“Great time in Mexico”

Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
northeast harbor, maine
“Great time in Mexico”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

The chief advantage to the Fiesta Marina is its location. The first day my husband and I simply walked around the marina and spent the afternoon in our rented car cruising up to Todos Santos, on the pacific side of the peninsula. We arranged for all-inclusive accomodations which paid off well for breakfast and drinks. Lunches were OK, but dinners were awful - skip these.

Remember, this is Mexico. Tell the time share person firmly that you don't want to give up your vacation discussing time shares, unless that is your goal. My husband and I estimated that we wasted an hour of our vacation being hustled first, by the Hertz guy, and then the timeshare lady - all after crossing the country from Maine and before we got to our room. If you're a good liar, or can honestly say so, tell them you already sell and own a timeshare. As for the hustlers around the hotel perimeter, act like you don't see them or keep saying "All set, thank you!"

The room was comfortable. One queen bed was firmer than the other. The shower was older but the hot water was great. Our room was off the pool area so we actually had Wifi in our room, although it was faster out on the porch. Where Wifi was concerned, we quickly learned that the high traffic times slowed the system considerably.

Excursions we arranged through the concierge were terrific - ATV, water taxi and deep sea fishing. We recommend spending the extra money on the big white boat for snorkeling (and a delicious lunch and free drinks) and the 28+ foot boat for fishing.

Staffing over all at the Fiesta were friendly. Joquin at the breakfast bar was gentlemanly and efficient. Have a great time!

1 Thank felicia f
MarinaFiestaResort, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thanks for your comments and we will definitely talk to the timeshare people because the idea is not to bother. Hope to see you again on your next trip. Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
Redondo Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

This hotel is in the heart of the marina and not on the beach. If you are looking for direct access to the many restaurants and bars located throughout the marina this place will be good for you. We stayed in a room that hasn't been updated in years. The space is good but the decor is dated. We also had small ants or bugs crawling all along the bathroom and other areas - finding them on my toothbrush was disgusting. There are two pools and one is the "quiet" pool that almost no one goes to - I loved it there although we didn't have pool service until our last day. One thing to note: we were there on an incredibly inexpensive deal which required we attend a timeshare pitch. Because of this I am sure we weren't put into the best rooms or area of the resort.

Breakfast buffet is great with made to order omelettes, many other hot options as well as cereal, tons of fresh fruit, yogurt and fresh juices. Snacks and lunch at the onsite option, La Palapa, was fine-nothing spectacular but good pool food.

The other all inclusive restaurant options were hit and miss (they are all outside of the resort property but right next to it. La Cantina was disgusting but we did enjoy our meal at the Japanese place, Imomo, as well as the meal at Baja Lobster (where my husband ordered off menu). Also tacos as Fish n Chips were good for lunch.

Since we were on our babymoon the party atmosphere of the area and the hotel were not what we were looking for. For this trip I would have preferred to stay at another resort that was more quiet and didn't have groups of young men partying at the pool all day and into the wee hours of the morning and banging on doors and ringing doorbells as they walked by.

Service is slow pretty much everywhere but the servers are all very nice and polite. They won't bring your check until you ask out of respect so if you are in a hurry be sure to request the check when they clear your plates.

We will be back to Cabo but not to this hotel. Will definitely come to the marina area for shopping and a bite but will stay somewhere on the corridor.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
RicardoU, Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 13, 2016
Dear Guest

Marina Fiesta Resort and Spa
Kansas City, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

My best friend and I stayed at Marina Fiesta and enjoyed every minute. The staff is very friendly and eager to serve. The pool servers were very attentive and friendly, especially Dagoberto Rojas. He took very good care of us...always bringing us drinks, smiling and having fun with us. The servers made our stay at Marina Fiesta very enjoyable. The restaurants are good and conveniently located. I would recommend staying here if you want to stay in down town...everything is within walking distance, the price is great, the staff is friendly and it's a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
MarinaFiestaResort, Guest Relations Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Your words keep us moving to do it better, it´s great reading a coment like yours, We´ll be waiting for you on your next trip. Regards
Beverly Hills, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

This is my first review! Hubby and I, mid 40's, have been visiting Los Cabos 2-3 times per year for 8 years
I decided to write some reviews because we did find SOME reviews helpful. I will say that some were obviously written by people paid, or inspired to in some way, or had some agenda, good or bad, to write them. I say this is true for hotels, restaraunts, fishing charters, and other activities.

We decided on Marina Fiesta this time because of its location on the marina. Being able to walk places was good. We like the exercise. The music/noise coming in at night was a bit intrusive, except the night we over indulged and could have slept thru a rock concert!

The room we had was pool level, and we liked that. The facilities are maintained well - a bit older in some cases but still nothing to really complain about. We had an issue with our tv on arrival and received prompt attention.

We find that all housekeeping in Cabos to be like the laid back approach to life in general there, so some days our room was attended to earlier than others. We returned one day at 4pm and the maid was just finishing.

Over all it is an adequate place to stay. Not high end, not budget. We will stay again, but will continue trying other places too.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your comments. We are pleased to read that we make you feel at home. See you back soon.
Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013

Just got back from an amazing week staying at Marina Fiesta (April 6-13, 2013). Check in was super quick and easy. The ladies at the front deck were very sweet and helpful. The rooms were super clean and the AC worked great. I had read a few reviews that said the pool area wasn't very clean but there were constantly people out scrubbing and cleaning the place. The pool maintenance man was named Manual (who I believe works 24/7) had the pool spotless everyday we were there! A special shout out to Dagobeyto Rojas (Dago) our pool waiter. Best service ever from this young man!!! I always laid out on the opposite side of the pool from the bar area and he would RUN over to me to make sure I had a everything I needed. I've stayed at all inclusives before and the quality of food at Marina Fiesta is above average. A few helpful hints..take some extra ones $$ so you can tip your wait staff. I tipped everyone from the lady that made my omelet in the morning to the person making sushi. They deserve it!! Can't wait to go back to CABO!!!

This place is within walking distance to everything downtown and a few blocks from the beach. I loved not needing to pay for a taxi as I've stayed further north before.

It's unfortunate that people wrote negative reviews about this place because I think it's a great little resort. I question their expectations of a three star hotel because for me this place far exceeds three star. The last place I stayed was the Royal in Playa Del Carmen and it was a six star hotel. Obviously there were some differences but honestly I had just as much fun staying at Marina Fiesta as I did at the Royal. **Only negative is that they don't stock VODKA in the room :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

First time to Mexico, best time ever. Antonio and his co workers went all the way to help us at everything, thanks people. we arrived late, after 9pm so couldn,t get any dinner that nite but had no way of finding anywhere else to go to eat.

Room Tip: rooms near lobby a little noisy
1 Thank fredp220
Antonio says hi and we hope your next visit. Thank you.
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I booked a 5-night stay via LivingSocial. I wasnt sure what to expect. Reviews seemed a little mixed and I'd not booked anything significant via one of these sites. It was a little bit of a roll of the dice and I expected there would be hiccups. I was so pleasantly surprised by how we were treated and how much fun we had.

We had one of the lesser expensive rooms; in the back overlooking the smaller rear pool. The room was big, clean, and comfortable. A fridge, microwave, hotplate, and coffee maker were really helpful and appreciated. It was quiet for the most part save one night with a few drunken hotel guests.

The hotel is right in the marina. If you're looking for a beach scene watching the waves and sipping margaritas, you wont get there here. The main pool is good sized and clean and the service was very good. We enjoyed being right in the marina. Out the door and walking distance to any of the fun bars like Cabo Wabo and the Giggling Marlin.

We did the all-inclusive bit. I have done several of these and didn't have super high expectations. I was very pleased and surprised by how they did it at this hotel. The group that owns the hotel also owns 5 or 6 restaurants immediately adjacent to the hotel on the marina. They probably could have done a little better job explaining all of this to us when we got there but we sorted it out and the wait staff were patient and helpful. You'll need to chose which restaurant you want to have dinner in and make reservations during the day (I think before 5p.) There's a very good seafood restaurant (the Baja Lobster) and a reasonably good and more casual restaurant called "Jacks." "The Cantina" offers fairly pedestrian mexican food which is fine but not exceptional. The hotel also owns a more formal mexican restaurant which is not part of the all-inclusive plan; they fed us there one night because we'd had a challenge the previous evening and we had one of the best meals I've ever had on vacation! The breakfast they serve buffet style near the pool in the morning was very good. I was quite happy with the food.

Here are some other observations;
* Wendy the concierge is fantastically helpful.
* Tipping. The all-inclusive covers tips but I felt better tipping a bit. At the pool, I tipped the waiters $5 or $10 when I sat down and always found we were well tended to. I always made sure to leave a few bucks after lunch and breakfast. Seemed like the reasonable thing to do and I appreciated how hard they worked looking after us.
* They say the pool bar is open until 10p. I think that's probably more optimistic than what we experienced.
* The "free" red wine is palatable but I found I was much better off sticking with beer and well drinks. I suppose if I thought about it for more than a minute, it might have occurred to me that Mexico's not exactly a world wine capital.
* The little market attached to the hotel in the marina sells gallon jugs of bottled water for $1.50. You don't need to stop at Walmart and schlep in 200lbs of bottled water
* We ate "off property" one night (having forgotten to make reservations) at Alexanders on the marina. My girlfriend is a chef so pays attention to things I might miss; we had an absolutely exceptional meal. We had the cesar salad, chateaubriand, and some crazy-on-fire coffee thing all done table side. It was a gas :)
* The "Cabo Escape" "sunset cruise" (aka "booze cruise") was included in the LivingSocial thing. It was exactly what you'd expect and we had a blast!
* We got the offer of the timeshare pitch from the hotel (sit through the 90 minute presentation and they take you ziplining or horseback riding or something.) We declined and it was never brought up again (which we appreciated.) The timeshare gal offered to run point on helping us get things scheduled (like dinner etc) but we were better off working with the concierge. That seemed like a good choice to have made.

We had a terrific time and really enjoyed how they had the "all-inclusive" thing laid out with the restaurants etc. I'd go back for sure. I dont think I would take my kids. Not because there's anything inappropriate for them but the place isn't really geared to kids and I think they'd get bored. Great place to go for a few days with your sweetie though :)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 240 in the back overlooking the smaller of the two pools. This was not one of thei...
2 Thank John_B_Sea