“Really beautiful”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #24 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Hotel is stunning. The landscaping is incredibly maintained. The view is great but for an amzaing view, go to the Sky Pool at sunset andbring your camera. The employees are polite and helpful - everyone says hello. I stayed in a junior suite with kitchen. The room is huge and beautiful. It is kept spotless. I had a Swedish massage at the spa and it was great. There are 7 pools on the property so they never get crowded and there were always lounge chairs available. I stayed for a week and it was so relaxing. There were just a few negatives: the hotel is on a hill so they provide golf carts to drive you everywhere. The problem is that if you want to walk, there is no sidewalk so you have to walk along the same road that the golf carts travel on and they go a bit fast. Also, I foudn out on my last day that you cannot buy takeout food from their restaurants and bring it to the pool - you can only eat at the pool if it's from the pool menu. I got sandwiches from their restaurant and brought them to the pool and was told that I cannot eat them there. I refused to leave and they didn't pursue it but I don't think I should be harassed while on vacation. Also, the fitness center is not free - it's $15 per day per person! I've never been to Mexico before and my best advice would be to watch out for all the people trying to sell you a time share. This harassment starts at the airport and continues at the hotel. I got suckered into listening to a 90 minute presentation at the hotel but I think it was worth it; I received a free breakfast, 2 free alcoholic drinks, a $200 gift certificate for the hotel's restaurants and $60 off on a spa treatment.

1  Thank FinickyNewYorker
Write a ReviewReviews (9,910)

Reviewed August 11, 2010

The Pueblo Bonito Sunset is a gorgeous place and a super resort. This is why my husband and I bought a two bedroom presidential 7 years ago and have spent one week there w/ family and friends since (except for last years' Swine flu scare).
I do think however that the management team should evaluate the source of your towel supply for the seven pools there at all times. No guest should have to wait over 1 hour for a towel at any pool at any time which is what we did at the Sky Pool with a number of other guest did during this stay.

Elvira, the towel attendant at the Sky Pool came off as a 'towel nazi' because of her limited English skills. If she had a better command of English she could have appeased some pretty angry guest. I myself was so ticked off that I called housekeeping at the pool and complained. Perhaps this is why some of the other negative reviews state that the the Pueblo Bonito personnel come off rude to them. I think the staff is great and they work hard. Management however should place their personnel accordingly and should not let a poor employee jeopardize the good relationship between the clientèle and your establishment.
You know that we come to Cabo to relax and have fun at your pools, since we can't enjoy the ocean there. You know you have to have a whole lot of towels to provide your guest. You know that you should never run out of towels ever. Many of your pools had used towels strewn and were not picked up in a mannerly pace to keep up the demand. There should be no excuses for this in the future. I love this place, I just don't want other guest to wait in the over 90 degree heat like we did and become unsatisfied.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank CART101
Reviewed August 9, 2010

This was my and my boyfriend’s first trip to Mexico and it was awesome, we stayed at Sunset resort for one week. The resort was beautiful and remote. It was further away from town than most other resorts. It took about 45 minutes on the shuttle bus to get to the resort from the airport, maybe about 30 minutes on taxi, so plan ahead. TIP: when you get off the plane get your luggage and leave the airport ASAP, if you linger you won’t be able to catch the shuttle buses and you’ll either have to take a taxi, private cab, or wait for the next shuttle (which can be over an hour). We took our time leaving the airport so all the shuttles had left, we decided to wait for the next shuttles which would come when the next plane landed, we waited for over an hour, which was fine since the cab ride to the resort is 80 to 100 dollars! There were lots of timeshare people just say you’re not interested. Since me and my boyfriend are not married they left us alone, but I think even married people can just say you’re not married and they won’t approach you (just make sure to hide those wedding bands).
Check in was a breeze, friendly service, we got a free drink on the house which you can use at any of their bars or restaurants. Again, there were time share people, we said we are not married, they didn’t bother us. The lobby is beautiful it’s like we traveled to Spain and it always smell like we’re at the spa when we walk into the lobby!!! I guess that’s what makes it a five star!
We got a one bedroom suite, which had a living room, partial kitchen (refrigerator, stove and microwave, we found that the full kitchen has an oven and dishwasher), and two bathrooms. One of the bathrooms had a soaking tub. Having two bathrooms was great, no fighting over the toilets! Also the toilettes that they provide you are from Bath and Body works so you don’t need to bring any at all. They have shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, bath bars and lotion. I have to admit that I did take some home with me because I know it’s good quality. The room was beautiful!! We had a terrace which we could watch the sunset every night. All rooms here are ocean view, but not all ocean view are created equal!!! Our was good not great because we were on the ground floor, so it would look better if you’re on the top floor.
This resort is huge so there will be golf carts to help you get around but we found that it might be quicker to just walk sometimes. You are on the side of a mountain so it’s pretty steep. Also when we went in May it was very hot each day but there was always lots of winds (due to the ocean waves) so it can get pretty chilly at night, I would bring a thin jacket or light sweater during the evenings.
We didn’t rent a car, which you can if you want, we took the hotel shuttles. You must go to the lobby to get a ticket to board the bus. The shuttle takes you to the sister resort Pueblo Bonito Rose Spa & Resort, which is right by the beach. The beach at Sunset is very rocky and the waves are very strong so you can’t even go inside the water. The beach at Rose is much smaller and calmer but you can go into the water. We would take the shuttle to Rose than catch a cab so it would be cheaper than taking it from Sunset. You can also take the locate buses when you’re in town, which is only 8 pesos a person! NOTE: get your money converted at Mexico; you’ll get a better exchange rate than in the States.
Since we had a kitchen we took the locate buses to Walmart and stocked up on food, water, and alcohol. Walmart is very close to Rose, just ask the security guards there and they will tell you which bus to take. We took a cab back to Sunset from Walmart which was about 20 US Dollars. We love having our own kitchen, we made dinner 3 times and went out to dinner 4 times, save a lot of money!! We also had breakfast and lunch in our room which saved us a lot of money.
There is also a convenience store on site if you don’t want to go to Walmart. It’s not as cheap as Walmart but the beer and liquor cost less than the restaurants on site. We loved their guacamole and salsa, which was only 45 to 50 pesos; we ate it every single day. Now we can’t eat guacamole and salsa at the States anymore because it’s just not as good.
We had dinner twice in the resort; we ate at the The Bistro and La Nao. The food at the Bistro was good and decently priced, it was casual dining and food was more American style. We went to La Nao when they had a seafood theme night, which you get a main course with a salad and dessert buffet bar. It was about 35 to 45 dollar a person depending on what entrée you got. Dinner was very good. TIP: One thing I learn was that you always have to order a beverage, even water, they don’t serve tap water. There will be a bottle of water on every table and it’s 45 pesos if you open it. This applies to all the restaurants that we went too.
Two other nights we went to restaurants in town. One was La Golonduna which serves the best pacific lobster, we had two lobster, tuna steak, steak, and spicy shrimp for 2 for about 100 US Dollars. This is located in walking distance from Rose Resort, so take the shuttle and walk there; you can ask the security guards at Rose which way to go. The other restaurant was called The Office, which is located on the beach, again take the shuttle to Rose and walk along the beach and you’ll find it. There will be lots of lights and live music. Food was decently priced and its delicious Mexican cuisine. Thanks to the shuttle we save on cab money!
The resort has several pools and we tried to visit every one. They all face the ocean so you’ll always get a gentle breeze. We loved the infinite pools which allow for great pictures. There are adult only pools so no screaming children, which is a plus if you want to just sun bathe and relax. We had drinks by the pool which are buy one get one free during certain hours. I love sushi but didn’t try their sushi because it was fairly expensive at 14 dollars a roll. The resort will accept cash or pesos, they display the current exchange rate at the lobby each morning.
You can also book your excursions at the guest relations they are very helpful. We recommend the Cabos Adventure Company; they do many different types of tours. We did scuba and zip lining which were extremely fun!! Bring lots of cash because you’re going to want to purchase your pictures! Don’t go snorkeling, the waves are so great that you won’t see much but sand.
All in all, our trip to Mexico was wonderful and couldn’t be better. It was relaxing and fun all mixed in one. The people who worked at Sunset resort are all very happy and cheerful. It doesn’t matter if you tip them or not they’ll all smile and greet you. If we visit Cabos again we would stay here again!!! No questions asked!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
7  Thank MYeung918
Reviewed August 9, 2010

If you're looking for a great resort with a lot of privacy and excellent customer service, please keep this place on your list. My girlfriend and I stayed for 6 nights and couldn't have had a better time. The first thing that we noticed when we arrived at the resort was how large it was. They have somewhere around 1000 units so this place is really quite in a league of their own. The second thing that we noticed was the privacy of the resort. No matter where we went, the beach, the pool, just around the property, we had total privacy. I guess we weren't old enough to sign up for their timeshare pitches so thankfully no one kept bugging us about it.
Since you can't swim on the beach being on the Pacific side we had to go to the pool if we wanted to get in any water which was totally fine. The pools at the resort are spotless. They were easily the cleanest pools I have ever seen. Just to add the point of how clean they were, each day there was an employee taking samples of the pool and testing to see how clean the water was, we thought that was great.
The only thing we really didn't like about the resort was it was a little far away from town. We didn't really go out because we didn't want to have to take a cab everywhere, but this was just a minor thing. What made up for it was the restaurants they had at the resort. Our favorite was La Nao. They had theme nights at La Nao as far as what type of food they were serving that evening. Remember, if you are going to eat at the restaurants, go ahead and make a reservation. That is the best bet to make sure you get a table. El Bistro is a good spot as well if you're looking for a good lunch spot for the day, and it overlooks the beach so it has a great view to it.
As far as Do's and Dont's are concerned, there aren't many I can list that haven't already been said. The biggest thing that I would recommend against is taking a cab into town every day. Though we didn't rent a car, I spoke to several guests that sounded like they received a pretty good deal at the Avis counter in the lobby. The resort also offers a shuttle bus to their sister resort Pueblo Bonito Rose which is in town and is only about a 15 minute ride and is free. Make sure you get a ticket before you get on the bus, they get full quickly. Definitely go up to the Sky Pool while you are there, the views from the pool are spectacular. Order room service at least one night, one of our best meals the entire week came from room service and was actually faster than some of the restaurants we ate at during the week. I would recommend the against the spa. If you have ever had a professional massage here in the States, you know about what they are worth. When I asked for the prices of the 50 minute Sports Massage, I was blown away with how much it costs. It you look up the prices online, remember that there is a %23 tax on the amount listed and does not include tip. After this, you would pay almost $200 for not even an hour massage.
All in all, this is easily the best resort I have ever stayed at. The cleanliness is amazing, and the entire staff from top to bottom is all about customer service. If you are planning a trip here, definitely keep this place in mind. They have a great reputation around the Los Cabos area and really put your satisfaction first.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sheasley84
Reviewed August 7, 2010

This is our fifth visit to Sunset Beach. We are owners, but don't hold that against us! Every time we fly into Cabo, I fall for the same trick at the airport with the guys that come up to you telling them they are from your hotel. In other Mexican airports, they have to stay behind a red line. I don't know why in Cabo they don't enforce it. But we did arrange our travel with the resort (on line) for $17 per person with Cape Travel. They were waiting for us, and we squeezed into the van with another family and couple, also going to Sunset Beach. We asked the driver to stop for beers, and he took us to the Corona Factory on the way, and we each bought a six pack, that we just about finished on the drive to sunset beach. (the driver had an opener, of course).

Check in was easy. This trip, they actually offered us a choice of rooms. We own a presidential, which is a 2 bedroom, 2 bath. Since we stayed near the beach last time, we wanted a room as high up as we could get. They put us in room 2192, which is the top floor of the highest (and newer) buildings. The upper buildings all have jacuzzi tubs on the balconies, which we also knew, and that is really a bonus. At that height, you have fantastic views, but you can still hear the surf at night.

They present you with free drink coupons upon check in, that steers you to the "owner's update lunch". We declined this time, and they didn't bat an eye. No pressure whatsoever.

On the van ride, one of the guests told us about "whereincabos.com" which is a company that will deliver groceries to you. You go to their website download an excel spreadsheet, fill in the quantity, calculate the price, and let them know when to deliver. This couple had it delivered that day, which means they didn't have to waste a half day shopping. We tried it, and they delivered the next day, right on the dot to when they said they would be there. They charge $20 to deliver, but the taxi from Walmart is about $15 so I thought it was a good deal. We bought not enough water and too much beer!

Sunday brunch at La Nao is $50 each, but quite indulgent. They have an omelet station, sushi, and just about anything you want, but the real treat are the deserts. They must have 30 different types of cakes, and the tres leches is to die for.

They do have free wireless near the lobby and at the pools. I could just about get access from our room, if I hung over the balcony (we were above the lobby). I would be willing to pay for room wireless if it was offered, but this kept me off the computer and away from work most of the day, so maybe it is a good thing.

We love the Sky Pool. It gets rowdy and crowded, especially around happy hour (4-5). Great service, strong drinks (may have something to do with the rowdy), and killer carne asada nachos.

We love the Staff; very helpful, always friendly. The golf cart guys go the extra mile to be accommodating. Maids are great and went the extra mile in cleaning, as well as accommodating your schedule. On check-in, you can tell them a specific time to have them clean your room.

The added bonus is the multi-resort access: Read my review of the Pacifica. You have access to this boutique hotel and it is well worth a day. They also have a free luxury bus to and from the Rose and Blanco resorts right on the beach downtown. But you need to sign up for a ticket in person to get a ride, and they fill up fast. But a taxi is only $12 for 4 people.

Our only disappointment was Le Bistro restaurant: We used to really like Le Bistro but it seems to have gone down in food quality. I ordered the "Spicy Roasted Chicken" for about $20. It came with a small leg and thigh, and the the bottom quarter of a chicken breast. It was dry and tasteless. My wife ordered the crab louis salad, that was wilted and soggy. The good news is we didn't mind spending the $20 round trip to take a cab to town for really nice dinners that with the cab ride, ended up being less expensive.

But really, you can't go wrong with this luxury resort. We are already planning our return!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank jeffonthebeach
Reviewed August 6, 2010

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon to Cabo San Lucas and stayed at the Pueblo Bonito at Sunset Beach. We arrived in awe of the beauty.

This resort is by far the most beautiful and relaxing resort in the cabo san lucas area. We went looking for relaxation after so much chaos and stress in our lives and left with everything we had hoped to get! Every room in the resort is overlooking the ocean and beach. This is a no swimming beach which means when you walk out to sit on your patio in the morning or evening you are looking at a beautiful peaceful beach! The staff goes out of their way to make sure you are happy. All speak english some more than others. Everywhere you go and look there is a staff member cleaning, repairing, painting, helping guests, they are always there. We felt very safe walking around at all times of the day in this resort.

My views/tips/advice:
1. Restaurants are over priced. We were recommended to LaNao for the asian night and after an $85 bill for a buffett we were VERY DISAPOINTED. This was not any asian food we have ever eaten, and we love asian food. It was way too overpriced for a buffet and horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!
AnotherRestaurant we were recommended to by the concierge was Lorenzillos which is a seafood restaurant. It was alright food, but WAY TO OVERPRICED. For just us two we spent $200 on dinner and we only had crab cakes, lobster, shrimp, and a steak. There are so many other restaurants that serve seafood that was either the same quality or better for a much better price! Do not go here! We thought we would try because it is talked up so highly and we were disapointed in our decision all week, and were $200 broker! All the restaurants in the downtown area and in the marina all pretty much serve the same food. Check the menus before you go in.
La Golandrena is downtown near the sister resort and was one of our favorite places to eat. We didnt find it until our last night and wish we had known about it earlier. They have seafood, and mexican. It is all outside seating under beautiful trees, romantic lighting, and great service. There is so much to choose from!!!!!! I recommend this!

2. The resort is the furthest resort from the downtown tourist area. If you want to eat at local restaurants off of the resort you either have to take the free shuttle to the sister resort and walk quite a ways into town or take a taxi which they all charge about $10-$15 one way. We only went into town twice because it was just getting too expenive for taxi and tips. We figured for the price of dinner at the bistro would be cheaper than paying for dinner in town plus $20-$40 for travel & tips. We enjoyed the bistro, good food and great service!

3. We went to walmart and got cereal, milk, bread, lunch items, and drinks. There is plenty in the kitchen for you to stock up more to not only eat your breakfast, lunches in your room, but to also cook a few dinners if you wish! We wish we would have gotten a few more things for dinner. This would have helped save some. We thought going to Mexico we would be eating cheaply but we thought wrong. Everything was soo much more expensive than we thought.

4. Sunset beach is a no swim beach which makes for a very peaceful place to vacation. They have a free shuttle that takes you to the sister resort if you want to go to the beach. We spent three days at the beach and had a lot of fun here. There are stations all along the beach for you to set up excursions if you wish. These can also be scheduled at your resort. There are LOTS of peddlers at the beach but are restricted to stay on one side of a rope. If you just ignore them they keep on walking. We stayed in the back row which was furthest from the rope so we werent pestered.

5. Pools at the sunset are so peaceful. The sky pool was one of our favorites. Happy hour is really only one hour from 4-5 and all drinks are BYGO. No music is played at the pools. 4 out of 5 pools have a swim up bar. We were told we could bring our own drinks to the pool so we bought extra beer to drink while there, but we were told once at the pool we couldnt have the cooler with drinks there. I think you just have to be careful and watch what you bring to the pools with you.

6. We did a snorkel tour was with Cabo Escape. We left at 11 and came back around 3. We were told this would be from 11-4 and we would be snorkeling for an hour and a half. They overbooked the tour and had to split the boat into groups. We only got to snorkel for 25 minutes and were disapointed in chilleno bay. The water was dirty that day but we only saw two different types of fish and didnt have enough time to even get to explore the whole bay. I would recommend making sure there are no more than 80 on your tour as that is the maximum number they can allow to snorkel at a time. Other than that we had fun, water felt great. They let us do some boat jumping from the top level, and open bar the whole time. Price was about $40 p/p, also includes a sandwhich, guac/chips lunch.

7. They charge $1 a day for their foundation and dont remind you at checkout. If you dont want to pay this you have to tell them at checkout.

8. We had set up for the resort to pick us up at the airport and once we left customs we were asking where to go to meet our transportation. They handed us off from one person to the next trying to sell us a timeshare. It was just rediculous. After traveling all day internationally the last time we wanted to do was deal with these people. They act like they will show you who your ride is and take you to a person who is trying to sell you a timeshare, when you say no to him he acts like he is showing you where you need to go. When in fact your going to another time share person. My advice is to not stop and talk to anybody until you get outside. The shuttles cant meet you inside and are all waiting outside for you. Keep on walking!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My overall opinion is this place is beautiful, relaxing, safe, and quiet. We never felt pressured to buy into a timeshare the whole time we were there, they actually never even asked us. We didnt buy, but cant wait to visit in 5 years; as that is the time limit for you to visit again if you do not own with them!

4  Thank apainter
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Let me start by saying wowwww. What a gorgeous resort. When I booked this resort I was a bit skeptical becuase of the reviews I read on here but once I got there I had the best experience.

The rooms are nice the property is simply beautiful. It is called sunset beach becuase it is the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen in my entire life. We checked in on a very busy saturday but we were given our room as promised at 4pm and we went up and loved the view. We were in Building 22 on the 8th floor and the views were spectacular.

The property itself is gigantic. They have gold carts that seat 7 people come and pick you up to go to the lobby or to any of the pools. We really enjoyed that part of the trip and truly loved the golf carts and the views that you would be able to see in the open air riding down to the bottom.

The only downside was that is was about 15 minutes from the Marina where everything was as far as water activies. The other thing was that you cannot swim on the beach becuase the waves are extremly rough. They have a shuttle that goes to thier sister hotel the Rose every hour and you can swim on that beach and that is only 5 minutes from the marina. The taxi would charge 12 dollars from sunset beach to the Marina and 6 dollars from the Rose to the marina so we normally just took the shuttle to rose and then a cab to the marina. It was all very safe and very quick. No waiting for taxi etc.

The food was mediocre at the hotel but it was better compared to what we ate on the marina so we stuck to the resort food. It was good but just not awesome.

The skypool was the most amazing at night. We could see all the stars and were amazed at the amount of people that were out swimming so late.

The resort is very safe and they are super tight about letting people in from the ouside. There were little kids running around catching golf carts it was so safe.

All in all this was the most beautiful resort I have stayed at and I would reccommend to stay here. It is truly a above 5 star experience.

5  Thank VacaPrincess82