“Great location but not really wheelchair friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa

Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa
Ranked #28 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Olympia, Washington
“Great location but not really wheelchair friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2006

We own a timeshare at the Marina Fiesta. This is the best location--2-3 blocks from the beach or downtown Cabo. The resort is not fancy but meets our needs. There have been a few problems such as the maintainance on the older side is lacking. They also try to get you to sign an agreement so that they can bill you $6 per day to cover tips to staff so you don't have to worry about it. We didn't last year for the first time and no problem other than a little pressure to sign it. Now that I am much wiser, I would not encourage buying into a timeshare directly from the resort as you can get better deals with all the same amentities from regretful owners who got sucked in and pressured during the sales pitch.

If you are in a wheelchair, it is not truly accessible not matter what they tell you and this is from personal experience. There is one room that has sort of been modified but unless you are very adept at maneuvering in tight spaces such as the bathroom, don't even go there. They have made some wheelchair paths but still to get into town you have a big hill to manuever. We have made it work for us but when we bought, youth and strength were on our side.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Stayed February 2005
6 Thank Bruin1974

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (638)
Bakersfield, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2005

Marina Fiesta Resort is in the perfect location. It is within walking distance from almost everything. The hotel is nice, clean and well cared for. Our room over looked the marina. The rooms are not all the same. My brother-in-law and his wife were right next to us and their room was totally different from ours. They had a larger patio and just all different. It can get a bit noisy in the easly morning, but I didn't really mind it. All of the fisher men are getting ready to go out and it was fun to sit and watch them. Now the issue of the beds. I did not find them hard at all. They were fine. We did ask them to remove the mini bar as was recommded by others here. We had no problems at all. Everyone we encountered was really nice and very friendly. We enjoyed the pool area. The drinks and snacks were good. The only exception was "Fernan" the activities director, who was annoying. He kept pestering us to go to the other pool for 2 for 1 drinks. The other pool is located on the roof top of one of the buildings and is rather small. I did not care for it. We tried to avoid him. The Spa was so-so. I had a massage. I have them regularly and I felt "beat-up" not massaged. I was sore the next day as well. Makes me wonder about the training. We really enjoyed the CaboRey Dinner cruise. The meal was top notch, the cruise incedible because of the sunset and El Archo. We did pass one of those small, "party" boats and were "mooned" by one of the drunks. After dinner they had a nice show featuring Tango dancers, and Gouchos. We also ate at Pochos-on the marina -big mistake, had cramps afterwards felt terrible, Senor Greenburgs, breakfast and lunch, very good and yummy, Gardenias Sea food, dinner. Great! You have to try the Molcajete Shrimp, Senor Sweets, breakfast- very good also very yummy. Ruth Chris Steak House, expensive, but excellent. The Shrimp Bucket was okay but not all that- wouldn't go back. Drinks at Cabo Wabo -fine... But the very best was Amarome, Ristorante Italiano- magnificent, incedible, expensive but so worth it!! They have a terrific Jazz trio twice a week. Staff was very attentive. We were there 3 times!! The street vender can realy get on you nerves, but it par for the course. Now about the Time Share. Do not go unless, you are considering it. It was a wasted 4, yes 4 hours! While it a beautiful location, the breakfast was only okay. The presentation just dragged on and on. Was the small bottle of tequilla, blanket, 100 dollars off the Spa and discounted cruise worth it? Not really. Our time was more valuable. But all in all our vacation at Maria Fiesta was excellent. We would go back.

14 Thank drgnflyz
Temecula, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2005

We had a few problems but nothing that could not be handeled with the "oh well we are on vacation in a foriegn country" attitude. Arrived on time and were able to check in early, that was a plus. Went right to our room which was on the ground floor. This is great if you want to walk right out to the pool but felt a little like a fish bowl to me because there is no barrier between your patio and the pool so you can actually talk to someone sitting in a lounge chair (I did!). Tried to get a change but they had nothing. After checking back the next day they said to check back the next. After that we were just "all right" about the room. The other problems were minimal. Someone opened our door with their key and insisted we were in their room even though we'd been there for 2 days. Well so happens our room was 118, hers was 518, so I'm not sure how the whole key thing works but we went to the desk because my key no longer worked and they made new keys for us. The other problem was when we went to make change they began checking us out of our room, no big deal, we just had to keep explaining we only wanted change. Other problem was they did not keep my appointment with the spa as their manicurist called in sick. They did apologize but this was my last day and I could not rebook. They did not heat the jacuzzi's at the back pool and they had no water in the one upstairs. Other than that the pool area was kept very nice and they just installed a flat screen in the palapa bar which was nice.
Now on to the good parts...this is the best location I've ever stayed in. I love to walk and we only took 1 cab the entire time there. We walked to the beach, our fishing trip, the clubs, restaurants, shopping. There is a nice mall right there. The store down off the pool area was a godsend for soda, beer, snacks and everything. They even had internet access. The phone calls from our room were not nearly as expensive as the Hilton, paid about $2.00 as opposed to $20.00. Went to the Museum of Tequila, very nice man who worked there, gave me a civche recipe and gave us alot of history on Tequila. Also ate at one of the restaurants for breakfast, not the Shrimp Bucket (never made it there) and it was just ok. Only tried room service once at 9pm and were told they were closed although menu said til 11pm. The little refrigerator was nice but we never used the stove, only the coffee maker. They do have their own minibar stuff in the fridge but there's enough room to put your own stuff in too. All in all I'd say the location beat out the weird thing that happend and I'd stay again. This is just not for the really picky people though.

I will add photos later.

9 Thank Diane C
RicardoU, Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 25, 2016
Dear Guest Thank you for your review

Marina Fiesta Resort and Spa
Reno, NV
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2005

Just had to give my input, due to a few disparities with other's opinions. Booked a week as a rental through redweek (10/2-10/9). Check-in was a breeze, no problem with the reservation and room was ready prior to check in time (Thanks, Paola!) Rooms were clean, and well enough appointed. Beds at first seemed a little hard, but after a few days of vacation we all slept pretty darn well. (perhaps it was the Pacifico's?)
The front pool was going through some renovation, so the palapa bar seating wasn't open, but, the service was still good (Again, thanks to Rodrigo!) Finally found the back pool (up the stairs to left as you walk into the reception area from the front entrance) Good volleyball game going, and this palapa bar was open. (shoulda used sunscreen)
Location is EXCELLENT. Walking distance to everything you need. Their small market is right outside the Marina gate, pretty well appointed, with internet access as well ($2.00/15 mins)
We strolled down to the Mango Deck on the beach,and after awhile, the vendors can become a little trying. Came to appreciate our space on the marina. All in all, a really enjoyable visit, planning again in May '06!

10 Thank MATER1962
San Diego, Ca
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2005

We chose to go to Cabo San Lucas to use the a 3 night free stay at the Marina Fiesta received as a gift for attending a time share presentation in San Diego. We decided to stay a few days at an alll inclusive resort prior to moving to the designated hotel. First advice, go for the all inclusive packages, they are a much better value. For less than the price of the room at the Marina Fiesta you can stay at one of the many more modern and comfortable resorts in Playa Medano.

Our experience at the Marina Fiesta was terrible starting with the awful smell of the room due to the cleaners they use. I could not sleep with this smell and the next morning I had to call housekeeping to request an air freshener.

Worse of all, the hostess called to offer a welcome package since we were guests coming through a certain travel agency. This was only an invitation to attend another time share presentation in which we had no interest what so ever. We explained that our stay with them was received as a prize for attending a previous presentation in San Diego and we were told that they were not giving discounted rooms for people to attend presentations in other cities but to get to know their program. I asked to talk to the agency who had given us the travel voucher but she insisted that if we did not attend we would have to pay $660. And this went on and on for the 3 days in which instead of relaxing as we wanted we were contacted by different people to whom we had to explain the story from the beginning.

Our agency had offered us an upgrade if we attended another/ their presentation in Cabo but we chose not to get an upgrade to avoid doing so. However, the hostess lied to us saying that our room was upgraded even when the front desk agent and her manager had said something different (i,e. that we had the most basic room). They were determined to force us to go one way or the other even by lying to us. I recommend you stay away from liers and trouble.

4 Thank investigad0ra
Dear Guest Thank you for your review

Marina Fiesta Resort and Spa
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2005

Location, Location, Location. The Marina Fiesta has a perfect location. You are within walking distance to restaurants, bars and the beach. The rooms were big. They were nice and clean. The main pool area itself was small compared to other hotels. We never went to the back pool. The main pool was never crowed. We went Labor Day week and boy was it HOT. September is the hottest month in Cabo. We will not go back in September, but we definitely will go back.

Restaurant tips – Sea Queen – Seafood. It was excellent and air-conditioned. They have an extensive Sushi menu that is separate from the dinner menu. Our waiter was great. I’m very picky when it comes to eating fish, so I was a little hesitant to order something new. I did try a dish recommended by our waiter. It was wonderful. I can’t remember what it was called. It was Sole and it had black beans and it was a little spicy. My husband had the Sea Queen Lobster. Yum! Don’t miss this restaurant.
Romeo y Julieta – Italian. It was excellent also and yes it was air-conditioned. My husband loved the anti-pasta salad bar ($6). It could have been his main meal, but it wasn’t. We both had homemade pasta dishes. Very attentive wait staff and manager.
If you love Italian, don’t miss this one.
Margaritaville – Mexican. The BEST Margaritas in Cabo. Located along the boardwalk in the Marina. The food was very good. It was your typical Mexican menu.
No air-conditioning, however they did have ceiling fans and there was always a nice breeze. It’s a great place to meet friends and start the evening off with a giant margarita.
We were there everyday.
Lorenzillo’s – Seafood. The food was very good, but pricey. We had the best waiter in Cabo, Francisco. Francisco always had a smile on his face and was very accommodating to our every want or need. They have an extensive seafood menu. We had shrimp appetizers, surf and turf and a shrimp dinner. We were very pleased. The inside eating area is air-conditioned. If you want to eat inside, I would suggest reservations. We ate outside on the open-air patio. It did get uncomfortable towards the end of our meal, because there was no breeze that night. We were going to leave, but then Francisco moved us inside. We stayed for after-dinner drinks and desert.
Mi Casa de Mariscos – Mexican. The restaurant itself was beautiful. Unfortunately, that’s about the only good thing I can say. Next….
The Shrimp Bucket – Seafood. They did have GREAT coconut shrimp. Lousy service and terrible margaritas. Next….
The Office – Beach restaurant. We were frequent visitors to the Office. It’s about a 2 or 3 block walk from the hotel. We had breakfast and lunch there. You have to try the shrimp omelet for breakfast. You don’t get tiny little shrimp pieces. You get about 7-8 nice sized whole shrimp. It will definitely fill you up. The margaritas are very good also. The Office is great for people watching. The vendor’s will hound you, however. It is right in the heart of Medano Beach were all the activities are located. If you missed the Office, you missed Cabo.
The Fish House – Seafood. They advertised that they have air-conditioning, No, they had fans blowing around hot air. They did not have the advertised live lobster either.
My dish, fresh fish with a mango salsa, was very good. My husband had the Shrimp Spectacular and it also was very good. Friends of ours had the coconut shrimp and it was terrible. My advice - go to Sea Queen.

Activities - You have to do the ATV tour. We booked through Rancho Tours. We did the Beach Tour. It was a blast. They suggest you wear long pants. I did, but I was sweating like a pig. Wear sun block, a sports bra (women) and a cup (men). Quoting my husband, “it’s a ball buster”. I would suggest that you each get your own ATV. If you do a double, you will get beat up. I had my own and it was very easy to navigate. My other suggestion would be to bring your own bandana. The ones they give you smell like they sprayed a disinfectant or something nasty on them. It was not pleasant.
Jet Ski’s – we did a double. It was also a blast. We had breakfast at the Office and walked out and rented a jet ski. Life doesn’t get much better.
Lover’s Beach – we took the water taxi over. Tip, go early. We got there around 10:00. We were the only ones there. It was great. It got crowed around noon. That’s when we left. Beware, there are no facilities what so ever. It’s a deserted beach. Take care of business before you go. That’s all I’m saying about that.
HAVE AN AWESOME TIME!!!

• Stayed September 2005
21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2005

The hotel was pretty nice. Check-in went smoothly and the employees were friendly. After check-in the timeshare people will try to talk to you and offer you a free breakfast. We didn't sign up for the breakfast and the timeshare people left us alone. The room was fairly nice and we enjoyed a view of the pool and marina. The AC in our room didn't work too well for three of the eight nights we were there. The room itself was fairly clean when we checked in, but the bathroom was a little dirty. The pool area was nice, however about 2/3 of the pool is about 6 feet deep, so if you can't swim most of the pool is useless. The hotel itself was in a great location, since it was pretty close to everything. If we were to go back to Cabo (which we aren't) we would stay at this hotel again.
This paragraph has nothing to do with my review of the hotel, but is only my feelings on Cabo itself. We were not impressed with Cabo. We are from Phoenix, AZ and the when we saw the scenery we felt as if we never left home, since it is still desert. There didn't seem to be much to do in Cabo itself unless you like and can afford to go fishing or if you really like the party scene. Medano beach wasn't that impressive especially since there are bars and restaraunts taking up all the space, we couldn't lay a towel down on the beach unless we wanted to walk pretty far down the beach. We have been to several places in Mexico and the vendors in Cabo seem to be a lot less pushy than other vendors we have encountered. We would much rather have spent our money going someplace that we have already been and loved like Hawaii or Jamaica.

• Stayed September 2005