“A Bargain That's No Bargain”
Review of Cabo Cush Hotel

Cabo Cush Hotel
Ranked #3 of 29 Cabo San Lucas B&B and Inns
Todos Santos
“A Bargain That's No Bargain”
Reviewed November 4, 2011

You get what you pay for....A friend and I needed a place to stay for a night out with friends in Cabo. Both the slick little brochure I had seen, along with going to the hotel's very professionally designed website had us thinking we may have found a hidden gem, so we booked a room. What was marketed and presented as a contemporary, clean and new, inexpensive place to stay in the heart of the business district, was extremely disappointing upon arrival. We called ahead to let them know we would be checking in late, and the manager was kind enough to be waiting on the sidewalk by the time we arrived, around 10:30pm. There was no obvious parking, but he directed us to a dark sidestreet around the corner and met us in the back, then locked the gate. We seemed to be the only guests.
The first room he took us to reeked of smoke, so we asked for another room. It was an improvement, odor-wise, and there was a king bed and a twin. The first thing I saw were all the stains on the bedspread...very gross. The manager soon returned with a cable box for the TV, and a code for me to get online. He put the AC on for us, and there was an old fashioned fan attached to the wall above the TV that he turned on as well. He came back a second time with towels, wash cloths and little packets of Pantene shampoo.
We were pretty tired and not up to looking for another place at that hour, so looked at each other and knew as the troopers we are, we would be ok for just a night...no big deal. When I turned down the bed, there were holes all over the top sheet....ugh! looked like maybe cigarette burns...really tacky, and hard to make the best of it, but I did.
Not sure who Cabo Cush is catering to, obviously clients with low expectations...but they sure hired some classier person to market it! WE fell for it. To be honest, the place has potential to be what it says it is...with some major cosmetic surgery....the lighting was horrible, the linens were shabby and dirty. If they put as much effort and money into upgrading the decor and overall feel of the rooms, as they have into their advertising, they might stand a chance as a cool place to stay on the cheap.
The manager was a really nice guy and very accommodating, and he was the nicest thing about Cabo Cush....No "cush" was anywhere to be found. You'd do much better paying an extra $25 to stay at the Santa Fe, a half block up the road.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank MilkmaidTS
jlayton53, Owner at Cabo Cush Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
All of us here at The Cabo Cush Hotel have read this review. We send our sincere apologies to these two weary travelers. We are a small hotel (with a very small advertising budget). The impact of this review has been strongly felt by all.

We pride ourselves on the quality of our mattresses, our towels, and our linens. Every effort is made to provide a very clean, cozy, tidy room for our guests, at the best price possible. A room was prepared for the ladies. All rooms are non-smoking. Unfortunately, this room had been smoked in by the previous guest, and we didn't catch the problem prior to check in.

We are currently inspecting each and every room for damaged linens, and these will be removed and replaced with new ones. We are committed to providing a quality hotel experience at a bargain price.

Again, our sincere apologies to the two weary travelers. You gave us a chance and we let you down. We vow to remain a bargain that is a bargain, and to never let a weary traveler down.

Jeff Layton
Owner, The Cabo Cush Hotel
Cabo San Lucas, BCS Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I stayed here for two weeks without a hitch. The facility itself appears to be new...I'm guessing it was built no more than two yrs ago. The staff was helpful, the desk clerks spoke sufficient english, and the cleaning staff did a great job. For the price(under $50) I was a bit nervous...almost everything decent that I found online was over a $100. The room itself was very spacious(see photos) The King size bed had a QUALITY mattress on it...for me that was huge. Who wants to be exhausted while they're on vacation because they can't sleep on their crummy mattress?

Not only would I highly recommend them, I am coming back for business in a month, and will definitely be staying here again.

To address one complaint about the wireless internet...I did experience a bug or two in my rm...but overall, had great connectivity. They also have a nice lounge-type area where the wireless was very strong.

Possible negatives? No pool, and the area, like much of Cabo isn't very wheelchair-friendly. It's a bit of a walk to the main drag...like 6 blks(for me this was a plus) But again...there is going to be trade-offs for the price-point. I found some great restaurants while I was there, so I put the $50-$100 that I saved to good use...and ate like a king!

Room Tip: My room was smack dab in the middle, and it was very quiet...there are rooms closer to the street th...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Thorp, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 3, 2011

This small court yard hotel was comfortable and cost efficient, $50 per night. We enjoyed being away from the water front and closer to traditional rhythms of the community, yet an easy safe walk to the harbor. The service was courteous and friendly and always available. Our room was simple yet clean and included the basics for our stay. There was also wi-fi, TV, phone, and a secure off street parking area.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mazetrio
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed July 30, 2010

C C hotel is a nice little 'motel 6" located six or seven blocks north of Squid Row. The mgt. and staff are great. Wi-Fi and cell phone to the US and Canada. I would stay there again. At $50 a night its a bargain

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple