“Awesome stay in Cabo 7/28-8/4”

Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I am finally getting a moment to write a review about the Pierce's most recent stay in Cabo. First, we were excited that our Hawaii timeshare switched companies and we can now trade with Interval - this allowed us to stay at Grand Solmar. This place is everything like the pictures and MORE that you see online. I'll be uploading pics later. Let me start by saying that all great businesses are only great because of the front line employees they have working for them and the front line employees are a direct reflection on the management of a business. Grand Solmar ranks in that GREAT range. We had the best service from beginning to end and everywhere in between. It started with the front desk. Everyone we encountered at this beautiful resort were wonderful but some stood out. Front desk-kudos to Ana and Juan who were always extremely welcoming and helpful with questions and reservations. They were above and beyond and were professional yet personable. The pools - Ricardo, Brauillo, Javier were all awesome. Ricardo got us set up with our unlimited"food and drink" wristbands which was the best idea ever. Armando, Fredi and Sergio at the pools kept our drinks flowing, made great food recommendations and always ensured there was nothing we were without; not only that but they are just really good people. Armando, Fredi & Sergio-thanks guys, we appreciated not only your service but getting to know all 3 of you. Samuel who worked the front of the hotel wth the golf carts was great; we seemed to get him a lot as a cart driver. We even ran into our housekeeper once and she was so nice - I didn't get her name. That is the only thing we might recommend is putting name cards in the room to let us know who is taking care of our room and who we are tipping. Our room was always impeccably clean. Beds are super comfy- the comfiest we have had in Cabo and this is our third visit.
The restaurant food was great Las Brisas was super yummy for resort food. I will have a separate review for La Roca because we had great breakfast and one amazing dinner with 3 other couples we met at the resort. All in all, we already miss the Grand Solmar and the great people who work there. We will be back and we can't wait!
Only suggestions: names of the housekeeper in the room, Ricardo-pls stock the Negro Modelo and maybe market the food and drink wristbands differently. They are the best deal and Ricardo was able to answer all of our questions around them. Just need more details and some "examples to make them more understandable.
Thanks again for providing us with such a GREAT time and for anyone going there, ask for the Armando margarita!

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have an ocean front view.
2  Thank Lisa K
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

We all are grateful for this magnificent review of yours.
Everyone here has great fun sharing high end Mexican hospitality.
We look forward pampering you, family and friends soon again.
Jean Louis

Write a ReviewReviews (3,266)

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Where do I start?:) This was my families second year at the resort and after last year I thought it couldn't get any better but I was truly mistaken. From the moment we arrived the staff was there to welcome us and do so as if we were family they hadn't seen in only a few days not a year. My kids loved the welcome and the feeling of being "home" while on vacation. We were checked in to our suite right away and vacation was on! The views are endless and the accommodations the best, you are torn with staring out of the views and hitting the pools. Ultimately the pools won and within hours the staff is calling you by name and ensuring your vacation is 5 star. Kudos to the entire pool staff! Big shout to David, Breanjo (i know I spelled that wrong) Richardo and Armondo..Need a drink and don't know what to have, ask these guys they will create one for you! My kids loved the fact they were treated as adults and could be themselves. I highly recommend the meal plan, it is wonderful with families and hanging by the pool. The restaurants food and service again are five star with the chef's choice each evening being creative yet delicious and don't miss the wine and drink pairings that Oscar does a wonderful job of recommending. Chef Daniel and Chef Patricia are always willing to be creative with stunning dishes to ensure your dinner is unforgettable. The servers: Guillermo, Alonzo, Roberto M, Stafno, Lourdes and Juan (both regular and lil) make the dining experience whatever you feel for the night; fun, romantic etc. Luis you have an amazing team! While on vacation we celebrated my parents anniversary. Prior ro our arrival I worked with Alana at the conceirge desk and was able to have a celebration prepared in our suite by Chef Lucas and his team in which my parents are still talking about it. The morning of their anniversary Ruben had their names written in the sand which was such a great surprise and his help with flowers was unquestionable! THANK YOU:) I would be amiss if I didn't mention the incredible entertainment staff at the sister hotel of Roberto and team with a special shout out to Vidi the best kids club sitter EVER (as my daughter says). Our room was always not just clean but spotless so many many thanks to Angelina:) The beds are ones you wish you could pack up and bring home! And last but certainly not least, how do I not complement the front desk and guys who carry you all over the resort, their smiles, recommendations and never ending cheerfulness made you so sorry to leave. So to Leonardo, Monica, Felix, Emmaual and a big hello to Samuel thank you for welcoming us as family and sending us off as family. We are already planning next year's trip and this time we are bringing more family with us. Returning back to reality after vacation is never easy but returning back after time at Grand Solmar is impossible. I am counting down the days till our return. Thank you all for a wonderful and memoriable vacation!! If I have failed to mention anyone I apologize as you were not left off on purpose you ALL are responsible for our wonderful vacation.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Kelli B
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

You are to kind in sharing this amazing review. Everyone here at Grand Solmar will take good care of you and your beloved ones. We’ll give our best in order to fulfill your dreams and expectations.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

As with any vacation experience, you set your own expectations before you arrive and your enjoyment is predicated upon whether or not those expectations are met (or exceeded). Some people don't do their homework and end up not having as good a time because they didn't spend time to learn more about where they are going and what awaits them. From these reviews at Grand Solmar, it's pretty easy for one to have very high expectations of this place. And rightfully so! GRAND SOLMAR WILL EXCEED YOUR EXPECTATIONS.

This was our first stay here with many more to come. Without recycling in detail what others have graciously said about the service, it is worth nothing this up front in my review.

THE STAFF ARE ALWAYS ON THEIR GAME. I know it's cliche to say "they bend over backward" to ensure you are having a good time -- it is oh so true here. From the check-in experience to the poolside service, everyone here is on the same page and each staff member offers extremely polished (but not too stuffy) service. They know when you need your space at the pool or when you need another drink or food order. It's also astounding how they know your name after day 1 and remember what you ate, drank, where you are from....it's like magic! So a HUGE KUDOS to the service/food/beverage managers that groom and successfully manage a well-run staff. The guy at the front desk overheard me saying to my wife "I was glad we are here" and he offered to write her name in the sand on the beach. See pic attached - it scored me huge points with the wife!

WI-FI DOES NOT WORK ANYWHERE BUT IN THE LOBBY. This can rub some people the wrong way, but it is what it is. We didn't come to Cabo to stay connected to the world, quite the opposite actually. I was told they are working to make the whole resort WI-FI friendly, however other guests we met said that's been the story for a few months now. They did offer it for free since there were problems and multiple complaints, so as with any reputable hotel, they did the right thing and did what they could to resolve our issue. So if you have kids that live on Facebook or you yourself happen to be an internet junkie, just expect to make some adjustments to your social media schedule.

SLEEPING LIKE A KING COMES WITH THE TERRITORY. The beds are super comfy and offer any traveler an amazing sleep experience. They have multiple layers of high thread count cotton which make for a wonderful night of somber. We only used the bottom few sheets because it was summertime and we left the doors open at night while enjoying the waves crashing on the shore.

YOU CAN NOT SWIM AT THIS BEACH. But again, that's just something you've got to know before going so EXPECT IT. I think it's a wonderful trade-off from Medano beach where vendors relentlessly peddle knock-off sunglasses, replica soccer jerseys and any club drug of choice for the party crowd. The beach at Grand Solmar is quiet and only a short stroll to the capes ("los cabos") where you can meander over the lover's beach. Wear shoes though, it's a rough climb that's not suitable for the kiddos but can easily be done by anyone that's reasonably fit. The resort is very near the water and allows for soothing nighttime sounds as the huge waves crash onto the beach.

THIS PLACE IS SPOTLESS AND METICULOUSLY MANICURED. The grounds are kept perfectly groomed and tidy. The rooms are cleaned daily and the maids really go the extra miles to ensure the room is cleaned like it's never been stayed in. One night, my kid took red and purple crayons and colored a huge area on the wall. I was certain we would get a nice bill upon checkout, but when we came back to the room later that day, the maid had cleaned it up! So when we left, we left behind a nice tip - we stayed in a 2 bed, 3 bath so we figured $10 per day (for 7 days) was adequate. Maybe that's steep, but we have never seen a room cleaned in such detail and felt a handsome gratuity was more than warranted.

OWNERS GET A 15% DISCOUNT ON FOOD AND DRINK. If you are a timeshare owner, you will get an automatic discount on your food and beverage purchases. It's in their system and automatically adds it to the bill when you close your tab (pool, restaurant, etc.) If you book a tour through the concierge, owners are also eligible to receive discounts on certain things as well. We booked the Buccaneer Queen snorkel tour and got a 15% discount than if we booked directly from the Buccaneer Queen's website - and we did our homework to ensure we were actually getting a legit discount. Playa Grande (sister property next door with free shuttle) has a mini golf setup if you want to kill an hour, we played for $37 USD with 4 adults and 2 kids. They also have a mini-mart for basic groceries, but your best bet is to visit Wal-Mart in town. It's actually quite nice!

Overall, one helluva place to stay. Didn't want to leave....you will see why if you stay here.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank HoustonBeachBums
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Thank you for such a wonderful review.
We will always give our best and try to maintain our personalized service specially and meticulously manicured for your enjoyment.
Most cordially,

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I just came back from Grand Solmar and I was so sad to leave. This was my second time to Grand Solmar. The place is amazing and the minute I arrived I felt so relaxed. All units face the ocean so it was great to have my morning tea watching the ocean and the boats going by. Also besides the resort being beautiful, it was very clean. My room was cleaned everyday and there was nightly turn down service. I never had to worry about anything.

I hung out by the infinity pool with friends. It was so relaxing and I loved going into the infinity pool and watch the ocean. My friends and I had lunch by the pool everyday. Freddy took great care of us. Definitely order the sushi and margaritas. Freddy was so nice, friendly, and really took care of us. It was just so nice to have someone take care of us and hard to say good bye to Freddy.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank laura h
Jean_Louis_Magron, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

One of our goals is to provide a memorable vacation experience to all of our guests and owners.
Most cordially,

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I am on my way out from Grand Solmar and had some time before the shuttle came and pick my friend and I up. We are already planning a trip for next year. My friend and I work in education and this our last hurrah before the school year. We decided to have a relaxing trip. We stayed mostly on the property and hung out by the pool. We preferred the back infinity pool, very relaxing, quiet, and few children. We ordered lunch by the pool and the food was fantastic especially the sushi. There is a happy hour from 3-6 and you can get 2 for 1 drinks and they are proper drinks, nothing watered down. Freddy was our waiter at the pool for the time we were there and he took amazing care of us. Freddy is very attentive, friendly, and so conscientious of his job. I think Freddy knew what I wanted before I did.

The place is very clean and has modern amenities. Every room in Grand Solmar has an ocean view. Also you get full maid service everyday with turn down at night (not common for a time share). Everyone is very friendly and helpful. Plus I actually had 7 days of uninterupted sleep.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sassy1372

Thank you for reserving your next year’s vacations with us all ready. We will be waiting for you to enjoy little nice surprises again.

Reviewed August 4, 2012

I could not agree more with the great reviews of this place. The views were out of this world. The grounds were spotless. Our room was…WOW! And I could write a book about how spectacular the staff was. My family and I truly felt like royalty from the second we got to the resort until we were dropped off at the airport. From sunrise to sunset, the staff went above and beyond to make our vacation unforgettable. The pool side bar staff (Armando, Brujulio, Freddy, Andres, and Alejandro) remembered everyone in our group’s names, favorite drinks, and we enjoyed joking around with them just as much as they enjoyed serving us. Our group decided to go all inclusive for a few days. We highly recommend it. It was nice to drink and eat all day poolside without a worry and the staff was sure to make sure we got our money’s worth. The food and drinks were all delicious! I recommend a dirty monkey, chicken fajitas, and the guacamole. My mother, aunt, and myself all got massages on the beach which were simply amazing and made us all feel like queens. I think one of the best things about this resort is the people that stay here. It is one of those places where you can’t simply say “hello” to someone without having at least an hour long conversation with them. We made some fantastic friends and have already booked next year’s stay at Grand Solmar.
They don’t have an entertainment staff, but as a 22 year old girl going on vacation with my parents, I still found people my age to hang out around with and was never bored.
We also went Zip Lining with Cabo Adventures which was so much fun and as safe as can be. (Even the elderly woman enjoyed herself!)
The only downside to the stay was that there was no music poolside, unless I plugged up my ipod to some dated computer speakers. And the dinners at the restaurant took almost 3 hours, a little lengthy in my opinion.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view of the beach!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

We are thrilled you had an incredible nice and fun vacation. Freddy and the others are ready to pamper you again as your vacation time its precious for us to.
Big hugs,

Reviewed August 4, 2012

This resort is by far the finest resort in Cabo. The rooms, the staff, the grounds, and most of all the service are all top notch. From the moment we arrived we were treated like family by Emanuel and his staff. As he delivered us to the lobby to check in, refreshments were waiting upon our arrival. This was the start of a GREAT vacation!!! Leonardo hooked us up with a fantastic room (7602) overlooking the adult pool and with fantastic views of the Pacific Ocean. Each morning we had the pleasure to view messages (Happy Birthday, Anniversaries, etc) written in the sand for other guests of the resort. I thought this was a nice touch. We introduced ourselves to the one of the best bartending staffs on site, Armando and servers: Braulio, Freddy, Andres, and Alejandro. We thought it was important to get to know them, afterall we planned on spending a lot of time around the bar area. What we did not plan, was how well they got to know us. They knew all or our names within minutes and remembered all of our favorite drinks. Upon their recommendations, we even tried a few others (which quickly became our NEW favorites). I honestly believe they enjoyed the party-like atmosphere as much as our group of six could muster. As the week progressed, we met some fantastic people and our party of six doubled in size. Everyone, including the staff, had a great time as the party continued for several days. We have only been back from Cabo less than 2 weeks and we have already scheduled our next trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

It is so rewarding when our guests and owners share their fun vacations with others.
For us it’s a privilege to pamper each and everyone.