“Ruined my Trip :(”

Bahia Hotel & Beach House
Ranked #26 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I wish that my review was a favourable one but based on one unfortunate incident, I was incredibly disappointed with this hotel. I arrived very late on February 9th and was greeted by friendly front desk staff. I wish I recalled his name. For the following few days, again I found everyone to be incredibly professional and even fun. My room was clean, faced the pool and I was always able to find a space to suntan by the pool, or since it was fairly chilly, meet friendly people in the hot tub!

After a great Valentine’s day/night spent with my boyfriend who lives in Mexico, we headed back to the hotel for a nightcap at the bar. When we decided to leave and head back to my room, we were chased by a front desk staff member named Daniel. He spoke only in Spanish which although I too speak some Spanish, this was clearly directed toward my Mexican boyfriend. Daniel was rude and asking him for my room number, telling my bf that there was going to be an extra charge in a very accusatory tone. I did not totally understand what was going on and wanted to walk away. My bf told him my room number then explained to me what was going on. After trying to calm down, as this issue for me wasn’t related to the supposed extra $20/night charge which if it was the case, would not have been a problem. However, it was the fact that Daniel chose to address my boyfriend in a very accusatory way and made me feel very cheap, and I don’t mean in the monetary sense. This essentially ruined my night and made me very sad. I proceeded to go back down to the lobby and speak with Daniel. Of course I was angry but I tried to keep myself calm initially until he greeted me with such attitude and entitlement that honestly made me question how he could even be employed by this hotel. He even had the audacity to tell me I was being rude to him at the initial confrontation when he hadn’t even been addressing me! It was very disappointing.

I proceeded to write the hotel an email that night requesting the owner get back to me. Instead later the following evening another staff member told me the reason for Daniel speaking with us was out of concern for my own safety. While I’d like to believe this is the case, my bf had been staying with me since Feb 10th, by the pool, in the hot tub, etc. We had been visible in a very small hotel where people remember your name let alone your face. Neither of us were intoxicated or exhibiting any type of behaviour that warranted Daniel’s aggression.

It’s sad to say that based on this incident and the fact that I was then charged twice for the “extra person” on Valentine’s day, I will never return to the Bahia nor would I ever recommend it to anyone. I would have if it were not for Daniel.

Room Tip: Request a view of the pool and don't waste your money on the upgraded rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Jen W
lvosburgh, Owner at Bahia Hotel & Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for your review. I remember meeting you and your boyfriend at the pool. I am sorry for the misunderstanding but we to protect the guests and Daniel was not aware that the local gentleman was your boyfriend and staying at the hotel. This does not excuse his demeanor and lack of respect toward you or anyone.
I am happy that other than this incident you have written such a nice review.
Thank you and I hope you give us another chance.

There are newer reviews for Bahia Hotel & Beach House

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Spent over a week here this past new years and have nothing but great things to say. The lobby bar is the best bar in Cabo; relaxing, chic, great food, and the cabo calientas...cant say enough!!! The team has a done an amazing job rebuilding this property and we will be coming back for years to come. Thank u to everyone at the Bahia who made this trip so special and memorable!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
lvosburgh, Owner at Bahia Hotel & Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for the review. I assume you we're reflecting back to your time is sunny CABO with all that snow in New York. The bar has continued to be active with locals and hotel guests from the Bahia and surrounding properties.
Our goal is to offer personalized service at a fair price in both the hotel and bar Esquina. So. far that seems to be a winning formula and we strive everyday to keep it that way.
I hope you don't wait until next x mas to visit us again !!
Thanks again for taking the time to write such a great review.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Bahia was in the perfect location, one block to the beach and a 5 minute walk to the Marina. Sara the concierge was incredibly helpful in suggesting places to go and with our car rental! The only complaint I have is that we did not have any furniture on our balcony and even though we asked twice to get some, we never did receive any. However, we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

1  Thank walkat97
Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Bahia was perfect for us to walk to we wanted to go, beach, town, marina. The room was adequate, quiet and clean. The staff was helpful and when we emailed a question they were quick to respond. We were in Cabo for just a couple nights and had a late flight out. We were able to have late check out for a bit extra $. We would stay again.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Excellent location. Stayed in a non-renovated room which was cute none-the-less, very 70's looking. One complaint was the hard bed! 0ne other complaint was the fluctuating temperature in the shower, cold one minute and scalding the next. The restaurant in the lobby is one of the best in Cabo. Had a late night dinner there one night and breakfast a couple of times as well as appetizers before going out bar hopping. Tuna tartar, oysters,mushroom pizza (Italian style not American) were all fantastic! Just a short walk to Medano beach and its famous bars. Definitely worth an afternoon, just to watch the shows of the crazies at the bars!
Also very easy to get a water taxi from here to the marina. Would definitely return to this hotel, but would ask for a renovated room as hopefully the beds are more comfortable.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

The Bahia's restaurant/bar was awesome. Food and service was great. I believe that some of the rooms have been remodeled and not all the rooms have been remodeled yet. The lobby/restaurant is beautiful. Here would be my major gripe..in our room the bathroom door is made out of some type of bamboo that is attached to each other. So when you are in the sink area or even in the bedroom area you can hear everything in the bathroom and can see the person on the toilet. It was a little uncomfortable....

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
lvosburgh, Owner at Bahia Hotel & Beach House, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for your review. We are in the process of changing those door in the classic room.
Happy you enjoyed your vacation and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

The Bahia is a small hotel in a great location in Cabo. It is close to the beach and marina.
What made this a great stay for us was the excellent service that we received. The staff was simply outstanding!!
The hotel's food is also excellent and deserves your attention.
The pool is not large but it is private and never completely crowded.
Sarah the concierge was excellent and helped us with our tours in and around Cabo.
The only minor problem was with external noises from traffic and other outside vendors.

Room Tip: The room and bed were fine, but outside noises did disturb our sleep.
1  Thank KaibabCarmel_Indiana