“Crazy (not in a good way) Club Cabo”
Review of Club Cabo Inn

Club Cabo Inn
Ranked #57 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Buhl, Idaho
“Crazy (not in a good way) Club Cabo”
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Baja…It is one of our favorite places. We have been many times. We have come the distance from San Felipe and/or Ensenada to the end of the peninsula and back again camping and/ or RVing along the way. Our experiences have been remarkably positive…until today. We are in Cabo San Lucas. It is the land of big luxury hotels, more traffic than any place in all of Baja and very few RV parks.
We ended up stopping at “Club Cabo”…Out of years of travel our interaction with the owner (Martin Rozendall) of that park produced the most uncomfortable experience of any trip to Baja—and within memory, any trip anywhere.
We arrived at the RV camp without reservations. The owner said that they could house us for one night but expected a large caravan the next day. We told them we were in the area for a wedding, would need the use of our pickup and would prefer to unhook and set up camp only once. With our rig it is a bit of an ordeal. If we couldn’t find a 3 day slot we would indeed stay. He recommended Vagabundos as a possibility. There is very little space in the “Club Cabo” to maneuver any RV, much less a trailer/pickup. With difficultly and snide remarks from the owner regarding driving skills we (and he) backed ours out of the way to the side of their building.
My husband took off on the bicycle trying to locate said camp. During his absence, the owner started asking me for payment and said: “as far as I’m concerned you are checked in”. At which point, I assumed that if we couldn’t find another location he would accept us for the night. He was aware but I reiterated that I was waiting for Patrick to return and attempted to call the other parks on our list. He wasn’t gone more than 15 minutes. The owner then became insistent about payment. We reiterated that we still would like try to find a place we could stay for the entire Cabo visit of 3 days. Could we have a minute to make calls?
At which point, the owner became aggressive and yelled that he wanted us out of his property. Were he a toddler I would have said he threw a tantrum. He had blocked the gate to keep us in and had to un-block it. The entire interaction from arrival to “retreat” was less than 30 minutes. His behavior was so unexpected, physically threatening and intense. As we left my husband told him he was sorry if we had caused him any problem. His response was to tell us he hoped we had a horrible time, misdirected us and yelled that other accommodations were full and much more difficult than his to get into…within ½ hour we found Villa Serena, a much more welcoming place.
Unfortunately, the story does not end there. Three days later Martin showed up at Villa Serena insisting that my husband had threatened his wife. Completely weird and certainly untrue. This guy is a whack job!
Perhaps he has his good days, but as a traveler do you want to gamble that your host is off his meds??? Perhaps he really doesn't understand how absurd and out of the "norm" his behavior is...but regardless it was upsetting. No one should have to deal with that.
Who knows?….but if I had it to do all over again I would have avoided “Club Cabo” like the plague—and would recommend the same to any traveler. It seems to be a place for those who wish to be abused. Before staying there I’d stay at the unattended Vista Bonita (it has water and electricity but no “security”). There is no sense in inviting the negative—and the owner of “Club Cabo”, Mr. Martin Rozendaal—is certainly that.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank mctbird
bajaconsultant, Owner at Club Cabo Inn, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for your post. There are always two sides to every story and indeed this time there certainly is.

When you arrived I was very clear that I only had one night available and I suggested another location to help you . But you decided to stay and keep your rig hooked up together and use your bike to get around I agreed to give you a double spot for the price of one for your trouble of only getting one night stay ..you agreed .

Then you proceeded to try to back up into the agreed space [ double space] ...wow This person cannot back up a trailer at al ... So after repeated tries to back up

, I offered to back-up his rig and get him settled for one night. You were completely exasperated at this point. Not because of my actions but because of your frustration backing up and your vehicle not capable of idling. .although the truck ran/idled badly I was able to back-up his rig in about half a minute

Very large RV's with tow vehicles stay here on a regular basis. The issue was your inability to maneuver your rig in reverse.

Once I had parked your rig I assumed you would come to the office and pay for the one night , you left on your bike to go find other accommodation instead. Club Cabo is not a parking lot where you can leave your vehicle for any amount of time without notice to us, then decide to leave without paying and looking around for other options .Once I had you parked You were checked in for one night that is why I helped park your rig. I am running a business and asking for payment before a client disappears is not an unreasonable request.

You were frustrated because I only had one night available and were struggling with your rig but that is not my issue. I helped you as much as I could ,I even gave you a double space for the price of one ... I did not block the gate ever and I was not hostile or threatening to you. You were verbally offensive to my wife on the phone in advance about placing the most damaging review on the internet as possible per this phone call which was the reason I attended Villa Serena and asked you to leave us alone.

Your personal insults regarding being on/off 'meds' is reflective of your own abusive personality.

You have also omitted numerous other details that would not shed such a negative light on Club Cabo but they would not have helped your cause on this site. not unusual

It is unfortunate that you have had such a poor experience at Club Cabo but you really should consider your frustrated frame of mine at the time. You threatened to post extremely abusive and negative complaints on this site for the sole reason to hurt us . Public/guest posts are a privilege and we take all posts seriously but you are way off base and abusing this forum.

We look forward to welcoming our 2014 guests to our hotel and rv park with large and small RV's, many of whom have returned numerous times, this included a caravan of 18 RV's that arrived the next morning and the reason we could not accommodate you for your three days stay. See attached photos .

If any one would like more information please feel free to contact me.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Leaburg, Oregon
Reviewed November 17, 2013

For years, Martin has advertised this place on the internet as a "bed and breakfast". Yes, there are beds. Yes, there is breakfast. However, you are not supposed to pay EXTRA in order to eat. A "bed and breakfast" is a certain type of accomodation, and if Martin wants to join that group, he needs to (for no charge) provide the meal. Otherwise, quit suckering people in. And watch...he will counter this bad review with a lot of excuses and fingerpointing. Nothing is EVER his fault. It is ALWAYS the horrible guest.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank Susie G
bajaconsultant, Owner at Club Cabo Inn, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Hello everyone Yes I remember this lady Susie that booked a [ very ] reasonable room with us and then wanted a free breakfast ... people book with us all the time and when they do book they know that for the price that they are paying that food is not included and we don't hesitate to tell them that breakfast is not included if the mention b and b anyway we have a disclaimer on all our web sites explaining in perfectly plain English that the cost of the room does not include breakfast ... I think she thought well its worth a try to sucker them into a guild complex ...our average room costs are half the cost of what a b and b costs ...she did finally understand and agree with the management and asked for the breakfast options around the beach front just a few minutes from our place .. thank goodness were so close to the beach and all the restaurants ...
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is the 2nd time I have stayed here, pulled in at Night,knowing where the place was, and it was no big deal for the owner Martin, in fact, We didn't even sign in for 2 days, and stayed this time for 5 days.. We were in our Motor Home, towing a trailer with a quad, and left for 2 nights leaving the trailer and quad knowing it was safe. The pool is clean and a nice size,the beach is close, Martin and Wife are very friendly, the place is safe at night, showers work great, and toilets work good... I mean your in Mexico, what do you want? I'll always stay there when driving to Cabo..

Room Tip: We didn't stay in a room, were in our motor home.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank JONHAGAR
Kodiak Island, Alaska
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Martin and his lovely wife made sure that we were comfortable in our casita by the pool. We had our privacy and knew that our two small dogs were also welcome. Finding clean rooms and grounds plus friendly hosts plus canine friendly can be a challenge when traveling. My husband and I would drop by again when going through Cabo rather than go to one of the fancy hotels because of the personal service and accomadations. The hotel is close to the beach, restaurants and safe for the dogs. Thank you Marvin for the books that you lent to us too! We will be by again to return them. From Brett and Lori Lounsbury from Kodiak, Alaska

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lori M
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our stay at Club Cabo and can't wait to go back.

We stayed in our motorhome for two weeks and really enjoyed the down home, very relaxed atmosphere that the owner/managers, Irene and Martin, provided us.

There were all the amenties we could ask for including a pool, laundry and cleaning services (additional cost but very reaonsable), work out equipment and even our new small friend Brandi (Martin and Irene's little dog) that often came to visit us. Especially my husband when he was cooking!

Another couple from Canada joined us with their 5th wheel and another friend flew down and stayed in one of the suites (clean, well furnished, TV and full kitchen!) for a few days. The whole gang will be back.

We miss the sun and fantastic hospitality!

If you want to avoid huge resorts, stay in a good location with fun people, a Mexican feel and all the ameneties you need at a reasonable price this is a great place to stay.

We will post photos soon.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband, our chihuahua & I have been RV'ing in Baja for 2 months & have camped on beaches & RV parks all the way down from California. RV parks in Cabo are expensive & none are close to the beach/downtown area. Martin & Irene's park is clean & safe, completely walled & gated at night, quiet, pet friendly, GREAT wifi, nice HOT shower with good water pressure, clean pool, lots of trees & birds & we ride our bikes about 1 mile to the beach/downtown area (yes, it is a dusty, dirt road, but that shouldn't be a surprise in Mexico!) Martin & Irene are very hospitable & accommodating hosts. We have totally enjoyed our stay here & will definitely come again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Cindy H
Bishop, California
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've just returned from my third stay there and I would recommend it if you're looking for simple, safe, dog friendly, and a great location yet muy tranquilo. I've stayed elsewhere, and looked around a bit, and this is the place fof me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo