“Say hi to Fernando.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
knoxville, tn
“Say hi to Fernando.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2006

My wife and I just got back Sunday May the 28th from our honeymoon. Villa La Estancia is incredible. They were doing construction on the swim-up bar but were finishing up the day we left. Don't eat at the hotel. The food is good but expensive and you'll miss some of the best mexican and baja seafood you'll ever have a chance to try. You can bring you're own food and drinks to the pool just make sure they are in cans or plastic cups. Daquiris and Margaritas are $8 each. Ouch!! The rooms are awesome. Fernando will take care of you by the pool. He's a cool cat. The so called battle for chairs by the pool is a complete myth. We went to the pool at about 10:00 or 11:00 each day and never had a problem finding pool chairs. Rooms look just like in the pictures on the website.

8 Thank wake'n'powder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2006

Just got back from a 5 day stay at Villa La Estancia. Everything is beautiful there. Did not stay on the construction side so I don't know anything about the noise! We stayed in a one bedroom villa which was plenty big for 2 adults and one child. Had a partial view of the ocean and a shared balcony. The food there is very expensive. We only ate lunch there twice during our stay. We cooked breakfast every morning in our room. They have a market, deli, and several shops across the street within walking distance. Everyone there went out of their way to make sure you were taken care of. Everyone is very friendly. Fernando is the pool guy that you need to find if you need anything! He is very helpful and speaks good English. He is known as the "pool patrol". Never really had a hard time getting chairs expect for early afternoon. People start putting items in the chairs to hold them starting around 10:00 or so. I would definately go back and stay there!

12 Thank christylep
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Villa La Estancia. The place is georgous. The grounds are immaculate as well as the rooms. We booked through Expedia, the most reasonable room. I think it was called the European suite. After reading some reviews about sharing a balcony, I called them directly requesting, if possible, to get our own balcony. Well, when we got there, we were pleasantly surprised. We had a ground level room with a georgous view of the water, jacuzzi tub in the room, and our own private balcony. By the way, that is the only downfall that I saw was sharing the balconies. The resort is very quiet and romantic.

Villa La Estancia is also in the perfect location. If you need a little more action, it's just steps away. We ate breakfast next door at the Palmar, which is really reasonable and has a nice view of the ocean. You can walk along the beach and stop at the Office for shrimp tacos!!!! Delicious. You can't go wrong with shrimp in Cabo!!! Water taxis are a nice way to get downtown. It was only $3 a person for us. Taxis downtown are about $7.00 a ride too.

I thought the locals were adorable. Yeah, they come at you from every direction but they are very appreciative and happy. Especially when you go downtown, they are very creative with their approach. All you have to do is smile and say, No thanks!!!

Everywhere took dollars. Most places credit cards. Everyone spoke English. The only problem we had was when my husband got a haircut at the Palmar. She didn't speak English. It was pretty bad. But then again, who gets a haircut in Mexico??? It's something we can laugh about now!!!

There's not many places I would say I would go back to. I think there is too much to see in life, but I would definitely love to go back to the Villa La Estancia.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bradenton, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2006

My husband and I have just returned from a week's stay at the beautiful Villa La Estancia. We shared a two bedroom villa on the sixth floor with some friends from PA. The villa was immaculate and had everything we needed. We were surprised at how large it was. The only disappointing things about the villa itself were that it didn't have wireless access (apparently, due to construction that is going on near the resort) and limited TV channels. We were able to get wireless access from the lobby, however. Also, our cell phones didn't work, which meant having to make international calls - one 5-minute call was $28 USD. The only other negative thing I can think of is that natives walk up and down the beach trying to sell jewelry, hats, blankets, etc. The La Estancia appeared to have been the only resort that roped off a section of the beach for its guests in order to keep the vendors at bay; however, they will stand at the rope and yell to you to get your attention. After a few days of saying "no gracias" to the same vendors over and over again, it got rather annoying. You basically have to be rude and ignore them.

The breakfast buffet at the resort was delicious, but very expensive! ($30 USD per person) as are most things in Cabo. Fortunately, we had the Gold Card and got a 15% discount. I highly recommend trying to get a Gold Card by either sitting through a time share spiel or looking at a villa that is for sale. The Gold Card can be used at the La Estancia as well as the resort next door, including the Spa (I highly recommend getting a deep muscle tissue massage from Juliette); several restaurants in Cabo; and the shops on site at the La Estancia including the grocery store (only on Tuesdays though). The food you can order poolside or while relaxing on the beach was also very good. The drink speciality of Cabo is the Miami Vice - a combination of a strawberry daiquiri and a pina colada.

