“Amazing Property, Great Service, Average Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar

Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar
Ranked #11 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Murrieta, California
“Amazing Property, Great Service, Average Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I own a timeshare in Cabo and usually go there, but this time I took a chance and exchanged it for the Welk Resort. We didn't really know what to expect, other than it's not near town. We were more than surprised and impressed by this property.

Our one-bedroom suite was one of the nicest appointed rooms we've stayed at in years. It was classy in every sense of the word. When we threw open the curtains and saw the view my wife almost cried. Our room looked right over the cliffs into the ocean - a literal million dollar view (the house situated to the east of the hotel is up for sale for $8 million...with a similar view).

The pools are infinity and face downtown Cabo, you can see the Arch...simply amazing.

While you can go to the beach...it's not really worth it. The pools are better.

Service was great. Food was not.

The food was overpriced and bordered on terrible. The waiters would not make any changes to the menu and seemed to have no authority to make changes to a menu to fit your needs. We ate two meals there in 7 days...went into town for the rest (we made our own breakfasts). Thankfully Cabo has great places to eat, but it's expensive and time consuming to go downtown just to eat.

Like we said, this hotel is not near downtown, but the view and the rooms as well as it's seclusion make it a place I'd go back to. It was one of our most favorite Cabo vacations (we've been five times).

We loved everything but the food at Sirena Del Mar....if they fix that....watch out Cabo!

We also had a couples massage, it was outside and there was a baby crying for part of it, but we still enjoyed it and would do it again.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer towers on the West side.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ScottyJD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (499)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Awesome resort! A smaller resort with only 2 buildings but it was great because the place wasent packed. The beach was very accessible. Prices are a little more than your average retuarant at the resort. But you could easily take a taxi to the walmart or costco down the road. People there are very friendly and accomadating! Shout out to our concierge, Jazzie and service man Fransico for making our stay so pleasant!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Jbcalderero
Bowmanville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Great resort...... stayed in older building penthouse first two nights..... great view of Land's End. Room was great. Asked to move to the new building penthouse for the rest of the trip and the wish was granted. New building has a little nicer furnishings and a hot tub on the balcony, also the sliding glass doors from bedroom and dining room slide into the wall for a true outdoor/indoor feeling.

Resort people were great.... just let them know at the beginning if you don't want to listen to a time share pitch and they left us alone. Menu was good at the only restaurant and work out facilities were good. A very quiet resort where you get to know people. Two good barbeques that we cooked up some ribeyes one night.

Rent a car..... go to hotwire or expedia and you can pay about 50 bucks.... but there is a catch.... you have to pay the 20 dollar a day liability insurance for Mexico. Total was 230 for the week because our credit card covered insurance. Avoid everything else they try to sell you.

Walmart and Costco are good to stock up on food and they are only 5 mins away. Prices are ok.

One downfall of resort is room cleaning...... once a week for penthouse..... doesn't seem right. We have stayed in Turks and Belize and they clean daily for the same price. Taking out your own garbage does not seem right.

Went to Solomons landing to eat downtown and the food was great.... only downfall is the harassment of people trying to sell things while I am eating surf and turf. I know everyone has to make money but there is a time and place. I would say stay away from cabo city and visit some of the outlying restaurants.

Went fishing three times and dealt directly with the people at the harbour.....avoid middle man and you will get a cheaper price. Very few give you a honest answer. Make sure when you shake on a deal that it includes price of boat, bait (Live), and drinks.....(beer and water)... and taxes. I got a different story from every salesperson lol. They should clean up the harbour area on dishonesty and I think more people will go fishing. Boat captains and crew were good..... but they have very little to do with the salesman.

One more thing....... when you claim you luggage off the airport and pass through customs...... look out. Swarm of timeshare people will harass you ..... be rude if you have too and walk through them.... get outside and look for your rental agency or a cab. they will say they are from thrifty, one even asked my son what resort we were going to behind my back ....... then said he was from Welk and I will take you there. Can't believe they allow these people there.... kinda embarassing.

Overall, beautiful spot with good fishing. More regulation is needing for the attack of the timeshare crew lol.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Chimo3434
Colorado Springs, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I just got back from a week at Sirena del Mar and I couldn't be happier with my choice. I loved this resort.

My favorite part is that it's a small and intimate resort with a killer location. It's closer to Cabo (15 min cab ride $15) than San Jose. It has a couple of gorgeous infinity pools with views of the Arch and the rooms are modern complete with all appliances you need for cooking in - they even have washer/dryer in the room. The patio overlooks the waves as they crash onto the rocky coastline and if you're into snorkeling, they have a little stretch of beach that you should check out. The resort has snorkel gear and beach chairs for you so after a short walk down the spiral staircase, you literally go out about 4 ft into the clear, warm water and you see at least 20 different variety of fish. Snorkeling wasn't real high on my 'to-do' list until I got to experience it here. Now I'm hooked.

The restaurant at the resort has excellent food and I found myself opting to eat-in more than going to town. I'm a big breakfast eater and the eggs benedict were my favorite. I'd also recommend the sea bass as the chef will cook it any way you'd like it. There is also an area with grills close to the pools for those wanting to BBQ on your own.

The resort has lots of fun activities available every day and Manny will make sure you enjoy it all. It was a plus to have a modern fitness center full of new equipment to use and best of all, I got to look at the sea while doing my workout. Don't forget to book your spa massage, either. While they don't have a formal spa building, the cabana is positioned outdoors and it was wonderful to hear the ocean while I enjoyed a relaxing massage.

Can't wait to return. For me, Sirena del Mar has it all.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront but go ahead and upgrade to the 1-bed villa. It has more sq ft and is wor...
5 Thank ATowe
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Spent 6 days at Sirena del Mar in August 2013 - purchased time through VRBO. Excellent option for folks looking to have a fully-stocked room away from the the actual town but still very close (believe it was 1.5 turnarounds from start of Cardenas, if that helps). Infinity pools were beautiful, towels always available, generally not terribly crowded (although it was low season). Staff were very friendly and willing to help (although took ~1 hour to get some room assistance one night - was a bit late, so wrote that off). Food in the restaurant was pretty good - would definitely recommend. We liked that we were able to cook a few meals ourselves (including breakfast every day) - the kitchen in our unit (Large 1-bedroom) was great. Bathroom was quite large, with a 3-head design for the large 2-person shower. A/C worked great and there were fans in each room, as well as on the patio. Valet for car was usually 1-2 min from calling down from the room. Overall, an absolutely great choice for couples looking to have a mellow trip that may not involve hitting the CSL downtown bars.

Room Tip: Request room on 3rd floor or above for best views - we were in "old" building and were not...
2 Thank bdriggs85
Mission Viejo, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

WE JUST GOT BACK! SO HERE IS A NEW ACCURATE RATING!

1. Location was PERFECT! Close enough to Cabo town if you wanted a cab. We went only once because the Hotel was so great!
2. The hotel is on a Cliff over looking the most amazing cove for swimming and snorkeling! It puts La Jolla to shame! The beach and water was amazing. They give you snorkel gear and beach chairs to borrow upon request. I lost my sunglasses and they even loaned me a pair!
3. All rooms are ocean front with all new appliances and washer and dryer. Super Clean and comfortable. Kitchen is fully stocked with everything you need to cook, drink or eat with (once you go to Walmart, 8 min away).
4. Food was great! My favorite chef was OMAR, he made me anything I wanted and with a smile always! Taco Tuesday was so yummy too!
5. Bartenders and waiters..... so cool, friendly,courteous, and prompt. sometimes shorthanded and wearing many hats, they still managed to have fun with us. Hugo, Fabian, Luis, and Jorge!! Muy excellente ! Ask for them! I never wanted for anything, i always had a drink in my hand or food!
6. Upon arriving two people helped us with cabs and where the best places are to eat or do whatever. Jazzie (Conceirge) and Gabriel (bell boy)! They both made us feel very special and cared for.
7. Entertainment! You can't forget Manny with his FUN choice of music and his funny PERSONALITY! He made all the partys at the Pool very fun! He included everyone! Great guy!

Because of the wonderful staff and the beauty of this small hotel with an amazing location......WE ARE GOING BACK EVERY YEAR NOW!!! Our kids will go with us next time! Great family place and VERY safe! They lockup the gates at night. We are so happy we found this place! It is my new second home!
I may have forgot to mention someone there, but seriously everyone was terrific!
Shawn and Dominick 8/9 - 8/16/2013

Room Tip: All rooms are Spectacular... all ocean front!! Air conditioning works!! All Views amazing because th...
4 Thank Shawnlm
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at Sirena Del Mar in early August of 2013 in a one bedroom villa. The room was absolutely fabulous, spacious, amazingly clean and had a jacuzzi in the bedroom! We had beautiful ocean views from our balcony and could see "El Arco" off in a distance. It's a gorgeous scene, especially when the sunset is setting. The staff was very helpful and always greeted you with a "good morning," "buenos dias," "good evening," "may I help you with that.." and so on. If you need timeshare information talk to Billy and Rafa, an amazing husband and wife team that have the gift of making you feel like family. For concierge help- look for Gina, she's very knowledgeable with the area. Overall, an amazing location with breathtaking views and an A+ staff!

2 Thank SammyC_ofLA