“Fabulous Facility, Marvelous Staff”

Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar
Ranked #12 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Northern California
“Fabulous Facility, Marvelous Staff”
Reviewed April 9, 2010

My wife and I with our two teenagers, 15 and 16, just spent 4 wonderful days at the Sirena Del Mar. We could not make up our minds for a vacation this year and had to scramble at the last moment to set up a few days in Mexico. I have been coming to Cabo for many years now (love to fish) and have stayed in many different places from cheap to Las Ventanas and was looking for a new experience. We could not have been any happier with our choice of Sirena Del Mar! The facilities are brand new and very beautiful. We had a wonderful ocean view, lots of room, great beds, full kitchen with microwave, ice maker, blender, etc. The staff are wonderful, very friendly and helpful. Manny, the activities director, was great with the kids playing ping-pong, etc. available with ideas and activities but never underfoot. The restaurant and bars were terrrific with great 2 for 1 Happy Hour drinks and great guacamole and chips! We had lunch but not dinner, does close early at 5PM but we wanted to go to town to explore and have supper anyway. I would recommend a car as helpful to get groceries, go to town and we did have one nice day of fishing out of San Jose . Not really a negative but the rooms are more like an apartment, ie. you take care of it, no daily maid service,etc. but you can always get fresh towels,etc. from the desk and you can have a full "deep cleaning" of your place anyday you want but there is a charge for it (though one day we had a cleaning we had not asked for and there was no charge) Overall I would highly recommend this place for great value, beautiful facilities and marvelous staff!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Pargo1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed April 5, 2010

Everything that reviewers have said about Sirena del Mar is absolutely true! I have to admit, I really wanted to love this hotel because of the reviews, and it exceeded my expectations. We were looking for quiet, elegant, a great view, amenities and time to hang out as a family. We got all of that and more! The rooms are gorgeous. I recommend, like another reviewer, checking to see if you can upgrade to the larger room once you arrive (or just do it when you plan your trip). The smaller room is nice, but the pull-out sofa sat right under the window of the hallway side - not great for our young kids being so close to the door. We upgraded for $37 to the larger room and it was perfect for us. A separate master suite area, and a nice living area, with the kitchen being in the front of the room. So, that was a great deal and our view was spectacular - even from the first floor. The only thing I would say is try to get an upper level room - while I couldn't hear voices or tvs from upstairs, I was aware of the footsteps, fyi. I'm probably a little pickier than most when it comes to noise, but my husband noticed it as well. However, the clientele at the resort is not the crazy, up all night, drinking crowd (not when we were there anyway), so it was still peaceful. But, if you know you want the larger room (the smaller room was on the 3rd floor, which is the top), then I say reserve that so you have a chance to be up higher. Loved the balcony, the hammock (also a part of the bigger rooms only), loved the kitchen. I brought some groceries from the US (my son has peanut allergies, so I brought things I knew he could eat) and that was great. Popcorn to watch movies with, mac n' cheese late at night, etc. I would also really recommend renting a car. The restaurant does close at 5 pm, so no room service late at night. With the car, we were free to go wherever and whenever, it was great. Yes, we hit the Wal-mart and stocked up on water, snacks, ice cream, etc. It was very convenient. Parking around Cabo and San Jose del Cabo (beautiful town - we enjoyed it much more than Cabo) was no big deal and the resort has a deal with National rent a car for a pretty good price. Also, definitely do the airport transportation through the hotel! Contact Welk Resorts, and set it up. I called the resort and they put me in touch with Jessica at Welk and she did everything for us - pick up from the airport and drop off. Adults were $18 each way, my 7 year old was $12 (I think) and my 3 year old was free. Give her 3 days notice and she'll set up the whole thing for you, charge your credit card and you are done. Both pick-ups were easy, on time and it was very convenient.

The pools were great and relaxing - no fighting for lounge chairs - they're everywhere! The hot tub was great, the fire pit beautiful to relax to at the end of the night, and there is a fun game room (behind the owner's lounge) where you can play Wii (ask Manny if you can check out the games and controllers), pool, fooze ball and air hockey.

The private beach is also awesome. Sure, the water was chilly, but there is no one bothering you to buy stuff, there are shells everywhere and it's peaceful. That was a lot of fun for my kids and we really enjoyed that about this resort. It's just a short walk from the hotel and then down the spiral staircase.

The food was very good. My husband loved the enchiladas, my kids loved the pancakes and the guac is delicious.

The biggest and best thing to me about this resort is the staff. It is so small, that you see the same folks over and over. And, believe me, they are all the nicest people you could meet. Everyone was fantastic and aimed to please and help in any way. From checking in with Edgar (and checking out), Ramiro & Jesus at the restaurant, Manny for activities, Ceasar getting our car for us, everyone was just wonderful. I feel bad that I'm leaving people out because I can't remember their names! The whole staff really makes this resort. They really do want to make your stay special.

In short, if you're looking to be away from all the craziness of Cabo and be at a small, intimate resort, this is the place. As a family, it worked for us because we rented a car and knew going in that it was very quiet after 5 pm. We loved it and I hope the resort thrives!

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank rkcue
minnesota
Reviewed April 5, 2010

We just got home from Sirena Del Mar and we could not be happier. The resort is beautiful and the staff are some of the best.
The rooms all have a deck and face the ocean. The resort sits up high so you can see the ships and boats float by. We saw a few whales from our deck. You can sit at one area of the pool and watch the sun come up and another area and watch the beautiful sunsets.
The only drawback is the restaurant closes at 5 p.m.
We will definately go back.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Reviewed April 1, 2010

The resort hasbeen open for a short time and while here are a few growing pains the staff, especially Edgar the manager, go out of their way to make fr a very pleasent stay. This was our first trip to Cabo and there is a need for a shuttle or a rental car. It is about 1/2 mile walk for a bus but it is manageable. The resort is a little far from Cabo so the Night life does not affect the peace and quiet at the resort. The view from all rooms is stunning with whales visable from the balconies. The rooms are very nicely done with plenty of space. We stayed in a large one bedroom with a jacuzzi tub and a full kitchen. We will be back.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed March 29, 2010

The best word to describe our week at Sirena Del Mar is WOW! We were fortunate enough to leave the cold of the east coast and spend a fabulous week in Cabo at this wonderful resort the first week of February. From the moment we arrived till the day we left we felt we were amongst family. The service was outstanding. Our large1 bedroom suite was gorgeous and the view from the resort as well as our room was spectacular. This was our first trip to Cabo and we rented a car. The resort’s location gave us easy access to both Cabo San Lucas as well as Cabo San Jose which I highly recommend visiting. What really makes the resort special is the staff. Edgar, Adan, Cesar, Manny and the rest of the staff were all superb. Special thanks to the resort’s general manager Alejandro who took very good care of us during our stay as well as arranging a private sunset dinner cliff side prepared by Javier on our last night there. We can not wait to go back!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OBDOCMD
Wisconsin
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We stayed at Sirena Del Mar resort for a week and enjoyed every minute of our vacation. Our view was overlooking the Sea of Cortez, whales throughout the day and could also see the Arc.. The facility was very clean, beautiful atmosphere and the staff Carlos, Jesus, Romiro, Manny, Claudia and Cesar worked hard to make our stay enjoyable. They have daily activities for everyone. This is definitely a resort we will go back to and highly recommend it.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Litchfield, IL
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Sirena Del Mar is, first and foremost, a gorgeous site for a beach resort. Built on cliffs overlooking the Sea of Cortez, the rooms all have panoramic views of the ocean, the rock formations at the tip of the Baja (el arco), and breaching and spouting whales (in season). The pools and decks are well designed and convenient to the rooms and to the other ameneties. Our room was a little small for my wife, teenage daughter and me and amounted to little more than a studio unit (It was the lockout portion of a 2 BR condo unit.), but it was well constructed, furnished and decorated, so enjoyable even if a tad small.

The staff was very friendly and eager to please. Manny the activities director was especially helpful and enthusiastic in his work. The waiters and cleaning staff were smiling and willing to please. Cesar took good care of us and made us feel at home.

The first time I went to Mexico I was a little unsettled and uneasy about vacationing outside the U.S. Each time we have returned (now 4 times in all) the comfort level increased. Sirena Del Mar and the staff there made us feel comfortable and entirely at ease. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. If there was any negative aspect to the resort, it would only be that the restaurant did not serve evening meals. However, I'm certain that as the resort matures (It only opened in December, 2009.) the food services will expand to accomodate what I believe will be larger and larger numbers of very satisfied guests.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family