Overall, we love the Grand Solmar! This is my 3rd time to stay at the resort and I must say, it is breathtakingly beautiful! My mother is an owner and allowed us to use her floating week for a couples getaway. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted with wonderful service and margaritas! The staff at the front are always ready to serve you with a smile on their faces. Sammy and Manny are two of my favorites and the golf cart ride to the lobby is always fun. At the pool bar, Sabino was awesome at making our fresh Strawberry margaritas with Don Julio, and Brunilo and Freddy kept our glasses and tummies full with wonderful pool-side food.
Now for the frustrating kinks I experienced this last trip. First, I had contacted the concierge to inquire about chef services provided by the resort. She very promptly put me in touch with the catering department. I NEVER heard back from anyone regarding this service (we wanted two nights of in-villa cooking, which would have been a very nice sale for them). I followed up at least 3 times with no response whatsoever. I felt like this was very unprofessional and I had also made it clear that I wanted the details ironed out prior to my arrival so that I could enjoy my vacation. Since we never heard from anyone, I contacted a friend of mine (who I have known for 5 years in Cabo) and he offered to do the grocery shopping and we could cook together in our unit. He lives in Cabo, knows the grocery stores and I thought this would be a great alternative to having a chef come in (since I never heard from anyone at the Grand Solmar). He actually is a great cook and we enjoyed cooking local cuisine together and making fresh margaritas. He came to the Grand Solmar 3 different occasions and the last evening, he was given trouble by the staff and was accused of being a chef. He brought his friend and he left to get us icecream and they would not let him back in. I went to the front desk to explain that they were my guests for the evening and that I authorized them to come and go. I was told that I did not need to sign them in, but they had thought they were chefs. I explained the relationship and they said everything was fine. An hour later (after I was out of the shower and in a towel), someone came back to our unit and inquired if they were cooking. At this point (after 3 separate conversations about my guests), I was getting really frustrated. I went back to the lobby and asked to speak with the manager (I'm not sure if he was or wasn't), and he informed me that visitors are required to be signed in (not what I had been told an hour earlier) and that visiting hours are 8am-9pm. This was news to me! I really felt like the whole ordeal was very frustrating and as owners, I do not want my guests being treated that way. The catering department could have ensured that we were taken care of by returning my inquiries, but they did not. Also, I don't understand why the unit has a kitchen if you don't want your guests cooking. After being in Cabo for a week, we wanted a home cooked meal or two and I don't know why it ended up being such an ordeal.
Lastly, the checkout procedures need to improve. We asked for our bill and planned to split it equally between 3 cards for each of the couples. The first card went through without a problem, the second card (same amount) was charged for $100 more than the cost and the third card was charged $50 more. The process to give a credit requires paperwork and checkout ended up taking over 25 minutes to resolve all of this. Needless to say, not really the way you want to end your stay.
Overall, we really did have a great time, we just encountered a few frustrating incidents that need to be improved upon. I feel that the resort has been open long enough that these should be taken care of. If you go to the Grand Solmar, you are guaranteed great service by the wait and bell staff, wonderful food and beautiful accomodations. I will definitely be returning, but hope that I don't have to go through any of this again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Solmar is the new standard of luxury in Cabo San Lucas. Thoughtfulness and thoroughness are the trademarks of this grand resort. Every detail was considered right down to the intricate designs in the walkways, the stone entries to the rooms and the construction of subterranean passages so the busy staff does not interrupt relaxing guests. The award-winning design combines the grace of old world architecture with carefully crafted modern style. And the location will leave you speechless. A natural cliff forms the backdrop and guides guests to a lobby complete with a spectacular view of the mighty Pacific Ocean. From here, you can see pelicans soaring over golden sands and sailboats scooting across blue waves. Just feet away is the very tip of the Baja Peninsula in all its sun-drenched glory. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Solmar Land`s End Resort And Spa
- Grand Solmar Land`s End Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos