“Great value, wonderful location.”
Review of Tesoro Los Cabos

Tesoro Los Cabos
Ranked #38 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed January 25, 2012

My friend and I stayed here January 17 - 21. I agree with other reviews that the front desk seemed to be a little understaffed, and it would have been very helpful to speak spanish. They weren't able to find our reservation right away, but luckily I had printed out every confirmation and every bit of information I was given for the hotel and had it handy, so after a while, they were able to get us checked in. The room was average - sparsely decorated, and the bathroom show was in need of retiling - it was caving in in parts. The first thing we did was go to the pool, which wasn't much to speak of (it's a good thing they'll be remodeling it beginning in May - it needs it), and they weren't staffing the swim-up bar. We did get harrassed right away to do the timeshare presentation that Wyndham is offering. We ended up doing it, both to get them off our backs and because we were bribed with amenities (we got free whale watching and a dinner gift certificate). The staff didn't seem very interested in us after we completed the presentation though. The hotel was in the middle of everything, and that made it easy to find activities and restaurants on our own. Overall, this hotel was definitely worth what we paid for it.

Recommendations for travelers: bring plenty of singles/small bills with you - the hotel and most of the area attractions are all very hesitant to make change and often times do not have any, and EVERYONE wants a tip. And when they tell you to go straight out the doors to get to the hotel shuttle at the airport, listen - all they want to do is sell you stuff/timeshares. They call it the "Shark Tank" for a reason - go straight out the group doors to find the hotel shuttle people. The water is safe for americans to drink here. We drank it and didn't get sick. Don't buy the hotel's bottled water, go across the street to the OXO store and buy water/snacks there, it's much cheaper.
Also, make sure to take a water taxi over to Lover's Beach/Divorce Beach. Plan on spending a couple of hours to lay on the beach and explore, but visit the restroom before you go, because there are none on this section of the beach. Also, if you can, go on the sunset dinner cruise on the Cabomar boat, the food was fabulous and the pictures we got were gorgeous.

Room Tip: Get a marina view!
4  Thank Nicole D
Write a ReviewReviews (2,079)

Reviewed January 24, 2012

I stayed here with a friend for 6 nights. We had the marina view junior suite. I would not cheap out and get the city view... you might end up with a noisy room with the view of the dirty DQ sign, to put it in perspective. The location is great if you are looking to walk around the city and part take in the many activities that begin in the harbor. The main harbor is only a quick 5 minutes away. If I had to narrow it down 3.7 out of 5 stars is my rating. My only major complains is the front desk is highly understaffed for the size of the hotel. They should have 3 people at peak hours, not 1. Of the 6 nights we were there only cleaned the room and brought fresh towels 3 of them. Being pretty laid back that didn't bother me much, but I can see how some people might throw a fit over it. The breakfast buffet was just fine and tasty.

Room Tip: Harbor View!! A must
5  Thank PointSix
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Recently stayed at this wonderful hotel (Jan 5-12, 2012). Reception staff were excellent - no problems at checkin - at checkout I explained that our flight was leaving late in the evening ahd they suggested we keep our room for a late checkout without any additional fees. Housekeeping did a very good job of cleaning our rooms everyday and were very freindly and helpful. Breakfast buffet was very good with great selections. Marine view was well worth the additional $10 costs. The location of this resort was an added bonus for those wanting to walk around Cabo. Wonderful hotel and beautiful area - will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: Marine view
2  Thank Debbie A
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We were so excited for this Groupon promotion. I've always had good experiences with Groupon promotions, so when I saw this promotion for 4 nights in Deluxe Marina View room at Wyndham Club Tesoro resort for $299 plus free transport for 2 to the hotel, free breakfast and 2.5 hour dinner cruise I was expecting it to be great. However it was anything but great. When we made our reservations we were told we had to pay the $299 and the 14% tax prior to arrival at the hotel, so we did. When we arrived at the hotel after traveling 8+ plus hours, the staff was moving at turtle speed. The woman who checked us in asked for my credit card and when I asked why she told me "No, don't worry. Your bill is paid but we keep it on file for incidentals." Then she took a copy of her on-line confirmation print-out. We got to our room to pull open the blinds and stare at cement wall outside the patio doors. Every morning we were awoken by pounding, drilling, hammering on concrete above our room. On the 3rd day we got no wash cloths from housekeeping. We called to request them. We also noticed that one of our personal items was missing. We were leaving to go on the dinner cruise so we did not have time to report the lost. Sunday, 1/15/12 we went down again to ask for wash cloths and report our missing item. Day came and went, no wash cloth, no explanation as to why we were given the crappy room, no apolozies or acknowledgement that things should not go missing from our room and no housekeeping service that day. Monday, 1/16/12, we went out shopping for the day and came back to being locked out of the room. Went down to the lobby and explained that we had paid for any extra night and if we could be escorted back to our room we could show our confirmation paper or that the staff member who checked us in has copy to look it up. Instead, I was told that is not so and I would need to retrieve the information via the internet. I had been drinking so I could not recall any of my email accounts ID or passwords, etc. Finally, I told this woman how upset I am that all these things which have gone wrong and we're always being treated like we are making things up or lying. I told her about our missing personal item and then all of a sudden she found our reservation. We had to file an official police report that day in order for them to look into our stolen item. We never heard any follow-up regarding the "investigations". We still did not get any wash cloths or housekeeping service that day. Finally, Tuesday 1/17/12 and check out day. At the receptionist desk we were told we needed to pay for items from the room mini-bar that we didn't use, we needed to leave a tip for the breakfast staff although we left cash tips everyday and needed to pay our 14% taxes again. The staff could not speak English so the manager came up to address my "disruptive behaviors". Mr. Juan Meza was not interested in listening to any of my issues or concerns or the lack of respectful customer service we had received over and over again. Mr. Juan Meza just wanted me to pay the 14% and leave because I was being loud and disrupting the other hotel guests. He claimed to know nothing about the Groupon promotion although Groupon had sold over 400 such packages. His other 4 employees two female and two males, took behind him glaring, rolling their eyes with smirik on their faces and engaging in Spanish conversation. And I guess this type of behaviors is suppose to be calming to upset customer? After we were told we would not be able to leave until we paid the taxes, which we took as a threat that we would be put into Mexican jail, we signed the checkout paperwork. Their were all kinds of bell boys and other staff in the lobby, not one offered to get us a taxi or help us with our baggage. After waiting outside of the hotel for about 15 minutes, my husband finally went out to the main street and flagged down a taxi. The most disappointing this about this trip never once did we feel like anyone was listening or even cared that we were not having a good vacation experience. No one ever said "Oh, we're sorry this is happening and let's see what we can do to make things go better." Instead, it was like "Are you sure it's missing. Are you sure you drank it and don't remember? You can't have paid because everybody pays when they leave. You got the room type you paid for and we know nothing about any promotions." Except every person we talked to were there for the same Groupon promotion and were having similar issues. Will not be going back unless we get an apology and all paid trip and after their staff has had some serious customer service training!

Room Tip: The Wyndham generally has a good reputation and we have stayed at other Wyndham resorts in the past...
8  Thank Beebs507
WyndhamCSL, Gerente at Tesoro Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2012

In spite of the writers anger and retaliatory tone, I appreciate the feedback, and would like to take the opportunity to set the record straight regarding misconceptions expressed in this review.

1) Wyndham and Club Tesoro are two independent companies for which their reservation process and billing is different and independent.

2) We take very serious when a Guest Reports personal items missing, and always perform full investigations, in this particular case we found many irregularities in the report.

3) At the resort we have an honor system but do expect the customer to pay at check out for what the consume from the minibar.

We are truly sorry for not being able to provide the reviewer the Resort stay she was expecting, and for our short falls in our customer care regarding all staff who had contact with the reviewer. We have instigated further Customer Care Training to all staff and sent a apology letter, but as we informed the reviewer on site, we are unable and unwilling, to provide guests with all paid trips in exchange for not posting a negative review nor as a reward for posting a positive one.

We pride ourselves on our accommodations, amenities and guest services, and we express great concern if any guest feels that their expectations were not met in any way.

Wyndham Cabo San Lucas Resort

Reviewed January 20, 2012

Great hotel, great location, since they got new beds its all good. The restaurant could use work but there are other places in town to eat. So that is not a problem. I always get the Marina Suite room and the price is good and usually comes with free breakfast. No complaints.

I like it alot! Like Arnold says I'll be Back!

Room Tip: Get the Marina or King Suite!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2012

first off i want to say, the staff here is AMAZING. my friends and i left a very expensive bag in our room, inside of it was two digital cameras.. sunglasses and jewelry. the honest staff emailed us right away after we left and had everything shipped to us. i was so thankful for these good people!! Second, the hotel is in a perfect location. we are 4 young girls and were looking to go out at night, i felt more than safe and it was right in town so we didnt have to take taxis any where... all we had to do was walk! super close! it was an easy 3 dollar water taxi to the beach, who could beat that? the hotel its self was very nice and our room accommodations were as well. you wont go wrong staying here!

1  Thank Megan B
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We had a very pleasant experience at the Wyndham. The location is absolutely perfect right on the Marina, within walking distance to everything. The breakfast that was included in our deal was a delicious buffet that they changed up every day. The room was immaculate! Super comfy king size bed we nicknamed "the cloud" and a great balcony with a view of the Marina. Very attentive, friendly staff. Great bang for your buck!

Room Tip: The hotel stretches for 3 city blocks so a room near an elevator would be great.