“Great Two Week Vacation”

Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #27 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Portland, Oregon
“Great Two Week Vacation”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spent two wonderful weeks at this beautiful property and highly recommend it. The issues brought up here on previous reviews, were not experienced by us.

We arrived on a Tuesday and our driver from Cabo Trans stopped at the Mega so we could grab a grocery cart full of provisions. Apparently the Grand Mayan sharks take Tuesdays off because we were not stopped even once and we never saw them!!

Our reservations were through an RCI trade and there were no issues at check in – Ivon was lovely and very nice. Julio, our cart driver that night, was also great. We had four suitcases and a large amount of groceries. He handled it all with ease!

We had two rooms, a two bedroom with a hot tub on patio and a one bedroom both in building 23. The rooms were well kept, with just minor flaws, such as a couple scuff marks on tile floor and a couple chips in the wooden furniture, all to be expected in hotel rooms. The beds were quite comfortable as they have feather beds on top. The bathroom in the master was lovely, with built-in shelves & drawers and the showers were large and water pressure was great. The views were spectacular and as the weather was less than Mexico-like (low 70’s, overcast and windy on most days) the hot tub on the patio was awesome! The hot tub was cleaned (almost completely drained and refilled) several times during our stay and was working perfectly the entire stay. Marisol, our housekeeper, was outstanding! She took great pride in her cleaning and spent over 40-45 minutes each day cleaning our two bedroom suite.

We made many of our meals in the two bedroom suite and the kitchen was big enough for two people to move around and cook. There is not an oven, but we did have a four burner cooktop and a large microwave. The table was large enough for all seven of us to sit around and there were enough chairs, using one of the bar chairs for the four year-old. We ate at the bistro twice, good service and decent food both times. Also ordered room service once, on a Friday night, and the food was delivered within 30 minutes and it was still was warm, which is a plus considering how large this property is.

The main pool was our main hangout during the day. We had Alejandro as our server several times and he was great. We had to claim chairs before 7:45am, as they go quickly. The sky pool always had chairs available up until about 10:30-11am.

We did take two excursions, both through Cabo Expeditions, who picked us up at the resort and brought us back – Swimming with the Whale Sharks and Parasailing. Both were fabulous experiences! The whale sharks are truly remarkable creatures and a once in a lifetime swim. As for parasailing, if you go during the whale season, try to take the 10:30 tour, as 11am is ‘Whale Time!’ We had two whales who breached in front of us at least 7 times each, awesome! There was a professional photographer on board with us and he got several amazing, National Geographic-quality, photos of the whales. Needless to say we bought the photo cd of our trip!

The only issue we had at the resort was a mix-up in the rooms. Upon check in we received the keys to both of our rooms and I made it clear our guests were arriving five days later. I filled out a room card with their names and told Ivon our guests would add a credit card to that room upon their arrival. When our guests arrived, we went up to their room and the keys didn’t work. The cart driver said he would go back to the desk and see what was wrong. Long story short, housekeeping alerted the front desk there was no one in the room and they put it back into the inventory and there were other people in that room! It was a hassle and embarrassing for me, but they were able to find another room, and all was ok. The view from the new room was not as nice as the one they were supposed to have, but lessoned learned – put luggage in your empty room and make it look like someone is there! The front desk was very apologetic and sent us a bottle of champagne and fruit to say sorry. It was handled very nicely and respectfully.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room, as all have fantastic views and are well equipped.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Brenda V
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Badney,

We feel flattered after reading such a nice review, we really enjoy welcoming people with positive attitude like you. It is great to hear you had an enjoyable and fun stay at Sunset Beach and that you could also made some excursions during your stay in Cabo, we really appreciate your tips that are very helpful for our future guests.

Hope to welcome you and your party anytime soon!

Jose Ernesto Coppel, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,602)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Where to begin: This hotel is an immensely huge property. It is not located within walking distance of town, and is situated on the pacific side of the ocean where you can not swim. This is hotel is ideal for couples who want to spend quiet time together or for a singles who want to get away from everything. The hotel has several restaurants, however the room we had boasted a full size kitchen which we took advantage of, permitting us to cook many meals in the room and feast on our veranda, overlooking the pacific ocean. We sited dozens of whales from our veranda.

Upon arrival, the hotel's main lobby was quite impressive. After we checked in, we were shuttled via golf cart to our room. We reserved a one bedroom, executive suite on the beach, though there are rooms situated at high elevation on the cliff, if you prefer that vantage point. Our suite was absolutely huge: Spacious living room and wonderful private veranda, and huge bedroom with a giant master bathroom boasting an oversized tub and separate shower. In addition, there was a second, large bathroom with a shower. The full size kitchen stocked with cookware was awesome. We went to wall mart and costco and stocked up with wine, champagne and gourmet food. I made meals such as rib eye smothered with mushrooms in a cabernet reduction sauce served with salad and potato. We were able to find wonderful provisions at the stores we went to.

We dined several times in the restaurants, which were very good. The tempura fish tacos served at the poolside restaurant were "divine". The wood fired pizza's and wine served at the restaurant near the beach were wonderful and well priced. We did not have a bad meal at any of the restaurants at the hotel. Fish dishes were fantastic!

There are many pools at the hotel, however our favorite was the main pool near the beach and the sky pool, located at a high elevation. There are several hot tubs as well, and we enjoyed the hot tub near the beach where we could watch whales breaching!

I do not advise singles or solo travelers to go to this resort, as it is quiet and a ways from town. There is no night life at this resort. This is a perfect resort for couples or anyone wanting a truly relaxing, quiet, non-eventful vacation. This is great place to vegetate by one of the many pools, or on your private veranda! The sunsets are amazing! The only negatives I found at this resort are the facts that you can not swim in the ocean, and you have to take a taxi to town which is about $30 round trip. The other negative is that the resort is so huge that we had to call for a golf cart shuttle every time we wanted to go to the lobby or to the sky pool and the ride was so windy that a few times I got motion sickness. I spoke to many other guests who also complained about this.

In summery, I would return if longing for a very serene, stress decompressing stay at at a beautiful, quiet resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mama_dee_mama
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Spent a week here and it just wasn't enough. This resort was an amazing place. The sky pool was a great spot to have a few drinks and watch the whales jump in the ocean. My only complaint is the extremely difficult time security gave us when we tried to bring guests onto the resort.

Pros
- Beautiful room
- Sky pool with awesome views
- Quality room service

Cons
- Ocean is too rough to swim in
- Security is ridiculously strict
- Security is ridiculously strict

Room Tip: If you're staying there make sure to upgrade to one of the executive suites. They have a terrac...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank DonnieBB
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We spent our first week at Pueblo Bonito at Sunset Beach last December and fell in love with it! In fact we have already booked another week for this coming October as well as a week for our son as a college graduation gift!
The resort is beautifully appointed with beautiful public rooms, wonderful restaurants and bars and large spacious accommodations, all of which have unobstructed ocean views! It's a quiet resort so if you're looking for the bar scene or loud parties you'll have to use the free hourly shuttle they provide that drives you into Cabo San Lucus. I can't speak to that because we were so happy staying at the resort we only left twice but only to visit one of their sister resorts, Pueblo Bonito Pacifica, a holistic and very swanky resort!

Room Tip: One bedroom units are equipped with 2 full baths!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ruthie C
San Diego, California
Reviewed March 14, 2013

As you can see, I've been visiting Cabo San Lucas for many years and have loyally stayed that the Pueblo Bonito Resorts since 2004. Originally, I started to PB Rose and in more recent years have visited Pueblo Bonito Sunset as well. My last review of PB Sunset in Feb 2012 gave quite a bit of praise. I've always enjoyed my visits to the resort and felt that the Sunset offered more solace with its private beach and majestic sunsets. There are many things that the property continues to provide that are excellent. Service, as many people note, is among the best. However, there are also things that have changed more recently that as owners has been quite frowned upon. I've visited PB Sunset twice in the last 5 months and my first visit back in late October was extremely disappointing. I failed to write a review because I really didn't have many positive things to say and was saddened that one of my beloved vacation spots has fallen so far from its glory days. After visiting again just 2 weeks ago, many of our concerns had been addressed. On our previous trip in October, the main pool was in dire need of repair. Several chunks of tile were missing making the pool look quite sad and placing some guests at risk for cutting their feet and hands on sharp tiles that were missing. The grotto that has the jets didn't work the entire 2 weeks we were there! In addition, the hot tub back jets never worked either. Many of those amenities that guests come to appreciate and want to enjoy were fixed in our recent trip in early March. To our delight, the pool had been redone and all the jets were working. The only thing that the hotel could continue to improve upon is the hot tub. The hot tub is never really that hot and many times it's quite dirty. Even though I watch people clean it many mornings, it seems that it's very poorly maintained. The pool, on the other hand, looks quite pristine but for some reason they have a difficult time maintaining cleanliness in the hot tub. Pablo, a maintenance man, who use to the clean the main pool use to do an excellent job. He was always pleasant in the mornings and always hummed and sang when he worked. We've been told that he was moved up to clean the sky pool but we miss him dearly at the main pool. I hope he may come back some day! Things that continue to be great are the sun rises. Of course, PB Sunset is located at a great spot where you can see the sun rise and the sun set everyday. They are lovely... mornings are so beautiful, it's amazing to see nature at its best! You can also see many whales just off the shore that swim by and even dolphin pods. Service continues to be something PB Sunset excels at. Angel Lopez Ventura at the main pool is one of the best servers we've ever had! He by far, makes our visit so pleasant! Angel is always happy and even when he's not our server, he stills stops by daily to visit us and say hello! In addition, Benito at the La Nao restaurant is also great! Benito and Angel will always help me learn more Spanish and teach me phrases I want to know. I've come to regard these gentleman as friends and look forward to seeing them each time I visit. Food is still pretty good at the hotel. The main pool's food is probably the most consistent food we've received at the hotel. Prices have gone up on some times, quite a bit in fact, which is a bit disappointing for guests not participating in the all-inclusive. I do understand the benefit of the all-inclusive for many guests and families and its appeal, but I find it disappointing that guests who do not participate cannot go to La Nao any longer to have breakfast a la carte. My understanding when all-inclusive took place was La Nao was overrun with orders. I believe for all-inclusive guests they should only have the buffet offered in La Nao, but I think the resort should still allow guests to come to La Nao restaurant and order breakfast a la carte. The buffet prices have also increased within the visit in late Oct to the visit in early March. Breakfast buffet increased by $3 per person. We also attended the Argentinian night which back in October was excellent therefore we decided we'd want to go again in early March. We were quite disappointed the 2nd time and will no longer go to Argentinian night at the hotel. The price was $48/person and many of the meats were overcooked and dry. Our previous trip was so great we relished going again but unfortunately didn't have the same experience to enjoy again. One thing I always find disappointing at the buffet is the desserts. The desserts always look so great but they never taste as good. I'm not really sure why because the hotel has some great desserts in their deli. They have banana pie, coconut pie, carrot cake, even cheesecake in the deli that are really quite delicious but they never have these offerings at the buffet. They also always run out of desserts so none of the placards for the desserts match what's actually available for you to eat. The resort should consider adding the desserts from the deli to their buffet. They also took away all the icecream bars in the deli. Now they only offer Haagen Daaz icecream, which is great, but I do miss greatly the variety of the icecream bars that was previously available.

Let's proceed now with some major issues that have occurred or could be potentials for concern. There's been a rumor that the cabanas that the resort so generously offers will be removed once they are no longer functional. These cabanas are excellent and well-made. I understand they are pretty expensive but they serve a huge functional purpose for guests who cannot handle the direct sunlight that Sunset is so exposed too. If this rumor is true that they will not be maintaining the cabanas, that would be a huge loss to guests and owners and would definitely detour me from wanting to continue staying at PB Sunset.
My biggest and most frustrating concern for the last 2 visits has been the activities provided at the main pool. For years, Israel Hernandez (now doing great things at the front desk) and Miguel ran the activities desk like a well-oiled machine. With only 2 of them, everything was timely and professional. Recently, there's been many changes with management and 2 new activities people came into the picture: Sahara and Brent. My visit in October was inundated with many challenges with Brent and his lack of professionalism. He is a very nice young guy, but his attitude and his condescension towards guests is very distasteful. I had written a 2 page formal complaint to the hotel during my last visit and my brother-in-law had written a review on trip advisor. GMs stated Brent was being replaced yet when I returned in early March, he was still there. He had made some small improvements, but then again, they had just hired 2 MORE activities people. Many owners come around the same time and we all agreed we were extremely disappointed with the activities. Previously, Israel and Miguel came in at 9am. One would conduct an activity in the morning like stretching or power walking and the other would be at the towel booth greeting guests. Now, the activities people don't start until 10am. They use to have beach volleyball every day at 11am. Now they rotate it every other day between 11am and 4pm. This is a poor idea because it gets quite windy at PB Sunset. Having the set 11am beach volleyball time makes sense because you'll likely have less wind. It always gets windier in the evening so having it at 4pm is more difficult. The previous schedule use to have beach vb every day at 11am and then 3 times a week in addition to the 11am time at 4pm. Therefore, you 3 days a week you had beach vb 2 times a day. Also, they use to have Mexican lottery/bingo everyday. That was a guest favorite. Now they only have it 2-3 times a week. I've been coming long enough to know that change is inevitable. However, the activity services being provided is subpar. Some guests who've never had the pleasure of enjoying activities with Miguel and Israel don't know how much they missed out on. I actually started playing beach volleyball from learning from Israel and Miguel. Nowadays, Brent and all the other activities people barely know how to play. Previously Miguel and Israel would go over guidelines to teach guests how to play, explain rules and safety guidelines to keep guests safe. When I'm playing, I end up doing that. When I was there in late October, the sand was hot enough that I ended up wetting the sand everyday because Sahara and Brent were always late and never around. Israel and Miguel built quite a legacy so I know that it would be a hard position to fill after them, but the people the hotel has hired as replacements aren't even doing 30% of the job. They untimely, and many times they cut the activities short. Most activities are to go an hour but many times they end around 30 min. Beach volleyball in the afternoon is never past 430pm. There were days that Miguel and Israel stayed until 530pm to play with guests. I don't see Sahara much but I know she's in charge of the rest. None of them really care to improve or have guests get involved. There were days where there were too many people to participate in activities. Now, there are days when there aren't enough because the activities people just don't care enough. I know that some of the activities people participate in the themed dinner nights so perhaps that's part of the problem. They shouldn't have people doing so many of both things. Personally, the only person I think that is good enough to stay is Susie. She's quite new, but she's being trained by incompetent people. Israel Hernandez, who's still around, should be consulted to help them find new people. I'm not sure what happened to Miguel but I was told it had something to do with Sahara. He'd been there for over 7 years and I can't see how he'd suddenly need to be let go. Miguel leaving was one of the biggest loses the hotel could have made. Perhaps they don't care enough about this, but activities is one of the things many guests and owners have come to love and appreciate during our stays at the resort. I've raved to friends back home and guests I've sent to the hotel to look for these people. It's extremely disheartening and disappointing that this has become such a blemish on the property. I hope that my next visit will reaffirm PB Sunset to greatness.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sandy Y
Sleepy Eye, Minnesota
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We just returned from a week in Cabo, stayed in a 1bedroom, bldg 16 3rd floor, very beautiful, everything you need is there.beds were comfy with pillow top mattresses mini kitchen very nice , 2bathrooms& nice patio. Every unit has an ocean view, as this is built on the side on the mountain, you call for a cart & they come pick up & take you where you want to go within the resort, many pool to choose from, adult pools ect, with swim up bars. You cannot swim in the ocean there, we did the all inclusive, the food was good, no complaints.you can take a free shuttle to their sister resorts, the Rose' & LaBlank, you can swim in the ocean there , very nice resort s too. If you take any excursions, the prices go up March 1st.we were very happy with this resort & will return again, next year we will try the Rosé' just because its closer to downtown & the marina.we did take the time share presentation & got discounts on things to do & received $200 in spa credit & $50 restaurant credit. It wasn't that bad.

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view, if you want to be buy a pool just ask!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ibby_11
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We spent one week at the Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. Stayed in a one bedroom executive suite. The views are excellent. You can watch the whales from your balcony. Skyview pool views were excellent and so were the pina colodas. The food at the restaurants at the resort were great. Golf carts will take you to anyplace on the resort. If you want to go to town you can take the shuttle bus to Pueblo Bonito Rose and walk to town.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple