“Nice if you prefer resorts”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #15 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
New York
“Nice if you prefer resorts”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Playa Grande is a lovely resort within walking distance to downtown Cabo and the marina. This was our first stay in a resort and I don't think we'll return -- not because Playa Granda was poor, but because we prefer simpler accommodations. We had problems checking in (they gave us a dirty room), but this was resolved by evening. The concierge desk was quite helpful in booking fishing trips (excellent choice!), dinner reservations, and taxis. All the staff speaks English. The food onsite isn't terrific, but you can easily go elsewhere to eat. You're right on the beach, though it's the Pacific side, so no swimming's permitted.

Looks like it'd be great for families (lots of kids) and group travel.

Room Tip: We had asked for rooms near each other (two parties traveling together) and were not given them unti...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Emily B
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guests from Arlington, Virginia:

The comments you have made describing the experience you have encountered during your stay at Playa Grande Resort and Grand Spa, came to my attention. Please accept my apologies.

In order to maintain the high standards of service and excellence for which we strive, we need to know when problems occur so the appropriate action can be taken.

Concerning your comments with your check-in and the food quality I held a meeting with our front desk manager and chef involved in this situation and measures have been taken to avoid this situation happen again in the future.

We value your patronage and hope that you will give us the opportunity to demonstrate that your past experience with Playa Grande is not characteristic of our performance, but an unpleasant exception.

As an attempt to regain your trust, we would like to ask you to please visit us again in the near future and allow us the opportunity to pamper you as intended.

Sincerely yours,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,183)
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Vacation like a King, with prices for a servant. Beautiful beach out front. Top notch service, luxury accommodations. Whales breaching, stingrays jumping, and the sun is shinning. I left Denver yesterday, 1/12/13, and it was -5F. Today in Cabo, 75F feels like a mid summer day in Colorado.

Stayed January 2013
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Guests Denver, Colorado:

Thank you for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your recent stay.

We are glad that your experience with us was a pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.
It was truly our pleasure to serve you. In order to maintain the high standards of service excellence for which we strive, it is very important to listen to every client.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied costumer.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to make some comments regarding your recent stay.

Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We came to the Playa Grande without reference or recommendation. This is an extremely outstanding hotel, family destination and sincerely a wonderful place to stay with your young family even through to young teenage kids. You are treated with wonderful , polite service, never wait too long for food or a drink, the nighttime entertainment is outrageously funny and engaging. We highly recommend it for you family holiday. Money well spent. Rodrigo and roberto are very entertaining throughout the day during the happy hour show but truly make the nighttime shows very worthwhile. You will have a great time.

Room Tip: Be sure to put out your do not disturb sign the staff are too keen to clean your room. If you want...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Guests:

Thank you for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your recent stay!

We are glad that your experience with us was a pleasant one and we really appreciate your comment “Roberto and Rodrigo were outstanding!!!” about our activities staff!

In order to maintain the high standards of service and excellence for which we strive, it is very important for us to listen to every guest and owner.

Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with our staff.

If there are any other ways to serve you even better in the near future please let us know it will be a pleasure to help you.

Hoping to see you again soon we all send you our best regards from Playa Grande!

Spokane, Washington
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Our vacations only get better and better at PLAYA GRANDE. This is out 5th year going to Cabo over Christmas and New Years...two years ago we purchased at Playa Grande because we were so happy with our stay. The only complaint we had in the past about the cost was we had to pay for the internet service, as owners now, it is free! It didn't cost that much, but it is sure nice not to have to pay for that and pass that money (now tip money) onto the staff who work so hard.

We have a 9 year old daughter who LOVES the kids club, Vividiana and the other girls who help with the club are amazing. They all have such positive energy and smiles that never go away. There is never a dull moment, from tie-dying shirts, pinata, swimming, water balloons, mini golf, feeding the fish, tag, etc..... they feed them lunch off the menu, anything they want, price included. If you need a safe place for you kids to go and don't want to feel guilty putting them somewhere where they will be bored and not want to go back, this is the place!! My daughter did it three days straight and would have done it more if we would have let her. It has gone up in price over the last three years to $50 a day (9am to 4pm), that adds up quickly if you have more than one child. We did the all-inclusive plan for the three days our daughter went, so it paid for itself. We paid $37.50 for the all-inclusive plan for three days and that included all the food and drinks my daughter wanted around the pool, kids club, beach party, or any other special evening events, well worth it if you know you are going to do those things, and kids club. My daughter also always has to do the pottery painting by the pool, we always bring home one or two crafts she does. There is a new girl doing some of the recreation and she is a great addition to the Playa Grande team, I can't remember her name, but she did the braclet making class around the pool, she is sweet.

Hector...what can I say, what an amazing dancer and entertainer. He keeps everyone entertained and rolling in laughter by the pool, did a spot on impression of Michael Jackson before Santa arrived and also is part of the Carnival nights as a dancer.

Roberto is all over the place making people laugh and smile too. The beach party was amazing again this year, his helper (I can't remember her name, but she was part of the entertainment team and ran the congo line) was full of smiles and energy that never ends. If you do one thing, go to the beach party, it is right on the beach, fire going, band playing, games for the kids and adults, food, drink and desserts that never end. My stomach hurt after laughing so hard at Roberto's commentary the whole night.

We also did the Carnival Night. It was Italian food, made to order pasta, as well as pizza, lazagna, fantastic cheeses, breads, salads... etc...oh my.....so much fantastic food all buffet style. The entertainment was top-notch, all the dancers and singers were so amazing we all were totally entertained the whole time, another "must do" at Playa grande for the kids as well as the adults.

Unfortunately because of New Years eve falling on the fiesta night, we missed that, but it is just one more thing to look forward to next year, we will be there for that.

The pool has its issus as in previous years where people put towels down early in the morning and leave them until they get there later in the day. The signs say not to do that and after an hour the towels or belongings will be moved by staff, but I have never seen that done. I think changes need to be made in that reguard, maybe if you aren't there (either in the pool or on the chair or have someone in your party there, you can't have your stuff there). Darn frustrating to come down at 10 or 11am and all the chairs have towels on them already (reserved by early-risers) and no people on them. I say, you come to the pool to lay out or swim, bring your towel, you leave the pool area, how about vacating your place unless someone is physically there in your "party". I had that happen when I was there, I went down spent sometime laying out by the adult pool for a couple of hours, there was a couple next to me, they left and left their stuff on the chairs, the both of them. I wanted to go workout in the gym, I took my towel and bag, went to my room and changed into my workout attire, went to the gym and who was there? That exact couple that left their bag and towel by the pool. NOT COOL! I finished my workout, went to my room, showered and went back to he pool, that couple was just arrving back around the sametime I was, got back into their chairs like it was nothing..... my chair was taken, but that is the chance I took because I followed the RULES.

I was very disappointed by the upper "hot" tub this year. In years past it hasn't been too warm, but this year it was extra cold. The kids like to get into that pool to warm up because they aren't allowed in the lower hot tub. I also use that as I have a child I have to watch and can't get into the lower Adult hot-tub. I heard many people complaining about the temp in that pool. Some even told the staff, but in the two weeks we were there, it was always just slightly warmer then the cold pools.

I have already started counting the days to go back to Cabo and Playa Grand this next Christmas and New Years and would tell anyone and everyone you can't go wrong with Playa Grande!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank WSUcougar-Family
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guests from Spokane, Washington:

Thank you for your valuable comment “AMAZING STAFF AND SERVICE!!!!!!” and for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your recent stay.

We will make a special emphasis on the temperature of our Jacuzzi and the swimming pools and also to have a much better control on the lounge chairs during the day.
I will also gladly share your lovely comments with our activities staff ans especially with Viridiana, Hector and Roberto!

San Diego, California
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Playa Grande is a wonderful property. It has the feeling of luxury while also keeping a relaxed atmosphere. I have stayed here several times and have not been disappointed with my room, the service or the staff. I agree with everyone who had positive things to say about this property and so what I would like to focus on is the Solmar Foundation, which operates out of the Playa Grande lobby (upstairs, far left of registration). If you are not familiar, the Solmar Foundation helps needy families and children in the Cabo area fit into programs that best serve their needs. Dinorah De Haro is the woman in charge, and is nothing but kind, helpful and willing to go that extra mile to help you help others. It is through the Solmar Foundation (and Dinorah's personal assistance) that I am able to keep in touch and communicate with my sponsor child and his family in Cabo. I visit every 3 months to visit them and help in areas they most need it, and Dinorah visits and keeps me updated on their progress and needs during the times I am not physically there. She has been so instrumental in helping me to facilitate an ongoing relationship with the family and I couldn't help nearly as much without her. There are many children and families living well under the poverty line in Cabo, and Solmar Foundation is the #1 foundation in the area for aiding them in leading purposeful, healthy, happy lives. I urge you to speak with Dinorah about how you can help their efforts. You can donate money, time or gifts (the young girls really love nail polish and makeup!). Their website gives a list of items that they are always accepting and if you have a little room in your luggage on your way in, it would be a welcome donation, if you could squeeze in some extra toothbrushes, art supplies or blankets, etc. (Close to my trip, I go to Costco and see what items they have in bulk that I am able to carry with me). Playa Grande gives every guest the ability to add a monetary donation to their final bill when checking out. If you enjoyed your time in their city, pay it forward and give a little something back. The slightest bit is helpful and used to help those most in need. You can also turn your vacation into a "Volunteer Vacation", by accompanying the staff to one of the orphanages, schools, or program events. They could always use the extra help and the children in particular love seeing and interacting with us tourists. :) Call Dinorah ahead of time to make plans or visit her right on site. She works quickly and is there to help you in any way she can. Have a wonderful time! Don't forget to give back! Happy New Year!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 8senuff
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear Guests from San Diego, California:

What a nice detail and a so lovely comment concerning the Solmar Foundation “Pay-It-Forward!”

We are glad to know that you had a great time with us at Playa Grande your home away from home and also appreciate your tremendous help to many children and families living well under the poverty line in Cabo!
Please let us know in advance when you will come back to visit us, we will be very pleased to assist you in any way you may need to help these people!
We are all very happy to know that your experience with us was a very pleasant one.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with all our staff and obviously with Dinorah.
On behalf of my entire staff we want to wish you the best and we all send you our warm regards.
Sincerely yours.
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We spent Christmas, Dec. 23 - 28 at Playa Grande. This was our 2nd Christmas at PG. We rented a timeshare week. Even though we were unable to spend the whole week, the price was still better than if we would have booked directly with the hotel for five nights. We were in room 2501 which is located in Building L. This is a studio that offered a terrific view of the grounds and out to the beach and ocean. Certainly no problems with palms obstructing the view from this height.

Check in was very smooth. We had received confirmation from the owner and hotel regarding our stay. We presented that paperwork at the desk and were quickly on our way. Checkout was just as easy. We had checked our charges the day before checkout, they were all in order, as they were on the day we checked out. Very friendly personnel at the counter for check-in, check-out and the times we exchanged money. We received an exchange rate of 12.6 when the official rate was about 12.8, so we were happy with that.

The suite had a small kitchen, two burner stove, microwave, blender, coffee maker, toaster and all the utensils, dishes and pots and pans we needed. No oven. The fridge was large and handled everything we wanted to put in it. We generally made breakfast in the room, maybe a snack for lunch in the room and walked to town or marina for supper so I can't give you much information on the food. We did split a chicken quesadilla at the pool one day, which was large and tasty.

We spent most days at the pool by the adult pool near the wall. I must say the towel game was at full strength here and most chairs were marked by 9:30 am with those in the best area snatched up by 7:30. I think there were chairs available around the upper pools quite a bit later in the day. Alejandro provided us service at the pool most days. He was busy but did a good job of attending to our needs. A little extra tip never hurts when they are that busy!!

It is a relatively short walk to the marina and then town beyond that, maybe 10 minutes at most to the edge of the marina, which on the Playa Grande side of town, is Solomon's, Capt. Tony's, etc.

Playa Grande has a small store with many of the items you would need, but not a great price. There is an OXXO store at the end of the drive, 5 minutes from the lobby, that is comparable to a 7/11 or Quik Trip in the US, maybe not as many things as the newer models of those in the US, but the same concept.

Overall, another very good stay at Playa Grande and I would assume we will look to stay there again on our next trip to Cabo! I would certainly, actually have, recommend it to my friends, three of which have stayed there and were very happy. You would think I would be due for a free week!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Guests from Des Moines, Iowa:

Thank you for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your recent stay.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I thought the resort was nice. I loved the Wednesday beach party. It was a blast! The entertainment guy was so funny and the Live band was excellent! They really know how to get everyone dancing!
The resort is a little big and it takes a while to get to where you want to go. I loved the ocean view! So beautiful!
The lobby bar is very well decorated and has good food. They have more live music there on Saturdays. A nice little duet. Both the singers sing lovely. I think one is from the beach party band too. Such romantic music!
Because of where the resort is located you do need to take a taxi to go and do some shopping or its a little walk.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Leah V
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Dear Guests from Chicago, Illinois:

We are glad to know that you had a great time with us at Playa Grande your home away from home!
We also thank you for your nice comment “Great view of the pacific! Great live music!”
Please let us know in advance when you will come back to visit us, we will be very pleased to serve you again and fulfill your expectations!
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with all our staff.
Sincerely yours.