“Sunset Beach... Paradise! Loved it!”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
colorado springs, CO
“Sunset Beach... Paradise! Loved it!”
Reviewed December 1, 2009

HI all! Thought I'd do a short little review on our trip to Cabo...
it was of course AMAZING!
We stayed at the GORGEOUS Sunset Beach Resort... wonderful service and a gorgeous place. It is so serene and the staff is great there. We really have no complaints. I thought the resort had so much to offer and the golf carts were SO no big deal... i thought they were fun... as did my 18 mo old daughter. The driving team- ALL so NICE and helpful! really- customer service all around there- AWESOME!
The Gen Manager there even took time to get back to a couple of requests I had... all was in order when we arrived...which is SO nice ( crib in room, high chair, etc!).
Only thing I would warn on - ... the store there/deli-- while SO helpful for last min things-- a little spendy. BUt that is just like any resort anywhere-- they up the prices - it is the norm. Anyway- we can't wait to go back and we'd stay there again 9at Sunset Beach) in a minute. I loved the free shuttle to their sister resort- The Rose... which was a more happening place... which we wanted a few days our of our week long trip. It is right on the beach and the beach was FUN and wonderful! lots going on... very cool!
We ate GREAT FOOD at all these places-- ( of course- thanks to Trappers List)
Desperados: Family friendly for sure. GREAT food, - great atmosphere... lil music playing and then a customer got up and sang and she sounded great. it was FUN!
Beach Bars: The office. it is fine... over priced- but they can do it i guess- it was packed. food was good!
Tabascos-- agree with Trapper-- our favorite. Lil more laid back... more affordable-- great food and just a chill place to go and relax, eat, drink and ppl watch and gaze out at the ocean. loved it!
Baja Cantina-- it was ok.. not my fave. we had an appetizer and drinks there. it was ok in my opinion.
Panchos: Cool lil place... they have a great rep there in Cabo-- everyone ( locals) were recommneding it. We enjoyed our food and the atmosphere.
We did eat at Sunset Beach some... it was a lil pricey-- (to be expcted being a resort.-- all USA resorts i go to are pricey too!) It was not as good as it was not the Mexcian food in town... but it was still good! I did love the mexican dishes i ate there... the shrimp tacos-- yum!
we just really relaxed pool side a lot and walked on the beach... did not do tons of activities as we had our 18 mo old with us. She had a BALL in the pool and we love her dearly.. she is our hearts.. but NEXT trip-- Just MOM n DAD are going... to really take in more of Cabo!
It is so Great down there!! Awww. the life.
oh- and timeshare ppl: - it is crazy the bartering they do to get you to go to a "presentation". the airport folks will totally get you and act like they are with a hotel or resort. they are not. up to you if you want to listen to a presentation. they'll give the farm away!
The sunset beach timeshare folks were VERY nice and our guy was very professional and courteous... we enjoyed him alot and almost bought. but thought better of it this time around.
ENJOY CABO! it rocks!
any questions- fire away!

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank woodsjwo-329

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,568)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 28, 2009

This is a gorgeous hotel. I have been here several times and the service and ammenities are excellent. I stayed in a junior suite which was large. It included one bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining area, and private patio. All the rooms have ocean views.

This hotel has one of the few private beaches which makes it a great secluded area to walk, jog, or just soak up the sun peacefully without the locals trying to sell you service or goods.

I love the onsite chapel. It plays chants during the day and is open from early morning to early evening. They offer a Christian service on Sunday.

They offer a free shuttle bus between their sister hotel - Pueblo Bonito Rose.

One con is that you cannot swim on the Pacific side of the peninsula, but the hotel offers at least 7 pools and the shuttle will take you to the Bonito Rose where you can swim.

Due to local laws, the free shuttle cannot drop you off in the town, but you can walk to downtown from the Bonito Rose.

Over the years this area has really developed. This is evident by the large shopping center that opened just outside of downtown with WalMart as the main anchor store.

The hotel can schedule a number of activities - land, water or air.

The best activity I have ever done was the whale tour. The whales migrate to Cabo to have their calfs. It is a spectular time. The fast speed boats are the best way to see the whales.

The spa services are pricey as they are in any luxury hotel. They offer a wide variety of therapies both traditional and some non-traditional.

The hotel also has several shops on the resort compound offering everything from jewlery, clothing, food, sundries, etc.

The hotel is built on the side of a mountain so the paths to the buildings are very steep. Walking the paths is a great workout. However, if you don't want to exert yourself walking, they offer 24 hour golf cart service. They drivers are very friendly and the golf cart rides can be like an adventure. The golf cart ride service is very timely and efficient.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank wanderingbutnotlost
San Diego
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Pueblo Bonito Sunset was an amazing place to stay. I've travelled the world and I really thought this was the best I've ever stayed in. The rooms were amazing, the staff is EXTREMELY helpful, the place is so clean. The golf cart guys were great and they have a lot of them so you never had to wait more than a few minutes.

The food was good, we ordered room service a few times. They would say it would be to the room in 45 minutes but it was always there much faster than that. I highly recommend the Noe's Screaming Hot Jalapenos. They were awesome. The shrimp tacos were great too. We took the shuttle over to the Pueblo Bonito Rose a few times and let the kids play in the ocean over there.

We had a blast. I highly reccomend this hotel. Nothing negative to say about the hotel and I'm really trying to come up with something. The pillows were even good. Oh, if you go buy groceries, go to Wal-Mart not Sam's or Costco so you don't have to buy everything in bulk. We rented Jet Ski's and did the Zip line and all the arrangements were made through the concierge. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank jrpeders
Kansas CIty, Missouri
Reviewed November 23, 2009

I want to start off by saying that this was our second stay at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach in a Junior Suite timeshare unit. This visit met and exceeded our previous stay. If you are looking for an amazing property that is laid back and somewhat secluded, yet easily accessible to the action in town by shuttle or car, this place is perfect! We feel it’s the best of both worlds.

We did rent a car for one day which was nice. I’d definitely recommend renting through the resort (they have an Avis rental car desk) if you only want a car for a day or two. It was super easy and convenient. Most other days we took the free shuttle to the Rose and spent quite a bit of time in town and at PB Blanco. I love that they work with their sister resorts and offer this service to guests.

The resort itself is gorgeous. Great views, great rooms, and amazing pools. In fact, each pool is uniquely perched throughout the topography. We’ve been to all the pools, but our favorite is the pool by building 27 as well as the sky pool. The pool food was great and we ate there several times throughout the week. If you’re ever at the pool for breakfast, be sure to order the breakfast burrito…it was very yummy. And, the pool happy hour is a good value with tasty fruity drinks. We also ate at The Bistro and La Nao. Overall, La Nao is quite tasty, but a little pricy. Between our two visits, the Bistro has been hit or miss for us. We love that there is a deli on site too. It’s nice to be able to pick up a quick sandwich or snack here if you’re in a hurry. There's also a full on-site grocery store under construction right now, so that will be great when it's finished.

Getting around the resort was pretty easy once you have your bearings. You have the option of the carts taking you everywhere, which is nice if you have a far way to go. In our case, we walked almost everywhere since we enjoy getting exercise on vacation. There’s also plenty of room to walk the beach till you’re hearts content! Even though there’s no ocean swimming here, we love the fact that there are no vendors on this beach. Just you and the ocean!

Overall, we had a wonderful second stay at Sunset Beach. The service was pretty consistent throughout the resort. The areas that did the best in my opinion were the pool waiters and the hosts and wait staff at the restaurants. Everyone else was super friendly with the slight exception of the front check-in desk. Both times we’ve stayed here we haven’t felt that warm welcome at check-in. It is the first impression of the resort so I hope this improves a little. Other than that, I have no complaints…our stay was truly amazing. We will definitely be back… this place really knows how to spoil you!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Grey604
Reno, NV.
Reviewed November 22, 2009

This is a beautiful, huge resort, carved into a hillside with great views of the Pacific. During our trip we saw whales from our veranda daily. The property is beautifully maintained, the room, a junior suite, was spotless, and tastefully decorated. There are several restaurants on site, and from poolside grill to La Frida, the high end restaurant, we had nothing but excellent food. There are , I think, four pools, including the Sky Pool which is perched above the entire property and affords wonderful views, especially at sunset. The service at the pools is fast and friendly. The staff was almost universally friendly, the exceptions being the clerks at the market who were always surly.
One of the problems with this resort is it's distance from town. The resort offers a shuttle to one of it's other properties, the Pueblo Bonito Rose, where you can use the pool and swimmable beach. It's near downtown, but too far to walk to town. There is also a shuttle to Pueblo Bonito Pacifica near this hotel. So you are somewhat of a captive audience to this group of resorts, which is, of course, the way they planned it. The resort has everything you need, at a steep price. I don't necessarily mean food and drinks, we expect that in Mexico, but food at the market is expensive, as in 20 USD for a bag of Starbucks coffee, 12 USD for a sixer of Corona, etc. The boutiques, farmacia, and souvenir places also were high priced.
Being built into the hillside creates logistical problems for guests, unless you happen to be a mountain goat. So the resort has a rather large fleet of gas powered carts that can carry up to seven people, that they use to transport guests up and down the hill, up and down the hill, rinse and repeat. So when you want to go somewhere on the property, you go to a cart stop and wait. Or walk. During busy periods, (always when we were there), the place is like the Autobahn, and the smell of exhaust is pungent, especially when dining outside at Le Bistro or La Frida, as thay sit above the busiest cart stop.
If you are a young person hoping to hang with other young, hip, beautiful people....... go to the Melia. I haven't seen this many fossils since I visited the La Brea tar pits! And not a defibrillator in sight! And if you think you'll escape by going to the Pacifica down the road, forget it. It's worse! I would recommend this hotel to someone who appreciates good food and nice sunsets, and who likes to be in bed by 8:00. It wasn't a great fit for us, and we won't return.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jeepboy1
California
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I went to Cabo San Lucas for Spring Break, March-April 2009 . My friends and I are young (21 years old) This is a resort for a family, couples or group of friends. At first me and my girlfriends were a bit scared since the news was telling everyone to stay away from Mexico because of all the violence and drug lords.. but my friends and I went anyways!! WE HAD THE TIme OF OUR LIVES!! We stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Resort and Spa.. and it was incredible!! We decided to stay there becasue its not at the center of all the chaos... its actually on a mountain with incredible views!!! Every room in Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach has a view towadrs the ocean, its breathtaking!!! The pictures on the website dont do justice.. this place is enormous.. its almost like a mini city. The people that worked there were so friendly & always willing to help. We had the cheapest room there and it was wonderful.. granite floors, fluffy comfy beds.. a great bathroom and amazing balcony with a wonderful view. The food was great.. cant complain about anything!! There are about 6 different pools.. the infinity sky pool is the best one, sitting on top of the mountain you can see the sunset... (make sure you order the Ceviche and Chipotle wings, theyr out of this world!!) The food is really not expensive, its really about the same as the US, plates for as little as $8 to the $50 Brunch with all you can drink Mimosas. The resort is about 15 min from downtown, but theres a FREE shuttle that takes you every half hour until 10pm so its great!! You also have access to The Pueblo Bonito Rose Resort (sister hotel) Over all i would say.. dont spend your money any where else, if you book your trip a few months in advance you will get a great deal just like we did ($540 for one week!!!!!) This is a 5 star resort!!! People who said anything negative, are otu of their mind, theyr probly bitter and never satisfied!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Patsy_Cali
Salem, SC
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach is like no other resort and it deserves all the rewards that it has received. The resort is spectacular and breathtaking from wherever you might be on the hillside. I cannot believe that people could ever criticize this resort and the ones that do most likely would not be happy in most places. The rooms are very comfortable and the service is within five to ten minutes with a followup call to make sure you received what you requested. The pool food is excellent, room service beef tenderlion awesome, the italian buffet was the best ever, and the Bistro is reasonably priced. We never had to wait long for a cart and the drivers always had a smile on their face. We had a grandchild with us this time and there are several pools that kids can enjoy along with the kids club options.We were in Cabo about five years ago when a hurricane/tropical storm filled the big pool with sand and the hillside washed down so that there was no exit road out of Pueblo Bonito. Within two days, a big crew with front end loaders dug out the road and the pool was dug out by hand. I will never forget this and how quickly the resort was up and running.!!!! This made it clear to us that we bought a timeshare at the right place. My two grown children and grandchildren rotate times they come with us to Pueblo Bonito and it is their favorite place to vacation. The long trip from the east coast is well worth it and one we look forward to making each year.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family