All reviewsthe penthousecrazy lobsterno elevatorsmall tvsalvatore's italian restaurantsliding glass doorwithin walking distanceair conditionermin walkfull size refrigeratorliving areadowntown cabothe location is perfectfishing triprental carsan josenight life
Reviewed January 26, 2006

We stayed at Siesta Suites for awhile in January, and were pleased with everything: location, service, ambiance, etc. I picked it based on previous Trip Advisor reviews.

The staff (and the owner and his wife, who are there virtually everyday) make you feel at home. They treat you like....if you're staying here, you must be family. The units are very small and basic, but very clean. The big hitters for us (other than location and the other obvious benefits of that, such as not having to rent a car) were having a stove and refrigerator, and convenient, inexpensive Internet access. $3US for an hour of access.

I got the impression that alot of folks who were there were repeat customers. We met quite a few people who were there for two weeks or more. Most in their 40's-60's, I would say. Everyone I met was from Canada or Northwest US. Very friendly.

The disappointments were as the last few reviewers described. AJ is gone, and won't be back - so there was no restaurant or pool bar. Based on reviews, it seemed like it was a different place when AJ's Hideaway was open and the pool bar was operating. The pool area was like a ghost town. The owner hopes to have someone open another restaurant there by next month. They are working on it. Also, the owner told me he was trying to build more rooms. There is a demand for this place.

The entire time we were there, nobody used the pool/deck area except us (we relaxed on the lounge chairs while reading) and the cat. Also, there are reviews which say Siesta Suites is "quiet." That term is relative. You can hear the plumbing, the people next door and the craftsmen nearby, hammering leathergoods into the wee hours. You can also hear the bongo drums at the nearby steakhouse and loud singing at some local places. But, it's usually over before midnight. So, we got used to the noises in the neighborhood.

The BBQ grill someone asked about is on the small street-side patio between the 2nd and 3rd floor. Nobody used it the entire time we were there. It was a cold January, and not much social activity, what with the onsite restaurant being closed.

I totally agree with the person who posted on December 21st about Mama's (Mama's Royal Cafe --- which I went to because an article in the 1/16/2006 issue of Los Cabos News called it "the best Mexican Restaurant in Baja"). Don't eat there. We ate spicy food all over town for 8 days, but after breakfast at Mama's last week (on Hidalgo, right around the corner from Siesta Suites -- up from La Dolce), I became very ill.

All other food in the area was wonderful. They call Hidalgo Street "restaurant row." We ate at La Dolce, La Parrillada (new owners from Colorado), Crazy Lobster and Pancho's. Also Cabo Coffee, up Hidalgo toward the town plaza. Our very favorite was Pancho's. It's the bright red restaurant across the street and to the right on coming out of Siesta Suites. We ate there three times, sampling numerous dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner --- all were EXCELLENT.

Also, make sure to stop by Neveria San Francisco (ice cream parlor) three doors down to the left from Siesta Suites. Excellent homemade ice cream and the girl who serves it is from San Francisco, California.

The souvenir shopping (silver, pottery, curios, clothing, blankets, etc.) close by is great, and there is a Super Mini (small grocery) within 1.5 blocks where you can stock the fridge with water, sodas, beer, breakfast snacks, fruit, etc. Great neighborhood for covering all bases. Juan and the staff can give directions. They were fantastic with everything, including setting up tours.

Also, there is a microwave and full coffee pot in the lobby --- good place to start the day with morning "Buenos Dias" greetings. Also, a library in the Internet room. Very cozy.

14  Thank platinumWM
Reviewed January 20, 2006

I found this hotel on the Web. Great Location and at the cost of $60 per night. Advantages were the small kitchen and the big refrigerator did come in handy. The manager was freindly and accomodating. When I called the the 1-800 number to book the trip they told me the poolside restaurant was opened. When I arrived I found it was not. At no time of the day could I find sun poolside, and never did see anyone sitting out there. There are 4 floors, so if you don't like to climb stairs, you better ask for the first floor. No Elevator. Bed was as hard as a rock, literally a 8 inch matress mounted on Cement. The Website talks about drinks and dining poolside. This could only happen if you buy drinks and food outside on the street and bring it in. The restaurant is closed till further notice and has been for quite a while. I never did see the grill they spoke about. The place was very clean and quiet. There seemed to be a regular group of people staying there, mostly older couples in there 60's. At $60 per night it was as expected. While I was there I did find accomodations slightly higher and much more modern. Don't think I would stay there again.

6  Thank Compass16007
Reviewed January 20, 2006

my wife and i went down to cabo a year ago stayed at tha siesta and found out they had a great place called ajs where you could get some of the best food we have ever had...we were sad to come back to cabo and find out that ajs hideaway is not longer at the hotel, hearth broken ajs is closed. we will stay at the siesta again couse is good to be so close to all the action down town..good luck aj wherever yo are

3  Thank Curious1737