We stayed at the HBC in Cabo the last two weeks in October. What a fantastic experience it turned out to be and it was our first time working with VRBO.
About us - We are well traveled and typically choose luxury resorts that enable us to enjoy ocean activities like scuba, surfing, paddleboarding, etc. Our favorite resorts include One&Only (Reethi and Kanuhura), Bora Bora Nui Resort, St. Regis Bora Bora, Canouan Carenage resort, Grand Hyatt Kauai, Palm Island etc. Being able to swim from the beach in the resort is very important to us and is what lead us to discover Hacienda Beach Club. It was our first time to Cabo, and we were surprised that most locations are not on swimmable beaches due to the dangerous waves. Medano beach is promoted as swimmable but also has a reputation for being busy, crowded, noisy and chock full of roving, annoying salesmen. And it is. Until you step over the line onto the private part of Medano that is owned by Hacienda Beach Club Once you are on the secure part of the beach you begin your experience!!
Location location location - this place is quite honestly in the perfect place – right in the heart of cabo. Unless you’re planning on spending time in San Jose, or La Paz, or you’re doing a lot of golfing you don’t even need a car. Most excursions leave from the Marina (which is a 5 minute walk) or they send a shuttle to pick you up.
RESTAURANT - Hacienda Cocina y Cantina
It’s rated #1 in Cabo for a reason. Don’t miss out. The restaurant manager is extremely personable, and his staff are practically mind readers. They welcome you and make you feel comfortable while serving some of the most mouthwatering creations. The view is unreal.
An extension of the restaurant and you can tell. Omar, Edwin, Carlos and so many others I feel bad about forgetting names right now because they couldn’t do enough to make sure we were happy with what we were drinking, eating or where we were sitting! Carlos loved to get creative with drinks and different tequila’s and appreciated those of us with a sense of adventure!! The servers were forever surprising us. Middle of the pool – no problem for these guys, they’d poor wine, deliver drinks wherever we were. They knew our names from day 1, asked about our lives, told us about their families and genuinely enjoyed being at work. We miss them and their smiling faces
Oh my gosh – what a dream. Beach sports including paddleboarding and kayaking were all included. I’m sure there was more in the sports equipment room, but we had a blast with the paddleboards and kayaks. They told us to sit in the kayak on the beach and basically pushed us in. Brought us water and towels when we returned. Really nice touches and incredibly knowledgeable fun guys more than willing to help us.
Fitness activities – located in the spa area the rooms were set up perfectly. Enjoy pilates classes, spinning classes, yoga etc. Or go into the weight room that is built with the gorgeous detail found everywhere in on the property and jump on one of multiple cardio machines. Finish up with a sauna or steam, outdoor shower or cold pool/hot tub dip. All surrounded with water features that urge you to the relaxation area for an outdoor nap that literally sucks any stress you might still have right out of you!
Scuba and Ziplining – we used cabo adventures and we were very happy with them. They are a bigger outfit and it’s a bit like Disneyland dealing with the checkin processes and the numbers of people across all the activities they offer. They have dolphins in captivity which seems to be a HUGE attraction and I am against that. When I booked I didn't realize that we'd have to right past the dolphins to get our scuba equipment (like I said, DIsneyland sales tactics). Don't get me wrong, the equipment, transportation and crews were all really good, they were great for our first time in Cabo for scuba and ziplining but I know we’d go with smaller, more local companies when we go back – ones that do not keep dolphins in captivity. And that is purely a personal choice – no reflection on their service for the activities we signed up with them for.
I have never seen baby turtles released and this was actually pretty emotional to watch (even for the big grown men on the beach seeing it for the first time!). On the beach at dusk seeing hundreds of these baby turtles instinctively racing for the sea, knowing maybe one of them might make it back to lay her eggs on this very beach one day just stirs something in your heart and is an experience I’ll never forget.
The spa is beautiful, restful, stress zapping and luxurious. We enjoyed a couples massage and the massage therapists were top notch. The little things – like warm cloths on your feet, a knee bolster, a neck roll, incredibly comfortable massage tables and a therapist with experience that seemed to pay attention to the area’s you put on your form were bothering you. You will pay regular big city prices for the services, but it really was worth it.
Even on our last day we were still marvelling at how pristine the grounds were kept. The gardeners deserve a huge pat on the back here. I felt like I was on Mustique or in Maui at the Kea Lani. Impeccably manicured from top to bottom and we were all over the property and didn’t find any area that was let go.
It’s not that white powdery sand you find in the south pacific, but it was nicer than the beaches we experienced in other west coast Mexican vacation spots. Here the sand is a light golden colour, it does get slightly hot during the afternoon but it’s not unbearable. This is a private part of Medano beach where you can actually walk in the water and swim – no worries about salesmen or drunken antics from down the beach. It’s also important to note that several hacienda staff attend to the safety and security on the beach and they also take pride in keeping it clean.
Our suite was a one bedroom on the 3rd floor and it was absolutely gorgeous. The unit is outfitted with luxurious comforts and a gourmet kitchen. We didn’t use the TV or the stereo system as I travel with my own speakers for our ipods, but she had everything one could want – including a Logitech remote!! I ended up having to log in for work and the wireless worked perfectly. When it went down I emailed the owner and she had a technician at the door and within the hour all was fixed. The wonderful thing is wifi was accessible at the beach and the pool too. The owner is one of those ladies you meet and just instantly know she’s genuine. You can feel her smile and warmth through the phone
The Hacienda Beach Club itself has been designed perfectly. I cannot think of another way to describe the thought and craftsmanship that was put into every nook and cranny. Dozens of water features dot the property to ensure privacy and create a sound barrier from the noisier marina and beach activities. You can’t believe the impact all of those water features have!! The entire pool area looks like a Frontgate advertisement. There is a community of owners that visit regularly and they are a familiar and close knit group. (There are villa’s for sale, but don’t fret – NO TIMESHARE selling going on here.) The owners that we met were incredibly friendly and interested in helping us thoroughly enjoy our time at their ‘casa’. They simply embraced us renters as long lost family and wanted to know when we’d be back.
From the concierge team to the security guards at the gates everyone was gracious and friendly and really took pride in what they were doing. The terracotta tiles in the hallway outside our suite were so polished and clean you could eat off them! I’ve never seen a resort that was so clean.
We did visit the sales office and it was a very laid back, casual, and enjoyable experience. Also informative about the history of the area! You really do leave with the sense of wanting to own a piece of this paradise.
In order to properly thank and recognize the hospitality and service we experienced, I would need a complete list with every single employee name!
So was anything off about the holiday? Hmmmm...
- The weather was as close to perfect as you could possibly get.
- We were never once worried about our safety.
- We ate at several places around town and even drank the water from coolers while zip lining and didn’t develop any worrisome washroom issues.
If we dig deep and get nitpicky for things that could be improved … here is what we came up with
- Too many cruise ships coming into the bay 3 or 4 days of the week which makes the water taxi and jet ski traffic a bit insane at times. The increased number of water vehicles over to the Arches did add noise while we were diving too. On the flip side, we spent hours on the beach watching the entertaining activity!! And, if you’re staying for an extended time, plan your own activities on days when the ships are not in port (you’ll get better service and in some cases a better price too!!)
- Biggest problem - Not enough time to do everything. Solution = GO BACK!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hacienda Beach Club & Residences is located in the heart of Cabo San Lucas on Medano Beach, next to the famed marina, and footsteps from an irresistible blend of restaurants, shopping, nightlife and local culture. Embodying a dramatic new concept of seamless indoor and outdoor living, the family-friendly accommodations of the Hacienda Beach Club & Residences offer an atmosphere of grandeur and graciousness on Baja California Sur just steps from the beach. Each elegant residence at our Cabo resort features a gourmet kitchen, master suite, and fine living amenities and high-tech touches, including hardwood doors, handcrafted metalwork, natural stone finishes, and surround-sound stereo systems, flat screen televisions, and complimentary Wi-Fi throughout all residences. It’s a perfect private hideaway in the midst of everything. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your Hacienda Beach Club & Residences reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Beach Club And Residences Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Hacienda Beach Club & Residences Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos