“A non-owner's review for first timers.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Club Cascadas de Baja

Club Cascadas de Baja
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Utah
“A non-owner's review for first timers.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

So many of the reviews for Cascadas are from resort owners, most of whom have been visiting for over twenty years. Asking owners if they like Cascadas is like asking someone if they like their home. That is not to say that owner's reviews are irrelevant. It's just that someone who has purchased here, did so for a reason...they liked it. What attributes owners appreciate in the resort, new guests might find less charming. This is why my review is intended the those who are considering staying here for the first time. Let me first say that my family and I have stayed here as guests of an owner several times since 1993. So, I am very familiar with resort, but I am no apologist nor do I have in it any vested interest.

The layout---What makes Cascadas unique might create problems for guests trading into it. The property has a portion toward the beach that consists of The Villas that range in size from those that sleep 4 to some that sleep 10. Many have their own pools and/or Jacuzzis. The hotel portion is toward the back of the property and while decorated similarly to the villas, it offers a completely different experience to say the least. Here lies the problem. I believe it is possible that people trading into the resort think they are getting one of the villas but instead are in a hotel room. My recommendation for booking here is to review a map of the property, decide on a floor plan, and then ask for a guarantee in writing for reservations for specific villa (such as, Perlita 4, Margarita 12, or Perla 2) If that can't be done, you might be saying, on the way to the beach, "Hey, those units are nice. Why didn't we get one of those?"

The villas-- Each are unique and architecturally significant. There are NO TVs or phones in the rooms...on purpose. WIFI is now available in-room. For some visitors, I can see how doors that don't shut well and gaps between the windows could be frustrating. If you are looking for modern styling or state-of-the-art climate control then Cascadas may not be ideal for you. I have heard that all the windows will be replaced over the next few years. Until then, some units may have windows with up to a 2 inch gap between. We have had mosquitos and even one scorpion in our room (ground floor unit near the arroyo) Also, be aware that the resort closes for the last two weeks in September for major maintenance. October, the resort is in the best condition while in late August and early September you may hear construction noise. For instance, the "Shark Pool" was closed for a palapa re-construction during our visit last week. My iPod and headphones were invaluable to block out hammer, saw, drill noises.

Front dest staff--- For whatever reason, I have not yet encountered anyone working reception at any of the Mexican resorts that is super friendly and accommodating. Cascadas is no exception. My perception is that the staff here is very competent but could appear to be mechanical as they have become guardians of the resort's rules and restrictions. I will also propose the possibility that Cabo resorts have little incentive to accommodate guest's upgrade requests and/or compensation for a unsatisfactory stay. Flights have been scheduled, trades have been made....where are you going to go. Do your homework and get everything in writing!!!

The Beach/Palapas--That I am aware, there is no where else in Cabo to be on the property but so close to the beach. I think it was brilliant to allow guest to feel so connected to Playa Medano by building palapas rather than shade umbrellas. There are only so many however, and during high season, the only way to secure one is to show up as early as 6:00am, and wait on the beach for the 'OK' to stake your claim. I personally hate this method, but I have no better solution. Come during September or October and this will not be a problem.

Finally, here are a few aspects of the resort that are arguably better than any other resort in Cabo-- the location, the restaurant on the sand, the landscaping, the tranquil vibe, the buildings size/design/materials Here are a few that fall short-- the workout facility, security (will enforce "no pool toys" policy but will not quiet the noisy late-night partiers), no shuttle into town, villa lighting.

Over the years, I have encountered mostly people who love Cascadas and a few who have hated it. I would describe the resort as the more different than any other in Cabo. I like that! You may not. Hope this info helps you avoid surprises.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
25 Thank demused
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Club Cascadas de Baja, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to review Cascadas for our future guests! We're thankful you visit us frequently and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Truly an ideal holiday spot. The beach at the front of the hotel is gorgeous with plenty of sun lounges and palapas and barman to fetch a refreshing drink. The view of the dragon rocks is stunning. The unique style of the white round buildings with thatched rooves is so romantic.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrea M
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Club Cascadas de Baja, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Many thanks for your review and for staying with us! We look forward to welcoming you back to Club Cascadas very soon.
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Cascadas is my favorite resort ever. It is small in size compared to the giant hotels in Cabo, but large enough to have plenty of features and amenities. There are no tvs in the rooms, and until recently no Wifi in room. I view these as benefits to a vacation, but I know others don't. There's Wifi now, but hopefully no tvs will appear.

The setting is unique, and if you let it it will feel like the best getaway on Earth.

Room Tip: I like to avoid the parking lot side, so hear fewer folks coming and going.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Club Cascadas de Baja, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
We agree - Cascadas is heaven on Earth and we love welcoming you back each time. Thank you so much your glowing review. We will see you soon!
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Upon arrival, the staff were welcoming and very helpful, and many spoke English. The place was kept very clean; the daily maid service was wonderful. I had a problem with the room safe and they sent someone right away to help me with it. The on-site restaurant has good service and good food in generous portions. One evening was a Mexican fiesta night and we had dinner on the beach. At the orientation raffle, my host-owner won the book about the architect of the Club, explaining his creative design of the units. We think they are very special, not the usual hotel feel. The grounds were kept very clean; we saw staff constantly maintaining the place. We enjoyed having made-to-order sushi for lunch in the pool near our unit. After getting our bearings, and noting that distances shown on maps were deceiving, we were able to walk to nearby restaurants and the Paraiso mall. One negative: I had a problem with their ATM machine; it never gave me pesos, just a receipt showing a random balance in my account, which was incorrect. The next day after I used it, an 'out of service' sign was placed on the machine and it was never fixed during our weeks' stay. However, my home bank was able to help me clear this transaction. This was a minor problem. All in all, a great place to vacation!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor of the building which was fine. Some other second floor units have priva...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank millievanillie2013
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Club Cascadas de Baja, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
We're so glad you had a wonderful time at Cascadas! Thank you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Cabo.
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have stayed at Club Cascadas twice, and both times had a wonderful experience. The setting is spectacular, with a view from the beach of the Arco (the Arch). The palapas (thatched umbrellas) are shady, and a good place to watch the beach activities. The pools are great, with a swim-up or walk-up bar, and 2-for-1 drinks. The hotel dwellings are beautiful and unique. Our room was quiet, with a hammock out front. The restaurant food is very good, and you are close to town. Taxis are easy. The staff is wonderful, experienced and friendly.

Room Tip: Try the Perlitas. Good value, and you get a hammock.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate your kind words about our beautiful Cascadas! Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Gurnee, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just got back from spending a week at Club Cascades. This was the second time I have stayed here and it's truly the best place ever! The staff is so friendly and polite from morning till night. The food is excellent and priced so reasonable. I wouldn't consider anywhere else in Cabo. The view is spectacular, the rooms are amazing, clean, comfortable, and inviting.

Room Tip: I likes being on the lower floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Karen B
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Club Cascadas de Baja, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We at Club Cascadas love to hear such good things about our staff and resort! We hope you will travel back to Cabo a third time and stay with us! Thank you for your review.
Bella Vista, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Just got back from Cascadas, loved it. Different from all the cookie cutter condos. Beautiful grounds, great staff, delicious food. Beach access and cabanas great, always could find shade if you wanted. Can't say enough about this place. I want to go back tomorrow. One of the best exchanges I have made, would love to trade my Orlando condo for is place permenantly.

Room Tip: Some villas have private pools.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TradingPlacesTPI, Manager at Club Cascadas de Baja, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
We at Club Cascadas are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We love welcoming exchangers to our resort and hearing their opinions about our beautiful Cascadas. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!