We booked this hotel/inn after reading several TripAdvisor reviews. We stayed here for a total of 9 nights (<< although, we were in Cabo for 10. They didn't have our last night open.)
OVERALL: We loved it. Immediately upon entrance, we were greeted with a hug by the famous (manager/owner) Eric I kept reading about. He gave us some fruit smoothies and showed us our room. We stayed in the Bungalow suite, which I highly recommend. Apparently, we forgot to mention our toddler because they typically don't give the second floor (w/ stairs) to young kids but we were totally fine with it since our son is a stair master. Unlike the bottom floor bungalow suite, which is enclosed (aside from the patio area) our hangout area with hammock was outside and the two bedrooms were on the inside. The only downside about this was the mosquitos at night, however, Eric gave our family his kid's mosquito repellent for our entire stay which I thought was extremely generous. (SIDENOTE: No matter where you stay in Cabo, bring mosquito repellent.)
SUITE/ ROOM: The bed was very comfy, especially since I read a lot of reviews that said their hotel beds were hard and lumpy. There is some dogs barking from surrounding neighborhoods so I recommend bringing a noisemaker or download a sleep app. The whole suite had it's own character and lots of local Mexican flavor. Ceramic bowls, handmade soaps and lots of beautiful tile was to be found in our suite. The hotel pool is kept extremely warm, which was perfect for night swimming. Eric has a huge collection of movies you can borrow to watch in your hotel room (no cable tv) and he will even pop you some popcorn. If you need a taxi or delivery/takeout, he will also call it in for you. The hotel cleaning staff always did a great job of cleaning our room (be warned, other hotels have reports of items being stolen but we never worried about that here!) It is common courtesy to tip your cleaners no matter where you stay in Cabo but we had no problem doing so because our room was always spotless. Also, the wi-fi was spotty at first but after a day we finally connected.
LOCATION: There is a gas station just a block away from the hotel if you need anything at all. The walk from the hotel to the downtown area is about 10 minutes and there are two routes you can take. One is up/down a hill which can get tiring but we got used to it immediately. The other route appears to be in a sketchier area but after we walked it a few times we realized there was really nothing sketchy about it at all...just some narrow roads and sidewalks that literally disappear.
FAMILIES WITH KIDS: We have a two year old and he did wonderful here. Everything is concrete, brick or stone so they do have to be careful when running around but as I mentioned, just be sure to request a lower level floor for the little ones.
THIS HOTEL IS FOR YOU IF:
- you want a cozy, home-like atmosphere
-you want to see some local-life outside of the tourist area
-you want delicious breakfasts made for you every morning
-you want to break away from the typical tourist experience
-you want great service and want to be taken care of.
-you don't mind walking a bit to the downtown area (this may be an issue for handi-capped or elderly unless you take a taxi every single time.)
Let me just add that at our last night, we stayed at an all inclusive resort because as I mentioned, the Bungalows didn't have any availability for us (which we knew beforehand.) The staff at the other hotel was not friendly at all, the food was ok, the pool was cold and we were just regular Joe's. At the Bungalows, you are treated like family and if I'm ever in Cabo again, I will be sure to stay there again.
Ok, one more thing...my husband bought a fishing pole and needed a case for it. We asked eric if he could direct us to the nearest store with PVC pipe. The next day, he brought my husband a pvc pipe case he made himself and gave it to us as a gift. If this doesn't show you the generous hospitality, then I don't know what does!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cozy bungalow retreat tucked 3 blocks to downtown Cabo San Lucas, where you immediately come upon restaurants, open-air markets, and Cabo nightlife. Sixteen suites and 2-bedroom bungalows are nestled amid towering palms and tropical gardens, and surround a heated swimming pool. Full breakfast is included, and served fountainside in a peaceful, brick-paved breakfast nook. Enjoy the rustic charm of old Mexico, with thatched-roofs & relaxing hammocks, all complimented with modern amenities including TV/DVD, A/C, and free Wi-Fi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and HRS so you can book your The Bungalows Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Bungalows Hotel Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos