“great vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Santiago, Chile
“great vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2007

I stayed 1 week with my 2 daughters aged 14 and 6. We had a great time. The room was very spacious and the service was very good. My kids liked the swimming pools with warm water and the everyday fab sunsets. Walking down the beach was a exciting event too. The food was OK. It´s close to several golf courses but not from downtown.

• Liked — the pools and the scenery
  • Disliked — distance to downtown
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,419)
  • Korean first
toms river, new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

We just returned from a fantastic two week stay at Sunset Beach. It was our first trip to Cabo and we were not dissapointed. We purchased an aftermarket timeshare sight unseen, could not be more pleased with our decision.
The resort is beautiful, rooms nicely equiped and decorated. Spotelss, with daily housekeeping, great mattresses a pillow menu and every room has an outstanding ocean view. What more could you want? Even our "Junior Suite" was very spacious.
The food in the restaurants was very good and moderaely priced (especially considering the great views and the fact you are staying at a resort). There is a "deli" - actually more like a large convenience store on site that for the most part is well stocked and reasonablly priced.
Service was very good, the pools were well maintained and always had lounges available - it was a nice touch that they do NOT let people reserve chairs by coming out early in the morning. Pool towels are collected from vacant chairs throughout the day.
Shuttle service to "sister" hotels downtown were readily available and quite comfortable. Taxi service downtown was $10 each way - not bad at all. Taxi from the airport was $85 - shuttles are available for $17 per person.
Downtown Cabo was just OK - the Marina was quite nice - plenty of bars and restaurants.
If you get a chance to visit Sunset Beach is well worth the trip - we can't wait to return.

• Liked — Spectacular views!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
10 Thank siriusbl
Old Saybrook, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2007

We traded our RCI week to stay at the PBSB. There were five of us, my husband and I and our three boys 10-13. We have stayed at resorts in Hawaii, France, Disney, Arizona and dozens of hotels. This resort, by far, was the nicest. The unit (2bedroom,2bath) was huge and had a wonderful deck with Jacuzzi. I had a shoulder injury and requested a unit with a jacuzzi and they quickly honored my request. Not only are the rooms and grounds beautiful, but the people who worked there were some of the friendliest I have experienced. I truly felt relaxed and welcomed every day. We ate at the pools and at the Bistro restaurant a number of times and had a delicious experience.

The only drawback was the lack of washer/dryers in the units or on the grounds. The amount of laundry a family of five goes through in a week is too excessive to use the laundry service which is priced per piece of clothing.

This resort truly knows how to make you feel like you are on vacation and should do nothing but relax and enjoy.

• Liked — spacious units, friendly staff
  • Disliked — no washer/dryer facilities
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank momadyl
San Carlos, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2007

I am a time share owner at this wonderful property and have been going here for 4 years now. The property and rooms are top notch and I love that it is 10 minutes away from all the people and locals selling things in town. There are now 4 or 5 pools I believe and happy hour seems to last all afternoon. These are real happy hours with great homemade drinks to order for low prices. Their weekday buffet breakfast is also fabulous and a great bargain at less than $15 per person. The taxi ride each night into town is quick and there are always taxis waiting in the lobby and round trip the most we've ever paid to anywhere in Cabo is $12 US + tip. The daily shuttle service to the Rose is also very convenient and we love spending a day in the covered lounge chairs on the beach in front of the Rose with signing priveledges for food and drinks - they have the same fantastic hapy hour. In addition to my annual time share week, I have gone and stayed via Expedia and Funjet in one of their hotel rooms (slighly smaller than the timeshare jr suite I own and without a kitchette - but it does have a mini frig).

• Liked — beautiful and top notch property
  • Disliked — wireless is not yet in all the rooms - free in lobby/chapel area
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank awalker19
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

We had a fantastic week here. For the most part the resort was awesome. it was very clean and beautiful. The staff was very nice, friendly, and helpful. We did have some difficulty getting the golf carts to pick us up and get us back to our room, especially at night. We would have to call 3 to 4 times and wait over 30 min. But there was a wedding there that week, and they were very busy. The guys driving the carts were really a lot of fun and always happy, but hang on to your hats (and the cart) because sometimes it's a wild ride!! The food was really good, but I did get food illness after dinner one night and it lasted 3 days. Not sure, but I think it might have been the Shrimp Cocktail. The service at the Restaurants were excellent. It was wonderful to have maid service every day, that is unusual for a timeshare. We didn't like not having a washer and dryer in the rooms, and would suggest those be added, or at least one or two at the resort to use. We will definately go back, hopefully next year! We highly recommend it to anyone! Also, the massages were the best I have ever have. They have a fabulous spa.

Stayed August 2007
3 Thank Tuna51
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2007

We just returned from PBSB, had a great time! Beautiful resort, very relaxing, great food, good service, nice people. Nothing bad to say about the place. Very clean, nice grounds. Pools are nice especially loved the sky pool. Great place for families. It is away from the downtown area but we saw this as a positive thing. I would definately go back!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank luvchotinis
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2007

I selected this hotel because of many of the reviews and pics from the travelers here on this site. This was my fourth trip to Cabo and I always try different places. This was probably my second favorite (behind the Solmar) but much of that is because of personal preferences that others may or may not agree with.

I love to review the candid photos especially since the hotel shots are often “marketing” pics and don’t tell the whole story. In this case, however, the hotel shots are a realistic depicture of what the place looks like.

This resort is quite large. With large comes a lot of people, however, since it is so spread out you don’t notice it as much as you might otherwise, but for me personally, I like an even quieter place (hence my love of the Solmar even though the rooms are more dated and smaller).

I selected a master suite and my friends I traveled with had the standard rooms (or junior suites). The master suite is very large; it could easily accommodate a family with room to stretch out. A plus was mine had two full baths with large walk-in showers in each (not sure if that is standard issue). The deck extended the entire length of the suite which was great for entertaining. I was in building 29 which is a little more removed from some of the other buildings; however, for me it was nice. I did not have to experience the occasional noise of late night partiers or the carts running along the main drag at night (which some of my friends had more of). All buildings have great views so you can’t really go wrong, but some are slightly better than others (i.e. the ones closest to the beach so you can hear the wave’s crash would be the “best” in my opinion). The junior suites are more like a standard hotel room comparable to a Sheraton or Marriott in a resort location. Request a corner room if you can in either case. One of my friends had a studio timeshare room (likely because they had run out of junior suites which was what was requested) which was quite nice in building 8 and had a fully equipped galley style kitchen.

The restaurant choices in the hotel itself are decent and there is something for everyone. Yes, it’s a little bit expensive but really no more than most hotels in the U.S. and possibly a little less. There is a breakfast buffet in the restaurant on the beach that runs about $16 US and comes with a good variety of items. A la carte menus are also available and a standard eggs with meat and toast runs about $7. The surprise was the sushi which is really quite good, much better than I expected and very creative and innovative selections. You can also get just about anything else from pizza to gourmet dishes. Where they will get you, however, is in their “deli” markets. If you buy liquor or snack items in them, wallet beware. We went into town the first day and went to the City Club (like a Costco) which will sell you a day pass for $2. Several items are in large portions (like Costco) but there are deals to be had. The best deal was purchasing our libations there for 75% less than the cost of buying the same item at the hotel market. We then enjoyed evening cocktails on our decks. Water also was much less expensive, a 2 gallon jug for seventy five cents where the hotel will charge seven dollars for something half the size. The hotel will not allow you to transport any groceries on their free shuttle bus (I imagine as they want you to purchase it there) so we took the shuttle in and a cab back which ran around $12.

I thought the service was fine. I would not call it any better than other resorts I have been to in Cabo; however the staff was professional and courteous. Since the resort is so large, you don’t get that personalized, “Hello Mrs. Jones” you might in a smaller place or get to know the staff as well. I made a habit of tipping often (i.e. the golf-cart drivers, maid service, etc.) but I noticed a lot of people did not. I did not feel like I really got any better service for doing that but I still thinks the nice thing to do.

They do try to sell you a timeshare when you first arrive with the “free breakfast” deal but I said “no” and did not experience any pushiness. Others have written it’s worth it to take the 90 minute tour for the “freebies” but I opted out.

The beach is very private and peaceful. No swimming on this side of the Pacific as everyone knows. You can always go to the sister resorts or take a boat/snorkeling trip and your get your ocean swimming fix.

My last comment will be on the resort layout itself. Yes, there are lots of hills and steep ones at that; however, if you are in halfway decent shape you may actually enjoy this (as I did). I walked every morning (around 7am) from the beach up to the sky pool (yes, it is a pretty as everyone says) and got a nice mini-workout by doing that while enjoying a fantastic, peaceful view from the top. Even if you don’t like to climb hills, the cart transportation is readily available. Indeed they are gas powered but I don’t know how you would get around that since traditional golf carts would not have the power for the steep hills. The pool by the beach is the busiest but also the most fun if you want the high activity level. Choose another pool if you want it quieter. The gym is probably one of the best I’ve seen at any resort (but you will pay to use it). The spa is also nice but pricey (comparable to U.S. hotel spa prices). Internet access is available free (wireless only) in one common area near the lobby. They limit where you can sit to use it (i.e. no sitting at the tables outside the café) but that was not a huge issue. I did not have internet access in my room at all (I think some rooms may for a fee but would have to confirm that and I did hear a rumor they were planning to eventually extend it to all rooms). There also is a small internet café on property but expensive.

Lastly, make sure and review your bill carefully. Both me and one of my friends had some erroneous charges from the mini bar (which neither of us used). The hotel, however, was very accommodating on this and removed the charges immediately without question.

Happy traveling all!