“Nice, but rooms too small.”

Playa Grande Resort
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We were celebrating our 25th anniversary and my 50th. and stayed in Del Cabo for two weeks because we wanted to experience both sides. The first week we were alone and stayed in San Jose at The Grand Mayan which was a very very beautiful resort. The second week we stayed at Playa Grande which was the last week in May 2011. During our second week my sister-in-law and her husband joined us. We had travelled to Del Cabo in 2010 with another couple and stayed at Hacienda Del Mar. We really liked Del Cabo and wanted to try a resort closer to downtown Cabo San Lucas. Reading the reviews on Tripadvisor is why we ended up at the Playa Grande.

We got lost trying to find the resort, because there are no signs near resort. We had to get directions from the Police. We got there around 1:30pm and they would not allow us to check in until 4:00pm. We were forced to deal with their timeshare representative. This is really a bad tactic on their part. They should not forced people to have to be subject to the timeshare pitch. The only way you could get your towel card was to deal with one of their timeshare representative. The person that gives the key should give the towel card. This is not good that they make their guest go through this.

The resort itself is very beautiful and the lobby is gorgeous. During check-in we were told that we were not allowed to go to the Ridge section and use their pool facilaties, but could go to their restaurant. We did however use the pools at the Ridge. and the Ridge pool area was very nice, with two hot tubs and a slide in the pool. The view from the Ridge is just breathtaking. You can see the Marina and the ocean from the Ridge. The Main pool area was nice, too. However, the hot-tub by the adult pool wasn't working. They had lots of activities at the main pool section and the swimup bar didn't close until 7:00pm. Which was unusal and good. Most resorts close their swimup bar around 5:00pm.

We had a 1-bedroom suite which was small compared to other resorts we've stayed at. There were two bathrooms and the main bathroom was extremely tight with only one sink. We had problems with our patio doors closing and called maintenance to fix. They did come right up, but the one in the bedroom never shut properly so we put our luggage against the door. The balconies from both the living area and bedroom were very small and a little dangerous. The bed matress was too soft and you couldn't get a good night's rest because the matress was too soft.

The resort was nice, however, if we went back we would stay in the Ridge section of the resort. I hear the rooms are newer, nicer and bigger. In addition, we preferred the pool area of the Ridge over the main pool.

The resort is close to downtown Cabo where there are an abundance of shops ad restaurants. The Italian restaurant La Dolce was very good and we went there twice. The first night the owner bought us a glass of wine. We ate at Cabo Cantina, and Sushimaniacs...both were good. We ate at the Italian restaurant Alcaravea and it was ok. We had drinks at Happy Ending and the owner is very very nice. Drinks were extremely cheap and good. We had the Los Cabo Passport Card...and saved a lot of money. A lot of restaurants that take this card and it is worth the buy.

Del Cabo is my preferred trip destination. Both towns are different, and beautfiul. We loved both and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 8, 2011

At first I wasn't planning writing a review but then I said…I do read reviews before I book a vacation so why not do it. I was so excite to go to Cabo especially after we have had an amazing experience before at Villa La Estancia few years ago I figured it will be a perfect place to take out twin boys for their first birthday and my husband for his 40th. When we arrived at the resort I loved it. It looked great and from the ride there I was able to say it is situated in the heart of the city. During checking I realized that we were given a room at the Rigde which is apparently the newer and more expensive section at the Playa Grande Resort. Having seen the layout of the resort prior my arrival I immediately requested that we do not want to be at the Ridge no matter how big of a favor they think they are doing for us because I knew how far those rooms are from the main area. However that did not work since all the rooms in our category (two bedroom presidential suites) were occupied. The Ridge was nice but nothing special. Even though we were with two infants we were still given the very last room and farthest room possible. If anyone has small kids you know how many times a day you need to go back to the room for nap or for this or that…well in our case that was impossible to achieve since the room was so far we did not even want to leave the room at all. Once you leave the room you have a very long UP and Down walk to get to the lobby and the main part of the resort…it is beyond exhausting. The view of the room was TERRIBLE. We paid for an ocean view instead we got construction and marina. Bottom line Ridge is not worth the extra $$$ at all and to be honest is not much better and newer than the Playa Grande. Two days later after chasing the resort manager somehow we were transferred to the Ridge. The room was nice and the view was great. It gets a bit loud at night from all the night activities but it was OK nothing that you can't live through. The room was immediately next to the pools and the restaurants so it was 100 times easier with the kids than the previous room. The hotel staff on a scale 1 to 10 maybe 3 on a good day. The personal at the restaurants were very nice and friendly. However the people at the front desk were not so good. When we were given the new room they mentioned 100 times how they are doing us a very special favor and they will do it for free and the entire time I kept of reminding them that what I got is exactly what I booked and paid for nothing more. When I asked for compensation for the first two nights they disappeared from the face of the earth. There was no sorry or anything like that. G-D forbids if they have given us a free drink or even a bottle of water…anyway. BIG HINT: For those people who go on vacation but are still willing to dedicate few hours to work pay attention to the internet which is $13.50 a day and it works only by the pool and one device at the time (so you go figure it out).THE MOST IMPORTANTTIPS at the hotel: When we booked the package [...] we pre-paid an amount approximately 10% of the total hotel portion which was supposed to be given to the hotel so when you arrive you do not have any additional expenses to pay (beside for the un functional internet) and it is suppose to take care for the 10% tips. OMG when we got to the hotel no one had any idea about it so basically we had to tip everyone for everything and even when we did not give tip they were practically standing in front of you until you do give them tip and if you still do not do it they would just ask for it point blank. OVER ALL PLAYA GRANDE WAS NICE RESORT BUT THE STAFF AND THEIR UN PROFFESIONAL ATTITUDE MADE US WISH WE NEVER WENT THERE AND SIMPLY TELL EVERYONE THAT FOR THE SAME MONEY MAYBE LESS THERE ARE SOME MANY NICER PLACES IN CABO.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
9  Thank cukinadzakova
Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I honeymooned here and we absoultey loved it!!

The rooms were exceptionally clean and well kept - the cleaning staff were so wonderful and nice and accomodating.

The food was amazing! I have a very sensitive stomach but I ate EVERYTHING and felt great the entire time. The restaurant staff were amazing - my husband went deep sea fishing one day and the restaurant staff cooked up his catch for us for dinner in 3 different ways!

Location was great - everything within walking distance!

The only downside was that you could not swim in the ocean but the pool was lovely and we took a day trip to "lovers beach" where we swam.

Wonderful trip, wonderful resort....couldn't have asked for more!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kimm992
Reviewed June 5, 2011

Our first trip to Cabo in 2008 resulted in the purchase of a time share with Playa Grande. Firstly, do NOT get roped into buying a time share of any kind and certainly do not agree to a time share talk. If you truly are interested in time share travel then buy one by other cheaper means perhaps on reliable Internet sites from people trying to sell their own.

Back to Playa Grande. It is a top notch, clean and lovely resort with adult only heated pools. We upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite this year on the Ridge which is almost like staying in a different resort. The Ridge overlooks both the marina and the pacific ocean - awesome views. It is peaceful and quiet without loud obnoxious party music and kids running around.

The staff really do try to meet your needs. For example, they did away with wi-fi so you have to plug the Ethernet cable directly from the wall at the desk in the bedroom into your laptop. Well, my husband wanted to use the computer in the living room, so they accommodated us by bringing a longer Ethernet cable.

You will be pleased with your stay at Playa Grande, but if you like beaches, then you will have to drive a few kilometers to get to a swimmable beach.

• Stayed: May 2011
2  Thank Samma8
Reviewed June 4, 2011

This was the first time my husband and I and our 15-year old daughter and 11-year old son had been to Cabo. Given that we live on the frozen tundra in Minnesota, we typically travel somewhere warm each winter and are big fans of the Caribbean. This year we decided to try something different. I did a lot of research prior to booking our trip (mostly through Trip Advisor) and got a great package deal on Travelocity.com, which included a 1-bedroom Master Suite at Playa Grande
We used Cielito Lindo transportation from the airport to the resort, which we arranged in advance and highly recommend. Our driver, Danny, even stopped at the Mega store so we could stock up on food and drinks for our room and drove our shopping cart around for us, showing us the best deals in the store. Now that’s service!

This resort is large and absolutely beautiful – newer, high-end finishes and very clean. Our room had 3 beds, 2 bathrooms, a Jacuzzi, full kitchen, living room and 2 balconies which overlooked the pools and ocean. Our king-size bed was very comfortable – our kids slept on the pull-out beds in the living room which were less comfortable. There are a lot of people at Playa Grande who work very hard cleaning, landscaping, and making things look great. I had e-mailed the resort a week before we arrived and asked for a room on a high floor close to the ocean. I really didn’t think that was going to happen since we’re not owners and it was spring break, but that’s exactly what we got. Our room was on the top floor and very close to the beach. We kept the patio doors open at night and fell asleep to the sound of the waves.

We’re ocean lovers and Solmar beach is one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve ever seen. Since it’s on the Pacific side, there were constant huge waves crashing into shore and a wide sand beach that was clean and uncrowded. It was well worth getting up at 6 a.m. to walk the beach and see the sun rise. There were fisherman surfcasting early in the morning and just a few people walking - this is a beach where solitude can readily be found. There are only a few resorts on the beach and no vendors. We brought our lounge chairs down from the pool to the beach most afternoons to read or nap while listening to the surf. There is no swimming or wading on any of the Pacific side beaches - the undertow is very strong and the bottom drops off quickly from shore. There are a couple of places to swim in Cabo such as Medano Beach; however, we found that beach too congested with people and boats to do any swimming.

The location of Playa Grande is outstanding! A 10-minute walk to the marina where there are a number of shops and restaurants and a 15 minute walk to downtown where all the action is. No need to rent a car – we walked or took the bus everywhere. The resort had some great restaurants; however, we found them too expensive for our family, so we ate most of our meals in town or in our room. Some of our favorite restaurants were Desperados, Captain Tony’s, Soloman’s Landing, The Office, Baja Cantina and Gordon Lele’s. Had it just been the two of us, we would have checked out a couple of other places that looked fun – i.e. Mango Deck, Cabo Wabo, and a few higher-end restaurants.

The weather cannot be beat. It was 80-85 degrees every day with no humidity. Pure bliss! There were some days where we hung out at one of the 5 pools, hot tubs and beach much of the day and others where we went exploring. We met a great family from New York by the pool one day and spent time with them. We took a water taxi to see the Arch and other sites. We booked a sunset dinner cruise through Rissalana which was fantastic. We went fishing and came back with a boatload of fish which Captain Tony’s cooked up for us that night – plus had a sea lion join us on the boat and saw a whale less than 10 feet away. We wanted to go snorkeling at Chileno Bay and take a trip into San Jose, but ran out of time - 6 days was not enough! We love photography and were mesmerized by the beautiful sights in Cabo. We took 1200+ pictures and it’s taken a long time to pare that down to a reasonable number to share with others!

There is a small store at the resort and we were able to get things we needed at fairly reasonable prices. We bought Internet service for a couple of days. It was expensive @ $12 per day and worked only on the balcony and at one of the pools. We ended up using the computers at the business center for a very reasonable price to communicate with family and friends at home.

With the exception of one surly employee at the check-in desk, the service at Playa Grande was great. Anything we needed was delivered right away with a smile. I had read reviews which talked about high pressure timeshare pitches, and am happy to report we did not encounter that at all.

We had a great vacation and would definitely return to Playa Grande!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor near the ocean
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank christina1072
Reviewed May 31, 2011

First of all I own several weeks at Playa Grande, Solmar and maybe one at the Grand Solmar. I started coming here in the late 90's and fell in love. Other than the agressive ladies at the entrance and the sales department, your stay will be pleasant. The staff tries to accomodate requests and is usually pretty good about things. The prices have increased, so be careful.

Be prepared to PAY for internet access. They charge you and the service is only guaranteed in the pool area. By that, it is the main pool at Playa Grande, not down near the adult pool.

The food is pretty good and I recommend the shrimp salad for lunch, Yummy!

Now - the ladies at the front. They are not all bad, but they have a job to snag ALL guests and get them into a timeshare presentation. If they even think you are heading out for another resort's presentation, be prepared for 20 questions. Do NOT let them tell you that you have to get a presentation to get your towel cards. Just tell them you want your cards and that is all. If you sign up and do not show, they will probably call you later so be prepared.

If you do get to the sales department, be smart. Please don't trust that you are getting the best deal or that they are being honest with you. My experience is that they will not honor what they tell you or even write in an email. Customer Service in this area is substantially lacking.

If you want to own here, try ebay or Redweek.com. You can pick up a unit for next to nothing compared to what they are trying to sell you. Don't let them sell you on a floating week either. I received 10 years of a floating two bedroom unit that I tried 6 different times (and weeks) to reserve and it was "never available". If you get a fixed week and want to change your week, they will let you do it internally for a fee. Better to do that that acutally purchase a floating unit that you'll never get to book.

They are really pushing the all inclusive packages. Since they are raising the prices, it might make sense. However, the kitchens are great (remember no ovens) and there is a Costco, Walmart and a large grocery store within a taxi ride, so think about your options!

The spa is wonderful, but also a bit pricey. Make sure you plan to spend time before your massage at the saltwater whirlpool. It's beautiful and so relaxing.

Have a great trip!

Room Tip: www.playagrandeclub.net they have room locations
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
9  Thank MishMishKitty
Reviewed May 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed with our two children (7 & 6 yrs. old) at the Playa Grande in May 2011. We arrived late afternoon and used private shuttle transportation we booked through the hotel with Cape Travel. We ignored all the solicitors in the airport until we got out the second set of doors at the very front of the airport. We went to the man with the Cape Travel sign, showed our confirmation and they were very quick at getting us to our private SUV transportation. Take 2 copies of your transportation confirmation since they take one when they pick you up. Travel back to the airport was via local taxi service, which are pretty much all Ford vans. At the end of our stay, we showed the hotel concierge the second copy of our transportation confirmation and they already had a voucher ready for the taxi back to the airport. No problems at all.

My company owns a timeshare here and we stayed in a 2 bedroom penthouse suite as guests of members. After you check in they route you to a concierge who gives you your pool towel cards and various activity brochures. They also give you a voucher to come to a timeshare presentation. We asked what we should do if we decided not to come at the time they listed and they gave us a few other days & times. We didn't attend a presentation and did not get any pressure at all when they first offered or at any other time during the trip. Possibly because we had 2 young children who might not sit still, possibly because we were listed as members on the reservation, but in any case, our experience was absolutely no pressure.

Since we arrived in the late afternoon, we decided to go to Wal-Mart first thing so we would have something the kids would eat. The cabs all charge the same thing based on how far into town you're going. Most cab rides into Cabo are $6, I think Wal-Mart is $10 or $12 one way. Wal-Mart had everything we needed including a lot of recognizable U.S. brands. There's a guy outside who will get you a taxi back to the hotel. We didn't use everything we bought so we wrote a note on the maid's tip envelope telling them they could keep anything they wanted. BTW, our maid, Edith, did our dishes for us, which was awesome!

The room was fabulous: 2 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, dining/living area, kitchen with everything except an oven, 3 TVs & 3 balconies. Beautiful views. Very clean. GREAT water pressure in the showers and always hot water! The beds were firm but comfortable and both my husband and I commented that our backs didn't hurt after the week, which is sometimes a problem with hotel beds. One note about the room's electricity: in our room there was a small box on the wall right when we walked in the room. It's like the card reader used for the room key. They had the "Do Not Disturb" card in there. The first night, we put the DND card in our front door and a little while later, all the lights went out. We were really confused for a few minutes thinking maybe the power went out. Then I remembered a review I'd read that mentioned having to keep your room key in this slot in order to keep the power on. We put one of our extra room keys in there the entire trip and never had the problem again. There weren't any signs in our room that told us this trick, so thanks to the reviewer who included this! There is a flyer where they ask you to conserve power and turn off lights and air when you leave the room, so I guess this is their way of doing this. In any case, once we figured it out, we didn't have any other trouble.

As for the pool towel cards, don't lose them...they charge $16 if you lose one and don't have a towel to exchange for it. We never had any problem with this; when we had a soaked towel but weren't done swimming, we just walked over and traded for a dry one. Just make sure to get your cards back when you turn in your towels. There are 3 pools that kids can enjoy and one adults-only pool. We never had trouble finding chairs by the pool. We loved that there are plenty of umbrellas so we could have sun or shade whenever we wanted. Service by the pool is good once you learn that you should flag down your waiter. They're in the light blue shirts and straw hats. Once you know who you're looking for, they come by all the time and the service was very quick.

The food was pretty good, but expensive. We thought their breakfast was better than lunch or dinner, though the Mexican Fiesta and Beach Party food wasn't bad. Good pizza, which was always hot when we got it. But by the end of the trip, we wished we had ventured into town a few more times and tried a few different restaurants.

So, on to the best feature of the hotel - the Activities Staff! Hector, Roberto, Rodrigo & Alejandra are all fabulous. Hector and Roberto in particular were just wonderful with our kids. There are pool games during the day including water aerobics, tequila volleyball and poolside trivia. On Mondays they have a Mexican Fiesta night and on Wednesdays a Beach Party night. Arrive on time because it's a show. We missed the first part of the Mexican Fiesta and were sorry we did because our son really wanted to participate with the kids' part of the show. They're great at involving the guests and SOOOO good with the kids. We arrived on Sunday and by Wednesday my kids were literally hanging all over Hector and chasing Roberto around the Beach Party. My daughter was the kids' winner of the Limbo competition. They gave her a little princess tiara and called her "princess" the rest of our stay. We even saw Rodrigo at Puerto Paraiso mall and he recognized us and talked to the "prince & princess" for a few minutes. By the time our week ended, we felt like we were part of the family. They have a kid's club that offers full day activities and 2 nights where the parents can go out for a few hours. There were just enough kids at the hotel for our kids to make a few friends, but not overrun with them. Nobody in the kid's club as far as we could tell, so our kids wanted to stay with us and we didn't use it. The kids had no interest in sight-seeing or snorkeling, so we stayed by the pool most days. Thank you to the Activities Staff!!! You helped make this trip memorable for our kids!!

Overall, our trip was absolutely wonderful and the hotel a fabulous place to stay. We hope to be able to return next year!!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family