“Serene Getaway”

Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I had tons of miles saved up so I went by myself to Marina Fiesta as a birthday present to myself to get away from New York. The resort overall was beautiful and felt sorta like a palace. I loved all the gardens and plants around the property and it felt way more upscale than what I paid.
I spent most of my days reading by the pool or the beach and it was super relaxing and not as crowded as I thought it would be. Everyone was really nice and positive and the vibe was great.
The night life near the hotel was great and felt sort of like Las Vegas with people from all over the US coming together to have a great time. I met tons of awesome people and the service was pretty good. The mojitos were great!
I also took advantage of a lot of the activities that that you can book through the hotel and ended up going whale watching and horseback riding, two things I definitely recommend for anyone. Prices were fair and the guides were good guys who knew what they were talking about and even had good senses of humor. Really fun!
I guess overall I was expecting a sort of second-rate hotel for the price I paid but was honestly blown away by the quality of service and just the entire experience in general. I don’t usually go on the same trip twice but this hotel really pampered me and I got everything I needed right away so who knows I might be back! The restaurant in the hotel is also really great and serves some of the best seafood I’ve ever had. Definitely try the Ceviche! I also didn’t get the feeling that they were really trying to scam me out of money however they could, which is a feeling I got in other parts of Mexico because I was American.

Room Tip: I liked to have a view of the ocean because it was just so calming and really brought the experience...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Mari D

Reviewed November 4, 2011

I know this resort well as I've been an owner of a number of weeks in the past and although I currently DO NOT own at Marina Fiesta and own at another property, I appreciate many things about the Marina Fiesta. I wasn't going to write a review and was just checking to see what others are saying these days but was motivated to write this after reading one of the last reviews that was nonsense! NEVER in my experience has the Marina Fiesta ever been petty about taxis to or from the airport. Most Decent resorts WILL NOT allow you to buy liquor off premises and drink it around the pool or common areas-That's just common sense and knowledge, and there are taxes that are charged on Hotels in most North American destinations including the U.S. and Canada and Mexico. I have caught fish in Cabo and Unless you make a deal with a restaurant to give them some of your catch in exchange for cooking your catch, they WILL CHARGE YOU a small fee. Ten bucks seems pretty reasonable to me. I think it's unfare when inexperienced traveller's or arrogant people give negative feedback on a resort when it's NOT justified. That review should probably be removed as it's just not a fair review...Now before you assume I have a vested interest in the place I do not.
As mentioned I used to own time at the Marina Fiesta and although there were some frustrating moments, there ALWAYS are no matter what resort you own or stay at. Is the Marina Fiesta Perfect...No...BUT if you want good value and large rooms with probably the BEST location in Cabo, then This is It! It can be noisy as it is right on the Boardwalk near restraurants and bars, but the views of the Marina are fantastic. My guess is the last reviewer of which I speak probably beat them up on price rather than negotiated a better room rate and probably didn't tip either! If you want a great location near the action and hustle and bustle of Cabo San Lucas, I think it's hard to beat it here. I will be spending a night there this Christmas with my party of 5 prior to moving to my vacation time at a resort on Medano Beach. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort to ANYONE and you can contact me if you'd like more info and a more Unbiassed review.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank Jim A
Reviewed November 4, 2011

We just returned from a fabulous stay here. My fiance took me to Los Cabos for a birthday getaway. This is my 6th visit to Cabo and our first time staying on the Marina. We decided to stay here because we wanted to experience another side of Los Cabos besides the beachfront side. The Marina Fiesta is in a great location, especially with the new surrounding developments, like Luxury Avenue next door, and Puerto Paraiso mall. When I first visited Cabo many many years ago, the Marina area was still not developed. Now, the new restaurants in the Golden Zone and shops remind me of my visits to Monaco and the French Riviera. Our stay at the Marina Fiesta gave us access to most of the great restaurants, given that we selected the All-Inclusive plan. We got to try most of the restaurants and drinks under the All-Inclusive plan and we highly recommend it to those who are considering it. The food and drinks were great. We enjoyed the swim-up bar and the pool. The service at the hotel was, overall good, especially the service from the two waiters at the Palapa restaurant with the same name, Carlos. Actually the whole staff at the Palapa bar and restaurant were for most part, friendly. Service and friendliness at any hotel ranks very high to us, especially if we are spending money to stay there instead of elsewhere. However, when we visited their sister property, Hacienda Encantada, we found the staff there to be very friendly with everyone we came across greeted us as we toured the property. The Marina Fiesta and Hacienda Encantada are owned by the same owner and we considered booking at the Hacienda at first but then decided to experience the Marina area instead. However,given the friendliness of the staff at Hacienda, we may consider staying at Hacienda Encantada at another time. The owner, Mr. Macias-Duenas, should think about making sure this culture of friendliness is consistent among his properties. The Marina Fiesta is an older property with some rooms needing renovation. We initially stayed in an older room which was adequate (with a great view) until brown water started to flow from the sinks as I was brushing my teeth. No bueno. So, my fiance complained and requested another room, which was granted, after a couple of conversations with staff. We appreciated the manager for his responsiveness by granting our request as the staff's explanation of the brown water affecting all of the older rooms convinced us that we needed to switch to a renovated room. The renovated room, with a better shower and clear water, was definitely better for us. Marina Fiesta is a great property with a great location and deserves to be updated and renovated throughout.

