“Wonderful resort, but a few unnecessary kinks....” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa

Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Austin, Texas
“Wonderful resort, but a few unnecessary kinks....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Overall, we love the Grand Solmar! This is my 3rd time to stay at the resort and I must say, it is breathtakingly beautiful! My mother is an owner and allowed us to use her floating week for a couples getaway. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with wonderful service and margaritas! The staff at the front are always ready to serve you with a smile on their faces. Sammy and Manny are two of my favorites and the golf cart ride to the lobby is always fun. At the pool bar, Sabino was awesome at making our fresh Strawberry margaritas with Don Julio, and Brunilo and Freddy kept our glasses and tummies full with wonderful pool-side food.

Now for the frustrating kinks I experienced this last trip. First, I had contacted the concierge to inquire about chef services provided by the resort. She very promptly put me in touch with the catering department. I NEVER heard back from anyone regarding this service (we wanted two nights of in-villa cooking, which would have been a very nice sale for them). I followed up at least 3 times with no response whatsoever. I felt like this was very unprofessional and I had also made it clear that I wanted the details ironed out prior to my arrival so that I could enjoy my vacation. Since we never heard from anyone, I contacted a friend of mine (who I have known for 5 years in Cabo) and he offered to do the grocery shopping and we could cook together in our unit. He lives in Cabo, knows the grocery stores and I thought this would be a great alternative to having a chef come in (since I never heard from anyone at the Grand Solmar). He actually is a great cook and we enjoyed cooking local cuisine together and making fresh margaritas. He came to the Grand Solmar 3 different occasions and the last evening, he was given trouble by the staff and was accused of being a chef. He brought his friend and he left to get us icecream and they would not let him back in. I went to the front desk to explain that they were my guests for the evening and that I authorized them to come and go. I was told that I did not need to sign them in, but they had thought they were chefs. I explained the relationship and they said everything was fine. An hour later (after I was out of the shower and in a towel), someone came back to our unit and inquired if they were cooking. At this point (after 3 separate conversations about my guests), I was getting really frustrated. I went back to the lobby and asked to speak with the manager (I'm not sure if he was or wasn't), and he informed me that visitors are required to be signed in (not what I had been told an hour earlier) and that visiting hours are 8am-9pm. This was news to me! I really felt like the whole ordeal was very frustrating and as owners, I do not want my guests being treated that way. The catering department could have ensured that we were taken care of by returning my inquiries, but they did not. Also, I don't understand why the unit has a kitchen if you don't want your guests cooking. After being in Cabo for a week, we wanted a home cooked meal or two and I don't know why it ended up being such an ordeal.

Lastly, the checkout procedures need to improve. We asked for our bill and planned to split it equally between 3 cards for each of the couples. The first card went through without a problem, the second card (same amount) was charged for $100 more than the cost and the third card was charged $50 more. The process to give a credit requires paperwork and checkout ended up taking over 25 minutes to resolve all of this. Needless to say, not really the way you want to end your stay.

Overall, we really did have a great time, we just encountered a few frustrating incidents that need to be improved upon. I feel that the resort has been open long enough that these should be taken care of. If you go to the Grand Solmar, you are guaranteed great service by the wait and bell staff, wonderful food and beautiful accomodations. I will definitely be returning, but hope that I don't have to go through any of this again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lovetotravel1225

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (921)
  • Korean first
Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

The facilities and views are wonderful but we felt so welcomed by the staff. Especially Emmanuel who helped us and took care of us when we did not understand something. Thanks, "Manny"! Everyone was great!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Sand73OK
, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear Sand73, we all take great pride in pampering all of our guests.
It was an honor having you stayed with us.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Overall, we had a good experience but we not return if we couldn't guarantee where we were staying prior to arriving, which reportedly will never happen unless you are a timeshare owner. As NON-timeshare owners, it’s much more of a gamble if you want closest to the ocean( and in this case away from construction). As an owner you know exactly what to expect.

Thankfully we were upgraded for 3 nights. If we had not received something in one of the two buildings closest to the ocean and away from the construction, we would have canceled our reservation and stayed elsewhere. We were informed that no amount of months advance requests, inquiries could guarantee a 1 bedroom close to the ocean.

Pros:
ROOMS that are ocean front and away from construction.

SERVICE
Some people were excellent. Braulio at the pool was hands down the best. He definitely embodied 5 star service. Daniela at the front desk genuinely wanted us to have a memorable experience. While we didn't encounter them often, Renzo, Angelina, Freddy, Jesus and Felix made memorable impressions.

Pools and location
The infinity pools against the ocean were stunning. The location was gorgeous. It never bothered me that I couldn't swim in the ocean.

The food:
We were overall satisfied. Most seafood entrees, tacos, appetizers were very good. Chips and salsa were exactly as we like it. The filet mignon was terrible as was the sushi.

Cons:
Studio or 1 bedroom suites or perhaps any room facing construction. For a couple that is looking for a few days of true relaxation, construction at 7:30 am is the antithesis of vacation. So is the huge crane. People appeared surprised to hear we didn't like it!!

I expect at least 6-12 more months of construction based on what we saw. This is not an issue for someone who owns a timeshare and knows exactly what they are paying for, construction and all.

Additionally, Most hotels charge extra for an ocean-front as opposed to ocean view and I would suggest this to Grand Solmar as an option for future HOTEL guests who do not like being over a pool.

SMALL THING
The manmade waterfall is SOO loud at night it takes away from the sound of the ocean waves.

FRONT DESK
There are still some quirks that need to be worked out at the front desk. We had a particularly frustrating experience upon checkout when my husband handed a credit card to cover the charges and the slip that was given back to him was a different credit card number (the one we held the room with). He didn't realize this until our bank accounts were frozen 20 minutes later. THEN we were told that we still owed 2 dollars. Why in the world the 2 dollars wasn't added the first time is beyond us but my husband figured that it was an oversight because it was so busy (try and avoid checking in/out on Timeshare Saturday).

The most frustrating part was being told that my husband requested this ridiculous transaction. I asked the man," why would my husband give a new card to someone and say ' Look at it but hey, Don’t use it." This error was probably just a simple mistake, but it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you get blame and no apologies for causing you a huge stress.

LANGUAGE
To some of the staff. Don’t ever assume that someone does not speak or understand Spanish. If you wouldn’t say it in English, don’t say it in Spanish.

Overall, it is a beautiful TIMESHARE property. It does not meet my expectations of a reliable luxury hotel.

Room Tip: the 2 and 3 bedroom suites seemed to be a safe bet for hotel guest that want ocean front.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ebethy
Dear Elizabeth, it was our pleasure being of service to you.
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We were seven adults staying in the four bedroom penthouse in October 2011. There are only two four bedroom penthouses, which are roof top, and they are the only ones that have private pool and jacuzzi, I believe they are 6,300 sq ft. We loved it - very high end accommodations, sweeping views, and the outdoor space was unbelievable. There were a few language barriers with the maids, but these were minor inconveniences. The service at the pool was awesome and the happy hour drinks delicious and affordable. We spent most of the time on the rooftop since we had a private pool, with jacuzzi, fireplace on the balcony, couches, etc, but the VIP pool area was very nice too. It's close to town and with beautiful views. No swimmable beach here, but this resort is not about that, it's charm comes from high end accommodations, adult oriented atmosphere, great customer service, and sweeping oceanviews. We are going back spring break 2013, in a two bedroom penthouse, looking forward to it. Thumbs up.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank aprata
, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Aprata, we are thirlled you loved our gorgeous 6300sqft four bedroom penthouse with great customer service, and sweeping oceanviews.
Bring more friends next time.
Uniontown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

I have been skeptical of my purchase of the time shares at Grand Solmar but every time we return it just keeps getting better. The sales pitch could be a little less, as we were trying to relax from our hard work weeks and did not want bothered this trip, but the sales team was diligent in trying to get us to an owners meeting. Eric T. is the only sales agent I would use from the three individuals that we have experienced and he is very professional.

