“not the best not the worst”

Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos
Ranked #30 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersSilver level
Holly Springs, North Carolina
“not the best not the worst”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

WE are time share oweners and traded into the Villa del palmer. Check in was easy and they shared out some empanados as we checked in. We asked for an ocean view and there were none. BTW the website is a bit ingenuous in showing the room. Their idea of a full ktichen and mine are quite different. The fridge was stocked with their expensive mini bar stuff and was small any way. there were 45 small coffee cups and glasses no wine glasses!. The room was not musty did smell with disinfectant on arrival but over all was clean. The daily maid service was a nice touch. We were not in the all inclusive which was fine. The hard sell to go to a time share appointment was VERY annoying they kept at for 4 days till we got a bit short with them. We heard the so called 90 minute appointment was more like 4 hours and the gift for me was not worth it. The grounds were very nice and we had no problem getting chaises on the beach or by the pool. The staff were very helpful for moving umbrellas or getting food or drinks. The grounds were very clean and it was a nice location almost across from playata de amour( lovers beach. The concierge was helpful in getting reservations and the bellhops helped to get a cab. We did not bother getting pesos and accepted the exchange rate we got a cab ride into the marina area was 7 usd and we gave a 1 dollar tip. I think their sister resorts are nicer and if and when I go again would stay at the villa del arco. We loved cabo and would go again

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,430)
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Firstly the staff was great-particularly Ivan the Bellhop. He was wonderful,professional and informative.The time share presentation was not the promised 75 mins(but then again they are never truthful) The main thing i wanted to write about was the condition of the hotel.We have stayed at their location in nuevo vallarta several times and it is a beautiful location and property. We expected the same here-it is not. Its dirty. looks like there was mold in our rooms. Tiles missing in the bathroom with black stuff around it-was honestly scared to look closer.The room certainly smelled musty and moldy. Our room was refurbished- we did get a peak at an unrefurbished room and ours was redone. The beds are comfy and there is every appliance you could use. The negative is the building itself , its about 30 years old. We could literally hear everything from the rooms around us-everything! Upstairs-either side-hallway etc. Our neighbors all around us were not doing anything out of the ordinary or being purposely loud. We could hear every time they used the bathroom-could tell what they were doing in there , could here them unload groceries and the crumpling of the plastic grocery bags-really we could. I don't want to go into everything we hear cause frankly its gross. The pool area was ehh-loud most of the day. Also pools were quite small for such a big hotel. We were thankful or room didn't face the pool.Please trust when i say we heard absolutely everything. I would choose a completely different hotel when visiting cabo because this just doesn't cut it.

Room Tip: if this is where you choose to stay-pick a room that doesn't face the pool. Or don't stay he...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lilmamba
villadelpalmar1, General Manager at Villa del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
We are very sorry to learn that your stay was not pleasant and that we were not able to fulfill your expectations. Please do accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused to you. Do believe your comments and observations will not go unnoticed.
Crary, North Dakota
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Great vacation. Had so much to offer for all ages. We did go to the Timeshare presentation. Christina Roberts was great. She wasn't pushy and really understood my husband and I. If we said yes or no, she wasn't going to over sell us something that wouldn't work out for us.
Only complate is they tried to charge me again for the resort fees. I had already prepaid them. So just becarefull when checking out if you prepay anything.
Looking forward to going back in a few years with our kids.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
We would like to thank you for your kind observation. Do believe it will not go unnoticed. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again on your future vacations.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Me and my wife spent 6-day all inclusive in Villa Del Palmar Beach Resort & Spa Los Cabos. The weather, the people and the nature in Cabo San Lucas are magnificent. A touch of american culture is seen everywhere. Upon our arrival in the hotel we were told "the room is not ready yet" and we were channeled to "our concierge" who lured us to a presentation not mentioning at all a word "timeshare". The next morning we spent a good 3 hours under selling pressure to buy something we never intended to. First morning ruined - priceless!

In Villa Del Palmar you need to sign a bill for EVERYTHING you consume. Even for a bottle of water you write your names, room number and signature. That creates the impression that the hotel somehow wants to control and maybe limit you, OR they do not trust their employees. In any case it is not a pleasant experience and we've never seen anything like that in many all-inclusive we've been.

Another unique experience in Villa Del Palmar was on the second day of our stay when my cell phone charger disappeared out of the power outlet I left it in the morning. It was just missing when we came back in the afternoon. I complained to the hotel receptionist clerk right away. In the next four days I asked multiple times what they do about the issue, but nothing happened. The best I was told that they checked in "lost and found" but the charger was not there. Certainly it could not be there because I left it in my room. As a result I was not offered even an apology nor any compensation. I've been in tens and maybe hundreds of hotels and I never missed even a toothbrush. So you tell me what to thing about Villa Del Palmar.

Roumen K.

Room Tip: Sea view better.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank RedCarter
We offer you our deepest apologies for the unfortunate shortcomings and the lack of service you experience at the resort. Do believe your remarks will not go unnoticed and actions will be taken in order to avoid situations like from happening to our valuable guests. We hope that in the future you give the opportunity to welcome you and change these experiences.
Yours truly,
Schaumburg, Illinois
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I own a timeshare at Villa del Palmar in Cabo. This was my 5th trip back and love it every time! The resort has upgraded the rooms and made the poolside area very nice. Loved the fire pit on the cool January nights! The quality of the food is excellent. We dined at Bella California and went to 2 Festival buffet nights. The customer service at the front desk and poolside was great. Sergio Lozano, as well as the other poolside waiters, was very attentive and helpful around the pool. Enrique is a great server in the Tortugas Sports Bar. We enjoy the walk to town after lazy days around the pool. The hotel has an in-house exchange so no need to find a bank. The deli and ice cream shop on the property are an added bonus. You will not be disappointed by the beach and the view!

Room Tip: Lower pool side rooms get more noise from the pool and the paths that wind around the property. Roo...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nancy A
First of all we thank you for your kind preference and for having taken the time to share your experience with others. We are pleased to know that you once again enjoyed your visit. We look forward to welcoming you once again at your Home away from Home.
Kind regards,
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2014

My wife & I did a 7 day all inclusive the last week of April 2013. Long story short it was a very pleasant experience and would rate it a 4++. The resort was very clean, the food good, and the service superior. We looked on this website and while there was the occasional negative experience, the consensus was positive and our experience was the same.

Fast forward 9 months and things had changed indeed. We did not bother looking at the recent ratings (mistake). With our all inclusive there are the restaurants at the 2 properties you can access (Villa del Palmar & Villa del Arco). While the Villa del Arco retained it’s excellent product and service, the Villa del Palmar had gone far down hill. The staff was so lean that service took way too long and the product was mediocre at best. Breakfast was by far the worst. Odd because just a few months prior it was great.

Also I picked up a moderate case of foodborne sickness the last night I was there (could have been the couple of lunches I had outside the resort). My mood further soured when they ran out of milk the following morning at the Villa del Palmar restaurant which was the only thing I could get down. The restaurant staff just threw up their hands and called it a day, so my wife had to run across the street and buy some milk at the convenience store.

We had no reservation about going back after our first experience, but now unlikely.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank michael t
We offer you our sincere apologies for this time not been able to provide you the quality and the service you had come to expect. Your comments are greatly appreciated as they let us know how we are doing and were we may need to make improvements. We truly hope that on your future vacations you could give us the opportunity to welcome you once again and make your stay a memorable experience. We can assure you, you will see a change for good when coming back.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I took my Mom on a vacation to Cabo 3 weeks ago. We signed up for the special, which meant we had to do the timeshare presentation. Turns out you have to spend nearly 3 hours as opposed to the 90 minutes they advertised; however, some of that time is taken up by breakfast. The sales team will not take no for an answer. I had to basically start yelling and causing a scene to get them to leave me alone. Even though I said no, the folks at the resort do not treat you poorly because of it. We appreciated the cleanliness and the attitude of almost everyone was terrific.

It was disappointing that there was only one place for breakfast. It the restaurant on the beach that requires reservations. I believe the name was Bella. Recommendation: stand in line and wait for eggs to your liking to be made as the buffet food was cold. While most servers were good the breakfast waiter we had would ignore us, except when time to give you a bill. I say, give you a bill, because even though it's all-inclusive you do receive a bill that shows a total amount for food, drinks, whatever. We were told nothing would show up on our bill except any tips that we chose to include.

We found there are no waiters on the beach or around the pool until noon. And, even then it's one for an entire area. This is insane and it took forever to get a drink. On our first full day (after the timeshare presentation) my Mom and I sat on the beach. Because I didn't want my Mom walking up and down the stairs and get up and down from her chair, I went up to get us both a drink and a bottle of water. I was told I could only get 2 drinks and that included water. So I got 2 bottles of water, took them down to the beach, then came back up and waited in line again to get us a drink. Water should not be considered a "drink", but obviously the resort doesn't think this way. I don't know that the resort actually believes that a person needs to stay hydrated as no water is ever provided in the room. Each time my Mom and I ordered a drink we'd get a bottle of water at the same time. That's the only way we had enough in our room to last us through the night and the neck morning. Nothing remains open past 9:00 PM. If you ask the front desk for water, they'll refer you to the store across the parking lot to purchase it. This is not all-inclusive in my opinion; however, we figured out what needed to be done to keep us stocked with enough water day or night.

Because of tours on some days, only once did we sit on the beach. The waitress Paola was very nice and working really hard since she had no help that I ended up writing a tip of $10.00 US on the bill. The other two days we spent at the pool, we also gave a tip. Once I wrote 100 Pesos, the other I wrote $10.00 US. At the time of checkout, when we received the bill we saw $10.00 US equaled 123 Pesos. However, the first tip instead of 123, the bill showed 223. I went to the lobby to ask about it. The woman there pulled out the receipts and saw that someone changed my $10.00 to $18.00. When I said that is not what I tipped, nor do I make my 8's with 2 circles (the 8 was twice the size of the 1 & two 0's. She said she had to wait for captain of the restaurant to investigate before crediting my account the extra 100 Pesos. I told her that was alright because I would just deny the charge on my credit card. After saying this she reluctantly removed it from my bill. There was also another charge for $4.23 per day. When asked about this I was told it was for tips. I said I thought tips were included, but she responded saying they were for gardeners and maintenance workers, making it seem like I had to pay it. After going back up and checking my paperwork, I found this was an optional charge. I went back and had them remove it. I told them had they asked me about it beforehand, I probably would have paid it; however, since they tried to scam me out of it, I wouldn't pay.

One more thing. I read somewhere that I had to take a taxi to the airport upon my departure because of taxi union rules, and this return trip would cost between $60-$80 US for 1-4 people. I found out this is not the case. When I went downstairs to ask about scheduling a taxi, the hotel told me I could pay for a shuttle with them for $22/pp. Since there were only 2 of us it was cheaper than a taxi, even with a tip to the driver.

Would I recommend this place? Probably, but I would let folks know what to look for.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank pscert23
On behalf of Villa Del Palmar we offer you our most sincere apologies for not providing you with the quality and service you deserve. Do believe actions will be take in order to correct any service issue and increase our guests level of satisfaction. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again on future vacations and change this past experience.