“Not as good. Last year was better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Fonda - CLOSED

La Fonda
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: I don't know if this restaurant has its own website so I've provided a link to a Los Cabos restaurant guide (this is how we decided to give it a try, after a recommendation from the concierge at our hotel).
San Francisco
“Not as good. Last year was better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Went to La Fonda for our yearly visit. The food has dropped in quality and taste. One of our guest had the quesadillas appetizer and they were dry, hard, and tasteless. He also had the shrimp tacos which were very bland. My other half had the lobster burrito which she said was not bad. I had the Tortilla Soup which was really salty and too thick for a soup. I also had the enchiladas which were bland and dry. The whole experience was just BLAH......... Even the waiters were boring. No one smiled. It was like we were in between their time to go home or start closing. We had 7:30 reservation. Not that late. The "Especial Margarita" was fantastic. That alone deserve an average rating. All in all this restaurant is not worth the money you spend for what they call Traditional Mexican Food.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

oakland, ca
“Top quality and superior taste”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

La Fonda offers an incredible range of delicious Mexican food made with high quality ingredients. I can't vouch for what authentic means to others. For some, authentic is a dive spot where locals eat. This is not La Fonda. For others, it means food prepared using traditional approaches and ingredients. In this review, I use authentic to describe the mole here because it reminds me of the great moles I tried in Oaxaca - complex, rich, and deep. We also enjoyed their mixed plate of quesadillas, which offered a delicious and bountiful portion of huitlacoche. This corn fungus is nearly impossible to find in the Bay Area so I go full out whenever I get the chance. The Aztec sopa comes with a platter of delicious toppings - avocado, tortilla chunks, and queso fresco. In really wish I had a second stomach to try more of the menu's selections. Thankfully, we have a few more nights in town.

I should also mention that the food is not cheap but the pricing is appropriate given the quality and how the local prices compare. The staff is attentive and friendly. The decor is the most formal of places we have tried in Cabo, but you would not be out of place in a t-shirt.

1 Thank frebelcator
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Upscale Mexican”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was our second visit but not our last. We come to Cabo each year and this is now a favorite. I had a wonderful version of Chilis Rellenos and would order it again. There were many other great dishes that my friends tried as well. They do need to get rid of the tv menu though. It doesn't fit in and is somewhat annoying . The margaritas were perfect however my friend was not happy with her Sangria. The server was very accommodating offering her something else instead.

• Visited March 2013
Cape Cod
“Upscale Traditional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a place for a true sit down dining experience. It was nice to be able to park out front for free and then have a lovely meal, great service, very well rounded menu.
One thing - which I think was kind of funny and out of place. There is a big flat panel tv on which they showcase the dishes, on a loop. It's like a billboard inside the restaurant. If the manager is reading this, I would say you would be better off taking this tv out and putting it in your bar area, once in the dining room, it's a little goofy. Your food is top notch, this sort of thing is not in line with the high level of your establishment. Maybe you feel it helps your guests order, but the service was excellent when we were there, the waiter was perfect with his descriptions of the menu. Thankfully, the waiter turned off the tv for the duration of our meal.

Visited February 2013
Wasilla, Alaska
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Try the weird stuff here: worms, crickets, ant eggs...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

To be honest, I didn't really like what I ordered: a plum sauce rib - huge meal - expensive, and I didn't like it. We also tried crickets - which were worth trying. My son's short ribs were fantastic - and the best of anything we tried. Too much food. Too much money. A tourist trap - with authentic food perhaps - but not the authentic food I was searching for. Great service. Great atmosphere (except for the tv with the images of the various specials including the worms, crickets, and ant eggs). Go to Maria Jimenez - for that special down home authentic mexican restaurant. Water here costs as much as a margarita - so drink it up. No reason to visit again - but the condo concierge's do recommend this place - so be aware. Be brave and try Maria Jimenez instead, you won't be disappointed.

Visited March 2013