“A GREAT VACATION EXPERIENCE” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar

Welk Resorts Sirena Del Mar
Ranked #11 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Beaumont, California
“A GREAT VACATION EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I are owners at the Welk Resort in Escondido, California and were very excited about the opportunity to stay at Sirena Del Mar. Being a Welk Resort owner we were expecting it to be a first-class resort and it exceeded our expecations. It is small and intimate with a friendly staff that makes you feel like family. The location is beautiful, overlooking the Sea of Cortez and we never tired from watching the waves crash on the rocks below our balcony. Gina greated us warmly at reception when we checked in. Our rooms were not ready yet so we lounged by the pool and enjoyed a Margarita (or two). The bell boy, Franciso, could not do enough for us and was always there to help. The indoor dining room is not completed yet so dinners and special evening are outdoors with a beautiful view. Only one night when it was cold and windy was this a problem. The food was excellent with kudos to the Chef. If there is anything negative to say, it would have to be the need to take a Taxi if you choose not to eat at the Resort or want to do shopping. This can get very expensive. There is local bus service ;however the Resort is situated about 1/2 mile from the main road and it is an uphill walk on a narrow road. You then have to cross the main road to catch the bus depening on what direction you want to go. Bus fare is only $1 per person to go to Cabo so it is reasonable compared to pricey cab fares. In spite of this drawback, Sirena Del Mar is a great experience and we would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an escape from the mega-resorts in Cabo or San Jose Del Cabo.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Raynham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

My husband and I just returned from our week stay at Sirena del Mar, our first time to Cabo. What a wonderful resort! From the moment we arrived we were extremely well treated. Because we were early, our condo was not ready so we sat by the pool and had lunch. The food was delicious and the portions were huge as we found out at subsequent meals later on. In no particular order, here's all the great points....gorgeous, million dollar view with waves crashing on the rocks; two beautiful infinity pools overlooking the view and the small, private cove beach; activities everyday (water aerobics, bingo, great cooking class, ping pong etc.); evening dining events (fiesta, dining under the stars, prime rib, seafood night, etc.); plenty of poolside chairs and beach chairs on loan for the cove; very clean; barbecue grills to cook your own food; happy hour drinks; super fitness room. And the best for last - the staff. These people knew our names after the first day! In particular, Gabriel, Francisco, Gina, Fedra and Manny. These people really contributed to our great time and took care of all our need. Fedra even started taking care of us before we even arrived by contacting us via email to arrange transport from the airport to the resort. We can't say enough about this place. It's small enough to be intimate but not so small that it is lacking in anything. Hard as I try, I can't come up with a single criticism and I'm fussy. Walmart is a short taxi ride($10.00 ) or bus ride ($1.00) for purchase of food. If you want to go downtown to shop or have dinner, taxi is $15.00 and bus is $1.00.

Room Tip: Condos in the newer building (the building to the right of the pool,we had room 3109) have the best...
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Last year in April I searched high and low for the best place and hotel fit in Cabo to take my family and luckily found the Sirena Del Mar as a choice with my time share transfer program. It isn't one of those humongous up in your face and wallet hotels but rather a well designed and laid back one, exactly what a relaxing vacation requires. I reserved 2 ocean front rooms and just crossed my fingers that they would turn out to be half as good as they looked on the website. We were aware from the website that we were on a cliff-side hotel but the incredible views of the rocky cliffs and beaches along with the soothing sounds of the crashing waves made up for any concerns that we may have originally had.

They have a very up to date and visually stimulating lay out from the outdoor pools and jacuzzi to the one bedroom suites with their bedside jacuzzi, balcony with full sized dining table, and hammock. I can't tell you how enjoyable and restful it was to leave my windows open every night and fall asleep to the sounds of the water. I have never been what you would call a "happy" morning person but here it was all different... I would wake up early before dawn just to finish my night off by sleeping in the outdoor hammock while gazing as the stars and moon slowly gave way to the coming dawn. It was breathtaking and will ruin all my future attempts to find happiness in my next vacation hotel choices.

The only downside if it could be considered one was the fact that it only had access via a long circular stairway to a small beach that has some rough swimming conditions due to being on the rocky coast. The reality is that it is still a great feature to have there because you get a little of the best of both worlds, beach and rocky coast. The only reason I bring it up is because my older parents found it challenging to use it and you couldn't snorkel easily there. We had just as much fun in their modern pools overlooking the cliffs instead. If snorkeling is still a necessity you can easily find a boat excursion that takes out to the nearby "Bahia Santa Maria".

To top off the whole experience was the completely delightful staff from the front desk, valets, concierge, cleaning staff and servers we experienced nothing friendly faces and kind words to meet us everyday. It is no surprise that after searching again this year I found that the hotel has won a well deserved Tripadvisor.com 2013 Traveler's Choice award. The Sirena Del Mar is a a "Perfect Fit" for a soothing family or couples vacation. I will be looking forward to my eventual return unless this review make it too popular for me to get another reservation. lol

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeffvincent10
Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

The best part of staying at Welk was the SUPERIOR service and professionalism from FEDRA, the concierge. She set up daily trips/activities for me and my wife and they were all as promised: prompt pick times, safe environment, fun activities, guides who spoke English, and welcoming excursion workers. Each day started with a poolside breakfast that exceeded my expectations (I have high food expectations!), then off to our "excursion". Back to the hotel for afternoon use of the pool and swim up bar. A dip in the hot tub, prep for dinner in the room. After dinner (some were at the hotel - stay away from the steak), we were back at the Welk Resort (which taxi drivers know as Sirena del Mar) for a short sit by the fire pit where we chatted with guests. The room was clean and big, but they only clean it once a week; you can pay more for daily cleaning. The whole trip was excellent. FEDRA was a large reason why. The doorman GABRIEL was also very charming, welcoming, and helpful. If you stay at the Welk Resort, ask Fedra to help you and say hello to smiling Gabriel.

Room Tip: All the rooms overlook the water, so you can't go wrong. The 5th floor has GIGANTIC penthouses...
1 Thank lnardolillo
Hesperia, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed last 5 days of April 2013 and it was out 10th year anniversary trip. Front desk gave us better ocean view room (newer building) to congratulate our occasion, which made us feel so special! All resort staff were very friendly and showed willingness to help us. The pool and view from the pool was amazing. Jacuzzi experience during night times made us relaxed. My wife was so happy when she won 'ping-pong' game over me (I intentionally gave some points to see her beautiful smile! haha). thank you so much for providing us comfortable stay at Sirena del Mar! We will love to be back SOON!

Room Tip: Rooms on newer building has wide open Ocean view!
Gig Harbor, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

You will not find a more perfect resort in Cabo. The rooms are very clean, all with an AMAZING view of the water. Each room has a washer, dryer, everything you need to cook if you do not want to go out. Everyday they have a themed food/party if you don't want to leave the resort (and its so perfect you don't have too! The pools are terrific, But they take customer service to an even HIGHER level! Manny is the entertainment director, and does such an amazing job getting everyone involved in activities, and was ALWAYS smiling and explaining all of our options. Not only that, Manny took the time to ensure we knew the best places to eat outside of the resort. Each person working there was far above and beyond. We vacation all over the globe, this was mine and my husbands favorite trip.

Room Tip: All of the rooms face the water! All have excellent view!
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TeresaWynner
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week long vacation at Sirena Del Mar. The resort was spotless and had a great location on the Los Cabos corridor. The room was the smaller one bedroom and the view from the newer building over looked the beach. The private beach was beautiful and never crowded. The pool and fire pit areas were very comfortable and like the beach were never crowded. Unfortunately the dining options were limited and the food was not very appetizing. The staff is great but being on vacation, one wants good food and appetizing drinks. There was little to no alcohol in the drinks and quite frankly the Welks should seriously consider hiring a chef with talent. The reviews consistently mention the poor meals yet nothing has been done to address it in three years. While this was by far one of the most relaxing vacations I've had, I won't return due to the dining choices. Cooking in a kitchen and grilling out are reserved for time spent at home.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the beach are very nice.