“Awesome vacation”

Ranked #26 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
NJ
“Awesome vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2007

This was our third time at Sunset and we look forward to going many more times. The resort is absolutely beautiful, and with 6 pools, you can easily find a place for action or relaxation. We have only been asked once on each visit if we wanted to listen to the time share speech, and once we said no, we were not bothered again. The food is very good, and being able to use the sister facilities downtown also added a change of scenery. We were never bothered by the carts--I find it amusing that someone would find it okay to walk to restaurants downtown but won't walk to their room in their own resort! All 3 times I visited this resort I never heard anyone complain about the golfcarts-they have always been very prompt and couteous drivers. If you stayed in the homes at Montecristo, it is a pain, but within the lower resort the views are lovely and walking is not a big deal. I should mention I had 5 young children vacationing with us and none of them complained about walking, or the golfcarts! I would highly recommend this resort --it is very different from your average hotel scene and had a variety of ages groups visiting, too.

• Liked — scenery
  • Disliked — away from everything else
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank CaboloverNJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,488)
  • Korean first
Idaho
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2007

We would never stay at this Hotel ever again... I read every review trying to find the right hotel in Cabo and picked the SB and it was a mistake.

We arrived on a Friday and check-in went well. We gave a small incentive to the check-in person and got a room in the 20-- building near the sky pool and everything seemed fine. The view was spectacular. The hotel was beautiful. We will give credit where it is due. Overall, the hotel is nice.. But.....

The golf carts are a disaster. I will never, ever, ever, put myself or my wife in a position where we have to wait, and wait, and wait, for a golf cart to bring us around the resort. The idea is good but execution is flawed. We would call for a cart and watch it pick up someone on the trail, turn around, and then go the other direction. Walking from top to bottom is virtually impossible. We called for a cart at 1:00 in the morning after a night out and HAD TO WAIT FOR 30+++ MINUTES to get to our room!!! Never again...

The carts are a disaster. I will strongly, strongly, suggest that unless you are the most patient person in the world. DO NOT STAY HERE. Every complaint we heard from other guests were the same, the carts are a joke!

So, other than the carts here is the rest of my review.

SKYPOOL is very, very nice. The view is incredible. The buffet was a 6 out of 10. It was good, but not spectacular.

SPA. We booked (2) different days at the spa and they were great. It was very expensive $200 for 50 min the first time and $280 for 80 min the second time. This was for a couples massage and we felt it was worth it. The massagers were excellent.

FLOOD- Another major disappointment was the way the hotel handled a flood in our room from the room above us. After breakfast and a visit to the pool we came back to our room and it was flooded apparently due to a broken pipe from the rooms above us. They were aware of the problem as housekeeping was there and covered our clothes and moved the mattress and opened the windows. I would have expected they would have sent a manager to our room immediately. Instead, we had to call the front desk. 2 times, 3 times, 4 times, and then approx 1 hours 15 minutes later a bell boy came to our room to move us. They did move us and offer free dinner. Not what I would expect from a high quality hotel.

ROOMS- The 2000 building was incredible. The view was great and we could not hear any noise. After the flood we got moved to the 900 building. IT WAS HORRIBLE. The view was not nearly as good as it was way lower. The other major problem was that it was close to the main pool and we could hear kids, people, carts, and a bunch of noise.

FINAL NOTE. I would never stay at this hotel ever, ever, again. The hotel was beautiful but the carts were a joke. Maybe try the Pacifica as they don't have the carts. We are a younger couple, in shape, and it was still a disaster. I don't care how nice a place is, if I have to wait 10,20, or 30 minutes to get to my room when I want to get there, I will never put up with it again.

Also, If you want action, stay in the town of CABO. If we were to ever stay again we would stay downtown where we can walk to restaurants etc. Having to take a cab every time is definitely an inconvenience.

• Liked — The view was great
  • Disliked — Golf Carts
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank bigsteel
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2007

This is a perfect place for a destination wedding! Laura the wedding/special events director for the Pueblo Bonito resorts was extremely accomodating. We had some guests that could not make it due to a death in the family and they were willing to give us a credit, even a week before we were arriving. The staff, especially Ignacio the banquet manager, was wonderful. We could not have asked for better service--no drink glass went empty unless one did not want it filled. And the food was outstanding, not just by wedding standards, but by any other.

Also, we suggest the a sunset wedding on the La Nao Terrace: it overlooks the Pacific Ocean and has a spectacular view!

Diana Zic and Jeremy Weddle

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Location was far from Cabo San Lucas and Jose Del Cabo
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
9 Thank jerwed
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2007

Our family of five just returned from Sunset last night. We had an amazing vacation. We have now visited 5 of the Pueblo Bonita resorts and vacationed at two of them. Each one is exceptionally clean, well run and beautiful. In my humble opinion, Sunset is the most amazing. Here is a brief summary of each resort followed by the highlights at Sunset.

Emerald Bay. We have stayed at Emerald Bay twice. It is lovely. The pool is huge and fun for the kids. The grounds are thick with flowers and wildlife. The hotel is located out of town, away from the hotel zone. We appreciated this. If you love the beach craziness and the nightlife, you will prefer P.B.Mazatlan. The staff, like the staff at all of the resorts, are kind and accommodating. There are many activities to keep the kids busy. The food by the pool is great. This resort is perfectly suited for large gatherings as there is a central location (pool area) and the restaurants are rarely full. Large groups with children are made to feel welcome and comfortable everywhere here. The rooms are large and lovely. (Not as nice and large, however, as Sunset)

P.B.Mazatlan. We had dinner at Cilantro's, located at Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan on both of our visits. The hotel is older, smaller and darker. The pool is adequate. The hotel is positioned between two other hotels. The restaurant was our favorite. If you love the town of Mazatlan and want to be a part of the Mexican beach scene, this hotel will be a better fit for you than the quieter Emerald Bay.

Rose. We visited the Rose for breakfast and stayed to swim and explore. I liked the Rose better than Blanco. It reminded us of an old grand Florida hotel. The very large pool is located in the middle of the pink horseshoe shaped hotel. The lobby is lovely, the interior bright and cheerful like Emerald Bay. The restaurant sits right on the ocean and the place is alive with kids and activity. The beach is busy with volleyball, boat rides, parasailing, etc. If you are looking for traditional spring break action, this is the place to stay. It is an easy walk into town.

Blanco. The Blanco reminded me of P.B.Mazatlan. It is much smaller and the pool, much quieter. We had lunch here and after talking to people around the pool, I get the feeling people stay here to get away from the college scene. The lobby of this hotel is not nearly as grand or pretty as any of the other lobbies. Like all P.B. hotels, it was clean and the service was great.

Sunset. The Sunset is something to behold. It is literally built right into the hilltops. Our room was on the top floor of the highest building and the first time up to our room, my son and I had to hold hands and close our eyes as we made our way up in the golf cart. It was like a roller coaster ride. Surprisingly, after a few hours you acclimate and the height doesn't seem scary or unusual. We felt like eagles in a nest. Our room was very large. Larger than the rooms at Emerald Bay. We stayed in an executive suite. The executive suite has two very large bathrooms with beautiful showers, separate toilets, double vanities. The Master bathroom has a large tub with wooden blinds that can open to a view of the ocean. The main room has a small kitchen, a living area, a table with seating for five. The deck is accessible from the living room and the master bedroom. The deck has lounge chairs, as well as two regular chairs and a small table. We spent hours here. The master bedroom has two full beds - very comfortable! We visited a master suite. It also has two bathrooms. One bathroom does not have a shower. It does not have a kitchen. It has an even larger deck with a table and chairs, as well as lounge chairs. The master suite is the room you will get if you book through websites. The rooms with the kitchens (executive and presidential suites) are owner rooms available only when the hotel is less occupied or when you rent from an owner. I would recommend getting your room through an owner. The 3 buildings that house the hotel's master suites are located closer to the beach, next to the tennis courts and a quiet pool.

We also saw the presidential suite. This is ideal for a group larger than four. There are two big bedrooms, a very large kitchen, a dining area, living area and large porch. The suite was beautiful. Many of the presidential suites also have their own jacuzzi located on the balcony. Each room at Sunset looks out to the ocean and the view is beautiful. The beach is very clean and the ocean waves are enormous! We walked the beach daily and saw seals and homes to movie stars (no movie star sightings, however).

We felt very much like we were in Greece as we walked up and down the hills. There are always carts on hand, but we liked the exercise and the sights. The hotel has 6 pools, each with a bar - most with a hot tub. The sky pool, at the top of the resort, is breathtaking. We watched whales before sunset. The work out room is terrific. The lobby the most beautiful of the P.B. resorts. There is a small church located near the lobby that we visited in the morning. A great way to start the day. The spa was terrific. I had an amazing massage! The food was good. We liked the food at Cilantro's in Mazatlan and the food at the Emerald Bay pool-side a little better. We had fun at La Casa Country in town where my husband and I were coaxed into dressing in Mexican dresses (my husband) and doing a Mexican hat dance. Our kids thought this was pretty funny. We won a bottle of taquila. The restaurant had the best guacamole we have ever had! We also enjoyed Mi Casa. The outdoor setting was great, the food good. We had ice-cream at the marina in town. Make sure to visit the marina. The town of Cabo is very clean, safe and pretty. We were surprised to see so many nice restaurants and shops. Everyone who owns here has a deep allegiance to the hotel, people and resort which says much for its consistency.

As far as timeshare reps. I have to laugh when I read the silly entries of harassment. Just say no. The first time we visited P.B., we were asked at check - in and we said "no, we are not at all interested." We were not asked again. The second visit, we were never approached. At Sunset, we were approached several times. Each time we simply said, "No, thank you." My daughter wondered why people did not simply say they were already owners. Is being asked to take a tour a few times over a week such a hardship. Just firmly say, "no." The end.

On this last trip, we did take a tour and the guide was very polite and respectful. After the tour, we told him we would need much more time to make such a big decision and he accepted our answer and gave us his card. We received $300.00 in vouchers for two hours of our time.

Visit the Sunset. You will love it!

• Liked — The views, sky pool, ocean
  • Disliked — The prices of water in the room and deli
20 Thank threekidsplustwo
Killeen, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2007

I loved the Pueblo Bonito hotels. I did not stay at a hotel, rather my family rented villas in Pedregal. However, I worked with a wonderful team with Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach as far as arranging my wedding. I did not see the hotel or the wedding site prior to the actual trip and let me tell you, the pictures on this website do not do it justice. As you drive in you come up and over the hill, the views are absolutely breathtaking. The way the hotel cascades down the mountainside is absolutely stunning. My maid of honor and I enjoyed a morning of yoga on the beach at the holistic spa and retreat and I was actually able to see a whale breaching. It was amazing. Later we celebrated my wedding under the gazebo right on the sand. It was great to hear the waves crashing and look out into the endless beauty as my dad walked me down the isle. We had a wonderful photographer and videographer and the pictures and dvd will help us treasure the amazing memories forever. It was hard to leave, but I know my new husband and I have every intention of returning whenever possible. I highly recommend this place for anyone with an upcoming wedding. I worked with Laura Ortiz, the wedding planner and Monserat for the supervising of the ceremony. Ignacio designed a beautiful dinner and had wonderful staff. Victor was a new videographer for the hotel and he did an amazing job. The wedding was more than I ever could have imagined in my dreams and tens of thousands cheaper than if it had occurred in the states.

• Liked — The scenery
  • Disliked — If you are not staying at the hotel the service is pretty poor
9 Thank dreamer89
Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2007

Our trip was a roller coaster trip from the moment we stepped off of the plane. We have friends whose family own a time share at Pueblo Bonito on sunset beach and were invited for our birthday's to go for spirng break. On the day we arrived we were told that we would be attending a 90 min. "tour" and would recieve $200 off of our food bill. Not knowing that we could say no we said ok, and made our appt. for the next day.

While at breakfast on our second day a lady came to our table twice to get 20$ from us and then informed me that since I was not married to my boyfriend I would have to show my credit card when we got to the "tour". This is when my trepidation really started to kick in. When we got back to our room, the friends we went with informed us that the front desk had call 3 times to see if we were all going to the "tour". Really strated to feel harrassed by these people. The "tour" lasted for 31/2 hours!! they really did not want to here no for our answer. We told our tour guide several times that we really only came because we thought it was required. They kept changing sales people to offer us different plans. Finally when we were so tired of sitting in those very uncomfortably chairs, we told the last sales man from scottland that we really only came here because we were invited by friends, and did not have any intention of buying any timeshares. Funny how the tone of someones voice changes and becomes just a little insulting. We were told that it was ok..not everybody has the same taste..some people (like us) are the motel 6 type.

At this point I just wanted to go home. We had 3 more days here.
This place is NOT a five star resort..I have stayed at other 5 star resorts and believe me they are worth every penny. This stay was free for us and I feel like I should be paid for having to endure that trip.

When we finally checke out that was a nightmare as well. We paid 60 dollars for a private taxi and then were put in the wrong line by the employees. The employees were very rude. My friend was insuled at the spa and their bill was overcharged by $20. By this point we didn't care we just wanted to leave.

The only good things I have to say about this place is that it is very beautiful. The town of Cabo San Lucas is a lovely town and if we go back we wil definitely be going to another hotel. Also the wale watching tour was great. We saw several families of wales and had a great morning doing that.

• Liked — Leaving them
  • Disliked — The sales people that harrassed me on my vacation
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank adventuretourists
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2007

I am a long-time trip advisor reader/contributor and read every review on this property prior to visiting. I will summarize my experience versus some other reviews. We had a great stay overall and will give you problems and pluses/minuses.
I traveled with my mother and sister for a "long weekend" (Thurs-Mon) stay. We had a Jr Exec. Suite, # 1941, building 19, 4th floor, room 1. First, arrival at the airport...yes, bypass the "indoor" travel reps. ie. time share reps in disguise and go outside to find your transportation.

Problem # 1: My sister arranged transport via internet with the hotel for CAPE Travel (who the resort used) and never received a confirmation number via email (over several days). She called the hotel several times and was told, "no problem", you'll get your confirmation #. Well, you can see it coming, no confirmation # and when we walked outside Cape Travel told us we were not on the list and therefore, no ride. We got a taxi shuttle for 56$ for 3 one-way. It took about an hour to get to our hotel but we got to see other places where we definately didn't want to stay. DIdn't use them but will do Grey Line next time.

Plus #1: The resort is beyond downtown (on the Pacific) and is "away from it all". It is simply gorgeous! The check-in was no problem, although our desk guy cheated us out a drink voucher which the "welcome" desk told us to go back to get.
Plus #2: If you do not have A MAN with you, you will not be approached for the time share pitch. We almost had to ask about it and then decided not to do it...lost out on the free stuff but kept our 90 minutes.

Bottom line on "carts": If you are not fit, (I am 41 and walk a few miles everyday and did fine but got winded on hills, bluffs) you will want to take them. They are gas powered vehicles and can be scary if you are walking with them on the roads. There are "hidden" pedestrian stairways/walkways that are great! Thanks to the other Trip Advisor reports for mentioning them.
Problem # 2/Plus # 3: Carts are necessary if you are not fit but are timely and plentiful and would probably be loud if you are on lower levels. Plus, HIDDEN PATHS are great and give you a chance to check out the other buildings. There is one that goes from the building below ours (19, the top bldg) around the eastern side and around the upper pool down to the lower bldgs. You still have a little "road time" but not much.

Plus # 4: The suite. It was beautifully decorated. The setup of a bedroom w/ sitting area and bath, large living room, kitchen (full), and 2nd bath was just right for us. The bed was comfortable.

Minus # 1: The "sofa couch" is a slide out couch bottom (like a futon) that is "very firm".
Minus # 2: The rest of the furniture is also rather uncomfortable. I discounted this in other reviews but they mention it for a reason. And yes, they use Neutrogena. The louvered paneled doors do not afford much privacy anywhere in the suite.
Problem: Beware the plant "watering" at dusk. It smells of raw sewage (and probably is) and one woman on a cart got "sprayed " by it as it cascaded down the bank and the cart drove by (sit away from the plant side on carts at dusk).
Plus # 4: Our balcony was an "end" balcony that afforded a great view of the sunsets and whales (take binoculars). The top building had a great view and was closer to the Sky Pool.
Minus #3: There is very little privacy on the balconies. Pray that your neighbor isn't loud, is usually out and desn't smoke cigars and cigarettes like our did. We looked right down on the hot tub below us (I mean right down-could've handed them a towel).

Plus # 5: The deli was fine and not that expensive for Mx. Has cereal, yogurt, frozen foods, deli things, desserts, beer , wine and liquor.

Minus # 4: If you want the pool cabanas, yes, go early. But, chairs are numerous and even with umbrellas which I prefer. The main pool is great and always fairly crowded but w/ good service from "Aqua Bar". We also saw a whale about 30 ft off shore one day from our pool chair. Never figured out the happy hour deal at the pools. The water is almost hot, even in early March.

PLUS: The beach is lovely. No you can't get in water unless you have a death wish. It is very deserted and like having your own stretch of beach (and no vendors). You cannot walk to Pacifico )which is just to the west) because you cannot pass in front of the resort owner's private estate. Yes, there are "guards" to make sure and ensure your "safety" from crossing the rocks there.

PROBLEM: The maid service does charge you for servicio (mini bar items) even though you don't use them. Go to front desk (no matter what anyone tells you) and fill out a form disputing the amount. DO NOT CHECK OUT WITHOUT SCRUTINIZING BILL AND SAVE EVERY RECEIPT. Also, use the room charge everywhere and know that the gratuity is already added in. Yes, I thought the previous notes were from cheap, paranoid Americans...I guess, not so much. Also, anytime someone says "no problem", know that it's Mexico and they are just trying to get you to leave them alone (and yes, I speak a little Spanish and we still would get this very nice brush off).

PROBLEM: Allow a lot of tme for your shuttle (reserve days in advance through concierge) trip to airport or don't be cheap and hire a car.

Must see at resort: Balcony at night, with bar service on back of lobby. The cigar bar is just beautiful but we don't smoke and it looked closed but you must at least peak in.
Know that the interesting classes cooking, yoga, pilates are very expensive.

RESTAURANTS: DON'T MISS La Nao Sunday Champagne Brunch (but don't expect much seafood). It was wonderful and I lived in Vegas for 4 yrs ( I know my buffets)! Room service was great one night and mediocre the next time. Shrimp was disappointing, the pizza surprisingly good, especially w/ refried beans as topping.
La Gollorindrina: lovely setting, go hungry. Note: If you are not with a male or very large group DO NOT take the shuttle to Rose' and walk to this restaurant or anywhere at night from the Rose'. We were very harrassed by the locals. Taxis 10-12 $ US without tip, any # of people to downtown.
Alexander's (on the marina): Excellent, we were sad we didn't try the Tequilla Shrimp
Amarone's (back of mall on marina waterfront): The best meal! The best ambiance, sit outside by fountains. True Italian w/ fresh seafood, large portions. Inside is very upscale/stylish. Local favorite.

WHALE WATCHING: We did Pez Gato, a large catamarran with tent for shade and not bad for a boat "head". Nice sail out and respectable distance from whales (unlike the Panga boats). Very cheesy, LOUD music after the whales and Tostitos (literally, I saw the bag) and guacomole after. They cruise by the P.B. Sunset and close to Land's End. Two crewmen were rude, two were nice. Overall, we saw lots of whales, fairly close...that's why you go.
Overall, beautiful! would stay there again without hesitation! Most of the staff were friendly and wonderful. Cart drivers were great. Good luck!

• Liked — location
21 Thank withoutscreenname