“Very nice place with great service - Construction can be ignored”

Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed January 3, 2012

We just got back from an 11 day stay. We have an 8 month old and a 3 1/2 year old. We rented a master and connected junior suite - which was huge overkill, but we enjoyed the extra space. We found the other reviews here to be very accurate so I will only hit the highlights.

Staff - great and very helpful. These folks will really go out of there way to help if they can.

Rooms - very large and comfortable. We had a room with the view of the sunset and you know, the construction can be ignored. Our 3 year old actually liked the crane and we had lots of discussions about it. Would I like it to "go away" - sure, but it didn't hurt our trip at all. I do agree the hotel should "own up" to the construction and offer some type of "construction discount" - I suspect they would get more travel in the off peak that way. The 4 Seasons did that in Hawaii successfully.

The only restaurant (there is only 1 active) was hit and miss, but the hits were pretty good. The burger or simple chicken taco's for lunch were great and we had them multiple times.

The pools are great - almost heated too much. They must have been getting feedback because the front pool (by the ocean) had a different temp everyday, but all were very warm. We really liked all the pools and the service by them.

The walk downtown was about 13 minutes and we opted to do that most of the time (even with the 3 year old). If you take a cab it is $6 usd. We would walk down to the Marina and cab it back home.

I left my golf clubs with the front desk folks (who were not used to this) and they quickly adapted and when I would go play they would pull them "from storage" and get me to a cab. This worked great and I was very happy with that. Keep in mind that the big courses (Cabo del Sol and Cabo Real) are $25-$30 cab rides away, so plan accordingly.

Room service - OK food. Don't expect much and you will be happy. You have a huge kitchen so it is worth stocking on a few things while you are there.

Laundry at the old Solmar "sucks" - machines barely worked. We hired a local Nanny who showed us a place close-by that did laundry at very cheap prices. It was just down the bottom of the hill and I would look for that if you have a family. Just put your clothes in a roller bag and take a cab on your way to lunch/dinner.

Spa - have to go to sister hotel Playa Grande and I have to admit their deep tissue massage was pretty weak. Also cost $150. We *did* learn they had their own services in open huts at the end of the resort (from other guests) and tried that and it was much better ($130) and right on the ocean with POUNDING waves. Would do that again - ran out of time. Love the waves....

On the construction - yes there is a lot of it. They have it contained as you can see from my photo. We were on the 8th floor of building 6 and had no complaints. It is inconvenient to take golf carts to get to the cab stop, but we just started walking. Construction did not impact our pool experience in any way - in fact the crane was interesting to watch. Initially I was worried about my room, but after 11 nights I have no complaints. They do start at 7am, but the waves are so loud I barely noticed. Hint - do leave your sliding door open 2 inches so you can hear the ocean.

2 weird things to mention

We had another family who were staying there also for a shorter trip. They had 2 grown up kids and the room had 1 murphy bed. They asked for a folding bed/cot and hotel didn't offer them. So we solved it by giving them one of the (2) murphy bed mattresses we weren't using. So simple, but they didn't seem to get it. To be fair no one mentioned the mattress that appeared out of no where and they had a great 6 night stay. We returned it before they left and we never heard anything about it.

Other thing regarding child-care. We were told (via email from concierge) that getting a babysitter would be "very difficult" during the holiday week and their prices were "not negotiable." So we went with another TripAdvisor recommendation and hired a local firm who acted as Nannies for our entire trip. #1 having the local folks to help us with our dining and activities was critical and they were very flexible. We also got a nice discount because of the amount of hours we used.
--- The weird thing was the hotel was fine with this from Dec 20-24th and all of a sudden on the 24th they would not admit my nanny to the property and I had to have some words with the manager. He said it was "not allowed" and he visited twice before I had to write a note saying the hotel wasn't responsible. I don't know if they realized that I was about to move to another resort if they tried to take my childcare. It worked out fine - but if you go local make sure you don't have this problem. We used the nannies for rest of trip without a problem.

Great place for kids - but you need to keep an eye on them. My 3 year old girl (fully dressed) tripped by a fountain feature right behind the front desk and ended up in the fountain (3 feet deep and below ground) - everyone was fine and the hotel folks were horrified and could not have been better at responding. We noticed they have velvet ropes there now ;-) Thanks folks for helping with that. My little one learned a good lesson as it was quite shocking.

Do keep an eye on little kids - lots of pools and water features to fall into so you must keep that in mind.

And - I only got a 1/2 hearted attempt at a timeshare pitch. I was pretty firm in my "no interest" and they never tried again. I did get another push at a golf course, but when your getting into a cab it is pretty easy to say goodbye. Reality - nothing is free, if you hear an offer of any kind - it is the sales pitch.

