“Beautiful Rooms but Poor Food”

Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos
Ranked #8 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Our room was beautifully decorated and we had wonderful amenities - plush towels and bathrobes as well as high end toiletries. The grounds with palm trees and tropical plants were gorgeously maintained. The pools had comfortable water temperatures as well as comfortable lounge chairs. We found all the staff friendly and helpful. When we arrived late at the hotel (10pm) and wanted to have a meal the restaurant staff was very accommodating even though we showed up 15 minutes before closing. Our only complaint was the food in the majority of the restaurants were of poor to fair quality. We were very disappointed with the food in the La Casona restaurant especially since the food did not reflect the prices we paid for them. We ate many of our meals in restaurants outside the hotel because we did not enjoy many of our meals. Other than that I would stay at the La Estancia again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JohnM8214
Management_VLE, Gerente at Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Dear. JohnM8214:

We appreciated the time you took to share your experience with others , please accept our apologies for the inconvenient, I will share your comments with The restaurant and we hope to have the opportunity to host you once again on your next visit to Cabo.

Kind Regards,
Rene Van Balderen

Write a ReviewReviews (1,668)

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Our daughter found this place searching for accommodations for our family's Thanksgiving holiday trip to Cabo San Lucas. We had a spacious 1 bdrm. 3 bath condo that was beautifully decorated. The pool was spacious & the water temperature perfect. And the beach absolutely gorgeous. Our view was spectacular, marred only by the arrival of 2 cruise ships the first day we were there that anchored off shore, blocking our view of the famous "arch". They arrived about 8am & stayed till about 6pm. Fortunately they were gone when we went into town for dinner. And they weren't there every day. The staff was at our disposal 24/7. Food & drink service was available at both the pool & the beach. Our room was cleaned every other day, including fresh linens & towels. The restaurant on the property was excellent. We will never stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Kathy H
Management_VLE, Gerente at Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Dear: Kathy H :

Thank very much for prefer Villa La Estancia, is a pleasure to know that you and your family have a nice time with us , will be waiting for you at your next vacation .
See you soon…

Cordially,

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Location is the best Cabo has to offer. We have stayed here many times and never had a problem however this last time there was a lot of noise coming from a vacant dirt lot adjacent to the hotel. The locals partied throughout the night and took part in drag racing till the early morning hours. It made us feel unsafe and we were quite surprised that the Hotel has not taken the appropriate action with local law enforcement to stop it. We talked to some local people at the beach and they indicated that it goes on almost every night and the police and local hotels do nothing about it. We will reconsider staying here again unless they do something about it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Sterling33

Dear: Sterling3 :

Thank you for choosing Villa La Estancia, Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience during your stay, this is the first time we hear about this situation and thank you for let us know, Be sure actions will be taken to prevent and avoid these unfortunate shortcomings, We hope you give us the opportunity to host you once again on your next vacation.

Cordially,

Reviewed November 25, 2013

The hotel room was gorgeous with views of Land's End. Pool and bar were fantastic. However, we found the staff quite impersonal and the food less than desired (especially for the high prices - we didn't get the all-inclusive). There was no sense of fun or personality here, but if you are just looking to stay some place and not deal with people, it's fine. Wifi was impossible to get in our room.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Monique173
Management_VLE, Gerente at Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear: Monique17...:

We offer you our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. Do believe we will be working on improving the service offer to our valuable guests. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again and change this past experience.

Respectfully,

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Was fortunate to have an early birthday celebration at Villa La Estancia! After spending a lot of time trying to decide where in the Cabo/Medano Beach area to stay, I have NO regrets about this decision.

The resort was well situated with stunning views of Land's End in the distance. We could walk the beach, though a tough walk at this time of year, down to the restaurants and marina or hop in our car at night to travel to the strip area for entertainment and other restaurant options.

The room itself was a 2-bedroom suite with a large living area and connecting balconies. I loved waking up and walking out on the balcony for the Land's End views. Everyone had room to stretch out in the suite or walk around on the immaculate grounds. We thoroughly enjoyed evenings in the hot tub while overlooking the grounds and beach off in the distance. We could have coffee and pancakes at the cafe in the a.m. and have it charged to our room or whip up a quick breakfast ourselves after stocking up at Wal-Mart. The kitchen was well stocked and we were able to easily cook up at least one breakfast and one dinner with the available equipment and dishes.

I loved the bath products and the bath areas. Again, there was plenty of room to stretch out which was important as there were 4 of us staying together. The front desk and valet staff were extremely helpful as were the owners I rented from.

I would definitely stay here again!

My only downside were the ants that kept marching around the kitchen area during our visit. I've come to expect that no beach/tropical spot will be completely bug free, but not in the kitchen...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MoniD1
Management_VLE, Director General at Villa La Estancia Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2013

Dear: MoniD1:

We thank you for your kind comments and choosing Villa La Estancia as the ideal place to celebrate this special occasion. We hope to have the opportunity to host you once again on your future vacations.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Came to Cabo for a girls weekend and couldn't have picked a better place for the price. Rooms were beautiful and the service all around was amazing. Seriously, the nicest people ever work here. I couldn't believe how amazing the spa was or the beach access. Sure, you have to battle the beach peddlers but there's a rope that keeps them at a safe distance while relaxing by the ocean. We loved this beach area so much we never really sat by the pool except once for a lunch. But the pool and pool bar were lovely as well.

Villa la Estancia is one of three sister resorts and this one is perfectly in the middle of the other two. When staying here you enjoy the privileges of all the resorts which opens up the food and fun opportunities.

Each of the three resorts is a little different. If I had to give my opinion based on my experience the first resort seemed to be more for the young family and had a pirate ship shaped restaurant. Villa la estancia seemed to me to be more for couples or those between 30-50. My friend went to the third resort and reported a slightly different decor and thought maybe the target consumer was slightly older or even European. To be clear, anyone is welcome everywhere. We just picked the best of the three for us.

My only complaint was the food taste of seafood and beef. It wasn't for lack of trying or poor service. But the meat I had at the pool (flank steak I think) looked amazing. And I really wanted to eat every bite. But the taste was....funky. I thought perhaps it was just me so we gave the main restaurant another shot for dinner. We had a few appetizers. The tuna sashimi I believe or carpaccio. Anyway, it too had a fabulous presentation but just didn't taste right.

If I had to guess I think the chef is doing everything he or she possibly can but isn't getting the quality red meats and fishes. Or maybe it's just me and my pallet is used to U.S. tasting foods. That said, I do travel a lot and I must say I get what I expect elsewhere. And I did in Cabo too (try Las Ventanas Resort). If it is the chef, maybe a trip to the U.S. for a food tour and professional development may be a good idea. My husband is in the industry and does that with his employees (but to Asian countries). If you stay here, chicken dishes were good. Best bet when ordering....

The food experience wouldn't deter me from staying here again.

Good place overall-

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MBradbury33

Dear: MBradbury...

We thank you for having choosing Villa La Estancia and we offer you our sincere apologies for the inconvenient you encountered during your stay. Our goal is to provide the best Service in every way , thank you for bringing this valuable information to our attention. We hope that in the future you would give us the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My husband and I visited Cabo San Lucas in Oct and stayed at The Villa La Estancia. The Resort was clean, the staff was nice, knowledgeable and extremely professional. The housekeeping staff was outstanding, they came twice daily restocking at each visit. The restaurant on property was excellent also. The wait staff was fast and efficient and friendly. This is a top notch Resort withseveral amenities and close to town. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Theresa W

Dear: Theresa W:

We would like to thank you for the time you took to share your experience with others. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Villa La Estancia on your next vacations.