“Overall A+”

Ranked #95 of 602 Restaurants in Cabo San Lucas
Cuisines: Barbecue, Mexican, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Way more than tacos! Terrace, Bar and fine cuts.
Reviewed August 4, 2014

My brother and I ate here due to friend recommendation and TV and lets just say we ended up eating there three times in three days.
The food is fantastic. Great meats available on taco (flour or corn), hard tostada shell, or in an empinada. The meats are all fresh and delicious. We all loved the Barbacoa (shredded beef) so I would highly recommend that. Also the grilled chicken is great as well as the catch of the day. Salsa Bar is great, especially the pineapple salsa. The horchata was the best I have ever had. All for a very reasonable price.
We got lucky on the first day and made a great friend out of our waiter. He worked all three times we were there. So friendly and such a great guy with great recommendations on the food, we had to take pictures with him. This will no doubt be our first stop next time in Cabo!

2  Thank zachtuck

Reviewed August 1, 2014

My wife and I first visited Asi & Asado a few years ago based on a friend's recommendation. When we arrived, we noticed that most of the tables were occupied by locals. Families, working class, and businessmen doing their thing.
The food was great and the staff seemed to be deliberately focusing on us, the newbies, to make sure we knew what we needed to know and that we availed ourselves of all this place has to offer.
We were back in Cabo last month and made this our first stop. Yep, got off the plane and drove to Asi & Asado for lunch. As my wife said, "I don't care where we eat tomorrow, I want to go back to that place today".
Our experience was just as pleasant as the first time we visited.
It's not a taco "stand" as they are referred to on the east coast, it's an open air restaurant with 15 or so tables.
The service was equally friendly, welcoming, and efficient. The food was very good.
The salsa bar is unequalled.
It is hard for me to grasp some of the low marks that suggest a 40 peso taco is too expensive. Perhaps it is comparatively, but if you're looking for value, it is very easy to add 40 pesos worth of fixings and add-ons just from the salsa bar, if you're so inclined.
To me, the service is almost worth the price of the taco.

3  Thank WinnieC
Reviewed July 29, 2014

I tried different tacos. The most disappointing one was my chicken taco. It was a chicken breast on top of a tortilla which to me is not what an authentic mexican taco should look like. Yes they have a good salsa bar, but if your tacos are not all that great that doesn't really matter. The rajas and cheese taco was also very watery and left my tortilla very soggy. Wouldn't come here again.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Guy fieri does NOT know taquerias. I was interested as I had seen this on ddd. So we went. Yes, the salsa bar is excellent. Yes, the meats are fresh and of good quality. Yes, it's clean and cheap.

However......all over California there exist taquerias for the bold, and taco trucks everywhere for the initiated. In the SF Bay Area, oakland specifically, I can think of two trucks and at least a half dozen taquerias with salsa on par with asi, and better and I mean BETTER corn tortillas. They griddle the tortillas, which brings out the best flavor.

Taqueria el Fagon in San Jose del Cabo is waaaay better. We were disappointed. We expected better.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

These are the absolute best, freshest tacos you will ever have. We found it via recommendation from someone at our resort and it was hard to find at first. If you are driving towards Cabo San Lucas, you have to pass it, exit and make a U-turn under one of those short overpasses. If you are driving from Cabo San Lucas, then simply take the 2nd exit and it will be on the service road.

The selection of fresh tacos ranging from meat to seafood (and chicken) is amazing. My son enjoys the tenderloin tacos, my wife the empanada, and I go for the seafood (including scallops and octopus!). Then you take your tacos to the salsa bar and fill up. Beware of the Pico…this is not your typical Texas pico. It was so hot I was in tears after one bite. But everything is marked for how hot it is…I just wasn't paying attention. The variety of salsas and sides are staggering and not typical tex-mex…very authentic. Also try the grilled corn as an appetizer.

I normally reserve 5 stars for only high-end cuisine but this place is my one exception because of the quality to price ratio. We've been to Cabo only twice now and have eaten here 3 times already. In fact, we are leaving to eat there as soon as I finish this review. Know that it is outdoor only and not fancy.

2  Thank Nathaniel N