We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and my 50th. and stayed in Del Cabo for two weeks because we wanted to experience both sides. The first week we were alone and stayed in San Jose at The Grand Mayan which was a very very beautiful resort. The second week we stayed at Playa Grande which was the last week in May 2011. During our second week my sister-in-law and her husband joined us. We had travelled to Del Cabo in 2010 with another couple and stayed at Hacienda Del Mar. We really liked Del Cabo and wanted to try a resort closer to downtown Cabo San Lucas. Reading the reviews on Tripadvisor is why we ended up at the Playa Grande.
We got lost trying to find the resort, because there are no signs near resort. We had to get directions from the Police. We got there around 1:30pm and they would not allow us to check in until 4:00pm. We were forced to deal with their timeshare representative. This is really a bad tactic on their part. They should not forced people to have to be subject to the timeshare pitch. The only way you could get your towel card was to deal with one of their timeshare representative. The person that gives the key should give the towel card. This is not good that they make their guest go through this.
The resort itself is very beautiful and the lobby is gorgeous. During check-in we were told that we were not allowed to go to the Ridge section and use their pool facilaties, but could go to their restaurant. We did however use the pools at the Ridge. and the Ridge pool area was very nice, with two hot tubs and a slide in the pool. The view from the Ridge is just breathtaking. You can see the Marina and the ocean from the Ridge. The Main pool area was nice, too. However, the hot-tub by the adult pool wasn't working. They had lots of activities at the main pool section and the swimup bar didn't close until 7:00pm. Which was unusal and good. Most resorts close their swimup bar around 5:00pm.
We had a 1-bedroom suite which was small compared to other resorts we've stayed at. There were two bathrooms and the main bathroom was extremely tight with only one sink. We had problems with our patio doors closing and called maintenance to fix. They did come right up, but the one in the bedroom never shut properly so we put our luggage against the door. The balconies from both the living area and bedroom were very small and a little dangerous. The bed matress was too soft and you couldn't get a good night's rest because the matress was too soft.
The resort was nice, however, if we went back we would stay in the Ridge section of the resort. I hear the rooms are newer, nicer and bigger. In addition, we preferred the pool area of the Ridge over the main pool.
The resort is close to downtown Cabo where there are an abundance of shops ad restaurants. The Italian restaurant La Dolce was very good and we went there twice. The first night the owner bought us a glass of wine. We ate at Cabo Cantina, and Sushimaniacs...both were good. We ate at the Italian restaurant Alcaravea and it was ok. We had drinks at Happy Ending and the owner is very very nice. Drinks were extremely cheap and good. We had the Los Cabo Passport Card...and saved a lot of money. A lot of restaurants that take this card and it is worth the buy.
Del Cabo is my preferred trip destination. Both towns are different, and beautfiul. We loved both and can't wait to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on Baja California's most exclusive and private Beach, along the Pacific Ocean side and a few steps from the Land's End and the famous natural arch, this charming, Mexican hacienda style all suite resort sits on eight acres of beach, only a few steps from the sparkling Pacific Ocean and a few minutes’ walking to downtown Cabo. This is a dramatic setting to relax and enjoy your dream vacation under the sun. If it’s shopping, fine dining and nightlife you’re looking for, downtown Cabo San Lucas is just a short stroll away. And if you’d really like to reward yourself, the world class Grand Spa will be waiting with a full range of luxuries that will nurture your body and soul. The Playa Grande Resort features all suites with private balconies, kitchens or kitchenettes, and distinctive touches such as marble floors, granite counter tops and hand crafted furniture and decor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Playa Grande Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Grande Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Playa Grande Cabo San Lucas
- Playa Grande Resort Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos