“Nice overall ”

Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar
Ranked #14 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. Beautiful rooms on quiet property. Well appointed. Only one restaurant which is quite expensive and kinda disorganized. Food is good though. Good for a quiet trip. Beach area is gorgeous. Francisco at bell desk is great!

Stayed: January 2014

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I think we picked a winner for our first visit to Mexico. I found this resort here on tripadvisor, like you have just now. I did lots of research. Then we booked by email and phone with Jennifer in the reservations office in California, and she did a great job with reserving our rooms and answering all our questions, too.

Now we're back home. My summary: We loved it. I would describe this resort as "low key", friendly and gorgeous. We are a family of five, so we stayed in two connecting suites, with two baths, one small kitchen, two bedrooms - one big with a large tub, two showers, a dining room with a another fully equipped kitchen, two living rooms with sofa beds, and - my favorite - porches overlooking the pools and ocean, with hammocks and views to the famous arch and the noise of waves to fall asleep to.

What more did we need? We found everything clean and rose petals placed in many spots including on too of the toilet paper rolls. No bugs. No one sick from the water or food, either. We skipped the timeshare presentation, not surprising given we knew we would be at a resort that features timeshares- partly to maximize our limited vacation time and because we live too far away for regular visits, too.

I thought this place was gorgeous. It is isolated, off the main road down a dirt road with little in walking distance. It's located in a neighborhood of beautiful oceanfront homes. We went into Cabo San Lucas for Walmart and two dinners. You need a car or, better, a taxi. So if you want to walk home late at night from one of the many bars you should stay closer to town.

There is construction of a new building going on now, and we heard it. I think they may have turned up the pool side music a bit to block it.

There may be fancier or more exclusive places to stay in Cabo. I can't imagine one in a prettier place. This was my pick for us.

This place is great for a family, has a good outdoor restaurant - late December weather was ideal for that. The special New Years dinner was delicious, and all if us agreed - a rare occurrence. At the pool the next day the mixology class? Or Party ? in the pool at the bar with Manny and Hugo was great fun. So were the margueritas! We had fun at the weekly Friday fiesta, with a buffet many types of mexican food and desserts and a great group of dancers. The family enjoyed the water aerobics too. The infinity pools are beautiful, too.

So now I'm hoping to back or visit one of the welk resorts in the US. Thanks for a great stay. Also gracias to Angel, Francisco, Mario, Manny, Alex, Fabian, Alexandro, Barb, Gina and you ? among many others whose names I've forgotten on the staff for sharing their world by the sea in Mexico with us.

Room Tip: You may be happiest if you ask to be away from the construction area - for now. All rooms - for now...
1  Thank careerguyn
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed at Welk last February 2013 and had such a great time we decided to come back for two weeks over the New Year holiday. The staff go out of their way to make it a pleasant and comfortable stay. Most remembered our names and unit number! We had an amazing New Year's Eve dinner at the resort. The food was amazing and the price was very reasonable especially considering what places were charging in town. The Mexican fiesta and $2.00 tacos at the pool are also very good. My suggestion is to go to Walmart to stock up on supplies. It is a $10.00 cab ride both ways. Don't have the cab driver wait - just get a new taxi outside of the door. There is also a lovely market up the hill and across the street. They have a nice selection of fresh and organic products. Gina at the concierge desk is great and very helpful. We had her assist us with arranging several excursions. I continue to be amazed at all of the whales you can see from the resort and

Room Tip: Units closer to the beach are quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Stephani B
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed here just before Christmas and we had the best time! This was our first trip to Cabo and we were so happy to be able to stay at this beautiful resort. While we enjoyed our trips to downtown for the "party" environment, it was also great to relax at the resort which feels secluded and private in the best way possible. The views were breathtaking! Loved the hammock on our balcony!
The staff was absolutely first class! Every person we encountered was kind, knowledgeable, and so very helpful! We definitely feel like we made some great amigos during our week there, so much so that we can't wait to go back!
As far as the dining options, yes they were a bit limited but we immensely enjoyed all that we tried! I was addicted to the Chilaquiles for breakfast (best in Mexico!!). The Fiesta Friday evening was delicious and the entertainment was great!
While we were there the WiFi was a bit overused (depending on the time of day it was a little slow), but you could see the crew working on bringing their new WiFi to the resort! Being truly on vacation this wasn't an issue for us, it was nice to be a little less connected!
We would definitely recommend this resort for young couples who like to relax and get away from it all.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rebekah C
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Our room 1402A had a very nice view of the arch as the resort is perched on a cliff. It also is connected to a private beach. The construction was right behind our building but we did not find it an issue. We arrived at 100 and check in was not until 400. Efforts were not made to get us in to our room early and room was not even ready until 410. With checkout at 1000am that leaves a large window which I guess they need because if you actually want your room cleaned and fresh linens they charge you $24 per effort. I assume that nobody pays this and their rooms are filthy by the time they leave. Overall the room is very nice with a beautiful view, but the shower was covered in black mold which is of coarse bound to happen when the rooms are not being cleaned. The plumbing is poor so your shower will also turn into a bath tub adding to the grim in the shower.
Upon check-in you are ushered over to a lady that appears nice but tries to get you to attend a time share presentation, if you have been to anywhere in Mexico you know to opt out. $150 credit towards overpriced amenities is hardly worth wasting your morning.
The staff is for the most part friendly and getting into town via taxi is fast and easy. We also rented a car but I don't recommend driving in Cabo at night.
Pool area is nice despite having unheated pools, drink service is poor. You can sit for an hour before anyone asks you for anything. Then get a 10 dollar mixed drink that tastes as if it was from a 3 star all-inclusive resort.
Restaurant had very good ceviche for lunch, breakfast was overpriced and average. About $50 for a couple after coffee and bottled water for french toast and a burrito.
Overall we had a good time but I would save my money and go to Capella Pedregal which is absolutely beautiful if I were to go back to Cabo.

4  Thank RussU2525
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I together with our 5 month old baby recently stayed at this Welk resort (our first family vacation). The staff were great, the views were amazing and we really enjoyed the laid back feel of the place. It was a perfect fit for us with the baby since it is not a party resort. As first time parents we really appreciated the in-suite laundry. Restaurant: was good but not great. Beach: had great snorkelling. My husband was out there everyday. Time-share presentation: this was a first for us so we have no other ones to compare it to but it was a soft sell and not as bad as we expected. Admittedly we just wanted to see what one was like and wanted the $150. It was long and they ask you lots of personal questions which can get a bit awkward. They were annoyed but not rude when we didn't buy. Spa services: we used the $150 from the time share on a massage for my husband and a pedicure for myself. Although there is no spa building the service was amazing. Yara was the lady who attended us and she was amazing. Great pedi and my husband does a lot of sports and gets massages often and he said this it was one of the best massages he had ever gotten. Construction: we were in building B (the newer one) and we did not hear any construction from our room. Actually our room was very quiet which was great for the baby. Location: we taxied at first but then took the bus. The walk to the bus stop is not bad, even with the baby.

2  Thank RobinandCynthia
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Came to the resort for a short get away. Arrived with no luggage and the front desk went out of their way to call the airlines and help me to received my luggage. Unfortunately I had my own clothes 2 out of the 5 days. The front desk was such a big help calling them for me and speaking in Spanish to the airport. Walmart wasnt far away and we picked up a few things and also some food for the room. Rooms are small but efficient. The kitchen was nice and bathroom pleasant. I would say that the very small living room with the couch needs to be readdressed. They are building a new section and if you slept in there you would hear the noise. Over all the condos are good. Pool and views are great and the swim up bar is fun. They have a great beach, a little short hike down and there are no vendors. The staff was extremely pleasant, friendly, learned your name and fun. I thought it was great that they asked you to sign out when you went to town and check in when you returned. Taxi is about 15 dollars going to town one way so that does add up. They go out of their way to have one promptly when needed. Over all I really enjoyed the resort, met some great people. It's small so you enjoy the people who are there. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends