“Loved the balcony and well appointed room.”

Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar
Ranked #14 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
San Marcos, California
“Loved the balcony and well appointed room.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Although the room was gorgeous with all of the needed amenities, the balcony was just as beautiful and almost an extension of the room and the view was incredible, the drive into the property was much less desirable. There was high fences with barb wire, trash and the road side is not well maintained. The management did not make maintenance a high priority either. Even though we complained about the empty water bottles and other trash next to the stairs by our room, it continued to clutter the ground the entire week we were there. The throw rugs in our room were high quality but they appeared to never have been cleaned. The resort used high end appliances, furniture and decorations but if they do not maintain the integrity of these items, it will soon become dumpy. The resort staff didn't seem to want to work hard and they also appeared short staffed. For example, the security gate was opened at night. This also gives a false sense of security especially since it feels like "the bad part of town". The resort could benefit by cleaning up the entrance, having a security guard at the gate 24 hours a day, having an employee motivation program and making maintenance a priority.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Sherie K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
Monterey Bay, California
Reviewed July 29, 2013

In my opinion, you must have a car at this property. I'm a pretty boring person and I'd go crazy being trapped here for anymore than 2 days without an easy way out. To much of your precious vacation time (and money) would be spent waiting for taxis, and although I love taking buses in Mexico, the long uphill hike and the crossing of 4 different sections of traffic make it an undesirable and unsafe option.

We chose this resort because we have been to Cabo many times and have always stayed in the Medano area. We've also stayed on the East Cape, but wanted to rent a car and do more exploring this trip. We thought the location of Sirena Del Mar would be a good central location and it was for what we wanted to see and do.

The ocean view is beautiful and the rooms are spacious (Premium 1 bedroom). We slept with all the windows open every night and listened to the waves. Our room overlooked the beach and our balcony was almost completely private as our neighboring balcony was the timeshare show model. There are some rooms in the other section that have views of the arch that would be undesirable....lower floor and everyone at the pool can look into your unit. My daughter would have to use the pull-out bed and we assumed we'd be buying a Walmart blow-up mattress to place on top for her comfort. Mexican beds are already a challenge because they tend to be as firm as concrete, but a Mexican pull-out could be used as a torture device. Before we headed to Walmart, we asked if they had any extra padding available and they did! They came and put the egg crate foam down and it became sleepable. I was hoping since Welk is US based that they'd have US type mattresses, but they didn't. If you like any type of cushion, it becomes rough sleeping after a few nights. We did go on the timeshare tour as we wanted to see the Penthouse and what they were charging for Mexico. Let me say, our unit, although nice, didn't quite look like the timeshare show room. I was missing a lot of decor and it seemed even lighting was brighter over there. The timeshare unit was also lacking the quality Mexican construction that our unit displayed. Our shower was self-destructing before our eyes. It leaked with every shower through the tiles that were falling apart and my husband stabbed his foot on hunks of grout. If you're going to plunk down 50k a week...go tour some regular non-display rooms before writing a check. We got maid service one time during our stay, so we washed a lot of towels on our own.

The pool and BBQ area are nice, but small. It was extremely quiet when we were there, yet they said the place was full. The crowd seemed to be mostly couples and then families with young children. The pool loungers are uncomfortable if you're planning to hang for the day. Looking for some more excitement, we were welcomed at our favorite resort on Medano and ended up hanging out there for a few days - much better pool scene, food and service than Sirena Del Mar. Having the BBQ's are a must since getting into town can be a hassle. I hope Welk plans to install many more of them. There are only 2 now for the 2 buildings and both nights we used them only 1 was operational. On one night, there was about an hour wait to BBQ. The view is spectacular while you Q.

We used the gym almost every morning and it's well equipped. My suggestion would be to add more treadmills. They were the piece of equipment most in demand, yet there were only 3. I also hope Welk is planning on adding another gym when they complete their next 2 buildings, as the existing gym will not be able to handle the increase in guests.

Although you only get maid service one time per week, they were constantly sweeping and cleaning the exterior. The property was extremely clean. I wish they had a central location where you could place your trash and recycle. I don't mind walking to a dumpster. It seemed people just dumped their trash in the hallway or in the stairwell area and then housekeeping would collect it.

Overall, it's a beautiful, little hidden property. Finding it the first time while driving may take a few returnos, but once you have it located, it's in a great location to Costco, Walmart and Mega for supplies. Although we completely enjoyed our stay, it's not our Cabo place. Even with a car, I enjoy being able to walk to restaurants in the evening, walk to the Office for breakfast and have a morning swim on Medano. Do not fear renting a car. Driving is easier in Cabo than the Bay Area....just roll those altos and watch for the barely marked topos and you'll be good to go. Enjoy!

Room Tip: High floor. All rooms in the 2 ocean front buildings have nice views. I would avoid the low floor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Sirena Del Mar Rocks! Billy and Jazzie were awesome.
This was our second visit to this amazing resort. The staff is the friendliest we have encounter in all our trips. My wife and I particularly enjoyed the private beach, papaya juice, and the ocean front view.
We highly recommend this resort!

1 Thank LuisandLuvie
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My husband and I traveled to Cabo recently to check out Welk Resorts since we are owners. It was absolutely fantastic. From the food to the staff, it was probably the best vacation we have taken and we've taken quite a few to some great places and stayed in really great accommodations. We loved all the staff. Very helpful not at all over-bearing or nagging. Guests must remember that it is a timeshare accommodation. It's not one of those cheap, all-inclusive resorts where the staff are annoying, the food is terrible and the drinks are watered down. If that's your desire, Welk is not for you. All the rooms are oceanfront not ocean view or partial views. It's literally on the beach. You pay for quality here. The food is delicious at the restaurant for all meals. Even though you should explore Cabo's cuisine. Staff members Alex, Jorge, Manny, Angel, Gina, Luis, Gabriel and Billy and so many others made the stay even better. They were hands down the best staff we've encountered while traveling. Great staff, great vacation. If you enjoy visiting the town, venturing out to local spots- all the staff are helpful, honest, and friendly. They'll lead you to the right places. Don't expect your sheets and towels to be changed everyday unless you ask. Again, it's a timeshare. The staff will accommodate your needs as soon as you ask. Enjoy Cabo, enjoy Welk. It's a great place, truly a hidden gem. We'll be back in the fall... See you guys then.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jasmine C
Whittier, California
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 7 days. Its a little hard to find if you arrive late at night (across from Home Depot). This is a beautiful property, with excellent, friendly staff. Our one bedroom with kitchen, living room and balcony were clean, comfortable and very adequate, Don't over pack with clothes, They have a nice washer and dryer in the unit. The only negative was the bathtub/shower was very elevated and borderline unsafe when getting in and out. I don't believe all the unit bathrooms are structured this way. We took advantage of the pool and gym each day. The pool has a swim up bar. The restaurant food and service were good. Since the property is near Walmart and Costco, we drove our rental car there and were able to stock our unit's kitchen. We did daily excursions/picnics to some very nice beaches (Chileno, Cerritos, Palmilla, Santa Maria, and Medano). The hotel will provide you with an umbrella, beach chairs, and snorkeling equipment if you ask. Bring a small collapsible ice chest and enjoy your cold beverages and sandwiches on the beach. The resort is not in the hotel zone, so you don't have to deal with huge crowds, traffic, or drunks and the barrage of street vendors. It is close enough to party and shopping areas if you want to participate. We also drove to San Jose Del Cabo where they have an art walk every Thursday evening. Todos Santos and Cerritos Beach are about an hour away for a nice day trip. If you have never been to Mexico, just be prepared for lots of vendors in the public areas and an onslaught of persons at the airport and car rental agency trying to get you to attend time share presentations. They offer many freebies, but the presentations can be brutal. Overall, our experience at this resort was excellent and we would visit again.

3 Thank Dakotakid5691
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I found this resort last December and returned July 6-13.

This is our favorite place to stay.

We rented a driver from Cabo Transfers who took us to Wal-Mart for all our groceries. $250 for the whole week including booze.

The kitchen is equipped with everything you need. We did take several Tervis glasses as well. I brought several ziploc bags for food storage, those Folger coffee packs and spices and packets of ketchup, mayo, etc. from restaurants so you don't spend a fortune at the store and throw away money.

This is the best whale watching place in Cabo. December the view is spectacular.

Not once did we get pressure to do the time share song and dance. We smiled and walked by. Just say NO!

I got a massage for my bday, it was fantastic!

See you in December!

Room Tip: All rooms have a view!
3 Thank Kelly2857
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I just returned from 7 days at Sirena Del Mar (July 5-12) and I would highly recommend it! The resort was beautiful - very clean, service was fantastic, great view of El Arco. We absolutely loved it. We stayed in the larger 1 bdrm unit and it was awesome - lots of space, huge walk-in shower, granite/tile throughout, large living area and bedroom and we spent most of our time on the giant balcony (with hammock). We got very lucky and had one of the best views of the arch in the whole resort.

I feel like most of my observations have already been mentioned in other posts, but here are a few tips:
1. Bring insulated (aka Tervis) cups for the pool. You can bring beverages from your room (no glass) and they help keep them cold.
2. Buy some groceries - all rooms have a kitchen, so we usually ate breakfast and lunch in the room. It was also nice to have our own beer although we did still buy some drinks from the pool bar.
3. Plan to take cabs to dinner/downtown if you don't rent a car. The walk to the public bus is long and uphill. I am an avid runner (very active) and I would not walk to the bus stop - too long, hot and dusty. I can't believe there are people on here who say you can walk it. Cabs are $15 each way.

I read a lot of conflicting reports about the beach and I think it depends on the week you're there. We enjoyed walking on it, but the surf was too rough and there are too many rocks to do much swimming/snorkeling. However, small children could have played along the edge of the water if you prefer the beach to the pool.

Overall - great trip. We will be back!! :)

Room Tip: Building 1 has the best view of the arch. The higher the better. 1401A and 1403A (and the penthouse...
4 Thank ljsk