Overall, I would recommend this place and we would definitely stay here again to experience the Marina area and restaurants again. I also hope that, before our next stay, the hotel management will take note of my comments.

Room Tip: Try to get a renovated room
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Soulfultrvlr
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I heard from a friend that this was a good place to stay in Cabo so my family gave it a try. We were definitely impressed with the service, from the time we first came to the front desk we were pleasantly surprised at how friendly and accommodating everyone was. Even the maids were friendly and seemed happy to do their jobs.
The resort overall is very clean and well-kept and it’s obvious that the employees take pride in their work. We never had a single issue with cleanliness and whenever we needed anything we called the front desk and they helped us right away even though we had some weird requests.
Not sure what the guy below me is talking about regarding the who taxi thing, I found our taxi prices to be pretty reasonable and never felt scammed.
I’ve stayed 6 different resorts in Cabo and I’d have to say Marina Fiesta is hands down my favorite. It’s right in the middle of all the action in Cabo, like the mall, the restaurants, the marina are all close by. The service is impeccable, the drinks are good and reasonably priced (especially during happy hour!) and it’s just a relaxing and good place to say. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The higher floors obviously have better views, but we like being close to the pool for easy access...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Richard W
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I love the location at Marina Fiesta. It's so nice being able to walk pretty much anywhere we want to go. The beach is super close. The only problem I had this year was checking in. They tried putting me in a room in the back of the hotel with a view on the street. I stayed there one night, and they did move me the next day to a pool side room. We were right next to people that we made friends with the year before, so that was really nice. I love going back every year seeing the same people, and a lot of the same staff. Carlos at the bar is the sweetest guy. The new activities director is amazing as well. That was a nice change from last year. He really did try to get everyone involved in whatever he had going on. The guys at the front desk are a little grumpy, but maybe they just don't get enough sun. The rest of the staff is really nice. The rooms are a little old, but who cares I'm not taking the furniture home with me. The housekeeping girl was super sweet as well. I have a great time whenever I go to Marina Fiesta.

Room Tip: Anything but the back building. The back pool never has anything going on, and there's really n...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank normajn1
Reviewed November 2, 2011

One of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had in any country.

The timeshare sales pitch is very unfortunate but we know about that aspect of Cabo. What you don't know is that this hotel seems to have a policy of trying to make money on every aspect of your life. If you need a taxi to the airport, you can make private arrangements for $50-60 for a private van. If you ask the hotel to make your arrangements, they will charge you $70 and tell you that if you try to make private arrangements, they will stop your private taxi from entering their property, then they will have a heated discussion with you taxi driver, in Spanish, right in front of you.

I negotiated a reduced rate for my room as I was joining 4 friends at the hotel. When I went to check out, the hotel had added a 10% "tax" to my room rate, as well as the state tax of 14%, no reason, no explanation. They tried to tell me that the state tax was 24%, a complete fabrication. I argued and eventually got the 10% tax removed but it should never have been added in the first place.
At the pool bar, tasteless, watered down drinks sell for $7.00 US dollars, except for happy hour when you get 2 tasteless, watered down drinks for $9.00 US dollars. When we decided to purchase our own beer at the grocery store, we were told that we were only allowed to consume them in our rooms, not in the public spaces. You can get an awesome Margarita at the Harley-Davidson bar just a short stroll down the marina boardwalk for $6.00.

Cabo is a sport-fishing mecca. We were gifted some fresh tuna by some friends. The hotel charges $10 per person to prepare the fish and serve it in the restaurant. A bit steep considering we could have prepared it in our room but they did a good job searing it perfectly.

Overall the resort is a mess. Some of it is actually closed, the rooms need renovating very badly, the beds are terribly uncomfortable and old, the rooms are only cleaned every second day and then late in the afternoon when you want to be dressing for dinner or having a siesta.

The hotel is located on the Marina so is convenient to shops and restaurants but expect tp pay dearly for everything because you are in the heart of the tourist neighbourhood. You would be better off walking a few blocks in to the heart of the town where you will find lobster dinners for $15.00, El Pollo d'oro, where you can get a 1/4 rotisserie chicken for 55 pesos, beer for $1.50 and all of the authenticate Mexican atmosphere you went to Mexico to find in the first place.

There are so many better options that I can not recommend this hotel no matter what the cost.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Suecelia
RicardoU, Manager at Marina Fiesta Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2016

Marina Fiesta Resort and Spa

Reviewed November 1, 2011

We once again we had a wonderful experience at Marina Fiesta. We had three rooms total for our group and Daniel was terrific in helping us get them all together.Our rooms were recently completely remodeled and they were beautiful. Everything is very clean and well maintained. The staff is terrific. We had lunch at the swim-up bar almost every afternoon. We only had dinner there one night on BBQ night and it was great, $22/person and includes all you can drink. We did not do the all inclusive because for us it was not worth it since we eat at various places during the week. Our main activity was scuba diving but I also highly reccomend taking a water taxi to Pelican rock/lover's beach from marina at $10 round trip/person. It was well worth it. The beach is beautiful and it is great for snorkeling.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple