“Great Place ..can't wait to get back”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #23 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed May 28, 2010

We were invited by friends and had a wonderful time..the staff was friendly and I enjoyed the Pacific side of Cabo...can't wait to go back

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank KatnD
Write a ReviewReviews (9,917)

Reviewed May 25, 2010

The check in didn’t go so well. I’m not sure if its because it was around check in time when we arrived or also because from what I’ve heard from other visitors the check in/out machine they have wasn’t working so everybody has to go through the front desk. As soon as we got our room key, we were handed two vouchers for drinks that needed to be stamped by the “ladies in the corner” to be valid. These are the people offering the timeshare presentation. We are owners already and so it was an owner’s lunch for us where we will be given a $50 dinner certificate.
I have requested a room with internet access when I made my reservation, and so they have assigned us in Bldg.20. We just picked up a cable from the concierge to use with our laptop. I have mentioned also that I would be celebrating my birthday on this trip, so a bottle of champagne and fruits were in the room . We had one bedroom and two baths with full kitchen and living room. There’s only 2 of us so we didn’t even touch the other bathroom. We did some grocery shopping on our second day and so all of our breakfast was cooked in the kitchen. That saved us a lot of $$$. The only thing that could use some improvement in the room was the couch. Good thing we don’t have any family or friends with us who would be using that as their bed. Bldg 19 and 20 is just one building, half is numbered 19 and other half as 20. Very short walk to the Sky Pool.
The whole resort has I think 3 sets of pool (or maybe more). But each set has 3 pools and a jacuzzi. Pools never get crowded. It’s open til 10pm but mostly by 6pm it would be empty. Restrooms are everywhere, you’ll never have to walk far to find one. Golf carts never bothered us. Never have to wait more than 5 minutes to get one. And if you feel like walking at least going down the hill you’ll find interesting things. They have areas where they have birds, fish, or maybe meet the employees who are all very nice and courteous. The lobby areas have nice seatings, everywhere you sit has a nice view of the ocean.
The food was great as well. For me it was well priced for this kind of resort.We had room service twice for late night snacks. We had pizza and other night we have their cheeseburger. If you’re not too hungry and just want to satisfy your tastebuds, these would hit the spot. The pizza was enough for two and that was just $9.00. It’s not like the kind with all the toppings you like but there’s choices. We ate at the Bistro three times and that was actually good as well. They always serve bread and some breadsticks, different kind each time we were there. You need to try their stuffed jalapeno and chicken teriyaki udon (makes my mouth water while thinking about it again).And one night we ate at La Nao for fine dining. This is where we used our $50dinner certificate as we know we would spend more. It was Prime Rib Night (includes Lobster bisque,dessert and coffee with tequila) all for $46. It was one of the best prime rib I ever had. Very juicy and it’s cut right infront of you. The coffee with tequila was also prepared infront of us.
We take the shuttle going to Pueblo Rose to visit the resort and everytime we want to walk around downtown or go to Marina. It’s easy to get a ticket even 15 minutes before the shuttle arrives. Maybe it’s not that busy at this time and I could imagine having to book hours ahead when it gets crowded. Some people can still not follow rules and won’t get tickets for the shuttle, they have to wait until everybody boards, and when there are extra seats, that’s the only time they would let you in. Sometimes only 1 seat becomes available. So it’s better to save your seat if you can. I honestly still prefer to stay in Sunset than in Rose even if the location of Rose is better. I’m not too much of a beach swimmer so I don’t mind not being there every single day. The beach wasn’t swimmable on some days as the waves were really high. Vendors are everywhere. One time we ate at Medano Beach Club (Excellent seafood), I probably said no every 5 minutes. They’re not very pushy but they are everywhere.
I haven’t really seen too many resort or hotels in Cabo, so I don’t have anything to compare it with. But when I mention to people that we stay at Sunset Beach, they all say how beautiful the resort is. One couple who’s been going to Cabo every year took the presentation during this trip, said they never knew such place even exists and is even considering switching their timeshare. Although I started getting homesick after a week stay missing the family we left home, I was sure sad having to leave this small piece of paradise. I promise to be back soon! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

