“Outstanding Property; Great service; Iffy F&B”
Review of Villa La Estancia

Villa La Estancia
Ranked #8 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersBronze level
eugene oregon
“Outstanding Property; Great service; Iffy F&B”
Reviewed March 23, 2011

The rooms and suites in this property are really outstanding. My wife and I spent five nights here in early March to attend the wedding my famous horse trainer/radio star, Jude Feld. From check-in to our departure everything was smooth, highly professional, and very well done.

Our room, a two bedroom suite (3404) had a view to die for off its' 30 foot balcony. Said balcony, with two lounge chairs, a table for six, a wet bat and two different cocktail tables was as nice as any 5 star property in the world. The three sets of sliding glass doors all had screens which allowed you to turn off the air at night to listen to the sounds of the sea. A true pleasure for those of us not lucky enough to live at the beach. The suite itself had a kitchen complete with everything you could want in terms of equipment, a great two door sub zero refrigerator, a washer and dryer, and more glasses, plates silverware etc. you could ever use. The cleaning staff was there several times a day, were greatly efficient, and left the room totally clean and perfectly maintained.

I had two maintainence issues during my stay. One was an beeping alarm that turned out to be because the dish washer door was not closed all the way and a more serious one when the shower in the master bath would not turn off. A staff member was there in one or two minutes each time to sort out the problem and make the needed repairs. It was very impressive. One fix required a plumber, the other a push on the dishwasher door and a smile. Very professional!!!

Villa La Estancia, one of three Villa properties all grouped together, is by far the most up- scale of the three. It is far quieter, has far less "family type guests" and is by far the best of the three, especially if you are looking for a peaceful rest from action of other properties in Cabo. A guest at the Estancia can easily go to either of the other two Villa properties and enjoy their pools etc. if the quietude is getting to them. For us, it was a total Oasis of calm.

A cab ride to town(less than $10.00(USD) takes five minutes. There is also a water taxi'(which requires you to wade out to it off the beach). You can walk to town both on the beach and more easily on the streets. It is a nice 25 minute walk either way. We took the street walk every day returning on foot, by cab, by water taxi or back on the street. It was safe, enjoyable and a good walk. We even got to know several of the merchants along the way who were fun and pleasent.

The F&B at Estancia is not as good as everything else in the hotel. There are two restaurants. One for breakfast and lunch and one for dinner. Both are very expensive and have Ok but not great service or quality. Both are seriously overpriced ($35.00 per person for a regular type breakfast with coffee); and (lunch prices of about $20 per sandwich for a normal ham and cheese or similar type sandwich. The other two Villa properties have more options, better pricing, and best yet, have a deli that serves food, coffee and drinks all day long at normal type prices. It is next door to to their own market which sells all types of food, beer, soft drinks, and even liquior and mixers. I found the market prices to be almost the same as Wall Mart two miles away. The market is a great place for an anytime meal or snack and you might find most of your neighbors there at one time or another during the day. The deli also has an internet cafe with prices about $5.00 for thirty minutes of internet time. A great wy to check for e-mail and on line stuff without the necessity of hauling your computer to Cabo.

This an exceptional property. I just retired from thirty years as buyer of hotel space at top resorts around the world for a tour operator. I have not really been a non-working visitor at any resort during that time. As someone who paid to stay at this resort, I totally feel I got great value. In otherwords, I was a very happy client. The F&B issues stated above notwithstanding, this property is right up there with all the Ritz Carltons, Four Seasons, and other five stars almost anywhere in the world. Great management!! Great physical plant and location.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank horseracingabroad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 22, 2011

My family had a wonderful time. Everything you could possibly want to do is available right there on the beach or easily arranged through the concierge. You can stay at the Villa your entire trip if you are so inclined, with grocery store, cafe, gift shops, restaurants, and pools on the the three-property premises, as well as all the activities right on its beaches. Food was fantastic (though a bit pricey - true of everywhere in Cabo), but the beer selection could have been better. My highlight was having the fish I caught early in the morning cooked and served up (poolside) to me and the family for lunch! Special props go to the rooms manager for tracking down and arranging for the return of a personal item I left behind.

1 Thank Cyderman01720
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed March 21, 2011

This was our third trip to Cabo, as well as our third time staying at Villa La Estancia, and as usual it was wonderful! We always have fantastic service from the time we arrive until the minute we leave. The villa was spotless, the grounds absolutely beautiful, and the concierge was very accomodating. The entire staff is such a pleasure. I can't imagine staying anywhere else. The location on Medano Beach is convenient to town, close to all the activities on the beach, yet very peaceful and quiet. It offers something for everybody. For easy planning, check out www.laestanciavacations.com!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CindiKaye
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 20, 2011

First, we love the place, and we'll probably go back. But they are so close to being "GREAT", but just a little short on a few details.

Summary in order of interaction:

Bell staff - Second to none. They were helpful, informative and you never felt obliged to tip for every question. They were really the best part of the staff.

