“Beautiful resort!”

Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Santa Barbara Co., Calif
“Beautiful resort!”
Reviewed August 23, 2006

We stayed at PBSB 8/18/06 - 8/22/06. After reading all (and I do mean all!) the reviews for this hotel I was afraid our expectations were perhaps a bit high. I am happy to report, we were not dissapointed!

After check in we were directed to the "welcome desk" to speak to someone about the "welcome package". Well, thanks to all the nice folks on TA, we knew to side step that area in a hurry!
Unfortunately that doesn't mean you are home free as far as the timeshare sharks are concerned. Our first evening there, we dined at the Bistro restaurant. When our meal was finished, we were approached by an employee who broached the subject in a round-about way. My husband saw where he was going with that, and politely declined any further conversation. The next day, while IN the main pool, my husband was approached again. Yes, in the water, lol. Again, he politely dismissed the gentleman. The next morning, lo and behold, the phone rang in the room... guess who? Yep, yet another offer of the "welcome package". Again, politely dismissed. That was the last of thier attempts. Thank goodness!

Other than that nonsense... every employee we encountered was very nice, very accomadating. The golf cart drivers were great and of the five days we were there, there was only one occasion that we had to wait a few minutes for a cart. Every other time, we would call to request one from our room on the fourth floor and by the time we took the elevator to the pick up spot, they were there waiting for us. We were never bothered by the noise of the carts, however, we were on the 4th floor. So, I'm not sure how bothersome it would be if your room was near a roadway. They sure were handy to have around, as it is a large resort, with many levels and it beats walking any far length, especially in the heat!

We never made it to Fridas, but did eat at Bistro and LaNao's. Both get a thumbs up from this couple. We also hit the deli near the lobby a couple of times. No complaints there, either. And, if you are not up to leaving the room to dine, they offer 24 hr room service.

There are 4 pools on the property. We only used 2 of them, the main pool and a smaller one very near our room (#2741). Both had swim up bars, we even ate a grilled lunch at the main pool. The pools are beautiful and impecably maintained. Towels were plentiful, as were the lounge chairs, although if you are hoping for a cabana at the main pool, best to arrive early as they go fast.

The maid service was the only minor complaint we had, their arrival times were sporadic, we were shorted a couple of towels a couple of times, and on one day the maid took our bath soap and didn't replace it. And on one occassion a dirty cleaning cloth was left on the vanity, on another, they left a spray bottle of cleaning solution on the kitchen counter. We did have turn down service our first night there, but nothing for the rest of the trip. Not a problem though. (just in case you're thinking they didn't get tipped well, they did, everyday! lol)

The resort offers a pillow menu and I took advantage of that. After the first night, I called and requested a softer pillow. I had a new one at our door within 15 minutes.

The grounds are beautiful and also impecably maintained. Just gorgeous!

They offer a free shuttle bus that travels into town and will drop you off at the PB Rose. It's a Mercedes bus, very comfortable and with very efficient AC. Once at the Rose, you can walk into town, or take cab for about $6 usd. However, if you prefer to skip the shuttle ride, we found it was only $10 usd for a taxi into town from PBSB. And there are always taxis parked at the resort, just waiting for a fare.

All in all, we were very pleased with the PBSB and without a doubt, would recommend a stay there.

15 Thank kimshar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,572)
  • Korean first
new orleans
Reviewed August 21, 2006

This resort is a little slice of heaven. Not only one of the nices places I've ever stayed but one of the cleanest. I found all of the staff to be VERY friendly and courtious. You must check out the bar at the pool by building 26 the staff there are the greatest Mario, Victor , Migual , and Amorita all great people to meet friendly and just a good time (had by all). The restuarant in the resort The Bistro has good food ( all thou the menu don't change from lunch to dinner) there is still a good selection to be had. House keeping was a pleasure to deal with ( for about a twenty dollar tip US ) we got flowers as well as towel figure on the bed every evening. The only other thing is this resort made MY trip to Cabo the BEST vacation EVER. Can't wait to go back in the near future.

9 Thank xxbeer
Chesterfield, VA
Reviewed August 21, 2006

This place is absolutely first class! The rooms, views, and service are all unbelievable. The resort is settled on a steep mountainside, which ensures that each villa has a marvelous view of the Pacific. We had a master suite, which had a roomy kitchenette, a nice big common area, a huge master bath and a second bathroom, two very conforable queen sized beds, a jacuzzi tub, and a huge two room balcony. One of the complaints I read concerned waiting for the carts (these are $20,000 gas powered carts - not golf carts) that shuttle you to any area of the resort. EVERY time I called for one - the entire week- it was waiting outside our villa by the time we walked out. The hotel offers free wireless internet in the lobby and the courtyard areas if you bring your own laptop. They will have in room wireless by the end of the year - but I am sure it will involve a fee. They also have a pay by the hour service using their equipment.

The staff was friendly, courteuos, and seemed to genuinely care about your stay. Case in point - one day after returning from a trip to the town, I realized that I had dropped my camera in a cab. To make matters worse, my father-in-law realized that he had also left his wallet in the same cab! This was a recipe for ruining a great vacation. I immediately found the taxi steward in the hotel lobby, who went into action. Each time you enter or leave via taxi, they recorded your room number and the taxi number. We thought this was strange and invasive at first - but now we understand why. The steward called the taxi company - and within minutes - the taxi returned with both items. What a relief!

The many pools (we counted 4, and they are building two more on the hillside above) were fabulous. The main pool at the bottom is really 5 conjoined pools, with two large open pool areas, a huge jet pool, and two smaller pools on each end. They all have water bars, and they had great lunch selections.

The other complaint we read before going was the timeshare offers and pressure to attend a sales pitch. Please see our experience below - this can be turned into a positive for your vacation.

I would not hesitate to stay here again - the place is absolutely first rate!

OUR TIMESHARE EXPERIENCE:

I had arranged for a private van to take us in from the airport, and while we waited, we were approached by their company rep. to attend a presentation at a competing resort. I was talking to him, with absolutely no intentions of going, when he began to up the ante on what he knew we would recieve for attending one at the Pueblo Bonita SB. Before it was over - he offered us $300 dollars in coupons ($150 per couple) at any Marina or downtown restaurant, 3 bottles of the local tequilla, 3 mexican blankets, and 12 free drink coupons at the local bars. Best of all - free taxi certificates to and from town. We left thinking - maybe....

The next morning - we decided to go, since it is on the beach in the downtown area. We sat through a 45 minute presentation which included a nice breakfast and free drinks, while our son and his girlfirend enjoyed the beach. We declined the offer, and left with everything they said they would give - including cash money for the taxi rides. We left and went to one of the local restaurants and had lunch, and the certificates were accepted as promised.

The next morning - we decided to attend the Sunset Beach presentation so we would not be approached again. We also mentioned the other offer, so they upped the ante here. Needless to say - I would not buy in Mexico - it is too risky - you have no title insurance and you never own the property - you are purchasing a lease. If the developer goes belly up - you loose it all with no recourse. But - 45 minutes later, after an even nicer breakfast, we recieved 2 more bottles of tequilla, two bottles of Kahlua, 12 drink certificates , $200 per couple off our bill ($400 Total). These two visits literally paid for half of our expenses during the week, and we never had to purchase drinks the entire week. So - is it worth an hour and a half of you vacation? we think so.... The morale is - if you go - mention that you have recieved other offers - they will immediately increase the offer.

• Stayed August 2006
24 Thank euells
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Hello My wife and I stayed at Sunset Beach for the Third Time in a row using our timeshare, each year.

Actually fourth, because the first time was during my birthday and we took the timeshare tour Sunset Beach/Rose, loved Sunset Beach and the sales person offered us to stay there our remaining four days, Yes, we were two couples and left our "all inclusive" in downtown Cabo San Lucas overlooking the Bay and stayed in Sunset Beach in two separate Jr. Suites. (No, The other couple did not buy a timeshare.) We have been to Malaga, Spain, Cocoa Beach and Matzatlan, and other trips among the timeframe of those trips, yet we're still returning each year to our timeshare at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach.

This year we decided to rent a car. We were bold enough to negotiate with one of the timeshare sales persons at the car rental to pay for our car's "full coverage" $210.00 and a car upgrade, to take a timeshare tour somewhere else, and it was promptly paid cash after we took the tour at another resort. There was inside parking available at the Sunset Beach Main Building in the two lower levels. I guess if enough people start renting cars, someone will say there isn't enough parking for rental cars. We always got to choose from the last four or two spaces to park.

We decided prior to the trip that we wouldn't be "resort pillows" or "shuttle pirates". We drove to La Paz and stopped at some of the smaller towns in between. We heard there was a ferry that will transport you to and from La Paz and the Main Land. We're still trying to figure it out to do for a future trip. La Paz was about a two hour drive one way if you keep on the road. You'll take the full day if you make stops. You can see the Pacific going and Sea of Cortez Coming or vice versa because there are two roads to travel which follow alongside both coasts to get there. I don''t know how correct I am in saying Nothing grows in this deserty part of Baja Mexico so everything is shipped from the Main Land. So there is a shipping enterprise to explore.

I keep enjoying reading the comments and directions from other travelers, whether positive or negative. My wife and I are in our very late fourtys and we know what to expect when we get to Sunset Beach. We show up Monday afternoon, do the Spa, walk the Sunset Beach, go to Tuesday free drinks at the Bar welcoming guest, enjoy the gardens and wildlife staying at the resort, immediately make reservations for the Sunday brunch/Church. Go to the Midlevel Pool for low occupancy. Use the wireless internet at the beautiful Church courtyard while drinking one of their specialty coffee's. Some lunch and dinner on the Balcony at the Bistro, well once we just came back from excursions and ran a tab at that Bistro balcony overlooking the beautiful ocean and Sunset. Keep reserved at least one day for all day room service and next day breakfast. There are two local restaurants we personally go which I will keep secret. Max three "wet" excursion days snorkleling, ski jet on the bay, Water Taxis, 1/2 day Fishing, Pueblo Bonito Rose Midday lunch/beach soaking and dinner at the Rose to name a few. I won't compare my trip with other places we went because we "enjoyed the moment", for us, we know it is guarranteed.

See Y'all Next Years.
Daniel and Alma

• Liked — Sunset
  • Disliked — Not Enough Sunset
  • Tips/Secrets — Look for my two Personal favorite local restaurants.
12 Thank AlmaDaniel
Madison, WI
Reviewed August 10, 2006

BEWARE - please read this before booking here. We stayed at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach for 7 days and will not go back. We were constantly harrassed by RUDE and arrogant sales reps, trying to sell us overpriced timeshares, We were approached several times while we were dining, breakfast. lunch and dinner. It was simply incredible, we couldn't believe the nerve and aggressiveness of these people. It started off strong and didn't stop our entire stay, even after we complained. The management didn't care.

We had to be moved twice - we booked a suite, they initially put us into a room with two double beds! After my husband threw a fit, (they were not going to move us), they finally moved us to a very old, dirty room with a king bed, but the room was horrible. Again, we were astonished, for what we were paying for this trip. We finally got them to move us to a semi decent room (which look NOTHING like the website photos - total misrepresentation!)
I believe the Holiday Inn could put this place to shame.

The walls and floors were paper thin, we could hear everything, especially the people walking around in the room above us. The construction was noisy, dusty and a nuisance.
The service was below average, the food mediocre (but expensive) the rooms marginal and the pools totally overcrowded. We sat at the pool with barely an inch between chaise lounges.

We didn't mind walking the hills to get here and there, but anyone who is unable to walk or for health reasons, cannot, will be spending a lot of time waiting for transportation. It is a beautiful location, but all was overshadowed by the insistent timeshare pitches (which NEVER end throughout your stay) and the other nuisances. For the money you spend to stay there, this place should be catering to guests every whim, instead of preying only on those willing to dish out $100,000 to buy a timeshare. Very very very disappointed in this resort and i don't think they management cares very much about what people think about their hotel.....as long as they sell timeshares. Total ripoff... BEWARE!!!!!!!

We had fun in town though and on the excursions. The area is nice and the weather great.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Timeshare pitches, bad service, overcrowded
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from this resort
18 Thank Toodles53719
Philly
Reviewed August 7, 2006

I was a guest at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach from 7/31 thru 8/7. I am in my 30's and took my two parents who are in their 60's. The resort is absolutely breathtaking. It is impeccably maintained, the staff is VERY friendly and helpful, and the rooms and common areas are all beautifully appointed. The resort is on the side of a mountain, so, it does lend to steep hills and walking. However, the resort has golf carts that will pick you up and take you wherever you want to go at no charge. We never waited more than 5 minutes for a cart. The drivers are all courteous and friendly. We had a luxury suite, which consisted of 2 baths, a living room with a pull out sofa, a bedroom with two queen beds and a huge double wide terrace overlooking the Pacific. The restaurants: La Nao is EXCELLENT, The Aqua Bar is good for lunch and snacks. I would stay away from the Bistro. My father and Aunt (who was also visiting the resort at the same time) fell ill after eating there. We didn't try Frida, but, I heard good things. If you venture in town, be sure to eat at Edith's. It is pricey but EXCELLENT. The spa at the resort was just so, so. But, I am very picky about spas. They were late in getting me for my massage and then tried to rush me to my next treatment. The pedicure was just ok, as well. You must walk along the beach to the south. The view of the waves crashing on the rocks is surreal.
I would go back to this resort in a heartbeat. We enjoyed our stay a lot. If you go, ask for Antonio at the Aqua Bar. He made our trip memorable!!

• Liked — The friendly staff and the amazing views
  • Disliked — Very little hot water in the showers!
  • Tips/Secrets — Check out the night before and take advantage of their shuttle service. Go to the pool early to get a cabana.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
14 Thank umagirl
Houston
Reviewed August 5, 2006

We are back from another awesome, spectacular, relaxing, etc. trip to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach from 7/28 – 8/4. We were there last year for our 13th anniversary and became owners. We were back this year for our 14th. We had a smooth flight and a breeze (about 5 minutes in line) through customs. Waiting outside was Cape Travel with a sign with our name on it. I surprised my wife with a limo from the airport to Sunset Beach. It was so nice to jump in and have a nice ride to SB. We booked a private suburban through Cape Travel for our return. Our return flight was at 1:00 so they told us that they would pick us up at 10:00 a.m. We arrived at 9:45 and they were there waiting for us. Both rides were nice and comfortable. We enjoyed the suburban better. It was brand new and very comfortable. We can’t see ourselves catching the shuttle again (always private suburban). We paid $85 for the suburban. We would have paid $34 for the shuttle. It was well worth the extra $51 to have the comfortable ride and not have to wait. We arrived at SB at 3:00 and our room was ready. We were in building 14 (top floor). We had an amazing view and it was very relaxing. Once we got to the room the rest was history. Just as it was last year, everything was absolutely amazing. The view, grounds, etc were amazing. It wasn’t crowded at all. Around 4:30 Monday evening we did notice a line of about 25 people waiting for golf carts at the main building. It looks like they had just checked in. I was told that Monday’s are the big check-in day for owners. We prefer Friday to Friday and had no problem checking it or out.
We enjoy walking up and down the hills and beautiful hidden stairs so we didn’t use the golf carts too much. When we use it (usually for dinner), we never had to wait more then 3 minutes.
Building 14 was in a perfect location. We were able to walk anywhere we wanted to.
The SPA was wonderful. We had 2 couple’s massages. We used the wet area about 4 times. It was just awesome. The flavored waters and teas, the nice robes, lockers, lounge chairs, etc.
We didn’t use the gym. We chose to walk instead and enjoy the wonderful views and well landscaped grounds. We walked the beach 2 times and it was wonderful.
We spent a lot of time on the balcony relaxing, enjoying the sound of the waves, enjoying the view, etc.
We spent one day at the mid pool (by building 26) and 1 day at the main pool. We didn’t have a problem finding a chair with umbrella or cabana.
We ate at Bristro about 3 times (breakfast and lunch). We had the Asian buffet on Friday and the Seafood night on Thursday. Both were excellent. We had dinner at Siempre (Pacifica) one night and as usual the service and food was excellent. We had our anniversary dinner at Pitahayas (Sheraton). Thanks all for the recommendation! The view and food was amazing!. We had a few flies, but it wasn’t that bad. We used room service for breakfast twice and it was great. The timing was perfect.
Our most disappointing experience was our dinner at Mi Casa. Since several people had suggested it for an anniversary dinner so we had set our expectation a little high. Thank goodness we didn’t take that advice and eat there for our anniversary. We chose to have dinner there one night. I had a nice pair of slacks and shirt and my wife had a nice evening dress with mini heels and we were WAY OVER DRESSED. The food was OK. There were a lot of flies. That set us next to a small water fountain. The wind constantly blew the water on us. This is definitely not an anniversary dinner environment. I couldn’t go there again unless we are off the beach and want a quick lunch (definitely not for diner).
If you want to relax, enjoy time with your spouse and enjoy so wonderful well-landscaped grounds. You can’t go wrong with Sunset Beach. We will be back next year. We are trying to decide if we want to carry our 2 boys (6 & 9) with us next year. We know they will enjoy it, but we just want to be selfish and go one more time by ourselves :-)

• Liked — Great room views and landscaping
12 Thank mkbowlkw