“Another awesome visit to Sunset Beach”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #24 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed August 5, 2006

We are back from another awesome, spectacular, relaxing, etc. trip to Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach from 7/28 – 8/4. We were there last year for our 13th anniversary and became owners. We were back this year for our 14th. We had a smooth flight and a breeze (about 5 minutes in line) through customs. Waiting outside was Cape Travel with a sign with our name on it. I surprised my wife with a limo from the airport to Sunset Beach. It was so nice to jump in and have a nice ride to SB. We booked a private suburban through Cape Travel for our return. Our return flight was at 1:00 so they told us that they would pick us up at 10:00 a.m. We arrived at 9:45 and they were there waiting for us. Both rides were nice and comfortable. We enjoyed the suburban better. It was brand new and very comfortable. We can’t see ourselves catching the shuttle again (always private suburban). We paid $85 for the suburban. We would have paid $34 for the shuttle. It was well worth the extra $51 to have the comfortable ride and not have to wait. We arrived at SB at 3:00 and our room was ready. We were in building 14 (top floor). We had an amazing view and it was very relaxing. Once we got to the room the rest was history. Just as it was last year, everything was absolutely amazing. The view, grounds, etc were amazing. It wasn’t crowded at all. Around 4:30 Monday evening we did notice a line of about 25 people waiting for golf carts at the main building. It looks like they had just checked in. I was told that Monday’s are the big check-in day for owners. We prefer Friday to Friday and had no problem checking it or out.
We enjoy walking up and down the hills and beautiful hidden stairs so we didn’t use the golf carts too much. When we use it (usually for dinner), we never had to wait more then 3 minutes.
Building 14 was in a perfect location. We were able to walk anywhere we wanted to.
The SPA was wonderful. We had 2 couple’s massages. We used the wet area about 4 times. It was just awesome. The flavored waters and teas, the nice robes, lockers, lounge chairs, etc.
We didn’t use the gym. We chose to walk instead and enjoy the wonderful views and well landscaped grounds. We walked the beach 2 times and it was wonderful.
We spent a lot of time on the balcony relaxing, enjoying the sound of the waves, enjoying the view, etc.
We spent one day at the mid pool (by building 26) and 1 day at the main pool. We didn’t have a problem finding a chair with umbrella or cabana.
We ate at Bristro about 3 times (breakfast and lunch). We had the Asian buffet on Friday and the Seafood night on Thursday. Both were excellent. We had dinner at Siempre (Pacifica) one night and as usual the service and food was excellent. We had our anniversary dinner at Pitahayas (Sheraton). Thanks all for the recommendation! The view and food was amazing!. We had a few flies, but it wasn’t that bad. We used room service for breakfast twice and it was great. The timing was perfect.
Our most disappointing experience was our dinner at Mi Casa. Since several people had suggested it for an anniversary dinner so we had set our expectation a little high. Thank goodness we didn’t take that advice and eat there for our anniversary. We chose to have dinner there one night. I had a nice pair of slacks and shirt and my wife had a nice evening dress with mini heels and we were WAY OVER DRESSED. The food was OK. There were a lot of flies. That set us next to a small water fountain. The wind constantly blew the water on us. This is definitely not an anniversary dinner environment. I couldn’t go there again unless we are off the beach and want a quick lunch (definitely not for diner).
If you want to relax, enjoy time with your spouse and enjoy so wonderful well-landscaped grounds. You can’t go wrong with Sunset Beach. We will be back next year. We are trying to decide if we want to carry our 2 boys (6 & 9) with us next year. We know they will enjoy it, but we just want to be selfish and go one more time by ourselves :-)

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
12  Thank mkbowlkw
Write a ReviewReviews (10,104)

Reviewed August 1, 2006

Be prepared to walk or wait for a golf cart to pick you up this place is big.

Pool is very nice and open 24 hours

The grounds and rooms are very clean. Much better than the Bonito Rose whihc we visited.

The spa is outstanding however the treatments are pricey.

Although I did not do it I advise taking the timeshare tour and get your discounts.

Overall the staff was very helpful and the food was good. Cannot swim in the ocean (strong undercurrent)

Cab ride into town is about 8-12 bucks

We had a junior suite which is nothing more than a regular hotel room

Take in the Outback Baja tour it was the best thing we did.

Stayed: July 2006
14  Thank jsantora
Reviewed July 31, 2006

We received this trip as a bonus for our RCI timeshare so it was just a matter of accepting this resort.

I think an upgrade depends on who you get at the front desk. The group in front of me had a very helpful person, but the guy we got wasn't. He put us in Bldg 12-far away from the pools and the lobby. When we asked for something else, he said we would have to pay for an upgrade.

When we left the front desk, we were approached by a woman at the timeshare desk. She insisted on our name. I told her we were not ready to book a presentation. She said she had nothing to do with the timeshare desk, and had to know our name for check-in purposes (which we had just completed). When she left and walked right back to the timeshare desk, my husband said, "She just lied right to your face." That was the beginning of the timeshare hassles.

We went to the Bistro for lunch where we were approached again. They do not go away upon saying no. "Why not? I don't want you to book with someone else." We ate at the Bistro three times and the service and food were pretty mediocre each time.
We also ate at La Nau for the seafood buffet and it was ok but pretty expensive. Other guests we were with from the resort said they were not impressed.

We also ate at the Manilla bar by the main pool-2 quesadillas took 90 minutes to serve. We were approached again by a timeshare person. However, the aqua bars had great service!

When we did book our presentation, we were told we could have 2 spa certificates-one at 60% off, and the second one at 40% off because my daughter was joining us later. We did the presentation, and bought our first certificate. We were told at the timeshare activities desk to come back when our daughter arrived 3 days later to purchase the second one. Well, of course, 3 days later, no one ever said that. Of course, you cannot use 2 spa certificates for PB Sunset Beach-it would only be for another resort. Why would my daughter and I go to different spas? No one would help, each said to go somewhere else-the front desk, the concierge, the spa, etc. Everyone said they didn't have anything to do with the other.

Yes, our Jr suite was beautiful, with marble floors. We were upstairs, and our maid service was excellent. They most certainly mopped the floors everyday. The view from our room of the ocean was gorgeous. Our biggest problem with our room was that we had to rely on shuttle service many times. Sometimes we walked up to the upper pool and back but at 101 degrees, it was too hot and too far to walk all the way up to the lobby. It took repeated phone calls to request a cart, Often, people staying in closer buildings would grab the carts before they would get to our building. It was very time consuming to go anywhere.

The emergency contact at the front desk was helpful when my daughter got sick in the middle of the night. A doctor was brought to our room from town-$120 cash for the doctor (a deal), another $100 for medicine. But we were told it would take 1/2 hour for the medicine to arrive; it took 2 1/2, and we had to go up to the lobby to check on it-then half the medication was missing.

The resort grounds are gorgeous, and the view is beautiful. It's just that we expected better food and service and were disappointed in both. The cart drivers often complained of being tired. It's an expensive resort and the feeling is that they can't be bothered. I understand there are many owners so many people must really enjoy their stay. We were told by some owners that the RCI exchange guests are treated poorly. I have nothing else to base that on except our experience.

So while we had great weather and met some really nice people, the frustration of not being able to get a cart, and the lack of customer service all over the resort just put a negative spin on the entire trip.

There are too many other nice resorts with better customer service for us to go back.

I am happy to respond to emails with more detailed information.
jwthere4u@yahoo.com

10  Thank jwthere4u
Reviewed July 31, 2006

My husband and I went to Cabo reluctantly. We live on the east coast and thought it would bea long and expensive flight for a beach vacation. We were so unimpressed as we rode from the airport that we thought we'd be home early. Just as we become convinced of a speedy return, we came upon the entrance of the resort. Immediately we noticed this place was different. As we rode along the view was breathtaking. Then we came upon the resort which from the outside did not give a hint of what we were about to see!! An architectural ,engineering, landscaping and artistic wonder!! The rooms and the service completed our fabulous experience. The food and service were superb. We were so wrong!! Pueblo Bonito can only be described as a piece of paradise.
One slight problem is that happy hour at the main pool is somewhat roudy, it can disturb the beauty , serenity and peace.
We simply moved to a quiter pool. Perhaps this is an area of attention for the management. I hastily add that there are options if it is too loud and that satified our need.
We loved our experience so much that we purchased two weeks of time sharing--not something we planned to do!!
A year is too long to wait so we may go back sooner!!

17  Thank bellaterra
Reviewed July 25, 2006

We our timeshare holders with RCI and we did an exchange. We exchanged to stay at Dreams Casa Dorado HORRIBLE please run. We called RCI and told them that we were not happy and that they need to find us something else. They set us up at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. WOW WOW WOW there was no comparison. We had the best trip of our lifes and we travel alot. What a beautiful resort. It had so much to offer. The food, the gym, the spa, the staff everything. We had a one bedroom in building 20 and wow what a view. We ended up buying a timeshare there it was so wonderful. We highly recommend this to anyone that is looking for first class.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank lotsoffun4
Reviewed July 15, 2006

Everything at Sunset Beach was first class. Marble floors and showers, buffets that were worthy of taking a camera along, and staff that took pride in their work. During the July 4'th week the resort was busy, but the only pool that ran out of room was the lower one closest to the ocean.

The restaurants varied in terms of selection and price, but the quality was excellent at both we went to. La Nao, next to the oceanside pool, was home of the ginormous buffets. We went to the Pan-Asian ($35), seafood (priced according to entree, but averaging about $30), and Sunday brunch ($35). No, those aren't Wendy's prices, but the quality of the food and the presentation is what you'd expect when paying that much.

The Bistro is the main restaurant for anyone not wanting to pay four star prices. The selection is pretty eclectic with seafood, sandwiches and pizza. Note that the pizza is enough for 2 hungry people and for $13 is about what you'd pay at a Bennigans/Applebees back at home.

The deli's are pretty well stocked, but expensive. Prices aren't any higher at Sunset than at downtown Rose in the deli, though. If you rent a car, stop in town at City Club and stock up on snacks/breakfast food/alcohol.

The free bus to the sister resorts downtown, Rose and Blanco, is great since Sunset and its neighbor Pueblo Bonito Pacifica are quite secluded. You probably won't see anyone on the beaches at Sunset except other people from your resort. Contrast that with Medano Beach (downtown) resorts where you have lots of independent restaurants, but tons of people and lots of vendors badgering you every few feet. The reservation system for the bus is a bit convoluted. Call from your room to the concierge to reserve your bus ride and then pick up an actual ticket from the concierge later. Don't forget to book your return trip to Sunset when you arrive at Rose! The podium on the right as you exit the bus at Rose will handle both bus reservations and ticketing. More than a few folks thought they could just walk onto the bus and found out differently.

For those with laptops, there is free Wifi in the main lobby and the areas outside the spa and deli at Sunset. The buildings up the mountain from the lobby are hardwired for internet access and the staff says the rest of the complex will be covered by free wifi in the next year. No laptop? There are 5 computers with broadband at $18 an hour at the drugstore/internet cafe. Ouch.

No, Sunset is not cheap. Nothing in Los Cabos is cheap. You might as well get the best value and have a great place to stay. I've stayed elsewhere in CSL and in comparison, Sunset stands above the rest.

• Stayed: July 2006
20  Thank Heymoe
Reviewed July 14, 2006

We arrived on Monday afternoon witha reservation in hand for 2 junior suites. Upon entering the front door we besiged not by one but 3 young ladies trying to sign us up for a timeshare tour. Our party of 4 repeated told them no, not interested, but they would not relent. We stood inline for 45 minutes, finally we were assigned our room. It was then I pointed out that we had 2 suites. Again another 20 minute wait while they straightened out the paper work and but both rooms on one credit card, or so I thought. We then proceeded down stairs to retrieve our luggae and take a golf cart to our rooms. Another hour wait in 100 degree heat and finally we were on our way. Not a gentle ride by a wide winding ride of hairpin turns, tailgating, close call to pedestrians as we went up and down hills to our rooms. Upon entering our rooms, they were stiffling hot, one suite had a lock that would not work, so maintenance was called. We decided to all go to dinner to the Mexican buffet, the troublw was in tokk 3 phones calls to find were it was, the problem with service staff that speaks limited english. We were told to call an hour in advance for a shuttle! We decided to walk 2 hills later, 4 dozen steps we arrived, winded & sweaty. We proceed to have an excellent dinner with drinks but when I went to have the meal billed to my room I was informed there was no credit card on file! I went out to get a shuttle, after a 15 minute wait I walked back up the hill to the front desk. Having a second time giventhe front desk person my credit card information. I walked back down the hill stopping along the way to check to see if the lock on our room was fixed. Surprise now there was no lock at all on the door! I called the front desk and was informed they were trying to reach Maintenance. I walked back down the hills to pay for dinner. Again another sales perspn asked us to go to the timeshare meeting! It was at this time we discovered that the beautiful beach was unsafe for swimming! Contrary to what the booking company had assured our travel agent. After returning to our room, still with no lock! II called the front desk and requested 2 new rooms, then I called our travel agent to complain and request a transfer to another hotel. An hour later we were moved to new rooms , now with a very limited view of the ocean. Also I ahve to note that the rooms look no way as they do on Pueblo Bonito's website and were closer to a double room then a suite. In fact we've stayed at Holiday Inn rooms that were bigger! The next morning we caught the shuttle to the Rose' again we were told that the shuttle runs continuously, in truth it runs 10:00 am. to 10:30 am and taken 40 minutes to get there. The Rose' was a much better hotel both in appearance and hospitality. upon returning to the SUnset in the late afternoon. We took a cab for $6.00! We discovered that our travel agant had arrainged for a transfer to the Rose'! That's when the real fun started a travel agent said everything was arranged, 2 rooms had been reserved and that we should pack as the staff was coming down to pick us up. We waited and waited I finally called the front desk who knew nothing about it , the reservation manager went home at 4:00 and we would have to wait to Wednesday! I called the agent and she said everything was approved and ready to go, she could not understand the hold up. I explained this to the front desk staff and they just kept saying sorry nothing they could do . Finally I demanded to see the General Manager, after losing my temper and demanding that we be transfered as promised. We were finally allowed to leave but theen informed that they could not provide transportation! FINE we called a cab! The Rose was happy to take us in, the staff was much mosre frendly and courteous. The Pueblo Bonito Sunset "Stay away! The Rose' much better!

• Stayed: July 2006