“Great Hotel but bad surroundings...”

Bahia Hotel & Beach House
Ranked #23 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Guadalajara, Mexico
“Great Hotel but bad surroundings...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2006

I went last week to Cabo San Lucas for 3 nights and a friend of mine recommended me this hotel. I have to say that is a nice place, clean, small, silent around the pool area. However, everything outside the hotel is horrible. Beware!!! All the pictures of this hotel that you will see in magazines or whatever are FAKE or too Old! Now the hotel does not have a nice view at all. The main road is dusty, you have to walk a dusty and ugly block to reach the Medano beach. The worst thing of all is that you pay 20 dollars more for a room with a view to the beach and the only thing that you can see is a building in construction that blocks fatally that view... So dont go for this. In the future, this hotel must reduce their fees dramatically or nobody will arrive... In the morning, all the workers noise wake you up early. Beds are beautifully hard, well, I love hard beds. Small kitchen, freezer and all that you need for cooking is provided, that is a nice point. The pool, clean and nice, the pool service, the Best: The big guy Omar (from Tlaxcala, Mexico, piscis by zodiac sign) is the best of the best. His attention, his patience, everything makes you feel at home. This hotel must take care of this guy because it would not be rare that a big hotel takes him away with a better job offer. Congratulations to Omar, and also, he knows his popularity, many people that read this reviews tell him about. By the way, an extra TV at the pool would be good idea... The restaurant is good enough, but my best recommendation is go outside the hotel and walk around the block to find the little seafood restaurant, owned by the blond lady and their crew... Try the almejas, the campechana and a cold beer... Pure paradise... Don't miss it! please! The Medano beach is a nice place to stay, but try to get away from the boats areas (too much smell to gasoline and engine roars), try to go to the right side of the beach, much more quiet. My opinion is that this is a nice place to stay only for one or two nights if you plan to know some Cabo San Lucas places. If you plan to go to San Jose del Cabo or La Paz, to know more beaches and fishing activities, try to move to closer hotels of your aactivities. Finally, before I arrived to the hotel, I read some reviews saying that the staff of this hotel stole some money or personal items from the rooms, so I just carried my personal back pack everywhere, and no problems!! Just in case. Regards. Off.

• Stayed May 2006
17 Thank MrCure

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Vancouver WA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2006

Recently returned from a week in Cabo. Stayed at the Bahia Condos and I will never stay there again. I was looking for an inexpensive place to stay and this location seemed perfect. Omar the pool bartender was really wonderful and had GREAT customer service. The Management however will do anything to get more money out of you. I was charged $45.00 USD for 2 cheap towels and 1 bed sheet that got stained from our henna tatoos. I was more than willing to pay for the stained items but felt $45.00 was a little steep for the poor quality of the items. The management would not work with me at all and even had the nerve to tell me there is a sign in the room that states if you stain the linen you have to pay. No such sign existed! Anyway I have since found out this kind of thing happens all the time there so bottom line DON'T EVER STAY AT BAHIA CONDOS. Too bad Omar doesn't work elsewhere because he is really great!!!

10 Thank Sammyfan
, manager at Bahia Hotel & Beach House, responded to this review, May 7, 2006
We are glad to hear guests enjoy Omar’s service at our pool bar. In response to the comment about the linens, there are signs on the back of the door in both English and Spanish regarding lost or stained towels. It states “There will be a $20.00 USD charge for lost or towels returned damaged or stained.” Guests admitted to damaging the linens, therefore this policy was enforced. We have made efforts to inform guests of problems we have seen arise, to better prevent them from happening in the future. Guests are responsible for damages.
Discreetpunk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2006

I walked into this hotel with no reservation. The staff let me preview the rooms before committing so I made sure I had reasonable water pressure and a good view of the pool. For $125 a night I had a room with a full kitchen, which I never used, and a TV with no working remote control. They said that they ran out of remotes for the model TV I had. I never figured out how to open the fridge but never needed it. If you want a hotel close to town and even closer to the beach this is the one! I stayed three nights and loved it. I didn't opt for the side of the hotel with a view of the ocean because the construction across the street severly limits the view. I slept great at this hotel. I never ate at the hotel because the beach restaraunts a short walk away are terriffic. I walked the dirt roads, by myself, late at night to return from the clubs in the city and never had a single problem. The concierge will try to get you to sign up for time share presentations but that happens everywhere I have stayed. The views aren't pretty but the location is Great!

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank Discreetpunk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2006

In short, this hotel was the worst I have ever stayed at in my 20 years. The bed was as hard as the floor, so I instead slept on the couch which was way more comfortable. The showers had no shower heads, usually no hot water, and all faucets had no water pressure. I ordered room service once and it took them two hours and three phone calls to deliver my food, which was seran wrapped, as if they had just reheated it. One day I went to the front desk to ask for a pool towel and they had none available. The woman at the front desk said she would bring one out to me at the pool when some came available. After being at the pool for three hours, I went to the front desk again, asked the same woman for a towel and she handed one to me. Finally, when we checked out there was no bellman sent up to our room to grab our bags and the shuttle we had arranged 48 hours in advance was 20 minutes late. Save your money and stay somewhere where they understand the idea of service.

• Stayed March 2006