“Not worth the price...”
Review of Cabo Cush Hotel

Cabo Cush Hotel
Ranked #3 of 27 Cabo San Lucas B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

Cabo Cush is a decent place if you're in need of a bed for 1-2 nights. I stayed only one night and discovered the hotel patrons use the location for drug dealing. There was one gentleman right outside my room window who asked my boyfriend if he'd like to buy some cocaine. At that point we decided it was too late to leave and remained in our rooms...slept with one eye open and left as soon as we could in the morning.

I'm not sure if the hotel staff are aware of the dealing, but it didn't feel like a safe place to stay for me.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank ARRome
jlayton53, Owner at Cabo Cush Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

I am the owner of the Cabo Cush Hotel. I live here at the hotel, with my wife and two children. The manager of our hotel, Jesus, also lives here with his wife and two kids. We do not allow drug dealing of any nature here. We are not passive in this policy. Any employee or guest involved would be asked to leave immediately. The Cabo Cush Hotel is family owned, family run, and family friendly. I apologize to these travelers who had a bad experience here. Sincerely, Jeff Layton, The Cabo Cush Hotel

Reviewed January 25, 2013

There is a reason this hotel gets good reviews here and is a Fodor's Choice hotel. For $50 a night, don't expect the Ritz. It is a nice, clean, well-run small hotel with not many amenities. The quiet Mexican neighborhood where it is located is just a short walk from great restaurants, a nice supermarket, the nightlife district and the marina. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room isn't fancy but has a television, fan, air conditioning and wireless internet. For the price, a steal.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J_Hawk_08
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked this hotel because of the great reviews on Trip Advisor, and the great looking photos published on Expedia. I was expecting it to be like a boutique hotel, something decent but not fancy.

My heart sank when I saw the hotel. It look like an old Motel 6 from the outside, with dirt lot for parking. The site said the hotel was built in 2008 but the building looked like it was over 40 years old if not more.

The check-in was smooth and staff were friendly. The room was considerably clean except for the mushy smell when we first entered. We had to air the room for a while.

The room has air conditioning, a small TV, a fan and plenty of electrical outlets. They provided only one bath towel with one wash cloth. When we asked for additional set, they had to take it out from other room. There is no hair dryer. In contrary to other reviewer had said, the room actually has a small safe box but we didn't use it.

The king size bed was comfortable. The sheets and towels were clean and not smelly. The hot water was working well, so is the Internet. They also have water cooler at the reception.

The neighborhood was pretty run down with some restaurants and a salon on the street. We walked at night a couple times around 11pm, it was pretty safe. Expect some dogs barking, and rooster calling near dawn.

In summary, expect basic necessities and a great location but nothing more.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank codebeans
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Good, clean room at a decent price. The hotel is a 15-minute walk from the main strip, which means that it is more quiet at night. I didn't see any sign of a restaurant/bar, but that was no big deal, as there are plenty of options nearby. Overall, I would say it was a great deal for $50 a night..

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 17 nights. Our room was clean, cosy and what a comfortable bed!! The staff and Management bent over backwards to help us with anything as it was our first trip to Mexico - Jeff the owner even went so far as to install a strongbox in our room for our passports etc! The room was cleaned every day to a very high standard. Cabo cush is just far enough away from the nightlife to be peaceful but it's only a 5 minute walk to all the action! It is close to some very good (and cheap) eating places with a well stocked supermarket just down the road. We would highly reccommend this hotel and will definitely be returning.
Mel & Tracey

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Very friendly, smiley staff. Easy quick checkin. Very clean and comfortable. The building can't be more than 3 years old. Nice tiling in the rooms with new beds (key:). Colorful new sheets and bedding. Towels and soap in room. Quiet and Internet works well. I would recommend this place to anyone. You can't go wrong. A couple blocks from the marina. Lots of good cheap local taco places along the way. Best fish/marlon tacos ever a few doors towards the water on the left, it's an orange building. Will stay here again. Thanks!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back from our week long trip in Cabo San Lucas. After traveling all day from the East Coast and getting scammed at the airport we just wanted to check into our room and get some drinks. There was someone at the front desk to check us in and he was flipping through a composition book looking for my name... It seemed like it wasnt even in here but he told us our room was upstairs and we were all set.

Since we were carrying a lot of cash I called the week before we traveled to make sure that they had a safe in the room...the employee on the phone told me yes. There was no safe to be found...

The rooms were decently clean and simple with large beds. If you are looking for a lavish, all-inclusive hotel, this is not the spot. For about $41/night we slept there, showered and went out for the day. It is in the middle of the Mexican neighborhoods so it feels more authentic instead of being stuck in the middle of a secluded resort. Although, this comes along with stray dogs barking throughout the night and morning. The staff were always very very friendly and tried to be as helpful as they could with our Spanglish.

So the first day we got there we dropped our bags and headed down the street (Zaragoza) to find a bar. Immediately out of the hotel an older american man approaches us asking for money saying his car was locked in a parking garage and his debit card was stolen. We tried to tell him no but we got nervous and gave him $5. We were totally creeped out bc the guy was really agressive and seemed like a drug addict. He told us he would pay us back immeadiately but we didnt want to tell him where we were staying.... Fast forward to the bar and the bartenders/locals told us this guy was a scam and does it to everyone...We ended up seeing this guy about every day hanging out at Cabo Cush with the staff and just sitting in the hotel. This made us feel very awkward... We didn't really feel safe with this creep lurking around the hotel.

Another guy kept harassing myself and my boyfriend. This crack head who LIVES in Cabo Cush with his druggie girlfriend. They are american as well... from Seattle and they will probably ask you to come hang out in their room and "chill". They were so relentless and I kept telling my bf that he was making me nervous. The guys name is Vitelli and his gf is Carla... they are apparently friends with the owner so that made us feel really safe as well. Just be aware of your surroundings here and you will have a great time. Many locals told us to be careful walking home late at night but we never had any problems. They locals were always so friendly and helpful, it was more the burnout Americans that we had a problem with.

The best thing is that you can walk literally everywhere from this hotel!

Room Tip: Turn your AC on when you go out for dinner! Be careful of the losers who live at Cabo Cush.