This place was expensive but very nice. I look forward to going back when their done building and the kids are a little older. I would definitely go back.

I'm leaving out a bunch of detail because the other positive reviews cover the great scenes, landscaping, room quality and others better than I could. It is all true - we just got back.

Room Tip: Get above the 4th floor and you will love it.
1  Thank Matt321
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Dear Matt, we had great fun to indulge you, your wife and little ones.
Please come back soon again and enjoy the Cabo breeze.

There are newer reviews for Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Two couples spent a week in a beautiful 2-bedroom penthouse overlooking the Pacific Ocean. That can’t be denied. The room was out of one of those travel magazines --- you know, the rooms that you see but never visit!

Grand Solmar is in a great location on an out-of-the-way beach where you will not see any locals selling t-shirts, jewelry or anything else. You are about 200 yards from Land’s End – do take a hike over the mountain to Lover’s Beach. Look for Rudy hiding in one of the caves at the bottom, he’ll guide you over for a small gratuity.

Check –In: went smoothly, no issues but were asked to do a timeshare presentation and we should have refused. Refuse it, no matter what they promise you. If you go, be prepared for a very long, drawn-out event with sales pressure galore.

We were brought from the first lobby-area by golf cart to the front desk and given a welcome cocktail. Very nice.

Room: Take a look at the pictures and see for yourself. Beautiful. Three bathrooms, kitchen, etc. plus a balcony that was bigger than I could ever have expected. The room was very nice, but probably overkill.

Beach/Pool Areas: You can’t swim in the ocean here, so don’t even try. As soon as you get close someone employed by the property comes running up to you and asks you for your room number. Just as well since the infinity pools are very nice. Just be careful of the pool-side waiters --- well, maybe I shouldn’t just lump them all together. We had a less-than-satisfactory experience with David who, clearly, tried to rip us off by padding our pool-side bill – I guess he thought we were too inebriated to review it. We weren’t and it was revised.

There are three pools but we only used two – the family pool (in the middle) and the quiet pool (to the left, near the spa area). Be careful, you’re not allowed to bring your own food or drink to the pool areas.

Timeshare Presentation: Like I said earlier, don’t go. If you do go, however, be aware that you will spend much longer than the promised 90-minutes. Ours was over three hours. If you aren’t interested, say so up front, but don’t expect your host to take that into consideration.

Also, if you take the food and beverage room credit be aware that it does not include tax or gratuities. Ours didn’t say that and we were very surprised upon check-out. Also, be very careful of the people at the end of the sales presentation, as you are about to get your gifts. They aren’t part of the Grand Solmar timeshare sales staff; they sell memberships to Gold Crown Resorts. You don’t have to speak with them, so don’t.

Overall, we had a very nice time in Cabo and Grand Solmar is a beautiful resort, but beware of the rude and lying sales staff. I can't stress that enough.

PM me if you want more info.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Shellhead

Thank you for sharing your comments with us, they help us to improve our skills.
As you certainly know, in a worldwide state of the art resorts to bring down to the pool your own beverages and munchies it’s not permitted and does look cheap, so thank you for respecting other owners and guests.
Time Share presentation is always on a voluntarily basis but thanks for bringing this up to our attention.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

We arrived at Grand Solmar from the U.S. on December 28th, 2011, and planned to stay for four nights. We had booked our trip in early November, and it was confirmed on December 24th. When we arrived at the hotel, we were told that they did not have a room for us, and told us that our only option was to stay at their sister resort, Playa Grande. We took a shuttle with a staff member over to Playa Grande, where he tried to sell us on the mini golf course and lobby bar, as if that was what we were looking for on a vacation. He then took us to a ground floor room, that was dingy and had no view. So though we had planned to have a relaxing vacation at what was supposed to be the #4 rated hotel in Cabo (according to Trip Advisor), we were instead expected to settle for the #22 hotel and its mini golf course. Also, we were told that we would only be refunded $160 total for our whole stay, and that that was the price difference between the two hotels. A quick internet search showed that Grand Solmar was going for at least $200 more a night than Playa Verde. To salvage our vacation, we used a mobile phone to book at a completely different resort, where we had to pay last minute prices. At this point, the only thing we have received from a Grand Solmar is an email sent December 29th telling us to contact the travel site we booked through for a refund. That is it.
I would strongly advise against ever booking with Grand Solmar or any affiliated resort, unless you want to arrive on your vacation, to find that there is no room for you.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
20  Thank NYChoneymooners21
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

Dear NYChoney,
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced with respect to an unforeseen booking situation in the entire group.
We are already working on solutions that will prevent similar problems from occurring in the future.
Please give us a chance to show to you our appreciation by contacting our onsite sales representative.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

We completed our week in the Eagle's Nest on the Ridge at Playa Grande and spent an additional two days at Grand Solmar. It was outstanding!!

Stunning rooms, views and amenities. We highly recommend the property and look forward to returning soon.

The restaurant was wonderful as well.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Ronfromvirginia
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2012

Dear Virginia, it was an honor being of service to you and beloved ones.
Happy New Year!
Best wishes from your Grand Solmar family.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

1. The resort itself is beautifully manicured. The natural "stone mountains" are reminiscent of the buildings Casa Mila in Barcelona, Spain by the architect Gaudí

2. The highlight of our stay was the personal service and sincere effort on all staff members to ensure all guests are treated with respect and courtesy to ensure a more than pleasant vacation. The genuinely friendly staff were amazingly helpful and went out of their way to keep us occupied such that we never had to leave the hotel (it being our third time in Cabos, we didn't feel the need to go to town too often).

3. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED HOTEL RESTAURANT "Las Rocas." Normally, we dislike hotel restaurants for being over-priced, boring without various selections, and not-so-fresh due to low turn over rates. However, this hotel restaurant is exceptional. It is very reasonably priced and a great value for the quality especially when compared to uber-touristy local restaurants (please do not go to "Mi Casa"). It offers a variety of food choices and you can request tasting menus that provide a large variety of traditional Mexican dishes with fine presentation. The food can be SO FRESH that if you plan to dine and request fish, executive Chef, Hector Manuel Lucas will get fresh market fish that same day so your dinner. In addition, every day the Pastry Chef: Carlos Medel bakes homemade bread for everything including the hamburgers and makes all the pastries in house. Most importantly he is enthusiastic about baking and creating fun, tasty pieces of art. It's highly recommended that you let executive Chef, Hector Manuel Lucas and his staff --Sous Chef: Guillermo Carmona, and cocineros: Marco Antonio Espinosa and Emanuel "El Perro"--take care of you from start to finish. Thanks to Chef Hector Lucas, we were given the opportunity to spend time helping out in the kitchen which was THE HIGHLIGHT OF OUR STAY. Thus, I know first-hand that this is a well-organized, extremely clean kitchen that takes making fresh, tasty, innovative food very seriously-- a great benefit for the guests!

4. Last but not least THANK YOU to the manager Edar and General manager Jean Louis Magron for their hospitality. We felt so welcome and like family here because of the service that was made possible largely in part by their wonderful service. Their actions are proof of the importance of necessity of hiring extremely skilled managers to manage by setting a good example of competence and a genuine desire to ensure all guests are taken care of.

Truly wonderful experience -- definitely recommended! If we come back for a fourth time to Cabos, we will no doubt consider staying at Grand Solmar Land's End again!

In response to others reviewers:
Re: Gym. It's a new hotel so it is completely understandable that they have not YET finished constructing their fitness center as of December 27th 2011. They are working on the gym and in the interim they do provide a complimentary shuttle to the sister resort: Playa Grande where you can use the gym for a fee or, if you ask very nicely, you may be able to get a complimentary pass. The sister hotel is in close distance to the hotel so you could even run there like I did as a warm up to your work out--around 6 minutes.
Re: "Timeshare push." We did not ever feel a "timeshare push" was being imposed on us. Although we noticed other people touring the resort with a timeshare "broker," they were not aggressive with guests who were not part of their group. In conclusion, it's avoidable and did not feel like unwanted aggressive behavior.

1  Thank shimbubu
mil081, General Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

Dear Shimbubu from New York City,
We were honored with your visit and enjoyed immensively every single day of your stay with us.
“Personal service, genuinely friendly staff, & fantastic restaurant.”
Also our cordial time share executives are here to assist you during your stay and this last without being invasive.
We humbly define ourselves as PASSIONATE individuals.
Most cordially,

Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed at Grand Solmar in December and it was outstanding. The beach and ocean are beautiful as are the nearby cliffs. The resort is beautiful and the infinity pools are stunning. The pools were incredibly warm and wonderful to be in. The rooms are spacious, well appointed, nicely decorated and very clean. The kitchen has a large refrigerator, cook top stove, microwave, coffee maker, blender and toaster for those travelers that like to cook on their holidays. The rooms on the lower level can get a little noisy from people moving furniture around on the tile floors above, which could be lessened with felt on the bottoms of the furniture. Laundry facilities are located at Solmar or Playa Grande, there is no current laundry at Grand Solmar. There is a small store on site with a small selection of toiletries, medication, some food and alcohol. The staff are incredibly helpful and very friendly. Manny, Sammy, Eddie, Felix and Joel made our stay outstanding. They went the extra mile and even searched for us poolside to tell us baby turtles were being released at the beach. Manny took us directly to the site of the turtle release and handed our two boys each a baby turtle. It was a real highlight of our trip. The cookies with the turn down service at night are a lovely treat. Poolside service is prompt and the food and drinks are delicious. David, Estrella and the other waiters at Las Brisas were wonderful. We were a little uneasy bringing our two young children to a resort in Mexico under construction but the construction area is well fenced off and secure and there was no risk to our children who happily ran about. Construction noise was a little noisy by Las Brisas but there were many other pools further away for quiet and relaxation. The ocean on this side is not safe for swimming and there are advisories to not go near the shore break due to heavy surf and undertow. On the beach is a security guard on an ATV warning travelers to stay back as there have been drownings on the Pacific side. There is enough beach in the winter season for children to play in the sand well away from the surf but always need to be watched carefully. We booked an amazing photo shoot on the property with Adventure Photos and were incredibly happy with the pictures. We also took our children to the kids club at Playa Grande. The lady running the kids club (?Beattie or Virdi?) is wonderful. I think the fee does deter some people from enrolling their children in this service. I would definitely recommend the Grand Solmar to family and friends and can't wait to go back.

4  Thank 4oceanlovers
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2011

We where trilled with you and family and yes, Grand Solmar it’s a GEM but this last thanks to all of our guests and owners.
We wish you happy holidays and come back soon again.

Reviewed December 27, 2011

Overall: Average Resort Hotel, has nice attributes, but has some flaws. Having stayed in Cabo before and a couple of Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton's across the world, this hotel is bland.

The good and bad:
1.) The Hotel is still under construction. So expect to hear banging noises if staying in Building 6. Upon check-in, we asked to be placed in a room away from the construction and we were placed right next to it.

2.) The exterior doors slam shut. Expect to hear banging doors at all hours of the day and night.

3.) The dinner style sitting area in the room is nice, but I would have preferred a couch. The chairs sliding across the floor make a horrible noise. The kids next door made a game out of moving chairs across the tile floor at 12am one night and it was miserable.

4.) La Roca is the only restaurant in Grand Solmar. The food was nothing to write home about. Service is terribly slow... terribly slow. I know American's are fast paced and we need to calm down a bit, but you shouldn't have to ask three times for a coffee refill.
Also, a Club Sandwich is cheaper via room service than it is via a waiter at the pool (kinda odd). We opted for the breakfast package thinking it would be a Buffett breakfast. It isn't. It is an American Breakfast (Pastry, Eggs and Juice). Not worth the $20 per person per day if you ask me.

5.) Three pools. One next to the construction (banging noises and crane noises the entire day) and not very relaxing. One next to a swim up bar. It was nice. The last is an Adult's Only pool closest to Land's End. All of them are infinity pools and only two have hot tubs.

6.) It is a timeshare property. Upon arrival, we got aggressively hit up to attend a meeting. "Our goal is not to stress you, but impress you" was the cheesy line we were delivered. I understand it is their job to try and sell you, but we declined. Then each morning, we were greeted on our way to the pool with the same "Are you going to be attending the sales presentation today?" line. Again, nothing we didn't expect and is easily overlooked.

7.) We asked for a wake up call and it never came through. No biggie, but annoying.

8.) They have a nice kitchenette. You can buy drinks (beer and water) and keep them cold. They didn't seem to mind the people that brought their own beer to the pool. It will save you a lot of money if you do. The afternoon drink special is Two for One in the pool area. However, buy a six pack for $6-7 bucks at a gas station and skip the $9 Two for One option.

9.) It takes about 10 minutes to walk to the very edge of the marina, and another 10-15 to get to the middle of the marina. Another 10 or so to get to Hard Rock/ Mall area. Not a big deal, we enjoyed the walk, but expect to get hit up with "Wanna go fishing, Whale Watching, Water taxi, City Tours?" question 400 times before you get to the other side. A taxi ride back from the downtown area will cost you $6 bucks.

10.) Beach is good. No vendors hitting you up. It is not swim-able water at all, but we knew that going in.

If you have read this far then my conclusion would be that the location is very private and some could even go so far as to say awesome. The hotel is close to the Marina, Close to downtown shopping, right next to Land's End. I enjoyed my time at the hotel, but would not choose it as my hotel for the next time I return to Cabo.

Room Tip: Don't request Building 6 unless you enjoy construction noise at 8am every morning, and not getti...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Quaid M
mil081, Manager at Grand Solmar Land's End Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2012

Dear Quaid, thank you for sharing your opinion with us as it helps to see the whole thing in an other angle and learn out from it.
We are very sorry to read about the way that our marketing staff made you feel upon your arrival, please be sure that our best intention is that you and your family become owners of one of the most beautiful resorts, in one of the best locations in the world.