“first trip back. Amazing!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa

Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Seattle, Washington
“first trip back. Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

We purchased a unit last year and it was our first trip back. Of course we were nervous- is it going to be as great the 2nd time around, etc. But after the last seven days, we can definitively say that we love it here in Cabo and at Grand Solmar. The rooms and ocean views are fantastic - listening to the Pacific ocean waves crashing is a nice way to relax. What makes the place so special is the staff - super friendly, helpful, and so hard-working. Shout out to the boys at the Sunset Pool (Sergio and Sevino) who brought towels and 2x1s - greeting us with warm smiles and great service. Bruce and Guadalupe at the front desk, all the bell men and housekeeping - keep up the great work! Sad to leave, but can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Still construction going on - so make sure to get some earplugs if you're a light sleeper! All r...
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
We always share heartfelt personalized service and attention to detail.
It was an honor meeting you and family.
Jean Louis and team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Korean first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We fell in love with the Grand Solmar a couple of years ago when we bought a timeshare there. We have upgraded since and have been blessed with beautiful rooms each time. We absolutely LOVE the staff! They make the experience wonderful and really special, especially for our young children. We are always greeted like family by our sweet friends, Sammy and Manny. So much so that Sammy really does feel like family! Our pool boy, Lupe was wonderful and our massages were some of the best we've ever had.....seriously! And we've had massages all over the world! Alicia and Marisol were pros!
We haven't minded the construction too much, although can't wait for it to be done. And really looking forward to the kid's pool and activities. The only downer is that their restaurant is not up to par. The food is good but the service is painfully slow. One night we had 4 adults and 4 little children and didn't get even a slice of bread for over an hour. After an hour and a half sitting there I had to leave with the kids and have my husband bring up my cold entrée. Another night we went out on a date night and our meal lasted 2 hours. Too long for me. I hope they improve the restaurants on the grounds. But the location, the amazing pools and the warm and friendly people make up for it. We love it there!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Our service ambassadors are honored with your visit.
We all look forward for your next year’s vacation with us again.
Most cordially,
Boulder, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I've read reviews like the one I'm writing thinking that would not happen to me because I do my research before I book a hotel. How do I begin? This is my second trip to Cabo and, after the rave reviews about Grand Solmar, I decided to spend a week vacation there. I booked online and paid in full for a Grand Studio. As rates go, Grand Solmar is one of the highest; bested only by the likes of Cappella and Palmilla. So, my expectations was set accordingly. Upon arrival, we were given a dark cave-like studio on the ground floor with a view of the back of their LaRoca restaurant.

I ask the front desk for a different room or an upgrade and the receptionist brought Juan Ramon. With a stoic demeanor, he took me to a suite on the 7th floor with a nice view of the ocean and said this was the only other room available at the Grand SolMar. I thought wonderful; I'll take it. Then, he informed me that he would have to charge me. Feels like a bait and switch but, ok, how much? He said the room would cost an additional $1,000 for the week but he would check with the manager. He came back and said he can offer the room for about $700 including taxes. It didn't feel right but since I wasn't offered any other options I took the room.

After my wife and I settled into the room we noticed there was a lot construction noise outside. As it turns out, the property is under major construction. We're talking about sky crane, jack hammer, concrete saw, high-rise construction less than 50 yards away. Not wanting to make a fuss, I figure they'll stop around 5pm and I can just close the patio door until then to muffle the noise. As it turns out the construction went on from 7-8 in morning until 7-10 at night six days a week. When the pation door was closed, there was a loud buzzing noise near the bedroom. I called house keeping to fix the problem and it was never fix. I finally figured that it was cause by the air conditioner. Since there were 2 air conditioners, I decided to not make a fuss and just turn off the defective one.

So, after 4 days of trying to make the best of the situation, there was a even louder tapping noise in the room. I finally said enough. My wife and I should not have to put up with this anymore. I used my iphone to record the noises with the patio door open and closed as proof this was not acceptable and asked to speak with the manager. The receptionist brought Antonio. I told him our experience and situation and he offered to put us in another slightly smaller suite in another building with the back to the construction and said it was the only other room available at the Grand Solmar. I took the room as the construction noise level was lower as long as we stayed in the bedroom. I felt it was fair to asked Antonio to charge us the upgrade fee for the remaining stay but not for the 4 nights we stayed in the other room. He said he would check with accounting department and get back to me the next day. It seemed odd that the manager would need permission from the accounting department.

The next day, Antonio informed me Grand Solmar wouldn't do anything because Juan Ramon had told me the "discounted upgrade" was for the construction noise. I told Antonio this is simply not true and I welcomed both of them to meet me to get the truth. Antonio declined and asked me to speak to Juan Ramon directly. When I spoke to Juan Ramon later, he refused to acknowledge what happened and said I saw the room and he was clear with me about the noise discount and refused further discussion.

Am I taking crazy pills? Is this how one of TripAdvisor top-rated hotels treats its guests?

33 Thank HotelTramp
We apologize for not have had another unit available at the moment of your kind request.
Most cordially,
omaha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

By far the best trip to mexico in 20 years. I won here and just stayed for the first time. It was fantastic, From Manny in the Valet to Roberto Martinez at the pool side bar, everyone was really professional and remembered our names and drinks and particulars right down to the damiana in my margaritas. These guys and girls rocked. Thanks to the maid who kept our room sparkling every day. I just cant wait to come back.. Thanks Manny, Cesar, Roberto and the crew...

Room Tip: 3301 was perfect with views to die for and ocean waves all night..thisis a corner room with 1 bedroo...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Your kind words had a great motivational impact towards my staff and I thank you for that.
On your next visit with us we will caress your senses like a fresh ocean breeze.
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have owned a timeshare at the Solmar since 1992. I go every Mother's day week. It's a gorgeous location and the weather is excellent. My room is on the 8th floor with an incredible view of the Pacific. Back in 2010 they tore down the old Solmar and started building the new resort called Grand Solmar at Land's End. The new hotel is gorgeous, but it lacks a certain charm and quaintness that the old Solmar had. The staff is very friendly, food is great, but something is missing from the new resort that the old Solmar had. Will continue to go there until my 25 year contract is up in 2017.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Pacific guarantee you an excellent view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sheilah M
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on TA following your recent stay at Grand Solmar. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey. We are delighted to read that the staff helped you to fulfill your vacation expectations.
Warmest regards,
Chino Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Spent an Anniversary Week at the Solmar and must say, I'm so glad we got married so we could celebrate the happy occasion here! If you want to avoid the throngs of crazy Americans and the countless street vendors, this is the place for you. Meticulous grounds and amazing atmosphere. A truly World Class Resort and well worth every dollar without question.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time in sharing your incredible Anniversary Vacation experience with us.
It was our pleasure showing heartfelt personal service at all times.
Big hugs and come back son again.
Beaumont, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed 7 nights at the grand solmar in may 2013 and loved it. We stayed on the 6th floor in building 6 and the studio room was plenty large for 3 adults. The construction did not even bother us at all. But that said we are not the kind to be in our room much except to sleep... They are working everyday except Sunday. The adult only quiet pool is excellent, infinity pool with good views of waves crashing in. The staff at the hotel are very attentive and friendly. We tried the salon and had massages overlooking the ocean, beautiful!! We ate breakfast a few times at the resort and were pleased. We'd walk into town each night for supper. The marina and medano beach are within easy walking distance. I will review restaurants separately if u want to check them out. We did not partake in the timeshare presentation and we were not hassled at all for declining. To get to lovers beach and divorce beach we just climbed over the rocks at the end of the beach. I recommend runners or closed toe shoes... Some rocks are very slippery. If we ever go back to cabo we will stay here again. I hate "party overcrowded all inclusives" where you can't get much sleep or find a pool chair ever. Grand solmar was grand!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ernurseEdmonton
It is very rewarding to read that our cordial staff was the highlight of your stay.
I hope that you had a pleasant return journey.
Cordially,