“Greedy Dive Shop Operator”
Review of Amigos del Mar

Amigos del Mar
More attraction details
Owner description: Amigos Del Mar is one of the leading SCUBA diving operators in Cabo San Lucas, Mexio - many say the leading SCUBA diving operator - and has been for the last 30+ years. This is due to our outstanding safety record, our service levels, our location and our resort partners. We have pioneered many of the legendary dive sites in the Sea of Cortes and, in fact, Amigos Del Mar pioneered recreational diving in Cabo San Lucas back in the 1970's.
new orleans
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Greedy Dive Shop Operator”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I dove with Kevin in 2008. Came back to dive with him again in 2012. He remembered me immediately. After the recognition all formalities were off. He only wanted to sell me expensive trips. Would not find a way to accommodate an afternoon tank for shore diving at Santa Maria beach. I went next door to Manta which also had a tank shortage but did accommodate an afternoon tank....once the am dives were completed. They got my $10 tank rental and some boat dives too. Go right next door, in the same building to Manta for service that suits you not the dive operator!

4 Thank sunraygrill

saskatoon
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Amigos and Solmar V make a Great Scuba Diving Combination”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My wife and I came to Cabo to do some local diving prior to taking a live aboard dive adventure to the Revillagigedos Islands. We did six dives with Amigos and have only good things to say about their operation. The highlights were swimming with the sea lions at Lands End and.a day trip to Cabo Pulmo where we swam with huge schools of large Trevally and Grouper. The fish were so numerous at Pulmo that we had to brush aside the closer ones to get a good look at several rare golden leopard Groupers.

During our stay in Cabo we stayed at the Wyndham (formerly the Tesorro). This hotel is located at the Marina, a short walk from both the Amigos dive shop and the pier where the Solmar V is berthed. Included in the price were excellent buffet breakfasts and $50 for each each of us to spend in their restaurant and bar.

Following our dives with Amigos we boarded the luxury live aboard known as the Solmar V (check out their website) and headed out into the Pacific to the Revillagigedos. Joining us were twenty other divers from around the world. Over a six day period we dove at San Benedicto. Roca Partida and Socorro islands. We saw seven species of sharks including several enormous whale sharks, numerous giant pacific mantas, dolphins, false killer whales, huge tuna.as well as an incredible variety of other species of fish. This was an experience of a lifetime for us, not only due to the incredible sea life but also thanks to the wonderful crew of the Solmar V who took care to make sure everything (especially the food) was well taken care of. Special thanks to Claudio, our patient dive master, Danny the whale shark resuer and Ricardo the jokester!

We rented BC's, regulators and 5 mm wet suits from Amigos for both our local diving and the Solmar V trip. The equipment performed flawlessly. The water temperature was 26 to 28 Celsius on every dive so we probably could have done with thinner wet suits.

Both my wife and I experienced a couple of days of sea sickness. It was our own fault. We should have made sure we stayed on our sea sickness medicine the whole trip. Duh!!!

If you want to swim with the big fish, make sure you take a trip to Cabo and the Revillagigedo islands.
.. .

Visited November 2012
2 Thank CostaWatcher
Chico, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cruise Ship excursion”
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I came into Cabo on a cruise ship and had booked the scuba trip before I left the states. The boat was made up of two different groups, experienced and new divers. Dived at Pelican Rock and out at the point and with the sea lions. Great schools of fish and good visibility. Guides were great and got some great photos.
Thanks.

1 Thank Errin N
phila
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“manager runs fishy business -lacks business and ethics smarts”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

The boat crew and the fish seen on our trip were great, but the manager/money guy is running a fishy business.
Pricing practices in question include:
-quoting prices, then changing them after the trip
-applying unmentioned surcharges to invoices not presented until after the trip
-not disclosing hefty surcharges for credit payments -- when it could be anticipated that many people going out on a boat would not be carrying oodles of cash on them
-consistently, 'mistakenly' adding things up wrong in his favor and then waiting to see if he is caught; when he is he simply says to the effect "Oh, accounting is not my strong suit."
We liked the crew and dive master very much, but would not use this company again because of the business practices, and I understand our resort management is also reconsidering associating with this operator.

2 Thank sailsail
Newcastle, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Wonderful people”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I just completed a few days diving with Amigo Del Mar dive shop in Cabo.

What wonderful staff. I was looked after by Lorena and Lisa, two very experienced instructors. It is great to be guided by such cheerful professionals.

Lorena found me an enormous school of Mobulas. Impossible o even estimate how many, just stretched as far as I could see. A highlight of my trip.

When Lisa found out my interest in becoming a Divemaster she tailored my experience to include a lot of skills and information to introduce me to what is in store. She is so funny and jokes with the boat staff non stop. We did some amazing dives and I especially enjoyed the baitfish tornados that enveloped us.

The boat and shop staff were great. Professional, helpful and very friendly.

Overall I true highlight of an amazing trip.

I will be back to dive with these folks in the New Year.

2 Thank Kordie