I would suggest taking a lot of small change for tips. When we got cash out of an ATM we expected USD but got pesos instead. I would also suggest that if you have a connection flight back in to the US that you give yourself plenty of time to go through customs. You will have to get your luggage and check it back in. We had a little over an hour between flights and barely made it.

Overall, the La Estancia is a wonderful place to stay while in Cabo. I would definitely stay there again.

15 Thank g8rnparrish
Park City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2006

My husband and I spent a week at the Villa La Estancia last month to celebrate our anniversary. We've been to Cabo before and stayed in the corridor at the Sheraton. Decided to try something different this year - so glad we did! The resort is absolutely beautiful - the beach is swimmable - every room has a balcony with a view of the ocean and Los Arcos. The rooms are extremely well appointed with granite counter tops and marble clad showers. Great shower heads. Fluffy towels. We booked a unit that had a separate living room, kitchen and a second bathroom. We ate breakfast in our room every morning, which saved a few bucks. We spent all of our time down on the beach. We always were able to get lounge chairs. Everyone makes such a big deal about putting their towels out at 7:00 a.m. to ensure a lounge chair around the pool. It's not that bad. I'd rather be at the beach anyway. Lots of activities if you want them. And the food - Dining in Cabo is expensive. We travel quite extensively, usually in Europe, and I have to say that one of the best meals I have been treated to was at Edith's! It was fabulous!! It cost about as much as any upscale meal in the states or abroad. We also quite enjoyed Romeo et Julieta's. Ruth's Chris is never disappointing. For lunch everyday we went to the little sandwich shop on site and split sandwiches. They were great! Also rented a car one day and drove to Todos Santos for lunch at the Hotel California. Loved it! The hotel is about the funkiest place I've ever seen and I wish we could have stayed there one night. Also enjoyed wandering through the shops in town. Anyway - I've never really been one for Mexico, but I love Cabo - expecially the Villa La Estancia. Can't wait to go back.

6 Thank HeidiP
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2006

I booked for this hotel directly at their home page. I find the price to be expensive compared to what they offer. However, i must say that is a relaxing place and service people are very kind. My advise, use the hotel only for night time or pool, DO NOT eat there since it is very expensive. Just rent a car at the airport (NOT AT CABO) and drive to non turistic areas in where you'll find excellent food for very cheap prices recommend "Mariscos Mazatlan" . Do NOT use vallet parking at the hotel and park in front of the next hotel facilities, vallet parking are too slow and sometimes gets more than 20 minutes to receive the car! For someone who goes regularly to caribbean beaches in Aruba, Curacao, Venezuela, or any other island in the area, the beaches at Cabo are just the worst and the famous arc is just a poor repetition of many other more impressive natural formations anywhwre else in the caribbean, so do not expect anything special. On the other hand if you've never been in the caribbean you will certainly enjoy Cabos.
FINAL IMPORTANT ADVISE! They will try to catch you up for a condo unique selling opportunity, forget it, is a nightmare, 3 or 4 hours of chatting taking you off your vacation time! Tell'em you are sick and want to rest!

8 Thank corrysp
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2006

When we booked our room, we were specifically promissed that we would not be on the ground level. Of course, when we checked in we were given a ground floor room between the pool and the construction site. We did not have anything in writing to "confirm" our preference. The Hotel accused our travel agent of making an error. In fairness we were given a different room the next afternoon.

The general attitude of the management is "you can't get there from here." Everything is difficult and the explanations make little sense. To give you some flavor, I will tell you a typical story. My wife asked the concierge where she could exchange dollars for pesos. The concierge said that he (the concierge could do it). My wife reaches into her purse and takes out $20 dollars to exchange, and he says "I cannot do it, I don't have any money. You will have to go to the Hotel next door." My wife looked around to see if she was on candid camera or being "punk'd."

The rooms are great. The pools are great. They are warm. There are jucuzzi's everywhere. The food is not great and is very, very expensive (as it is everywhere in Cabo). The beach is nice. Take the boat rides. Use sunscreen, we got burned badly. There is major, major construction next door. There is no sleeping in possible.

Don't use the National Car Rental at the Hotel. The guy at the counter is an idiot. If I did not have a printout of my confirmation I would not have gotten my car. As it was, he tried to overcharge me.

Bottom line . . . . the facilities are great. The service is not up to the prices. The restaurants are expensive. Great weather. Beautiful location. I would not, however, go back.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member