My husband and I stayed at this resort the last week of October. We went as guests of my sister and brother-in-law who are timeshare owners at the Grand Solmar. They also invited their friends. The resort itself is beautiful but the services need to be improved and better coordinated.
We were not told that we could not check in until 4pm. We arrived around noon and were starving, so I tried to get a hold of my sister so we can go get lunch. The lady at the concierge helped me dial her room number but she was not there so I wanted to sms her, but we found out there is no free wifi. The concierge did not say anything about how to get wifi even if we had to pay for it. --> Needs training on how to direct guests to the internet center to purchase wifi.
This entire resort is not friendly for vegetarians. The lobby restaurant did not have anything substantial to offer vegetarians. When we asked a different lady at the concierge, she said we could eat some salad there. We asked about veggie friendly restaurants outside the resort, and she said there are none. We ended up going down to the Brigantine and ordering burritos which seemed to be stuffed with frozen veggies. They could put in some beans, which we would have been happy with. We went to Brigantine for breakfast and wish they have more vegetarian options. --> In this health conscious age, there is no excuse not to have vegetarian options in the menus at all the restaurants; if not possible, at least have a list of veggie friendly restaurants outside the resort. Solomon's (by Wyndham hotel) has a great veggie burger option.
The rooms were nice and clean, and we were charged the special timeshare sales package price, so we did the 3 nights plus 1 night discounted rate. When we checked in, they told us our reservation was only for 3 nights even though we had the paperwork to show that we reserved for 4 nights. We later got the reservation for 4 nights, however, we were not told that we had to switch rooms on the last night until we got back the 3rd day, and our door entry card did not work. It would have been nice if they had given us some warning; better yet, why couldn't we they have put us in a room that was available the entire 4 days?
Wifi was intermittent and we could only get it for the 3 days/nights because that's when they thought our reservation ended. We had to go back to get another day/night and they gave us a password that did not work so we had to go back!
We arranged for transportation from and to the airport. Getting from the airport was not a problem, but they could not find our reservation back to the airport. We ended up making another reservation without the special price they promised us. The shuttles between resort hotels were decent though.
6. Timeshare sales pitch
The sales pitch itself was ok (we did not buy a timeshare, especially after all our arrival hassles). We were then told to go get our free "gifts". These were supposed to be discounts for activities we would like to do. The lady who sat us down offered us the discounts and we did not fully understand it but it sounded like it included another sales pitch at another resort. She even said she'll pick us up in her private car (hmmm...). We said we weren't sure if we wanted to do all the activities she offered, and wanted to go check with our family/friends. We put down a deposit anyway and said we'll come back. When we came back, we asked for clarification about the activities and decided we were not going to have time to do all the activities she offered. She was quite insistent that we had to do the other presentation even if we chose to do one activity. This whole free "gift" session was costing us more time than we wanted so we told her we don't have time and walked away. Our deposit was not returned and we did not receive any free "gifts" or discounts. We ended up paying full price for the activities we did.
Overall, the resort is nice and we got to do some fun stuff outside the resort, such as going to the Arch, Lovers and Medano beaches, local shops and restaurants, dolphin swim, etc. But we felt like we wasted a lot of time dealing with the resort issues such as reservation, internet service, free "gifts" session, moving to a different room, going back and forth, finding food that we can eat inside the resort, communicating with the staff, etc. We hope to return to the Cabo area someday to do other activities that we did not find time to do (such as go to La Paz or bird/whale watching, etc.), but our money will be better spent somewhere else. My sister and brother-in-law have been disappointed with the resort the last couple of years and may sell their timeshare as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Baja California's most exclusive and private Beach, along the Pacific Ocean side and a few steps from the Land's End and the famous natural arch, this charming, Mexican hacienda style all suite resort sits on eight acres of beach, only a few steps from the sparkling Pacific Ocean and a few minutes’ walking to downtown Cabo. This is a dramatic setting to relax and enjoy your dream vacation under the sun. If it’s shopping, fine dining and nightlife you’re looking for, downtown Cabo San Lucas is just a short stroll away. And if you’d really like to reward yourself, the world class Grand Spa will be waiting with a full range of luxuries that will nurture your body and soul. The Playa Grande Resort features all suites with private balconies, kitchens or kitchenettes, and distinctive touches such as marble floors, granite counter tops and hand crafted furniture and decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Playa Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Grande Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Playa Grande Cabo San Lucas
- Playa Grande Resort Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos