“Excellent Choice for R&R”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
So. Cal
“Excellent Choice for R&R”
Reviewed July 16, 2007

Absolutely beautiful! After debating several different hotels, we decided on this one. Although several friends warned on staying on the Pacific ocean side (no swimming in the ocean), we found the uncluttered beach (free of vendors, etc) truely rewarding of the word "vacation." When we took the shuttle to the City - we couldn't wait to get back. Resort staff was friendly and informative. Food at the restaurants were great. Golf cart rides around the resort were an enjoyable and thrilling experience at times. I was glad they have them! Each room has a clear view of the ocean. That was a huge bonus and well thought out by the designer....

• Liked — Rooms with a view
  • Disliked — hmmm...
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TravelWarriorx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,572)
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 15, 2007

I was very impressed with this resort!! I take vacations to various destinations ~3 times a year, and I must say that this resort was the most beautiful place I've ever stayed! My room was large, clean, had a nice view of the beach, and a very comfortable bed. The property is huge, so the golf cart accommodations are convenient and a nice benefit. There are at least 4 pool areas, so none were ever crowded....with a large main pool overlooking the beach, 2 smaller pool areas on the property, and a large sky pool at the top of the property. You can't swim in the ocean at this location..too dangerous with strong currents....but that wasn't important to me. You can walk and lay along the beach though. Food was excellent at all the restaurants on the property and there are aquabars at each pool. Later in the evening, they do play music at the pool, but it wasn't incredibly bothersome....just go lay on one of the lounge chairs on the beach if you're looking for more quiet time and the sound of waves crashing. There is no "night life" at this resort....everything starts to close and die down around 10pm. I did attend the "vacation ownership" presentation because of the gifts I received, and it was worth it. If you have ~1.5 - 2 hours to spare and don't mind negotiating gifts you want (cover the cost of a specific tour, $100 for use at the spa, $100 to use at restaurants on the property), then you should do it. There was only 1 guy that made some rude comments after I informed him I wasn't signing up for anything, but I told him goodbye and headed for the exit. Everything at this resort was great (room, view, restuarants, spa, property lay-out, etc.)!!! I will definitely return!

• Liked — Just about everything
  • Disliked — completely quiet after 10pm
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank AlwaysUp4Travel
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 11, 2007

We just got back from a full week at Pueblo Bonito at Sunset Beach, and we had a good time. We are a family of four in our early thirties with two young children, seven and five. After reading so many mostly negative reviews about the resort, we really just said that we’d make-up our own mind about the place and go from there. We really love this resort! It is so accommodating for both families and people without children. There are six pools, so you don’t have to wake-up at the crack of dawn to reserve a pool chair, and all the kids aren’t concentrated in one area to drive adults crazy! It’s one of the better ones we’ve stayed in, in our travels around the world. I wanted to share with everyone our experience and hopefully some tips that may help families or anyone really.

Main Lobby-is beautifully decorated with bold high ceilings with rich beams and colors. The ONLY thing I didn’t like about the lobby or pool area restrooms was the smell. I think they either burn incents or candles, or something, but the smell for me was very strong and overpowering. It’s hard for me to pin point the actual origin of scent but all I know is that it was too much for me. My husband and kids on the other hand didn’t really mind.

Golf Carts-were cool! Our kids really enjoyed riding in them. We used them all the time, even though our villa to the main lobby wasn’t too far of a walk. We NEVER waited longer than three or four minutes if that for a cart, and usually we never really waited at all even if there were quite a bit of people waiting to get on. There’s not just one cart, there are probably 10 or so all working to get you where you want to go. We didn’t tip our golf cart driver at all, only the ones who brought our luggage in and out of the hotel room. The drivers are courteous and if they see you walking or waiting, they’ll ask if you need a ride. A tip to keep in mind is that whenever we were about to leave the room in one or two minutes, I would call up to the golf carts (ext 8314) and just say that we needed a cart to our room. Again, they usually came within minutes of us calling. Even if you’re at the pool, use the house phone to call for a cart, it’s easy.

Villas-The resort is beautiful and big, but not overwhelming. We stayed in the junior suite in the 800s, which is right in the middle of the Main Pool on the bottom by the shore, and the Villa 17 pool by the lobby. The walk either way was not bad at all (the kids didn’t even complain). There are stairs and paths on the sides of the buildings that are shorter than walking the winding path the carts take. The room we were in was very nice with modern amenities, kitchen, and décor. Housekeeping comes in twice, to clean the room and then to turn down the beds in the evening. We tipped the housekeeper $2 USD a day with a little note saying, “Muchas Gracias or Thank You!” that’s another thing to keep in mind, tipping. It is customary to tip almost everyone. For us, our usual tip was $2 USD or 20 pesos, except in the restaurants, which was usually more. The ONLY complaint I had about my room were the tiny ants that were around the kitchen and the food that they leave for you to purchase. I called about three times for an exterminator to come out and spray, which they did, but it didn’t help. We didn’t use the kitchen area, so I just gave-up. Oh, and the paper thin walls that I read in other reviews, not so thin. We were on the second of three floors, and considering that the floors are beautiful stone and tile and occasionally you could hear walking or flushing, the good out weighs the bad. It’s just a little sound, not like you can hear anyone’s conversation. No big deal!

Pools-We visited all six pools, but the pool we spent most of our time at was the Villa 17 pool, where there’s the separate kids big round pool with two slides. Our kids didn’t want to go anywhere else. They met friends, played and swam for hours and hours each day. There are two big pools that are there too which was great for the adults, and a few steps down was the adult only pool. Again, like I said earlier, no need to wake-up at the crack of dawn to reserve a chair. Go when it fits into your schedule and wing it. 9 out of 10 times we found four chairs with an umbrella right near the kids’ pool (that’s where we wanted to be). The great thing about the resort are the number of pools to prevent over crowding and chair hogging, as well as noise control. There are fewer kids congested into one pool area. The main pool had a kids area and slide too, but my kids like the other pool better.

Food and drinks-at the resort were good. We ate at The Bistro twice and both times we were pleased. The price range was about $11-15 dollars on average, but the kids’ menu is very reasonable. The kid’s mac and cheese is sooo good. It’s not the kind from the box! Pool food and room service range in the same price and both were good too, but they pretty much have the same items found in The Bistro. The less expensive alternative for food was the deli. We had the pastrami sandwich which came with a choice of salad for $6.80 USD. Not bad at all and it was good too! The drinks by the pool are strong and yummy, but watch out for the margaritas because they're strong! Be sure to ask the front desk at check-in for the rotating happy hour schedule.

Cabo Dolphins-was the only activity we wanted to do besides laying by the pool. My son and I did the dolphin swim which is one hour and boy, what a memorable swim and experience. My son’s seven and he wasn’t afraid at all. We’re in a group of six with a dolphin and trainer. We each got to dance, sing, touch, and get kisses from Olin the dolphin. We also each got to swim with her as we held on to her top fin. The facility is clean, new and up-to-date. The dolphins are trained and well mannered and the trainers are good too. It was a wonderful opportunity to just be able to swim with a dolphin so close. The down side to Cabo Dolphins is their way of extorting your money. My husband and daughter did not swim, but they were able to sit and watch us up close, but NO ONE is allowed to video or take pictures (they make you sign something before going in). That’s how they make their money. Of course we wanted pictures and we paid $80 USD for 8 pictures on a CD (that seemed to be the least expensive alternative for us). Great experience…try it!

Dining in Cabo-was good but expensive for us. An average of $50-60 USD for a meal is not what we typically do everyday at home. Nevertheless, the food we had was good and here is some information about the restaurants we went to in Cabo.

Mi Casa-for dinner was a Mexican delight. We didn’t have reservations but we were seated immediately. Reservations are recommended. This is about $$$ but the Poblano Chicken Mole and BEST freshly made tortillas were well worth it.

The Office-for breakfast/lunch was tasty too. This place is on the beach and about $$. The banana pancakes are a must have and the carne asada tacos and chips and salsa are one of the best we’ve had. GOOD eats!

The Sand Bar- for breakfast and dinner was a more affordable and tasty treat on the beach. Following a local’s recommendation that the Sand Bar for breakfast was good and more affordable than The Office, so we tried it, and we’re glad we did. Breakfast is $ and the Mexican omelets and hotcakes are pretty good, not to mention the carne dish. We liked it so much we went back for a nice dinner too. Dinner’s about $$, but worth it. The Mexican platter which had a nice piece of grilled flank steak was yummy and worth the $16 USD. My husband had the surf and turf for $27 USD with lobster and flank steak too. The chicken fingers for the kids were big enough for my kids to split one order, and they were real chicken fingers, not the processed fast food stuff.

Mocambos-for a seafood dinner was delicious too. It’s about $$ and service is great. Order seafood, not the beef fajitas. They’re not really good with beef. The kid’s chicken quesadilla’s were great too and again, big enough for my kids to share one.

Eateries we want to try next time that we heard were good and affordable as we were leaving Cabo: Pepe’s Tacos for tacos, Zapata for Mexican food, Café Mazatlan for seafood, and the Golden Chicken for chicken. All we were told were in close range to each other.

Time share-vultures will attack as you exit the airport, but unless you want to waste your time on BS, say, “No, thank you” and move along to outside the airport where you REALLY find the transportation. The vultures will say they can help you and they know your driver, but DON’T fall for it. It’s BS to get you to go to their thing. They are NOT part of Pueblo Bonito at Sunset Beach! They will say they are, but no they’re not and this was confirmed to us by the people at Sunset Beach. We did sign-up and go to the Sunset Beach timeshare presentation. They gave us a great deal for the dolphin swim (half-off), and $200 for food at the Sunset Beach. The guy we had was cool and knew we were just in it for the stuff. We spent our 90 minutes and we were off, no hard feelings or attitude!

Transportation-There is a free shuttle to the Rose’ and we would walk to the beach eateries from there. Not a far walk and it’s right on Mendano Beach with all the activities and vendors. Do not try to walk from the Rose' to the Marina, especially with little kids because it’s too far. Take a water taxi to Cabo Dolphins or the Marina! We took a taxi a couple of times from Sunset Beach to downtown Cabo, which was about $10 USD one way. We recommend reserving your transportation from the airport to the hotel before arriving in Cabo. We used Cape Travel and they were efficient and there were many drivers so there was no wait time.

We hope this helps because I wanted to know as much as I could before going to Cabo. Have a great time…we did!

• Liked — The many pools at the resort.
  • Disliked — The ants in the room and the smell in the lobby/pool restrooms.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
20 Thank chairie7
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 10, 2007

The property is beautiful - several pools with swim-up bars, attentive staff, incredible spa. The downside is the fact that it's terraced into a steep hillside so walking around isn't easy and waiting for carts to take you around all the time is a pain. They are usually quick, but I prefer to walk if possible (too steep here). The other down side is the fact that it's on the beach where you can't swim or get near the water. If you are the type who loves to be driven around in golf carts and don't care about the beach, it will be perfect for you! I highly recommend getting a pedicure in one of their massage chairs - best I've ever had. Pueblo Bonito Rose is very nice, walking distance to town, and on the swimming beach, so I'll stay there next time.

• Liked — beautiful room
  • Disliked — hard to get around
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank Fysty01
Colorado
Reviewed July 4, 2007

In January 2006 I was a guest of a Pueblo Bonito timeshare owner who always stayed at Rose or Blanco. During that visit, I purchased a timeshare at Sunset Beach and visited this beautiful place from May 27 to June 3, 2007. Because the Trip Advisor site contains some useful information from travelers, I always check out the reviews of my accommodations before I travel. So did the other four ladies with whom I was traveling. I was a little nervous when I read about bad experiences with the airport shuttle, loud and smelly golf carts, timeshare vultures intruding one’s privacy, rude or apathetic staff and a long wait for the golf carts or shuttle service. We experienced none of the above.

At the airport we were greeted by a Grayline representative as soon as we got our luggage. The air-conditioned van held us and two others who were staying right next to us, so we made no stops along the way. Check-in and out was on a Sunday, which I’ve read is an easy day. There was only one person in line ahead of us. I had used RCI to upgrade from a junior suite to a one-bedroom unit at an additional cost of $141, and I showed Alonso, the kind gentleman at the desk, my certificate, which he accepted with no hassle. The golf cart driver took us right to our room on the first floor at the end of building 12 and carried all our luggage inside. The room was clean, and the view was perfect.

We bought a few groceries at the deli on the premises (a little pricey) for the first day and went into town the next day for groceries for the week. The main supermarket across from Hard Rock has reasonable prices and a large selection. You can take the shuttle in, but you will have to take a cab back with your groceries. By the way, we never had a problem getting on a shuttle, which only takes you to the Rose. We went to the concierge at Sunset and were issued a ticket five minutes before the shuttle arrived. The ride to Rose is about 15 minutes, but you will have to walk into town to shop, which is about 10 minutes. You can take the rather depressing streets or walk along the beach. The kind people at the grocery store got a cab for us in seconds and loaded all our many sacks of groceries. Our golf cart driver at Sunset helped carry our groceries into the condo.

The main pool at Sunset Beach was never crowded, and this was the Memorial Day holiday. The waiters were efficient, personable and helpful as was all of the staff. The “quiet” pool was supposedly for adults only with the adjacent pool above it available to children. We found that pool too quiet and stiff for us. We visited the sky pool one evening to see a sunset, but there were no clouds for the occasion. In fact, the only clouds we had during the week were for a short period on two mornings.

No timeshare sales people approached us at any time. Maybe they cruised the Sunset restaurants, but we didn’t eat in any of them. We used our kitchen to make our meals, ordered lunch at the pool (so-so) and ate at The Office, a restaurant on the beach in Cabo. You will need to make reservations there (ask the concierge). It was pretty expensive ($38 for a good steak, potato and salad bar). Next door is a fun, hopping place called the Mango Deck, where it’s happy hour all day. It’s all outdoors on the sand. El Squid Row is a Senor Frogs type of place if you want to have a drink in a fun, happy place.

Shopping is the same as it is in many other places in Mexico. You can either go to a mall or to the little shops. It’s easy to get confused because the streets are not always parallel, but just ask for directions if you lose your way. Silver jewelry is cheaper than in the states, and the stones (fire opals, tanzanite and pink ice) and designs are unique.

One day we went to the pool at Pueblo Bonito Blanco, which we didn’t like because it was so crowded, and the pool was so much smaller than at Sunset (and at Sunset you have many pools). That same day we took the water taxi to Lover’s Beach, which was great fun. You can’t swim on the Pacific side of the beach, but it wasn’t a good idea that day to swim on the Sea of Cortez side of the beach either due to rip tides. Those going too close to the ocean at Sunset will be approached by staff there as you will probably drown if you attempt to fight the undertow. The beach at Sunset is great for walking long distances because it has no rocks, seaweed or obstructions like Cancun beaches.

We never had a problem getting a golf cart. Outside of our condo was a phone to call for one, and the service was immediate. All the drivers were happy, helpful and courteous to us, pedestrians and approaching carts. Since our condo was at the end of that building, we were never interrupted by any noise that others may hear in other locations of the complex. You could be walking and get tired, and a cart would pick you up as well.

We used the phone in the condo to call the states. Each day you could inquire at the desk about your accumulated charges. It was $2 a minute as was stated on the sticker on the phone. When I checked out, I noticed the phone charges were correct on the final bill, but they had also charged us for many of the items on the counter at our arrival (water, coffee, etc.). I already knew not to use these, so I told the nice man at the desk that no one used any of their items. I merely had to write on a piece of paper that we did not use them, and he credited the account. No hassle, but do check your final bill.

Stayed May 2007
10 Thank HikerPam
Gilbert, AZ
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Arizona 2007

My husband and I stayed at Sunset Beach 6-18-07 thru 6-25-07. Our stay was perfect.....we can not say enough good things about this place. Service was EXCELLENT from the time we checked in till the time we left. We also spent a day at the Pacifica which was very relaxing and the staff made us feel like we were the only people there. Service at his sister resport was also EXCELLENT. Would stay at either location again without any hesitation.

We took the free shuttle to the Rose a couple of times and walked the main streets looking at all the stuff.....enjoyed barganing with the vendors.

We have been to several differant places in Mexico but I think this was the nicest....may be back next year!

• Liked — Size of rooms.
  • Disliked — The only thing I did not like was the wind.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank TravelerGilbert_AZ
Manchester
Reviewed June 21, 2007

First time in Mexico. Staff were very friendly and helpful and got to know us over the 2 weeks. Food was very good in La Nao for breakfast and dinner. Enjoyed the Happy Hour(s) at the pools, and the pools are big enough to swim in, particularly higher in the resort.
Beach is good for walking and slight paddling, though potentially lethal pacific breakers prevent anyone from actually entering the sea... you can sometimes feel the power of them hitting the shore, half-way up the hill.
Don't mind walking up steep slopes and only used carts for check-in and check-out.
Shuttle and taxi into Cabo is OK, plus harbour-side eating in Cabo is good. (Good cigar store in cabo shopping mall too).
Rooms very clean and mini-bar serviced daily. Good choice of TV channels.
The only downsides I can recall were; a timeshare offer which was brushed-aside due to the long distance travel we'd have to do; the shop running out of postcard stamps ;o), people filling take-out boxes from the buffet to the extent of forming small pyramids on their tables, and people being unwilling to use their legs to cover microscopic distances around the resort.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family