8  Thank darktania
Reviewed May 24, 2010

We went on vacation may 11 to may 18 checked in beautiful hotel... our room spectacular, up until saturday we got back from pool got ready for dinner i called to check on my daughter.... set iphone on counter maid had already came earlier , i had been keeping it in safe. Came back from dinner approx 11pm from town to find my phone was gone. My husband open safe to double check , but i knew where i had set it...i called security and manager they came .looked around etc . check card swipe at door to see who entered we had do not disturb light on....went through two managers while they did investigation.. JOkE As my husband did his own. to find out that no one came through our front door only out of it with foot print left exiting my husband spilt 7 up on way to dinner . The person had came up a side maintainance ladder up on roof and footprints on ladder and roof that matched the one at front door though our balcony where there were pry marks on balcony door...... mind you three security checks to get to hotel.. so obviously an employee as you call out room number to greet golf cart pick up...has your room number to know its vacant.. As to the day we left still investigating i heard that everyday no compensation because we had no proof i was told by alfredo asst manager..... i am still livid that your room isnt safe .. If they came in the front door or the balcony slider who cares how they got through , These units are not safe for anyone pueblo bonito sunset security is none- existiant... iam sure still investigating JOKE.......Tried not to let this ruin our trip and it didnt but people your belongings arent safe at this place...i even read on safe that if its stolen hotels only respondsible for up to 300 dollars you can keep belongings at front desk ... JOKE ...Managers hows the investigation going??????? Find my iphone with its louis vitton cover yet?????? Oh on the day we left still Investigating please alfredo came out with a letter with 150 off our next stay, within a year please give me a break... Mr . Coppel secure your guests better................ that my investigation..................................

Reviewed May 23, 2010

This was the first time staying at this resort and we actually bought a time share there. Both my husband and I have visited a lot of the local resorts now and nothing really tops Sunset Beach for us. It is gorgeous, clean and smells great everywhere you go. Although the food is pricey, it is fantastic and the people are all extremely nice. It is remote and tranquil yet only a shuttle ride away from downtown and restaurants and nightlife when you want that. Our unit had its own swimming pool in addition to the other 4-5 hotel pools and it was nice to just walk downstairs to it's quiet location. This second trip we enjoyed different activities in town than our first trip to include 4 wheeling and jet skis. There's always something to do and new places to explore in Cabo. I really look forward to doing even more the next time we visit.

3  Thank Travlr00
Reviewed May 21, 2010

This resort is truly gorgeous...and every location here you would choose to visit is lovely in it's own right...be it the sky pool or the main pool or sitting on the balcony at one of the restaurants. The views are stunning from just about everywhere (and I say "just about' because our initial room overlooked the construction of their planned grocery store and had a sideways ocean view...but they graciously moved us when we asked...and our new room had what I believe to be the normal view that most rooms at the resort share....which was gorgeous.) I also looooved the aromatherapy oils that they use throughout the lobby. Our room was spotless and nicely appointed...and maid service was available daily.

With regard to the restaurants...we ate at the bistro 3 times and enjoyed the food and drinks and found the prices reasonable... their jalapeno poppers were incredible (and I know that sounds silly because how can poppers be amazing?...but they were stuffed with garlic cheese, wrapped in bacon (no breadding) and cooked over a wood fire which added an incredible smokey flavor!) but they were waaay too hot for my husband. We also enjoyed the food and service at the main pool and found the prices there to be reasonable.

The little store on property was NOT reasonably priced and bordered on ridiculous....but that simply means you need to shop elsewhere. Unless you rent a car, If you plan to pick up some groceries or basics to have on hand in the room...I recommend using a service from the airport that will allow you to stop at walmart on your way to the resort...just get your shopping done and out of the way...because this particular resort is a bit out of the way and transportation costs can add up rather quickly.

The one thing we didnt like was the overall layout of the resort...and it would probably be a deal breaker on our returning. While the design was beautiful and provides amazing views, it also had drawbacks.

We like to be able to leave our room and be fairly close the resort's amenities and that's just not going to happen at Sunset Beach unless you are very lucky. While walking down to the lobby for us was not a big deal...getting to the pools involved a cart or an uphill hike on a paved road....and our unit was relatively central...there were others that would have been even more distant from all of the places we wanted to spend time at. As someone else mentioned...the cart paths are narrow and are not exactly relaxing to walk on because you've got to be constantly aware of the carts zipping around the property so you can get the heck out of their way.

The need for the carts was the biggest downside of the resort for us. One couldnt run back to the room to apply more sunblock or grab a bottle of water. Going to the pool's required that you call for a ride or take a hike and that you bring whatever you might need for the duration of the time you planned to spend there....and for heaven's sake... make sure you dont forget anything (book, sunglasses, hat, etc) because going back to your room is a journey...not a quick jaunt.

So bascially...this was a truly lovely resort that simply requires some planning for just about anything you would choose to do...be it taking going to the pool or taking the shuttle into Cabo (make sure you get your tickets and, at night, get your return tickets immediately upon arriving in Cabo or they may not have room for you later). We prefer to be able to be a bit more spontaneous...to walk outside and take up residence on a lounge chair by a pool or to take a stroll on the beach without needing to plan for it or involve another person (cart-driver). It takes some of the fun out of an early morning walk on the beach if I need to be driven on a cart to enjoy that particular experience. Having to plan every move is not something I care to do when on vacation. For some people...this didnt seem to be an issue at all...so it's just a matter of what works for you.

If there was a way to ensure that I could get a room right by the main pool...I might consider staying here again...but I dont think that kind of gaurantee is likely. I'd rather stay at a place where I can walk outside and be on the beach or at the pool without having to call for a ride...and Cabo offers some other gorgeous properties that offer an environment more suitable to our way of vacationing.

So all in all....I'd recommend it...because there is no denying that it's beautiful and the service is quite good...but I would want those I recommended it to to be cognizant of what the resort experience is like.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ladycody
Reviewed May 17, 2010

This trip was our 8th trip to Cabo, and each time is better than the last. My husband and I were there for the first week alone, then our adult children came the second week. We love PB Sunset Beach. It is clean, and has the most beautiful views anywhere you stay.
I did notice the staff was not as friendly as in years past, but I am sure the lack of tourists has everyone on edge. The town was very quiet and it is obvious that people are not traveling as much as before. But everyone please know that Cabo is very safe and one of the best places to travel .

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank tfc63
Reviewed May 14, 2010

We stayed with friends who own a timeshare. Because we were not interested in our own timeshare at this time, they booked all room charges on their credit card and we settled up later. We also avoided the free breakfasts and politely deflected timeshare pitches as we boarded taxis at the front doors. Once aware that we were not interested, we were left alone. Upon arrival, there was a delay in confirming reservations, but we worked it all out and were shown to our junior suites-lovely and comfortable, with a two-burner kitchenette w/full size fridge and microwave. After a nice meal at the hotel's La Nao restaurant and a good night's rest, we were off to town to Wal-Mart for breakfast supplies for the weekend and to Felix/Mama's for an OUTSTANDING authentic Mexican brunch (thanks, TA friends, for the tip on the chilaquela!) Back to the resort: lush, colorful flora and lovely Mediterranean features everywhere greet you on this paradise forged into a steep, once arid hill. (We were amazed at how this terrain had been transformed, and marveled at the probable costs.) Golf carts were available for transport up & downhill, or one could use safe, scenic stairways when wanting a little exercise (which we did now & then-speaking of exercise, this resort has the best gym we've seen!) We spent the remainder of the afternoon lounging and swimming at one of the many, nice warm resort pools just below our suites, laughing and teasing other vacationers from other US states, England & Canada. Tired and happy, we joined just outside of La Nao at a cozy porch fire-pit nook for cheeseburgers, quesadillas, and a hilarious recollection of the day's antics.
Breakfast the next day was in our villas (ours: bacon/provolone omelets with a cheese/fruit danish) and off to more adventure. The hotel arranged a private taxi up the coast to Chileno bay for lunch and snorkeling. Snorkel gear is provided for those who need it, along with refreshing drinks of your choice at booking. We stopped at a couple of spots on the way up the coast and the guys got used to the water, then touched land on a secluded little landing just next to Chileno. We had a slight scare here when uniformed men onshore insisted our boat move over to the actual bay to dock and we temporarily lost sight of it (and our valuables) until we were reunited after hiking up to the bay across the hot sand. Shook up but stoic, we found some shade, had a little lunch and a swim, then gathered our things to go see more sights. And that we did! The rest of the trip was incredible! El Arco and Scooby-Doo were even more beautiful up close, as was Lover's Beach. A couple of our guys jumped off a 25-foot rock into the sea and we visited the sea lions as well. Come dinner, we taxi-ed into Cabo again to a place called Mazatlan and had the meal of a lifetime! We ordered the grilled red snapper along with a meal for two that they offer with various seafood delivered in a terra-cotta tureen in a heaping pile! The mariachi bands came and went from place to place, and were all excellent!!!
Needless to say we slept well that night!
The final full day we were there, we rested and tanned at the sky pool, making new friends and enjoying one another immensely. When the grill there opened at 11, we ordered cheeseburgers, which were outstanding! More tanning and resting, and another wonderful meal at La Nao, and again, we slept very well on the comfy beds.
We left Cabo sad to see it end. Our tips for travelers: try and get a direct flight to this hotel-they are few but out there. Also, if you're an owner's guest and want to avoid timeshare sales, do it as we did and do things under their identity when you can.
We've now been to both the East (Mayan Riviera) and West Coasts of MX and they each have their advantages. West: dryer air (for the ladies' hairstyles;) and very little rainfall. Locals speak English better here, which may be a latitude thing (Closer to the States). East: white, fine sand (never hot to walk in) and slightly warmer, saltier water that's easier to float in). Tans are quicker & more golden here (again, probably a "closer to the equator" thing.)
If you are interested in beaches and swimming there, you may either want to stay at this property's sister resort, the Rose, or another hotel beside it on the Sea of Cortez side. But if it's a pool-side rest that you need, the Sunset Beach has more than enough!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends