“Perfect Family Vacation”

Ranked #12 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Seattle
“Perfect Family Vacation”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We saw all of the great reviews and decided to give this place a try. The Welk Resort was everythng that we had hoped. Great private beach, beautiful pool, sweet hosts. It's hard to say anything negative about the place. It's really stunning and every room has a view of the sea. We were on the ground floor and were happy not to have to climb stairs with the kids. So, ff you are looking for a super easy week (but not an adventure) then I'd check this place out. One other thing to add. I accidently left a ton (over $2,000) of cash out for 24 hours and headed up to Todos Santos for a night with my family. When I got back there was a nice note next to the cash I had forgotten to put in the safe reminding me to do so the next time I left my room. How nice is that? Super honest people. Don't forget to tip the staff and maids. There are a lot of people working hard behind the scenes trying their best to make your vacation a great one. Cheers, Matthew B.

Room Tip: Take the local bus to town. It's only $1 each way.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
Cypress, Orange County, California
Reviewed February 19, 2013

In September/October 2012 my wife and I had the privilege to be lodged in this magnificent resort. I don't remember to have stayed in a better facility. Modern building with all ocean view suites with everything so well designed and functional, dreamy bedding, a jacuzzi in the bedroom that my wife enjoy so much, a kitchen with everything you can think of, a terrific ocean view, a balcony with a hammock and a patio set, a very well-furnished gym, a very good outdoor restaurant and a warmed water couple of pools, one with an inside bar. Everything, absolutely, was flawless. Sirena del Mar is located at about 10 minutes of Cabo. Of course it's worth visiting and strolling around the Marina with a great mall and lively night life, which I consider a must see, but actually you don't need to leave the facilities to have a great time. Restaurants like La Puerta Vieja, which is at a 2 minute cab drive, has a gorgeous setting, outstanding food and a superb wine cellar. There is also another restaurant own by the Puerta Vieja owner at the beginning of the road that leads you to the resort that has a great lobster dinner for $19,95; outstanding value.
But without underestimating the beauty and the efficiency of the resort facilities, I'd like to point out what I consider the best of the best; its bilingual, friendliest, nicest, accommodating staff you can imagine. These guys go out of their way to make you happy, to satisfy your needs, to help you if any trouble arises with a smile. I went through an incident with the car rental company and they diligently and promptly help me fight back. I won, but only due to their cooperation. In Mexico, the bodyguards are named "guaruras", and that's exactly the way you feel with the service and help you get rom these guys. I didn't just feel pampered, I felt protected. Probably you gentlemen Edgar, Mario, Antonio, Abraham and other members whose names unfortunately I can't recall, remember that couple from California with an Argentine-born gray hair dud and a good-looking chic from Jalisco. But if you don't remember us, I do remember all of you and we always will. Thank you for your kindness and your remarkable job. We shall return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
beds
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I chose this hotel based on previous trip advisor reviews and I was not disappointed. In fact My 8 night stay exceeded expectations.
As a regular business travel I was looking for something more personal whilst delivering quality and location, I received this and more.
The location is stunning with excellent views of the ocean and the incredible sight of whales on an hourly basis (take binoculars). It,s a reasonable walk into Cabo so recommend a car which works out cheaper than taxi's.
The staff are excellent, Mario and the rest of the team were attentive and gave a really personal service.
We had the basic room in the new block which was superb and more than enough for two people. When we return we will go for the better room due to balcony size not room size.
Facilities were all great with a good fitness room open 24hrs, great pools and no shortage of sun loungers.
Food was good and of reasonable value.
Beach is accessed via a spiral stairway and does not have facilities however for those who have criticised this in previous reviews I would point out that this is a shared beach and not owned by the hotel. It's really pretty and a great place to spend a few hours - just take your food and drinks.
I highly recommend this hotel, no real negatives based on value and a whole load of benefits which will make you want to return.

1 Thank jonsBeds
seattle, wa
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Honestly, when I read the great reviews here again (as I did many times before booking), there isn't much to add. We had a fantastic 4-night stay here last week with our two teenagers and I only have two regrets: one, that we should have stayed longer, and two, that we had booked the larger one-bedroom suite, or maybe even the 2-bedroom penthouse (none were available at time of booking). The next time we come, I will make sure to rectify both of those! The deluxe one-bedroom is fine, just a little crowded with four of us, and we would have preferred to have the living room area open to the balcony, rather than the bedroom.

As stated, the views are just stunning from every resort location - rooms, pools, restaurant, hot tub, fire pit - and we enjoyed all of these. My husband snorkled at the private beach (the water was a little too cold for me and the kids!), we used the fitness center which was excellent, and enjoyed some of the resort activities (Friday Fiesta was fun, water aerobics in the pool, ping pong).

We drove to Cerritos beach - about 45 minutes drive up the Pacific Ocean side - for a nice sandy beach and to watch the surfers. We also drove to Chileno Bay, which is just a short drive from the hotel, on the way to San Jose, and enjoyed that beautiful beach, too. The hotel has beach chairs and umbrellas to borrow (free!), so it makes it very easy to go out and explore other places. We went into Cabo two nights for dinner and people watching, which the kids loved.

As everyone else has mentioned, the staff was truly TOP NOTCH - we loved the friendliness and helpfulness of the bell staff (especially Gabriel and Francisco) and all of the servers/bartenders were great. Manny really does make an effort to meet and remember everyone there - he added a lot of fun to our stay. Also, there was no pressure to attend the timeshare presentation after the initial invitation, which we really appreciated.

Although the resort was sold out for the long weekend we were there, it never felt crowded at the pool, restaurant, bar - always plenty of loungers, all in prime locations. We had a few meals at the restaurant and the food was very good (great fish and carne asada tacos).

Probably the highlight of the trip was the amazing views of the whales - most mornings they put on an incredible show right in front of the hotel.

We loved this place and will surely return, hopefully SOON!

1 Thank amydd
Ashland, Ohio, United States
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I have been to many luxury resorts all over the US and Mexico, most don't disappoint and they provide the amenities you would want while spending a week of your time there. The Sirena Del Mar (welk) differentiates itself over othe luxury resorts ; it is a great resort with clean rooms, nice landscaping, breathtaking views and delicious food. The location is great a short drive to downtown Cabo San Lucas if that is your flavor or just a few extra minutes in the other direction to San Jose del cabo. The resort also benefits from being built along the cliff side, the sea seems only feet away from your room's balcony. Close enough to hear the waves and the infinity pools overlook the beautiful waters below. The beach is a short walk down a sidewalk and a spiral staircase and is much closer than I had originally thought it would be. The biggest difference between the welk and any other place I have stayed is the staff. You feel like you are home here, everyone makes you feel very welcome and as if their only purpose is to make your stay better. The restaurant has top notch service, the waiters are attentive and never made us want to go somewhere else to eat like I have experienced at other resort restaurants. If you stay at the welk (you should) make sure you find Manny if he doesn't find you first, Manny is the event coordinator at the welk and does a superb job. He is very personable and knows how to make the stay one to remember, from snorkeling right off the beach to bar-tending class or DJing the fiesta Manny will add some fun to your stay. Let Manny know what you are into and he will deliver!  Whatever they pay him is not enough, I just hope mi amigo Manny is there the next time we go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Aaron H
vancouver
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week as a family of four and were impressed with the resort. The one bedroom room had a couch that the kids slept on and the seperate bedroom was spacious with a comfortable king bed and good linens. The bathroom and shower were spacious and kitchen had everything you would need - blender, full oven, pots and pans. My wife spent a lot of time on the balcony hammock and I enjoyed watching the whales from the patio chairs. It is a small resort which means limited activities and hours for services such as the swim-up bar. The pools and hot tub were usually a good temperature, never too busy and many chairs and umbrellas were available. I agree with previous posts that say if you are going to use the restaurant, Taco Tuesday and Fiesta Friday are the times to go. I would recommend a car as it is a long walk to any store or off-property restaurant. It was my first time driving in Mexico and it was much better than I had anticipated. The roads were generally good, other drivers not loco and it was easy to get to places. We did day trips to Todos Santos, a zoo and hot springs near Santiago and many drives into Cabo, San Jose and grocery stores. As far as resort fees go, I agree they are annoying and I wish they would just add them up front to the nightly rate. However, the $7/day is the lowest we've seen for a daily fee.
The last 5 resorts we've been to (Oregon, California and Hawaii) have all had $25-35/day for the same services- wifi, valet parking, snorkeling equipment, towels, etc.
so we thought it wasn't a bad deal. The staff here are great and would always say hi or help If there was a question. As for painting and maintenance, it was pretty low-key and brief. Our last resort in Hawaii had jack-hammering during the day so I guess the painting wasn't an issue for us. We would return (at least until they start construction on the other buildings).

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank dsj22
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at Sirena del Mar because of this hotels high star rating on trip advisor. Wow, was I ever DISAPPOINTED! The view was spectacular, but most everything else was incredibly lacking! The kitchen was nice, as was having a washer and dryer. The penthouse balcony was spacious. BUT, the sheets were of poor quality, the shower didn't drain, there were tons of worms coming down from the ceiling(yes, WORMS! To which the staff replied there are lots of butterflies.), 120 long steps down to beach, no beach food or drink service, lots of yellow tape where painting was going on. Not having food or drink service at the beach ended up not being a big deal because the food was blah. Also, the surprise extra $7 a day fee seemed suspicious. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family