“Unforgettable family vacation”

Villa La Estancia
Ranked #8 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 15, 2012

On a recommendation from friends we booked our Cabo trip through Malcolm at La Estancia Vacations... laestanciavacations.com. While I am sure there are many wonderful resorts in Cabo, Villa La Estancia exceeded all of our expectations. Malcolm made this adventure so easy. The folks at La Estancia Vacations took out all the guess work, attended to every single need and question that we had!! Malcolm made us feel like family and that he couldnt wait to have us visit. Malcolm arranged for a suburban to pick us up at the airport which made things so much easier (I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS IDEA). We booked a large Villa on the end and WOW was it unbelievable!! Spacious living dining and kitchen, huge jacuzzi on the patio, huge bedrooms with private balconys, etc. We have a family of 6 and I was concerned we would be living on top of each other for a week... that was NOT the case. This Villa could have easily slept 8, but the outdoor space was unreal... bigger than my first house. It had a full grilling / kitchen area on the patio, a 10 person Jacuzzi, spectacular unobstructed views of the ocean and the pool. Our kids could hang at the pool or the hot tub or the beach and we could sit and watch it all from the comfort of the lounge chairs on our balcony. The living / kitchen / dining area was huge and clean and extremely nice. We have stayed at five star hotels throughout the world and these accomodations rate right up there with the best.

As for Cabo itself... we loved the hospitatlity of everyone we encountered. My previous experince in Mexico was in Cancun and it was quite different... everywhere you went you felt like every one was trying to rip you off - and often times they did. Therefore, I was very skeptical. But in Cabo, everyone we encountered was very genuine and treated you like they really wanted you to come back. Our family was very humbled by the poor living conditions and equally inspired by their amazing generosity and hospitatlity.

We did a half day four wheeler ATV tour, which turned out to be everyones favorite experince... riding through the Baja desert and then along the beach of the Pacific Ocean was spectacular!!

My wife and I are planning to return, without the kids, this Winter and we cant wait!!

Room Tip: While all rooms have ocean views - request 'Ocean Front'... a little more but well worht it!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank matt g
There are newer reviews for Villa La Estancia

Reviewed October 11, 2012

This property is beautiful and well cared for. The view is exceptional; we spent a lot of time haning out on the patio just watching the ocean, boats and activities. Our villa was spotless; and the room service staff were friendly and worked their butts off, as did all the property staff. The service is outstanding; at the pool, in the room, at the beach, the restaurants, etc. They gladly made reservations for us for dining and activites.

I will say that, like everything Cabo, it's a bit expensive. We'd probably rent a car the next time we came, as it's a $7-10 taxi ride anywhere.

Also, we do like to cook, and the kitchen could have been better equipt. Other than that...it was a great experience.

Room Tip: Do your research. The prices vary a lot, since they are privately owned villas. Also, consider bui...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I visted Cabo in 2010 and stayed at Villa Del Arco.. which I loved.. at that time, it was a once in a lifetime trip and I vowed that if I ever went back to Cabo, that was were I wanted to stay!! An opportunity arose this year and I found myself heading south of the border to Cabo during the first week of July 2012. I searched,and combed the website for a room at Arco.. they did not have available what I needed at this time.... I was very sad..., then, with more persistant web searching..., I found Bob Easton of Destination Cabo.... my prayers were answered.... He had the connections, and delivered on my lodging requests how I wanted them. I have to tell you, what he was able to arrange for me exceeded my expectations and I forgot all about Villa Del Arco!

Bob provided many options and I decided to go with unit 1208 at Villa La Estancia. I was hesitant at first, as I was a die-hard Villa Del Arco fan...I am SOOO glad I did! It was an incredible unit.. more than what Arco could ever have provided.. and keep in mind since I was a past guest at Arco.. I could compare the two! Here is what I found to be so much more value: 1) Bigger KITCHEN with upgraded appliances and it was stocked to the hilt - pretty much anything I needed was there including spices.. that was nice !! 2) The unit was furnished so comfortably.. I felt very much at home... DVD player.. Ipod player....oh yes.. and the beds.. they were actually wonderful. When I stayed at Arco... the beds were like sleeping on boards.. very very hard.. . These beds in this unit were AWESOME!! I slept great! Oh yes... there was also 2 safes in the unit which was great pecae of mind and... they had coolers you could use for the beach.. just all kinds of little extras that are nice to have and useful that you can't take with you on a plane. 3) I loved and so apprecited the fact that there was FREE long distance to the states - it came in so handy as my cellphone... even with Mexico service, was useless.... having that phone service in the condo was priceless as I was able to stay in touch with my 77 year old mother who is a huge worry wort. Having that phone line kept her mind at ease as she was able to call me too!! 4) Oh yes.. and this unit had a COMPUTER in it which was also GREAT - I did not have to lug my laptop to stay on top of my business at home... at Arco you have to pay a daily fee for wi-fi. 5) We utilized the built in BBQ grill as well that was on our beautifully furnished gi-normous patio! Being on the ground floor it was very easy access from the patio to the pool and beach. I love love loved my visit at Estancia, and will be calling Bob Easton again, and will request unit 1208. I am known to be a Diva when it comes to how picky I am with lodging.. and 1208 was perfect (washer and dryer in the unit, Huge Jacuzzi tub in Master Bath, Dishwasher etc...) and had way more than I expected... THANK YOU BOB!! You will be hearing from me again soon! I HIGHLY recommend using Bob as your resource for your next vaction... and staying at Villa La Estancia... you will not be dissapointed!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank trifarigold
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Let's start from the beginning...my husband booked this trip in May for our Sept. visit. We have two little ones, 4 and 6 years old and he booked the 2 bedroom villa. We decided not to do the all inclusive since there are so many great restaurants in downtown cabo. When we arrived to the hotel after a long day of traveling (we came from Chicago and had a layover in Houston) we had to wait a little while for our room and once we got to it, it was a gated door with two separate hotel rooms behind it. The first door was the main condo with the master bedroom, family room and full kitchen and the other door had another bathroom and 2 double beds. This set-up would be great if you had older children like teenagers, or another couple or a bunch of adults (e.g. girls weekend or guys weekend) but not for young kids. When we voiced our concern about this set-up with our young children in their own hotel room on the main level, we were told there was nothing that they could do and all the other villas that have two bedrooms behind one door were all booked. We suggested that we could stay in the one bedroom villa and just refund us the difference between a one bedroom and two bedroom. We were told that since we paid in full they couldn't do that.

The hotel was quiet since we went in the down season so we knew that all the two bedrooms were not booked and after talking to some people by the pool they told us that there was a room available by them. After my husband wasted his afternoon not being at the pool and talking to multiple people at the front desk we were given a new room. I stress that if you are traveling with young children and booked a two bedroom villa call and confirm that it's behind one door.

After that fiasco, the place is amazing. The rooms, housekeepers and grounds are great. Like other people have said, it's really close to the marina and mall. It only cost us $7 but $9 with tip to go to the marina. You have water taxi's on the beach to take you to lovers beach and to see the arch. Food is good at the hotel and we ate dinner there twice and we did have the breakfast deal where 2 adults got free breakfast every morning which was delicious. Walmart and Sams club are across the highway from the hotel so we got lunch fixings for the kids and our alcohol there. We rented a car but would highly advice against it. There aren't a lot of safe parking areas in downtown cabo so we paid a lot for the rental car and it sat at the hotel the whole time while we paid more money for taxis.
What is nice about La Estancia verses the sister hotels is that guest from the other places can't use Estancia's pool or amenities but guest of Estancia can go to the pool and use the amenities of the other hotels. Villa Del Palmar seemed like a cheap party hotel and Villa Del Arco seemed a little more like Villa La Estancia.
Overall the room was amazing and we liked that the pool was never crowded unlike the other hotels. The beach was not swimmable due to the waves. I wouldn't even let my kids walk by them since it was so dangerous so that is why we spent so much time at the pool. This place is great for everyone. If we go again though, I think I would stay somewhere closer to the Marina like Casa Dorada or Hacienda. I don't think the waves were as bad at these locations and you could walk to the Marina.
Also, there is no WiFi unless you are in the main lobby which is far from the pool view/ocean view rooms. My husband asked for a WiFi receiver and we got one, it never hurts to ask. I don't think that they have a lot of them so ask for it once you check in.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Gina124331
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My four girlfriends and I (all in our early 30s) just spent a week at Villa La Estancia in unit 3708, which you can rent at heavenincabo.com. It was amazing! Absolutely beautiful, enormous two bedroom condo with a separate entrance for the master bedroom/master bathroom/additional bathroom with shower/kitchen/living room and the other bedroom/bathroom. (Hard to describe, but basically there's one main entrance and then two doors to the separate suites, with easy access back and forth and lots of privacy if needed.) From the huge jacuzzi tub in the master bath to the expansive 7th floor deck with BBQ (we shopped at the nearby wal-mart and grilled most nights) to the excellent maid service to the beautiful swimming pools and beach, it was the ideal girl-getaway.

The on-site restaurant/poolside service was expensive, so we primarily brought our own food and drinks from the room. Didn't go to the spa but used the great gym when we had the energy for a workout, It's a quick $10 taxi ride to the center of Los Cabos or the marina area (or a walk along the beach), but we primarily stayed nearby because we simply didn't want to leave.

We'll definitely be going back!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank lng1977
Reviewed September 27, 2012

That was my son's comment--I have to admit I didn't expect to find a great place like this in Mexico, but WOW! We stayed in a one bedroom villa on the 5th floor. The floor plan is a standard timeshare villa--king bedroom, sitting area, dining area, two bathrooms, kitchen--but picture that in your mind and then think more spacious, brand new, and beautifully appointed! FULL kitchen, very large master bath with double sinks and a makeup table, very large shower, separate jetted tub. Our villa could sleep 6 with two pullout sofas which was perfect for our two teenagers, but we noticed that some villas had just one sofabed (rollaways are extra $).

Here are just a few perks:
--Amazing large veranda/balcony with two ceiling fans, two lounge chairs and table for four, all with a view of the ocean! What a great place to hang out, play games, have a snack, relax!
--Turns out it almost never rains in Cabo and they have very consistent great temperatures--except it rained on us our week! When it rained, we just headed for one of the 5 hot tubs!
--Staff was very helpful and friendly! A treat was brought to our room every afternoon (taquitos, cookies, nachos) about 430pm, and mints and two new bottles of water every night while we were out to dinner!
--La Estancia and its sister resorts on either side each have their own water purification plants on site, so we could safely drink the water from the tap during our whole trip! Great to not have to worry about brushing your teeth with bottled water in Mexico!
--Pools are salt water which meant less skin irritation during a full week for all of us.
--Postcard perfect views of Land's End from poolside every day!
--Washer and dryer in the room.
--Onsite restaurants were fair to good, and a taxi to a restaurant in town was about $1.50 per person one way. Tip--one of our best meals was on the pirate ship at the resort next door!

Very few cons:
--Although the beach is a rare swimmable beach in Cabo, the surf was very strong and not really safe during our trip.
--Lots of persistent salesmen on the beach.
--SLOW service for drinks or food around the pool.

Bottom line:
We would go back to this resort in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank WHSpain
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Booked via Expedia and was assigned Villa #3105 (Building 3, ground floor, 5 villas from the ocean) and went during slow season (Labor Day week) for 5 nights. Since it was slow season and kids were in school already (for west coast USA), it was primarily couples and owners at the resort with about 30% occupancy. Nice and quiet for us, which is exactly what we were looking for. Pool was perfect temperature, easy in/out but hot tubs coiuld have been hotter.

PROS-

Compact size, quality food, restaurant and pool service, immaculate grounds, access to 2 sister resorts, mini market and deli on site, fabulous spa, quick ride into town for 70 pesos but away from the noise. We walked the whole beach and glad we chose this resort on Medano Beach!

To affirm what other reviewers said, grounds are immaculate, rooms are huge with the most comfortable bed I've slept on in Mexico. We opted for the all inclusive via expedia. Well worth it if it is less than the $89 per person per day the hotel normally charges (low season rate). The restaurants were excellent and pool service was fantastic! Please tip these guys, especially the pool servers during slow season when it is steaming hot outside and they are running back and forth to get you your food and drinks.

CONS-

-Room service NOT included in the AI Plan
- Check in was horrible (most unfriendliest check in ever). Check in offered very little information on property, very stoic. Bad first impression.
- NOTE if internet is important to you- Expedia advertises free internet but they fail to tell you it's only in public areas (lobby and by pool).

Room Tip: Stayed in #3105. Perfect location, in the middle of it all. Building #3 is right next to Villa Del A...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple