“Loved the resort!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved the resort!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2006

We recently returned from a week at the Pueblo Bonito at Sunset Beach. The facility was beautiful and the view from our room was breathtaking. The hotel staff was very professional and yet very personable. The main pool at the resort tended to get rather crowded, but the other pools at the resort were not. We enjoyed a fabulous dinner at La Nao restaurant located at the resort. The Mexican buffet that they had at La Nao was pleasing not only to the eye but to the palate. The breakfast menu at El Bistro offered a variety of both American and Mexican cuisine. The food was delicious and the prices were fair. The deli at the resort provided a good choice of sandwiches to pick from on those days when dining in sounded like a good idea. We both also took advantage of the spa facility at the resort. It was a very relaxing and satisfying experience. The water cycle treatment that is offered in both the men's and women's locker rooms after the massages is wonderful. The locker room facility is clean, quiet and very well equipped with anything that you would need. We will definately be making plans to return to this resort in the future.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,425)
  • Korean first
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2006

We stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Sunet in May 2006 with my parents. They own a timeshare there. We stayed in a Deluxe Master Suite. First problem - there's two queen beds in one bedroom. Fine if you don't mind sharing a room with your travelling companions. We would have preferred a separate room, which is available in higher priced suites. This bed configuration is the only strange thing about an otherwise great room layout. Balcony is quite large. The kitchen is nice, with a toaster, medium sized refrigerator and cooktop. Seating areas in the livingroom are nice, the couch was a bit on the uncomfortable side. We had a room close to the pool, though it's a bit of a chore to go up to the main building, though there are frequent shuttles to take you wherever you want to go.

The pool is excellent, if not a bit windy at times. It is difficult to find chairs there if you don't get there early, though people respect reserved seats - even though the official hotel policy is that reserving seats is not allowed, not many follow it. This was annoying the first day we were there, but afterwards, not a problem as we got down there early enough.

If you are one that likes to sun on the beach and swim in the ocean, this resort is not for you. There is no swimming in the ocean because of the dangerous riptides, and the beach is quite windy. There is a shuttle to two other Pueblo Bonito properties in Cabo proper which offer a more traditional beach experience. The beach is good for walking and is relatively deserted.

The food was pretty decent at this resort, unlike some of the reviews here. It was pretty standard fare, as far as these type of resorts go. Not 5 star, but nothing terrible either. A fair amount of americanized options, particularly at the pool and bistro. Though, if you really want good Mexican cuisine, a trip into town to something like Panchos is warrented.

The granite tile floors are noisy at night. We had a bottom floor unit and several nights were kept up by people up above us. There were a lot of college age students partying post school year when we were there and making a lot of noise, but the hotel responded well to our complaint of noise at 2 am and the noises stopped/slowed down.

The timeshare people are somewhat relentless as some others have commented here, but understand the word NO very well.

Overall, this is a great resort. Not great value - everything here is pretty expensive, but that's to be expected. Top notch service really makes this place shine. We liked the location and the fact that it was away from the hotel zone in cabo itself, which in recent years has gotten incredibly touristy and harder to enjoy.

9 Thank billhelm
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

For our second stay in Cabo we chose the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach and I must say we
were not dissapointed.Everything from the view to the service was awesome and we would stay again in a heartbeat.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
san diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

This is a very clean, beautiful place, but the pool is over crowded, the food is horrible and WAY overpriced, and the service is very pushy. We were lucky to see whales in the ocean every day as we sat by the pool, but pool chairs are hard real estate to come by! You have to get a top floor room of whatever building you're in b/c all rooms have granite floors and metal furniture, so you can hear movement all night long. Book a kitchenette room and have your cab from the airport stop at the store so you can pick up breakfast stuff, snacks and drinks (lots of water!) I think it would be best to visit in the off season.

• Stayed December 2004
11 Thank wileySanDiego
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2006

This resort is fabulous! We stayed 5/5 - 5/12 and we rented 2 presidential suites. There were 8 of us (four in each suite). I have to admit that I was nervous because I am one of those people that likes to be in control over my travel plans and we were invited to go with a group of people and the plans were made, I just had to write a check. Because I really had no information about this place I started reading reviews 2 months prior to the trip. Although the majority of the reviews for Sunset Beach are very, very positive, I tended to worry about the comments that were negative and was just a little concerned about a couple of items. After visiting this resort, I now realize that I wasted my time even being remotely concerned over any negative comments about this place. It is amazing! Although Cabo isn't 'tropical' like other places there are gorgeous views and perfect weather. I can't believe anyone would have anything but positive remarks about their stay. A major plus was that you got to visit and enjoy their "sister" resort, Rose. We went there a few times and enjoyed the pool and beach. (You can charge drinks to your room at Sunset Beach from this location). I would have been fine staying at "our own place" but this also gave us some other options to check out and enjoy!

I was ready to write a long review about how incredible this place is but then I read the review posted on May 24th from a couple in Indianapolis, Indiana. (Way to go!) I couldn't write it any better than they did and second everything they had to say. They covered it all perfectly! I just still wanted to write to let you know that if you stay here YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED! Relax and enjoy your vacation! No worries here...One of the concerns that I had when reading was about "the carts", so I am including a picture of what they look like, they are nice and get you where you need to go, fast and without a wait. Just call from your room and they show up outside your door! The grounds are so well manicured, we opted to walk a fair amount just to take everything in and appreciate the surroundings.

On a side note, we spoke to a couple that mentioned you could buy or rent places on Ebay for a fraction of the costs. Since I loved this place I checked it out and there are some great deals. I've never tried it but will look into it for the future. I typed in "Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach" and found a couple listings to buy a timeshare (which I am not interested in) but I was more curious to find that people that are unable to use their timeshare this year post them for rent. Last week, there was a posting for a suite like we stayed in for $1400 (7 nights) - of course it had specific dates in July that you had to use. I checked tonight and they lowered it to $999. We had 4 people in our 2 bedroom suite so that's just $250 per person for the entire week! INCREBILE for this place!!!!! Has anyone ever used Ebay for booking a vacation? I would be interested in knowing and how your experience was using it.

20 Thank brja001
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2006

My 22 year old daughter & I just returned from Sunset Beach yesterday and I am already planning a trip to return there with girlfriends! The service and friendliness of the staff is unlike any other property I have stayed at. The fitness room/equipment was above standard and there was always someone there to answer questions or assist. Even though the property is built on a hillside, the overall design of the resort was well thought out as every vantage point and room has a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean. The golf carts were easily accessible and the drivers were all polite and always helped us in and out. We did not eat in the La Nau Restaurant, but the food in all the other restaurants was excellent. I cannot think of anything critical to report about this resort.....

10 Thank Pamela P
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2006

We loved the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach! My husband and I are both in our mid 30's and are both pharmacists. We typically stay at Hilton level hotels, but, the Hilton was booked for this week, and once we visited, we were glad. We stayed at the PBSB from 4/29-5/6/2006. After reading some reviews we were crossing our fingers on the way there, but, were very pleasantly surprised. It was breathtaking, to be sure.

Service and general hotel comments: Wonderful! Everyone there was incredibly nice, helpful and eager to please in our experience. This was not only our experience at this hotel, but, at the sister hotels, and downtown. We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite just by asking upon arrival and it was wonderful. The view was wonderful from our suite, but, all face the ocean, so from our perspective, any would be great. The hotel, as mentioned everywhere else is basically villa type buildings set into a mountainside overlooking a huge, wonderful beach and the ocean. It's very private and secluded, like having your own house on the beach, with benefits.

Pools: Really beautiful. We spent time at the main pool and the pool closest to the lobby building. All have a bar, food service and towel service, and we never had to wait for a drink. The view from the main pool was the best, but, it was also the most crowded, although we never had a problem finding lounges really. The pool at the Rose is very nice as well, it is bigger and all at ground level, and interconnects, we spent some time there. The Blanco pool area was somewhat smaller, we didn't spend time there. The Holistic was, as expected, very relaxing, but, large, beautiful and beachfront. We spent an entire day there.

Golf Carts: We thought this was pretty cool, actually. What could be better than being driven wherever you want to go all week? Take me to the pool, take me to my room, take me to the restaurant. We weren't in a hurry, it was vacation. It does get kind of chilly at night though, so take a jacket/sweater, etc. At the beginning we tipped each time, but, then noticed there was a box up by the lobby, so saved it for the end after that. It is, of course, entirely optional to tip. We were told it is not at all necessary because they make "good money".

Shuttles to sister resorts: We found this to be very easy and manageable. They leave on the hour beginning at 10am until maybe 10pm to the Rose, and return from the Rose on the 1/2 hour. You do have to go to the concierge at the PBSB to get a ticket beforehand, but, when you know this, it's not a problem at all. From the Rose, it's an easy walk to the mall and around town. We spent lots of time exploring around town. There's also a different shuttle to the Holistic, which is kind of right next door, but, not walkable really. If you don't like having to live by the shuttle schedule, there are always cabs there, which cost $12 each way.

Sister resorts: It was a nice addition to our vacation to be able to use and explore the other hotels as well. We liked the Rose, and would consider staying there when returning to be in town for a change, but, it would be hard to give up the SB. All water activities take place from this stretch of beach in front of the Rose and Blanco. The Blanco was a little too old for our tastes, smaller, we wouldn't stay there compared to the SB or Rose. The Holistic seemed to be virtually empty, but was gorgeous definitely quite nice, a little too quiet, we wouldn't stay there for this reason. It really seemed to be more a hotel, whereas the SB was a resort.

Food: We arrived very late the first night and had room service, which was not expensive and was very good, so we did that one other night as well. We ate at La Nao several times by the main pool, the Sunday Brunch was very nice, as was the Mexican night. Very nice views, and the food was good. We also ate at the Blanco at Cilantro's and the view was wonderful (second only to a couple places in Maui we've been, and the restaurant at the Holistic). The food was very good, and there was a show going on a stage by the pool. We ate at the restaurant at the Holistic for dinner, which we found to be expensive (because we had lobster and steak), but, very good, and as mentioned a really breathtaking view. We also ate downtown at the Cabo Wabo, and it was excellent, as well as a place in the marina which was fine as well. The food at the pools was very good, and not overly expensive in our opinion. Drinks can be expensive, but, SB has happy hour from 3-5 every day, where you get 2/1, so, we did all our drinking then. Also, stock up on cokes and water to take back to the room. The room service menu also offers a box lunch for $15 that you have to order a day ahead, but, is easily enough food for 2 people, if you pick up an extra drink (it includes 2 sandwiches, etc). There are also a couple stores on property, the one by the lobby is the largest and least expensive of them.

Timeshare presentation: We were not bothered at all, but, when asked very politely when scheduling activities, we chose to do it as we had talked with many people who had received lots of money/incentives to do this. So, we did. We haven't gone to one of these in 10 years, but, thought we'd like to see how much they were. It took 4 hours, but, at the end we had a two for one spa coupon, so we had a couples massage (the best massage either of us had EVER had!!), 1/2 off all excursions, with one free, and $150 off our food/drink bill. All in all, we figured it saved us about $350, so, it was worth it. The one thing to know is that you need to know what activities you want to book and you have to pay cash for them right after the presentation if you want to take advantage, so, don't go the first day. Figure out what you want to do and take cash with you. We did not buy a timeshare, but, it seemed EVERYONE else did. They will come back again and again until we ended up with an offer for one week every other year for $7000, or one week each year for $9000. A deposit is required up front that day, and you have to decide right at that second for those prices. They're building a Ritz next door, we were told "unofficially", two golf courses, maybe a new marina, and shopping area in the next couple years. It could have been the best deal in the universe, but, we can't make that kind of decision on the spur of the moment like that. However, we loved this place enough to buy one. He did get very abrupt at the end telling us what a bad decision we were making, but, oh well. We did not have any problems getting our incentives or using them.

Spa: Spectacular, Fabulous, amazing.

Activities: We did a snorkeling catamaran trip, 1/2 day that included lunch. It was very nice, but, nothing compared with what we've done in Maui and Aruba, but, it was 1/4 the price of those places as well. We also took a glass bottom boat to Lover's beach the arc, and the sea lions. Be advised if you plan on getting off at lovers beach, they will stop quite a ways from shore and tell you to jump. We weren't prepared for this and chose not to do it. The wind was outrageous and the waves were just crazy, didn't really think abou that. Also took a sunset cruise which was ok.

Comparison with other places: We have been to Cancun, Maui, Oahu, Aruba, St. Thomas, St. Maarten as far as beach locales. The carribean is still my personal favorite, but, this and Maui are neck and neck, it depends which day you ask me. It was hard not to draw comparisons to Cancun, but, the hotel, and service were much better in our opinion, and also more expensive, so...There might be slightly less to do in Cabo if you don't like to fish, and there were much more Americanized places to eat in Cancun, which can be good and bad. We like to eat at local places. Maui is Maui, it's much more tropical and lush, it's hard to compare, they're just different. Remember, Cabo is desertous.

We would go to Cabo again and definitely stay here again in a heartbeat. Do not think twice about booking here or worry at all if you already have. Have a great time!

Stayed May 2006