My parents own a timeshare with the Villa group, and I traveled with a group of friends to stay here for vacation. I hadn't been in here in YEARS, so it was almost like experiencing it for the first time. Overall, there were good things and bad things, and I left with mixed emotions about the hotel.
All of our rooms were clean, well-furnished, and cool (an absolutely essential thing when visiting Cabo during the summer). They updated the rooms not too long ago, but the updates were a bit half-hearted if you ask me (granite countertops in the kitchen on top of somewhat older cabinets and appliances). Despite this, everything in our kitchenette worked fine. The bed was very comfortable and the shower and bathtub both worked great. In general, we were satisfied with our rooms.
In addition, the food at the resort was quite tasty and pretty reasonably priced with the gold card discount (the discount card you get when you listen to their time share schtick). Happy hour at the pool was great (two for one drinks) and we definitely took advantage of that every day. The spa was FABULOUS--probably the highlight of the trip for me. Definitely go--it's incredibly relaxing and a very high-quality experience.
The pool facilities are small. This resort has the smallest pools of all three hotels in the Villa group, and it shows. Finding open seating is nearly impossible unless you get up early and reserve chairs (something you aren't supposed to do, but everyone does anyway--more on that later). The adult pool is almost too warm, and finding shade is incredibly difficult. The beach is also a bit mediocre. The seas are rough, so half of the time, they don't put out chairs or even allow guests down (more on that later).
The rules at this place are IMPOSSIBLE to find out and enforced in the most maddening way. Kids would be splashing and causing a ruckus at the adult pool and no one on the staff would do anything, but when we went swimming at 8:15 pm one night, we got kicked out immediately even though MOST materials say that the pool closes at 8:30 or 9:00 pm. Similarly, we tried to take a walk on the beach one afternoon, and were turned away by hotel staff saying the beach was closed when, clearly, there were hundreds of people on the beach, splashing in the waves and taking a walk. We had to sneak over to the side of the hotel and climb over the wall--completely ridiculous.
Probably the most frustrating thing about this place is the lack of shade and chairs at the pool. The hotel rules clearly state that saving chairs is not allowed, but people do it anyway and the staff even contribute by taking money to save seats for people. It's ridiculous! We would come down to the pool and actually be there swimming all afternoon without chairs while we observed dozens of chairs with towels on them that NEVER had an occupant there. Incredibly, incredibly frustrating.
Overall, the stay here was good. There were more good things than bad things, and I think having been there I would be prepared to deal with some of the bad things more effectively the next time. If you go, be sure to ask for a room that isn't on the main floor for noise reasons. I would also recommend asking for a room away from the elevators.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa is a stunning escape for family getaways and romantic couple's retreats. Located on Médano Beach just one mile from downtown Cabo San Lucas, the exquisite resort offers the ultimate in lively entertainment, family-friendly amenities, indulgent experiences, and world-class service. Allow the sweeping vistas and gorgeous landscapes to render you speechless as you turn one of the 460 comfortable one, two and three bedroom suites, as well as private studios into your luxurious home away from home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, BookIt.com, Vacatia, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort And Spa Los Cabos
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Cabo San Lucas Villa Del Palmar
- Villa Del Palmar Los Cabos
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas
- Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos Cabo San Lucas