Our arrival is ALWAYS wonderful with Manny, Sammy, and their team promptly assisting with baggage removal and getting them to the room. If I would ever setup an office in Cabo, I would be looking to hire Manny and Sammy first thing. These gentlemen are smart, know the area, polite, always friendly and treat you like family. Grand Solmar is truly blessed having them on their team, greeting the arrivals and sadden departing guests.

I would like to thank the excellent bartenders, wait staff and chefs at Las Brisas. The food was always prepared with professionalism and always tasty for a pool side restaurant. They will make sushi to your liking and requests, if it is not on the menu. Sabino, Sergio, David, and Freddy (who goes by many names), were always prompt and ready to put a smile on your face. I watch some guests call these guys by different names and it unset me but them... it was not an issue. These gentlemen always made our walk by them or stay with them a very enjoyable one.

La Roca offers very elegant dining experiences with the breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean at Dinner. I would recommend the chefs selection every evening as we were presented a magnificent 5 coarse meal that was worth every peso. The wine selection is limited and should be improved to compliment the amazing presentation, flavors, and experience. Oscar was prompt, polite and professional. He was most helpful with the chef’s preparation of our deep sea fishing rewards. The Mahi-Mahi we ate was some of the best I have ever had and this is from a guy that lived in Hawaii.

The construction noise continues but as a construction expert, I am amazed at the progress made each time we come down here. You don’t hear any cat calling or even see the guys staring at any of the guests around the pool. I am looking forward to the day when I don’t hear the hammer drills and grinders but with progress there is a little pain.

The room cleaning was always to our liking and when we needed it and not when they were available to do it. The senoritas always were polite and proofed to be efficient at their jobs. The only complaint we had with the room where the quantity of wash clothes, hand, and body towels left daily. I had to call down a number of times to receive more of such a trivial item. There should be extra’s provided in the rooms each day for whatever means the guests require.

We took some friends with us this trip and they truly loved the placed and could not believe the views from B1 and surround grounds. This location is quite and so secluded but yet it is a 10 minute walk to the harbor. This is one reason we love it, purchased at this spot, and would recommend any one thinking of staying or buying to definitely look at Grand Solmar. With the staff and location, “You will not be disappointed.”

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jeff M
Dear Jeff, we will always be there for you, family and friends.
Fresh catch of the day is definitely a must. Chef Hector loved your statement; The Mahi-Mahi we ate was some of the best I have ever had and this is from a guy that lived in Hawaii.
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

My wife and I went to Grand Solmar for my sister's wedding. We have never been to Cabo, but thanks to the amazing staff and the hotel itself, we will definitely be back. I have never seen such wonderful service. Below is a list of my thoughts:
1. Angelina at the front desk is best employee ever! She helped fix a small problem we had without being asked to help. This is her first job ever and has only been working there fore 3 months. When you go, drop by and say hello to her.
2. Sam, bellman. Quick with a joke, and always remembers our names. Very helpful with restaurants. I highly suggest the 3rd taco truck, at the bottom of the hill from the hotel.
3. David Ojeda- waiter- very friendly and helpful. He was great at my sister's wedding!
4. They did an amazing job with my sister's wedding. Gazebo overlooking the beach and ocean. I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a destination wedding.

Beautiful weather, beautiful scenary, perfect relaxation. Couldn't have asked for anything more!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Dear Chris S, it’s very rewarding to read that we did exceed your Service Expectations.
We love to have WEDDINGS, so please celebrate your first anniversary with us again.
Most cordially,
Tigard, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

What a fantastic vacation we just experienced at the Grand Solmar Resort. All of the staff were so friendly and attentive and made the whole experience much more pleasant. The food and drinks were great, the rooms were really nice and even though they were doing construction, it didn't bother us at all. There are 3 pools, so we spent most of our time at the adult pool, which is quite a ways away from the construction. Highly recommend the resort.

Room Tip: Lower floors don't have much of an ocean view but it is easy to get places w/o having to use the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janno6052096
Dear Janno, Thank you for allowing us to make your vacation experience so pleasant.
Big hugs from me and my team.