notice they really are soft and comfy.

It willl be an honor to welcome you back to our resort in the next future.

Kittrell, NC
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My cousin and I were there the whole week of Memorial Day and found the resort to be beautiful (a little city within it's self)! It's very convenient to mostly everything. Marina and shopping are within walking distance! I have to say that if you are cold natured, like I am, that Cabo was too chilly for me at sunrise and sunset! The breeze coming off the Pacific is just too cool for me! The Beach Party that the resort put on was great, but since it was in the evening it got very chilly and pretty much everyone (that I saw) put in a sweater, jacket, or tried to cover themselves with the chair covers. I found out there in Cabo that I need our NC humidity to keep warm, Cabo is very low humidity! Most people would love that, but I need humidity because I can't stand to be cold/chilly. The Pacific waves crashing like thunder on the shore sounded wonderful to me, but too loud at night for my room mate. My glass door stayed open all night I never turned on heat/AC just covered up snugly. She kept her door closed with A/C on 72! Needless to say, we are total opposites!

Cabo was very safe! I never felt worried or threatened like people said I might because I was in Mexico. Cabo is a different Mexico, a different world! Even at the Marina where people drop off the catch of the day to have them cleaned. The locals hang out there, but they were all nice and respectful. The Pelicans on the other hand were anxious for the leftovers, lol! Everyone that we encountered no matter where we were in Cabo were all very nice, the taxi drivers flirted a little asking did we want a Mexican boyfriend, lol. I'm pretty sure they were just kidding around.

Cabo is a very Timeshare area so people were constantly asking if we wanted to do a timeshare thing. It got to be a pain, but if not for Timeshares we wouldn't have been in Cabo! If you are married just tell them your spouse isn't with you on this trip and they will leave you alone, or ask do you want a Mexican boyfriend, lol. Timeshare people will try to catch you as you come into the Los Cabos airport, after you get your luggage and start looking for our transportation. They are very persistent and will offer you all kinds of excursions to get you to agree. We did it and they came through with everything promised. watch out for the nice looking, young, Mexican guys, lol. Smooth talkers in the timeshare business. If you can say No and mean it, good for you, lol.

The theme nights at the Resort were nice, a lot of preparation goes into them. Good entertainment, Roberto the MC is fantastic! I can honestly say that we ate the majority of our meals at the resort, but I never got any really good tasting food. Maybe it was me, but even the cheesecake wasn't "delicious". Best thing I had was my morning omelettes on the beach!

This was my first trip to Cabo so I didn't really know what to expect. I knew the resort told that the beach was a non-swimming beach. That was fine with me because I don't swim or play in the ocean, but had I known that the Gulf "Sea of Cortez" was just a hop-skip-jump around the corner (where the action is), you can do everything there, I would have tried to stay over there and the water is so much more beautiful in the Gulf.

Because of the low humidity I got Laryngitis within 2 days being there. By the time my week was over it had gone into Sinusitis that I had to go to doctor for when I got home and was prescribed antibiotics. My cousin started having stomach problems on th 4th day, but not what your thinking. Her problems were nausea, throwing up, and not being able to "go", also some discomfort in her upper intestines. She had the resort doctor come to the room and was prescribed antibiotics for gastritis. Her doctor at home called it Traveler's Gastritis. Have no idea what caused it, but that was almost 4 weeks ago and she's still not back to 100%.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Rosemarie

On behalf of all the staff we want to thank you for your nice comments about your Memorial Day week stay at our resort, i am very impressed by the very accurate descriptions about your experience at Cabo. The weather is a little bit better now, it really works if someone wants to stay all day at the pool.

I am glad you enjoyed our beach party (always bring a sweater at night), the theme nights in general and the attention of our MC Roberto. I will share your comments regarding our food to our Chefs and i am delighted you get to experience the omelettes they prepare.

I really hope all your family and friends are feeling much better, and hope to see you back anytime soon to our resort.