Check-in/Desk staff - How do you say grouchy in spanish? The check in process was clunky at best. They have no map of facilities...they said they'd try to find me one "tomorrow." Our room wasn't ready, which I honestly think is a ploy to get the restaurant some business. I saw every day poor folks, about 2:00 pm in their street clothes eating lunch at the pool, apparently waiting for their room to be ready. On our check-in day they told us at noom, it would be ready at 1:00. After lunch, they said sorry, it will be ready at 3:00, promise. The place they fall short is they don't tell you anything about the facilities, they have no documents that explain how things work, etc. Even the pre paperwork is lame...like we would have liked to have know there were washers and dryers in the rooms! I swore I saw they rented DVDs...but they don't.

Pool staff - very friendly

Concierge - she was great, patient and had great suggestions for local restaurants. I tried to give her a tip the day I was asking her to make several dinner reservations, and he thought I handed it to her in error!

Housekeeping - thorough, but our room was done every day between 3:00 and 5:30 pm! We go to the beach, and come back and no housekeeping.

Spa - I wish I had gone there earlier in my trip. It was great! They offered a promotion while we were there, 80 mins if you pay for 50 mins. And the facilities were beautiful in the spa.

I agree with what everybody said, about the facilities being beautiful. We were in a two bedroom suite which was perfect for our family of five. You are far enough away from the downtown to feel insulated from the little honky tonk in town, but close enough for a ten minute (100 peso for five people) taxi to any restaurant.

Costco, Sams and Walmart are also very close, another cheap cab ride. We paid a cab 100 pesos to go to Costco, and he wanted to wait an hour for the 100 return fare. And for a modest tip (or I saw people doing it themselves with the hotel carts) the bell staff will deliver your costco boxes right to your room. There's no embarassment in hauling tons of food through the lobby. We saw people doing it every day.

The taxis are all big 10 pasenger vans, which is great for our party of five. We always struggle having to get two cabs in most cities, but the Cabo taxi vans are great.

Besides the check-in staff being rude to us at every opportunity, the WIFI is WEAK!!!! You can sit in the lobby and get a thin connection, or sit on the your deck and pick up the outside WIFI. I think they broadcast off the roof of the bathroom by the pool (honest) so everybody hits the same network. And often I would get kicked off it when trying to access it with my IPAD. I actually sat in the lobby for 90 minutes one day (I'm stuborn!) while I tried to download the final Bachelor episode off itunes. It took that long. I heard people complaining about it all over the resort. Ok, I should be unplugged, but it's nice to read the news, etc...and it's tough with there weak signal.

We did have trouble with the AC. IT being mid march, it got cold at night. The air was blasting, and our room on our first day was about 60 degrees. We finally had to call houskeeping and they sent somebody out to tell us, duh, they have no heat. They tried to show us how to use the AC, but while my conversational spanish is good, the nuances of operating the AC is difficult to understand in spanish. So we just shut it off, and they brought us extra blankets!!

Ok, so it was a little confusing for us being first timers, there's no question this is one of the best locations in Cabo. Cabo is a great town that feels safe, have lots of police, and the shop keepers and restaurant operators know they need to cater to tourists, and they really do.

We have high standards, and we tried not to be too high maintence, really. They just need a little more info for first time travelers, and a new manager of the front desk staff.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank DaveD_Nashville
Tulsa
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We had a most fantastic family stay at VLE. Ignacia and Carlos were amazing as they took complete care of us, our reservations, and coordinated activities for all members of the family throughout our stay. We had gorgeous views, as the hotel is beautifully situated on Medano beach... great for long walks and swimming. Lots of activities, parasailing, fishing, sunset cruises kept us all happy and busy.. never a dull moment. The extra large pool with swim-up bar was great. The Spa is one of the most amazing ones i have ever been in, so don't pass up the opportunity to make an appt there!

1 Thank MMOTulsa
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We stayed at Villa Las Estancia during Feb break this year. We were blown a away by the accodomations. Malcolm (whom we booked with) was so informatative and so helpful in everyway. So patient with my 40 phone calls. The villas were not only beautiful, but very clean. It met every expectation above and beyond. Was a little leary about going to mexico. Felt very safe and everyone was so polite. The resturants were great in the hotel. The staff was so polite and couldnt wait to serve us in every way.
The location of the hotel was perfect. Kids swam in ocean everyday. Did jet skiing, glass bottom boats, snorkling, tubing and banana boat rides all day. Have kids ranging from 7-16 and everyone loved the vacation!!!!!
Can't wait to go back!!!!!

1 Thank Susaned1005
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed March 5, 2011

my boyfriend and I had a wonderful stay at villa la estancia. unfortunately, there was some construction during our stay which was quite annoying, but it was otherwise very peaceful. We walked to the center of town on several occasions, either by street or by sand. It's not too far but can be tiresome if you are out and about all day. the grounds are absolutely beautiful and the beach is gorgeous. water taxis are readily available whenever you need one. we were never approached for a timeshare which was fantastic. we didn't eat at the restaurant because it was too pricey, but we did eat lunch regularly at the pool and it was very good.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple