“Very nice hotel, Great Location”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Toronto, Canada
“Very nice hotel, Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

After initially booking two Condo’s which were subsequently double booked and cancelled on us (thanks for nothing Shannon and Ken), my wife and I emergency booked the Playa Grande in Land’s end Los Cabo’s. For those of you not familiar, Lands-end is a small beach (1-2 KM’s) just down from the famous El Arco. There are a handful of hotels/resorts (5) on this stretch. Of which the Playa Grande is probably in the middle in terms of quality level and cost.

We did not buy their all-inclusive meal plan, but I believe it would have been around $70-80 USD per day per person. We also did not eat at any of their restaurants, however, the menu looked good and some couples we talked to spoke positively of the food.

The Hotel is quite nice, nestled underneath the cliff face, and with a large sandy beach. The main building is moderately grand, with a large domed entrance. From the main entrance, there are bars, tuck shops, a small jewellry store, and access to the rooms which are on the beach, and those on the cliff itself. I am not sure if the cliff rooms are rented out, as I tried my card and could not gain access to that area (there was an intriguing infinity pool that I could see from the main entrance).

The Hotel is a series of around a dozen buildings surrounding the main pool and restaurant area. They are of varying heights, however the ones closer to the beach are a little lower, say 5 – 7 stories, and the two closest to the main building, were a little taller. All buildings are slightly angled so you can see the water, however note the beach might be 100 ft+ plus wide, meaning you are not overly close. We were in two rooms, the first was a second floor in the back corner of the complex (not very nice view), and then later in one of the tall buildings nearest the lobby (very nice view).

The rooms were quite nice. Large, good sized balcony, nice bathroom, and a small kitchenette. Not so nice that you could cook much (two burner stove), but enough that you could prepare a simple meal. The kitchen was well stocked (for 4 people), including wine glasses, pans, pots, etc. The beds were a tad on the soft side, but nice. Better than your typical hard resort bed. The room came with a small-ish LCD TV (37”?) and typical higher end resort furniture. Not a boutique hotel feel, but very nice.

And as usual, a note on the swim ability of the beach. As I’m sure you've read 100 other places, the beach is not swimmable. It is nice for walking. I saw a few brave kids with surfboards trying to surf the waves. As the ocean is quite deep, the waves rise up very quickly, and most roll in 6 – 12 feet high. When they break, you can often get 15 – 20 ft splashes. Lands end is cut off from the El Arco area by a large cliff face. To get to an area you can swim in and probably not die, you have a couple of options. The first is “over the hill” down from the harbour (near the navy base). That might be a 10 – 15 min walk. The other is Mendano beach which is across the harbour and where you would want to drive or take a taxi (water or road). There is no shortage of transport in this area. I think $5 will get you there by boat. BTW, Mendano beach is the party area, full of bars, water toy rentals, etc.

The hotel had 3 pools and a large hot tub. All were quite nice. It might have been random, but they all had different temperatures. There was a slight shortage of recliners, but that is usually the case in places like this.

The hotel is also a serious time share location. So expect guys at the main gate to flag you down to try and get you to talk timeshare.

One of the reasons we did not eat at the hotel was because there were so many great restaurants within a 15 – 20 minute walk. There is an older, what I will call, Mexican area with lots of moderately priced restaurant on the Lands end side of the town, there is the down town strip itself, and then the entire rim of the harbour itself. Please, do NOT eat at Senior Frogs (crap food, total rip off, etc. I was so put off by the place I may yelp them).

The location of this place is great, perhaps one of the best locations in the town if you are interested in seeing the town. Everything is within a short walk.

Overall, as a nice safe clean hotel to call home base, I would highly recommend it. A good rate for this place in April is around $200 all in (taxes and fees) (to give you an idea what this place costs).

1 Thank Larrabee
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear Larrabee;

You really do your reserach before visit Cabo. That is always helpful when you are visiting a place during your vacation. I am sad you did not have the opportunity to get our meal plan, or to enjoy any of our theme nights or restaurants. I am sure you will love it. The menu indeed is good, with good prices.We always hear our guest suggestions and comments. i am glad the ones you speak with, have the very same good feeling about our food.

The pool that you saw on the clift is part of our other resort, part of our property. The access is private just for the people staying there. Nevertheless if someone want to have access to enjoy breakfast or dinners (on season) we gave them the access.

I really love how you describe our resort in each detail, i really believe every single traveler will know exactly how our hotel looks. Many people not only love the location, so close of downtown and in front of the ocean, but also they love our lobby, the gardens, the trees, every single pad, the desing, our lakes, and of course our rooms, that as you said, they are large with kitchens well stocked where you could prepare meals, and soft beds.
Around our pools we always have our entertainment staff taking care of our guests, and also we have gardeners and pool staff working in details every day but you will not notice them. I will share with them your nice comments about our pools and jacuzzis.

Thank you for recommend us and also for your the time you invest in describing your most recent vacation. Some things came by accident, and i am glad that we have the opportunity to welcome you, and provide you with a great experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,139)
  • Turkish first
Astoria, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at Grand Solmar but did the all inclusive plan so we were able to use some of Playa's property and entertainment.
We went to one of their beach parties and were having a great time.... Only thing is it ends at 9:00PM which doesn't make sense.. Seems to me it should at least go to 10:30-11:00 and then after if people want to head into town it would be perfect.
All in all though it was a fun time and the entertainment crew was great!

Dear Dragonfly22ny

I thank you for your comments regarding your most recent experience at one of our theme nights. We are always innovating with new ideas, new meals, to provide our guest the best variety of shows in Cabo. We will continue working on this, and i invite you to visit our asian night, carnavale of venecia, mexican fiesta, to have your feedback and sugestions.
We are here for you and i will share your comments with my entertainment team and with our food and beverage management.

Best regards,
Santa Fe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

We just spent a week with friends at Playa Grande, we had two separate one bedroom suites. Our suite was in Building O and our friends was in Building L, both on the fourth floor. They had a superior view directly out to the ocean, but ours was closer to the pools and restaurant. We utilized most of the facilities and were not disappointed, but be aware that the tennis court surface is rather unusual, sort of a mat that I had never played on before. We especially enjoyed the Spa and the pools up at the Ridges (which is not accessible by all, you have to have permission or use the restaurant or have rooms up there) which were away from the afternnon games. All of the visitors to the resort were quite friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank muffinann
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Muffinann

I want to thank you on behalf of the staff of our resort. I am pleased when you mention that you and your friends have separate units and that both enjoyed them, one with a more directly view of the ocean, the other one being closer to the pools and restaurants.
As i always say, we have different options, and is a pleasure to assist our guest in all their needs.

I thank you for your suggestions and promise you that we will work on them as soon as possible.
I will share your comments with our Spa management and maintenance management for keeping the good work in their areas.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in the next future, sincerely,
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Been coming to Playa for 13 years and this year our second week was wonderful. We moved alot the first week but once settled we were very happy. The waiters, both food and beverage, were extremely helpful. (Julio Olmezdo and Lulie) were amazing. The entertainment staff were excellent, friendly, very upbeat and talented. The choice of things to due and festivities were great. Juan, Neto, and the rest of the staff are so pleasent and like family each time we return. I did miss the owners get together bringing everyone together, learning new things and given a chance to win prizes. Will be back next year.

Room Tip: Get advise on any construction happening and call before you go to confirm your location.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear fs43

Thank you on behalf of all our staff for your beautiful review about our resort, and for mention some of our crew, like Juan, Neto, Julio, Lulie, Roberto, Rodrigo, Miriam, Cristina, Hector, Mayrobi. They really are very talented and fun. I am happy that once your second week arrives, everything was perfect for your vacation, and i thank you in advance for understand for any room change that was neccesary during the first week.

Thank you also for your suggestions, and i will love to see you next year, having a blast for the two weeks with all your family.

Independence, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

The weather was really the only disappointment. We had expected temperatures to be about 10 degrees warmer. Winds were pretty strong the entire week too.

Didn't do everything we had planned, but there's something to be said for doing nothing and the resort allowed us to do just that.

We met several really nice couples and overall had a very enjoyable stay. All the resort staff were nice and we weren't pressured to do presentations other than the initial offer, and it wasn't pushed overly hard, so that's good in my opinion.

Room Tip: we would have liked a room with a better view, but ours looked out over the main pool area and it wa...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Shannon;

On behalf of all the resort staff, i want to thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay; saying you have a great time with us is priceless.

We are working in new ideas, intern programs, promotions and we will receive new lounge chairs and many other stuff in the next few weeks, always listening to our guest suggestions. The weather is much better at the moment, with less wind at night.

We will be delighted to welcome you back again to our resort.

ogden ut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

The hotel itself and its grounds are first rate. The loaction becing close to town is nice as well. The front line staff are nice and work hard.

However from the moment ypu walk in there is a sales pitch in every direction. They will not let you in the rooms prior to checkout ( just look at the lugage all storred outfront). After checkin the sales pitch starts.They invite you to a free breakfast if you agree to watch a 2 hour sales pitch for their new property. You are offered an all inclusive stay for $79 more per person which seems an ok deal if ypu plan to never leave the hotel during your stay. If you lose a room key there is a $16 fee. There is a $13 fee for internet that is spotty at best. The gym is another $10 a day. The list goes on and on and takes its toll on what a vacation is all about. Finaly the transport to the bus left 15 minutes early the day I left. I was lucky that I was there but I know that at least a few folks missed it.

So yes it is pretty, the pools are nice, but the consistent pitch for fees and selling you on about anything is annoying. Next time to Cabo I will be staying elsewhere.

4 Thank rileyinut
Dear Mr Riley;

I want to thank you for describing our hotel and grounds, along with our staff as first rate. I can tell you that we work really hard, every day, to make the experience for our guest the most amazing one. That you can really see this in our employees, really means a lot to me, and i will definetly share it with all of them.

I also want to apologies for the experience you have with our sales staff. I can assure you that when a guest decide not to do any presentation, they will not bother you for the rest of the stay. They complety respect that. It is very important for me also to tell all our guest, that we are working with our WIFI company to provide a much better service, at the moment is working really well, but we are constantly improving this service. A lot of people is loving the promotion of the all inclusive 79 dls, because it not only includes food and beverages,but also theme nights, and the gym along with many other stuff. For 3 days of your vacation you can relax at our resort and enjoy the benefits of this package. As with all the charges, our managers always listen to every client when they have a suggestion or a situation during their stay. We are here for you. And you can make shure that no transportation will leave before the schedule. We work with more than 1 shuttle to the airport if there is a lot of people leaving at certain time, if we complete a shuttle then it can leave, but there is another coming for the other guest that will leave also at that time. We always ask our guest gently to be there 15 minutes before to arrange this.

I thank you for your comments describing our hotel and pools as pretty, and nice, and it will be a privilege if you can give us the opportunity to choose us, so that we can provide you with an even better service the next time you decide to come to Cabo.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I do not write many reviews and only take the time when a place really earns it. I LOVE Playa Grande. Love. My friend owns a time share there and convinced me to try it out. She has been going there for 10yrs and has never had a bad experience so I figured ok let's try it. We have never taken the kids (6/9) to Mexico and my husband and I went to Dreams in the Riveria Maya and enjoyed ourselves but would not have brought the kids there. Playa is where you want to bring your family! It is fun and lively without being loud. Lots of stuff to do if you want to such as the pools, ping pong, volleyball and the fabulous pottery from the nice man above the pool, were just the perfect amount of something without being overwhelming.

First the basics:
The resort is beautiful, very well maintained, I wish I could have taken Zaira (our housekeeper for the week) home with me because she did such an amazing job every day and she was adorable and nice to talk to. I also had my 6yr old (now 7yr olds bday there and these two wonderful women came and decorated the room SO beautifully! I have waited to write this review because I had their names written down and just cannot find them anywhere but they were awesome and that surprise made Ashlee's birthday so special. The grounds, pools and beach were always clean and very comfortable.

As nice as the resort is, we will go back for the people. Ro was SO nice! He really went out if his way to make our visit fun and always would say hi our kids extra attention which was awesome. As I mentioned it was my daughters bday and he went out of his way to make sure she had a very special day and now she wants to go back to PG for her bday every year! Also we lost her sandals at the beach party and checked everywhere including the front desk and lost and found. I mentioned it to Ro and later that afternoon he was jogging up to our room with her beloved pink sandals and a big smile! So great! The entire entertainment staff was top notch. The guy (I'm sorry I didn't catch his name) that hosted the Mexican Fiesta and Beach Party was hilarious! I mean WAY funnier than any show I have been to. My kids wanted to go to all the evening shows even if they were not hungry just to watch him. Finally we ate at the lobby restaurant right when we got in and it was a great the first impression. The food was fabulous and our server, Vilma, was SO nice and sweet. She was welcoming and my daughter loved her and asked to see her again every time we went through the lobby!

Thank you PG and we will be back!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank marijkas
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Marijkas;

Thank you for having the time to share your comments regarding your recent experience with us.
We are a family resort, and we love to welcome everyone.

Our entertainment staff are committed to make everyone experience an amazing one. I will share your comments with our housekeeping staff. They are always creating unforgettable moments. That your daughter Ashlee liked the surprise they made, really make us smile. Our gardeners and maintenance staff work every single day to maintain our areas. I really thank you that you notice this also.

I will share your nice comments with Zaira, and of course with my namesake Rodrigo and all the entertainment staff. Small details like the ones you mention in this review, are what we want to be known for. Roberto is the MC of the mexican fiesta and i share what your kids said: He is Fun, and also very professional.

I also like that you have the opportunity to went to our lobby bar to have some meals, where you enjoy the food and service, where Vilma was top notch.

I really believe that comments like this one are the ones that make you feel stronger, positive, and with a feeling that you and your staff are doing things good.

We will love to have Ashlee celebrating another birthday with us, and welcome back all the family in the next future.

Best regards,