“Absolute Perfection!”

Hacienda Beach Club & Residences
Reviewed November 10, 2012

We stayed at the HBC in Cabo the last two weeks in October. What a fantastic experience it turned out to be and it was our first time working with VRBO.

About us - We are well traveled and typically choose luxury resorts that enable us to enjoy ocean activities like scuba, surfing, paddleboarding, etc. Our favorite resorts include One&Only (Reethi and Kanuhura), Bora Bora Nui Resort, St. Regis Bora Bora, Canouan Carenage resort, Grand Hyatt Kauai, Palm Island etc. Being able to swim from the beach in the resort is very important to us and is what lead us to discover Hacienda Beach Club. It was our first time to Cabo, and we were surprised that most locations are not on swimmable beaches due to the dangerous waves. Medano beach is promoted as swimmable but also has a reputation for being busy, crowded, noisy and chock full of roving, annoying salesmen. And it is. Until you step over the line onto the private part of Medano that is owned by Hacienda Beach Club  Once you are on the secure part of the beach you begin your experience!!

LOCATION
Location location location - this place is quite honestly in the perfect place – right in the heart of cabo. Unless you’re planning on spending time in San Jose, or La Paz, or you’re doing a lot of golfing you don’t even need a car. Most excursions leave from the Marina (which is a 5 minute walk) or they send a shuttle to pick you up.

RESTAURANT - Hacienda Cocina y Cantina
It’s rated #1 in Cabo for a reason. Don’t miss out. The restaurant manager is extremely personable, and his staff are practically mind readers. They welcome you and make you feel comfortable while serving some of the most mouthwatering creations. The view is unreal.

BEACH/POOL BAR
An extension of the restaurant and you can tell. Omar, Edwin, Carlos and so many others I feel bad about forgetting names right now because they couldn’t do enough to make sure we were happy with what we were drinking, eating or where we were sitting! Carlos loved to get creative with drinks and different tequila’s and appreciated those of us with a sense of adventure!! The servers were forever surprising us. Middle of the pool – no problem for these guys, they’d poor wine, deliver drinks wherever we were. They knew our names from day 1, asked about our lives, told us about their families and genuinely enjoyed being at work. We miss them and their smiling faces 

ACTIVITIES
Oh my gosh – what a dream. Beach sports including paddleboarding and kayaking were all included. I’m sure there was more in the sports equipment room, but we had a blast with the paddleboards and kayaks. They told us to sit in the kayak on the beach and basically pushed us in. Brought us water and towels when we returned. Really nice touches and incredibly knowledgeable fun guys more than willing to help us.
Fitness activities – located in the spa area the rooms were set up perfectly. Enjoy pilates classes, spinning classes, yoga etc. Or go into the weight room that is built with the gorgeous detail found everywhere in on the property and jump on one of multiple cardio machines. Finish up with a sauna or steam, outdoor shower or cold pool/hot tub dip. All surrounded with water features that urge you to the relaxation area for an outdoor nap that literally sucks any stress you might still have right out of you!
Offsite activities
Scuba and Ziplining – we used cabo adventures and we were very happy with them. They are a bigger outfit and it’s a bit like Disneyland dealing with the checkin processes and the numbers of people across all the activities they offer. They have dolphins in captivity which seems to be a HUGE attraction and I am against that. When I booked I didn't realize that we'd have to right past the dolphins to get our scuba equipment (like I said, DIsneyland sales tactics). Don't get me wrong, the equipment, transportation and crews were all really good, they were great for our first time in Cabo for scuba and ziplining but I know we’d go with smaller, more local companies when we go back – ones that do not keep dolphins in captivity. And that is purely a personal choice – no reflection on their service for the activities we signed up with them for.

TURTLES
I have never seen baby turtles released and this was actually pretty emotional to watch (even for the big grown men on the beach seeing it for the first time!). On the beach at dusk seeing hundreds of these baby turtles instinctively racing for the sea, knowing maybe one of them might make it back to lay her eggs on this very beach one day just stirs something in your heart and is an experience I’ll never forget.

SPA
The spa is beautiful, restful, stress zapping and luxurious. We enjoyed a couples massage and the massage therapists were top notch. The little things – like warm cloths on your feet, a knee bolster, a neck roll, incredibly comfortable massage tables and a therapist with experience that seemed to pay attention to the area’s you put on your form were bothering you. You will pay regular big city prices for the services, but it really was worth it.

GROUNDS
Even on our last day we were still marvelling at how pristine the grounds were kept. The gardeners deserve a huge pat on the back here. I felt like I was on Mustique or in Maui at the Kea Lani. Impeccably manicured from top to bottom and we were all over the property and didn’t find any area that was let go.

BEACH
It’s not that white powdery sand you find in the south pacific, but it was nicer than the beaches we experienced in other west coast Mexican vacation spots. Here the sand is a light golden colour, it does get slightly hot during the afternoon but it’s not unbearable. This is a private part of Medano beach where you can actually walk in the water and swim – no worries about salesmen or drunken antics from down the beach. It’s also important to note that several hacienda staff attend to the safety and security on the beach and they also take pride in keeping it clean.

SUITE/VILLA
Our suite was a one bedroom on the 3rd floor and it was absolutely gorgeous. The unit is outfitted with luxurious comforts and a gourmet kitchen. We didn’t use the TV or the stereo system as I travel with my own speakers for our ipods, but she had everything one could want – including a Logitech remote!! I ended up having to log in for work and the wireless worked perfectly. When it went down I emailed the owner and she had a technician at the door and within the hour all was fixed. The wonderful thing is wifi was accessible at the beach and the pool too. The owner is one of those ladies you meet and just instantly know she’s genuine. You can feel her smile and warmth through the phone 

The Hacienda Beach Club itself has been designed perfectly. I cannot think of another way to describe the thought and craftsmanship that was put into every nook and cranny. Dozens of water features dot the property to ensure privacy and create a sound barrier from the noisier marina and beach activities. You can’t believe the impact all of those water features have!! The entire pool area looks like a Frontgate advertisement. There is a community of owners that visit regularly and they are a familiar and close knit group. (There are villa’s for sale, but don’t fret – NO TIMESHARE selling going on here.) The owners that we met were incredibly friendly and interested in helping us thoroughly enjoy our time at their ‘casa’. They simply embraced us renters as long lost family and wanted to know when we’d be back.
From the concierge team to the security guards at the gates everyone was gracious and friendly and really took pride in what they were doing. The terracotta tiles in the hallway outside our suite were so polished and clean you could eat off them! I’ve never seen a resort that was so clean.

We did visit the sales office and it was a very laid back, casual, and enjoyable experience. Also informative about the history of the area! You really do leave with the sense of wanting to own a piece of this paradise.

In order to properly thank and recognize the hospitality and service we experienced, I would need a complete list with every single employee name!

So was anything off about the holiday? Hmmmm...
- The weather was as close to perfect as you could possibly get.
- We were never once worried about our safety.
- We ate at several places around town and even drank the water from coolers while zip lining and didn’t develop any worrisome washroom issues.

If we dig deep and get nitpicky for things that could be improved … here is what we came up with
- Too many cruise ships coming into the bay 3 or 4 days of the week which makes the water taxi and jet ski traffic a bit insane at times. The increased number of water vehicles over to the Arches did add noise while we were diving too. On the flip side, we spent hours on the beach watching the entertaining activity!! And, if you’re staying for an extended time, plan your own activities on days when the ships are not in port (you’ll get better service and in some cases a better price too!!)

- Biggest problem - Not enough time to do everything. Solution = GO BACK!!!

Room Tip: No bad rooms!! Just do your research ahead of time and know if you have a medano beach view or a mar...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BethJM
There are newer reviews for Hacienda Beach Club & Residences

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed in a 2 BR/2.5 BA unit with an ocean view. It was decorated to the nines and the quality of the unit overall was outstanding.
There are many high end properties in Cabo but none of them beat the location of this place. No car is needed, no taxis needed; just walk everywhere you need to go. We did take a taxi over to Walmart at the beginning of the week to stock up on food and supplies for the week, but that was only $30/RT.
Staying here gets you lots of great amenties, such as free paddleboarding, free kayaks and snorkle gear. I would suggest getting to the sports desk at 8 to 9 a.m. so you are sure to have your rental available.
The pool is amazing here. One of the prettiest pool areas I have ever seen. I loved the air bath style jacuzzi on the baja shelf inside the main pool. I have never seen that before.
The restaurant on site is incredible and quite reasonable. The only thing overpriced is the drinks; the food is very reasonable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shendrix
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Hacienda Beach Club is in a great location right on Medano Beach in Cabo. We were able to easily walk to our favorite restaurants and save money on taxis. Although Medano can get very crowded, the resorts always feels like a quiet oasis in the middle of Cabo. When you are staying at the Hacienda, you can enjoy the total relaxation and privacy of the resort, or you can walk to all the activities, restaurants, shops, etc. of Cabo San Lucas. Also, the Hacienda's restaurant has really good food for both lunch and dinner, and my wife really enjoyed her spa treatment--the resort as everything you need to enjoy a nice Cabo getaway! The Hacienda Beach Club definitely exceeded our expectations and we would stay there again.

Room Tip: The higher floors have beautiful views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PJS308
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We wanted a great family vacation and we got it!! This is one of my favorite hotels I have ever stayed in!! We took our family (a 4 year old and 11 month old). We had a car service pick us up and I would recomend that. We also stoped at the Super wallmart (5 min from resort) for wine, beer and some kid food. We got to the resort and were recieved with fresh juice, cold towels and a colorful lollipop for our 4yr old! They had 5 people handle our luggage, show us around, and unload all our groceries in our 3 bedroom 4 bath Villa. The level of customer service was AMAZING. Fresh chips and Pico de gallo waited for us when we walked in to our Villa!

The spa was fantastic! you can do the steam/sawna and pool with your spouce! Huge plus!

They exceeded expectations!!! We will go back!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AlixA518
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Ridiculously amazing... This place is really quality. No timeshare crap, it might not be the cheapest place either but it's worth every penny. For all you clown that keep going to the plastic city of Vegas, save your money and chill out in this paradise... My wife and I travel a lot, we ve been to many resorts and this is simply beautiful. It was the last week of a 3 month trip, we returned totally revitalized and relaxed... Location, well can't be better, closest to the marina on medano beach. Easy direct access to the beach but we spent most time at the pools, they were very relaxing, felt like a movie to be honest, the scenery. It was low season so less people, even better. Had a brilliant time, oh yeah, I almost forgot, the room was bigger than our house. Really, you should come here, I'll definitely return. Must say hello to Edward the pool supervisor, good value...

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank AnteHelen
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We just got back from a 9/4-9/8 trip yesterday. Nicest hotel I have ever stayed in. As for Cabo, I have stayed in Casa Dorada, and at Cabo Azul in Los Cabos. This is my #1 pick by far. NO timeshare or selling here, and we had the place almost to ourselves as the season is slow in September. The service is fabulous, and the 2 bedroom suite was amazing - like a home you will never want to leave!

The only cons I can even think of are silly -- that our safe had no batteries - so after it locked our passports in it, we just didn't open it until we called the front desk at the end of our stay to come open it -- and there were a ton of gnats everywhere - which is Cabo's fault, not the hotel's :0). Oh, and my boyfriend said that the pool bar should have a TV and maybe be able to swim up to it. (But the bartender will walk your drinks up to you anyways, so the pool IS practically a swim up bar!), oh - and my bathtub hot water wouldn't work. And, the TVs were hard to figure out.

Pros = everything else! No front desk, gated hotel, golf carts for easy transportation, nice gym, amazing pool, fabulous restaurant, amazing staff, private easy beach access with little to no hagglers, free beach gear to use (i didn't get to use any, but our family staying with us used the snorkels), amazing fully stocked kitchen, comfortable bed and pillows, plenty of towels everywhere, not crowded at all - felt very private, amazing views, great staff...I could go on and on.

I mean i really just wish i was still there and I am counting on the day I can go back. :) Truly an amazing Mexico experience.

Room Tip: We had the 2 bedroom suite in building 1 on the 3rd floor and it was amazing!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gretchstars
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Hacienda Beach Resort was simply amazing. We stayed here for a week in August. It was off season so we practically had the entire resort to ourselves. That did not keep the staff from being completely attentive to everything we needed. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite in the main building of the resort. It was more than spectacular. 1700 square feet of all modern amenities. Free Wi-fi through out, the entire suite was wired for sound to play music even out on the terrace. The kitchen had every imaginable applicance and cooking item. We made breakfast each morning but could have easily made every meal and made every cocktail. The resort offered a service where you could provide a grocery list before your arrival and they would have it in the fridge when you arrived. We even restock mid week. The prices for the groceries were only slightly more than if you went yourself.
As for the resort itself, the pools were spectacular, the beach amazing and the free amenities awesome. We took kayaks out to El Arco one day along with snorkel equipment for the Beach. There was paddle boards, and all types of beach equipment for use by the residents of the resort. We have stayed in many fine resorts all over the world, including the Four Seasons in many areas and the Hacienda is a step above. Alex, the manager of guest services was so accommodating. If you want a luxurious accommodation within walking distance to everything in Cabo, this is the place to be

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family